V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 25, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #13,111 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
What source and format are you using?  Try them both without the E11 first and see if you can tell the difference.  You need to use better stuff than YouTube. Try ripping some CDs into FLAC or 320 bits ALAC or AAC instead.

Thanks for the prompt answer..i'm allready downloading couple of albums in flac format, unfortunately i cannot put them onto my ipod nano :frowning2: it doesn't recognize that format...

p.s. could u also answer to my other questions? :) would be so nice.. xD

You can use XLD on Mac, or Foobar2000 on Windows to convert from FLAC to Apple Lossless (A.K.A. ALAC) or WAV lossless formats, which iDevices can play.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #13,112 of 23,366
Quote:
Hi everybody guys, this is my very first post on this forum even if i'm following it since 2 months and reading tons of posts and thread about bass heads cans (in the bass head thread ofc)...

What to say? I just received my V moda m100 from amazon with that little beast that is Fiio e11 and what i've to say is:.... i don't know...!

I'll explain my self better: i used to be a ****** newb about headphones before discovering this forum (still i am though..indeed!) but reading on  all reviews and stuff like that i expected these cans as big jump forwards compared to my old and cheapy Skullkandy Hesh headphones...

The super WEIRD thing is that (maybe just cos i'm a super noob as i said) i can't notice that huge gap between the vmoda and the hesh...not only that, but the hesh seems to have more powerfull and warm basses compared to the vmoda's one...

How is that possible? 
I knew that the vmodas weren't the ass "bass head" as Ultrasone pro 900 are.. but i expected them a little more powerfull than that piece of "Crap" of SC hesh..

That said, i also considered that i'm not listening to all that difference just cos i'm usining them, even if with a fiio e11, but with mp3s songs downloaded from youtube...could it be?

And also, it may be that i'm noticing lots...no sorry, let's say TONS of little one, and bigger "imperfections" in every single track that i never used to find b4 with the hesh? Is that due the quality of the m100?

I will be  gratefull to everybody who will have the WILL to answer to all the questions of a uber noob as me, thansk  to everybody in advance,

Simeone :) 

p.s. I'm italian, sry about my bad english, i'm trying gettin it better day by day..

p.p.s. is it actually even possible to DAMAGE the headphones by turning too high the volume with the fiio e11? and what is the "burn time" or whatever it's called that hear about so many times? how can i say when the cans are ready to perform at their best? o.O?  

(Yep, headphones are COMPLICATED, lol)

I wouldn't consider burn-in something that will change the sound much, if at all, with the M-100.  The E11 can go loud and has a strong bass boost, so I suppose you could potentially damage the drivers at full volume.  The drivers would "purr" at maximum bass output.  They should never be so loud you hear distortion and I like to listen loud.  If you hear distortion, turn them down ASAP.  The E11 is a good inexpensive amp, but there are certainly better amps for the M-100.  Also, 256K files make a big difference with sound quality.  If you are hearing imperfections with the M-100 that you don't hear with the Hesh, it means you ARE hearing detail the Hesh doesn't provide and it also means your recordings are poor.  Garbage in=garbage out.  If you still can't hear the difference, you may just not be an audiophile and that's okay.  It's also a great way to save money.  By the way, I much prefer the M-100 to the PRO900.

@miceblue LOL- posted my comments before reading yours!

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #13,113 of 23,366
Quote:
You can use XLD on Mac, or Foobar2000 on Windows to convert from FLAC to Apple Lossless (A.K.A. ALAC) or WAV lossless formats, which iDevices can play.

Yes totally.  Just Google around for iTunes alternatives.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #13,114 of 23,366
What to say? Thanks a train to everybody.

i dunno what kind of hesh i own to be honest, they're a version made by an artist with a colored skull on both sides, and the headband is colored as well... so i really don't know :|

1) Thanks a lot for the hint of downloading a converter flac into lossless formats for my ipod
2) I think the headphones are not burnd since the whole u described is not happening with my headphones..i had doubts just when hearing songs at low volume, at high volume they're pretty good and the basses are always full-bodied and powerful..so it was maybe jsut my impressions or, as u said before, it's just the mp3 quality that is suckin baaadly..
3) Thanks for all the answers, u've beeing more than HELPFUL, and this i appreciated that SO much.

p.s.

I never questioned my self about it...but i suppose that there are better mp3s players, and worst one...right? i'm goin a little bit OT but would be an  ipod retina (the last one)  a good upgrade for my audio configuration or will just be a waste of money? (3xx bucks after just spending another 38x would be simply madness, LOL)

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #13,115 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks for the prompt answer..i'm allready downloading couple of albums in flac format, unfortunately i cannot put them onto my ipod nano :frowning2: it doesn't recognize that format...

p.s. could u also answer to my other questions? :) would be so nice.. xD

"Bad" headphones cover up the flaws in mastering and feel nice when you get used to them

Great headphones reveal all the details, and if you're listening to a bad quality file or from a bad source (most likely the former), you will notice.

Once you get good quality music to listen to on a good source, using good headphones, you can't go back. It will sound like a walky-talky.

Since I got my V-Moda's I moved from an HTC that is known for having a bad DAC into an iPod Nano, with higher bitrate MP3's and WAV's than I used to have. The difference is incomprehensible.

Also the M-100's won't need an amp, or at least not specifically the FiiO, as it is more of a bass amp, something the M-100's don't really need (The bass, at least in my taