V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 25, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #13,126 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
iPhone 4S sounds pretty good to me, but the soundstage is a bit congested. And I totally agree about the 4/4S glass vs 5's aluminum.....oh well, more marketing for new iPhone cases.
*Introducing the new iPhone 5: now with a super scratch-magnet aluminum back finish....so you better buy your cases today!* :p

That's called the V-MODA Metallo you know 
size]

Yup!

Quote:
Quote:
Burn-in is usually a process where the dynamic headphone driver's diaphragm is "loosened-up" after use (similar to how a new pair of shoes gets "loosened-up" after use). It's kind of a hit-or-miss thing with headphones since there are a LOT of factors other than the driver "loosening-up" that can affect how the headphone sounds after burn-in. For the M-100's in particular, I gave them over 300 hours of burn-in with pink noise and I noticed nothing different about them.

You head adjusting to the M-100's sound on the other hand is a different story and may or may not relate to burn-in if you're using it regularly.

The Retina iPod is a good portable media player. If you're looking to spend on something cheaper, a Sansa Clip Zip with a microSD card sounds pretty darn good too, especially for the [relatively] small price you pay compared to an iDevice.

Hahaha, you beat me to it! Clip Zip has a larger display compared to the older Clip+ model.
That or the Sansa Fuze (NOT the Fuze+).

Yeah, I would have moved away from iDevices a long time ago if not for 1, I am grandfather into the unlimited data plan from AT&T; 2, I have a ton of M4Ps and M4As from iTunes; 3, most cars (and mine) only has iPod connection and not a 3.5 mm jack.  Although I did already decrypted most of them, I just hate to keep importing CDs.  You have no idea how many times I almost got myself a Cowon X9 or Z2...

p.s. why not the Fuze+?

Fuze+ is known to have difficult, non-user-friendly [touch panel] controls and the UI is kind of a pain (though Rockbox can be installed).
I'm still waiting for Cowon to release an updated J3......

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #13,128 of 23,366
Quote:
how is the nexus 4? and zune hd is sound output quality?

Not sure about the Nexus 4 myself, but I have the Zune HD myself and I don't really like the sound of it.  Quality wise is it good, but it is less bright sounding than Apple's stuff.  Maybe I am just too used to how Apple master their iTunes songs and the sound of iPod/iPhone.

p.s. I am still waiting for my USB to micro USB cable for use of my Zune HD with the VERZA.  I hope it works and gives new life to the Zune.

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #13,129 of 23,366
Quote:
I'll explain my self better: i used to be a ****** newb about headphones before discovering this forum (still i am though..indeed!) but reading on  all reviews and stuff like that i expected these cans as big jump forwards compared to my old and cheapy Skullkandy Hesh headphones...

The super WEIRD thing is that (maybe just cos i'm a super noob as i said) i can't notice that huge gap between the vmoda and the hesh...not only that, but the hesh seems to have more powerfull and warm basses compared to the vmoda's one...

How is that possible? 
I knew that the vmodas weren't the ass "bass head" as Ultrasone pro 900 are.. but i expected them a little more powerfull than that piece of "Crap" of SC hesh..

For some people, it takes time to adjust to a new sound signature. I would say give it two weeks and if you are still unsatisfied, then return them.

Audiophiles and audiophile bassheads are looking for bass QUALITY over quantity. While a pair of headphones may give out a large amount of bass, this often results in excessive bass distortion, which is generally considered to be bad quality bass here. The extra boomy or bloated feel that can occur with excessive bass can drown out the rest of the sound spectrum. People here generally dislike headphones that produce bass that muddies up the rest of the sound frequencies.

People here are usually looking for well-done quality of bass rather than simply excessive bass. Most people here are looking for clean, unbloated, tight, accurate, detailed bass that you can hear the distinctive bass notes, textures, and details very clearly and the bass extends down into the deep low frequencies. This type of bass also minimizes bleeding into the mids and treble. This may not be what you are looking for.

That said, i also considered that i'm not listening to all that difference just cos i'm usining them, even if with a fiio e11, but with mp3s songs downloaded from youtube...could it be?

Music ripped from youtube will sound crappy!! To get the best sounding music for portable use, rip songs from CDs using 320kbps LAME mp3. If you are only going to use it with iPod/iPhone, the AAC file format is an alternative, but note that that is only usable with apple products. FLAC takes up a ton of space and does not work with the majority of portable music players currently available. I wouldn't go FLAC unless you are listening from a computer that has tons of hard drive space. For most people, it is difficult to hear the difference between 320 kbps mp3 and lossless compression (like FLAC).

And also, it may be that i'm noticing lots...no sorry, let's say TONS of little one, and bigger "imperfections" in every single track that i never used to find b4 with the hesh? Is that due the quality of the m100?

The imperfections you are hearing are due to the poor quality of the audio source files, not the headphones. A lot of consumer headphones are not accurate or detailed enough to pick up on those flaws, but the higher quality headphones allows you to hear things clearer and more detailed, so flaws in the audio source will be revealed. Really overly bass heavy headphones can also often drown out the details in the other frequencies, so it "hides" audio source imperfections. The M100 has a strong bass-emphasis but does not boost the bass to the point where it drowns out the other frequencies. Audiophiles are usually looking for headphones that accurately reproduce the audio source, so poor-quality audio files sound bad and good-quality audio files sound good.

I will be  gratefull to everybody who will have the WILL to answer to all the questions of a uber noob as me, thansk  to everybody in advance,

p.p.s. is it actually even possible to DAMAGE the headphones by turning too high the volume with the fiio e11?

I do not know anything about damaging headphones at too high of a volume. I imagine it is possible as speakers can be blown out for inappropriate use. As long as you keep the volume within normal hearing limits, I highly doubt you will have any issues. Just don't use headphones as speakers! lol. Be careful as you can blow our your eardrum if you go too high in volume. V-Moda has a very nice warranty policy, so you are covered there as well.

and what is the "burn time" or whatever it's called that hear about so many times?

Burn-in time is the idea that the sound of the headphones change after being used extensively as headphones have moving parts. This idea is a THEORY and has not been proven or disproven conclusively. Basically, you can just play your headphones at normal volumes using either white noise or pink noise or looping through your music for an extended period of time to "burn" them in. People have different ideas of how long it takes to burn in a pair of headphones. 

I personally do not believe in burn in, and many M100 owners report that there is NOT a significant change in sound with burn in.  For the M100 in particular, I do not believe the sound quality changes noticeable with burn-in. I had two M100s and I compared my "burn-in" pair with my new pair, and I could not hear a difference. 

However, if you do believe in it, just do it before you start critically judging your headphone's sound quality. I think 2-4 nights while your sleeping is enough and if you play your headphones for a week continuously, there will not be any more "burn-in" time required.

how can i say when the cans are ready to perform at their best? o.O?  
After listening to your headphones a lot for 2-3 weeks using high quality audio source material, I would say that whatever you think about the sound quality would be accurate for you.

(Yep, headphones are COMPLICATED, lol)
Don't worry about it or overthink it too much. Just get good audio source (like 320kpbs mp3) and then plug in your headphones. If you like it, you like it... if you don't, don't let the opinions of other people outweigh your ears.

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #13,130 of 23,366
I think you mean ALAC and not AAC, because the AACs I ripped from iTunes work with my Zune HD, and even most M4As I bought worked too.

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #13,131 of 23,366
Quote:
What to say? Thanks a train to everybody.

i dunno what kind of hesh i own to be honest, they're a version made by an artist with a colored skull on both sides, and the headband is colored as well... so i really don't know :|

1) Thanks a lot for the hint of downloading a converter flac into lossless formats for my ipod
2) I think the headphones are not burnd since the whole u described is not happening with my headphones..i had doubts just when hearing songs at low volume, at high volume they're pretty good and the basses are always full-bodied and powerful..so it was maybe jsut my impressions or, as u said before, it's just the mp3 quality that is suckin baaadly..
3) Thanks for all the answers, u've beeing more than HELPFUL, and this i appreciated that SO much.

p.s.

I never questioned my self about it...but i suppose that there are better mp3s players, and worst one...right? i'm goin a little bit OT but would be an  ipod retina (the last one)  a good upgrade for my audio configuration or will just be a waste of money? (3xx bucks after just spending another 38x would be simply madness, LOL)

For improving audio quality, the thing that makes the biggest difference is your audio source!!! This probably accounts for most of the flaws you hear in your music. Next, your headphones and EQ settings. Finally, an amp/DAC. The difference an amp/DAC makes for your audio is very small in comparison to the other factors. In fact, some members here believe that good amps should NOT change the audio quality, but only increase the volume.

If you cannot hear the difference between a low bitrate and high bitrate and lossless audio file or the differences between the Hesh vs. M100, then I don't think you should waste your time with worrying about the DAC in your music player of choice. Nowadays, the DAC in most gadgets are pretty good, and I think it would be extremely difficult for anyone here can tell which mp3 player you are using in a blind A/B comparison test using the same audio file and headphones.

The fact that you think the music sounds better at higher volumes makes me think that you just want more bass emphasis. You should try playing around with an EQ and seeing if an extra bass boost will make your music more enjoyable.

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #13,132 of 23,366
Quote:
I think you mean ALAC and not AAC, because the AACs I ripped from iTunes work with my Zune HD, and even most M4As I bought worked too.

Yes, I guess you are right. AAC can be played by some non-apple devices, but it is still not an universal file format. ALAC may be the one that only apple devices can play.

I would say that MP3 is the most universal format that is guaranteed to work with any device. WAV is another almost universally usable format. MP3 is compressed so smaller file size, while WAV is uncompressed. The apple formats are guaranteed to work with apple devices, but a lot of devices do not support them. Just something to note.

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #13,134 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I guess you are right. AAC can be played by some non-apple devices, but it is still not an universal file format. ALAC may be the one that only apple devices can play.

I would say that MP3 is the most universal format that is guaranteed to work with any device. WAV is another almost universally usable format. MP3 is compressed so smaller file size, while WAV is uncompressed. The apple formats are guaranteed to work with apple devices, but a lot of devices do not support them. Just something to note.

Correction: iDevices can play WAV, ALAC, and AIFF lossless codecs

WAV, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, APE = lossless codecs
MP3, AAC, WMA = compressed lossy codecs

FLAC, ALAC = compressed lossless codecs
WAV, AIFF = uncompressed lossless codecs

FLAC and WAV are commonly supported lossless codecs, almost all devices support MP3 lossy codecs.

AIFF and AAC are the Apple equivalents of Microsoft's WAV and WMA respectively.
ALAC is similar to FLAC now, but it used to be an Apple proprietary format.

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #13,135 of 23,366
AAC is part of the MP4 ISO standard, so if someone program and encode AAC correctly, it should play across the board.

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #13,136 of 23,366
i was @ the market? where was this!?

I was kidding! But I am a very good with my 6th sense!

As far as I know only the Matte Blacks are still in stock with Amazon, and all the others are out and won't be restocked until early April.
But I didnt order through amazon, i used vmoda website. Just curious because of reduced shipping times by a week ( on the ones other than matte black). I hope theyre not pushed back til April like someone said.

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #13,137 of 23,366
Quote:
But I didnt order through amazon, i used vmoda website. Just curious because of reduced shipping times by a week ( on the ones other than matte black). I hope theyre not pushed back til April like someone said.

Val is still waiting on the restock shipment, so you will still have to wait for the restock first then have V-MODA ship them to you.  Sorry :frowning2:.

p.s. I have Amazon Prime so I can get almost anything with 2nd Day UPS, which includes V-MODA's :).  It is a great way to save time and money (plus all those Prime videos) if you shop a lot with Amazon.

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #13,139 of 23,366
Quote:
Ok, I didn't think of this, thanks.  I guess we can do another accessory to get free XLs.

EDIT IDEA - perhaps any purchase >$20 on V-MODA.com gets free XL with proof of serial #. This way you can get extra cases, boompro, coilpro, slipmats, shields, shirt, 1/4", cables, in-ears, whatever you want.

i will wait for the word. But, if you can please confirm when the coilpro be coming out... with the pads!? cause i would like to do my shopping all in one stop and save some shipping fees

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #13,140 of 23,366
I was kidding! But I am a very good with my 6th sense!

Val is still waiting on the restock shipment, so you will still have to wait for the restock first then have V-MODA ship them to you.  Sorry :frowning2:.

p.s. I have Amazon Prime so I can get almost anything with 2nd Day UPS, which includes V-MODA's :).  It is a great way to save time and money (plus all those Prime videos) if you shop a lot with Amazon.

I do have prime. So youre saying shipping sucks from vmoda and I should cancel it?

Btw I want to see Val's chart on what gets bought more, white,matte black, or shadow. And numbers!

I see the shipping time for the Shadow and White M100s has dropped to 2 business days - does that mean I can expect my recent order to ship soon?

I am wondering the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back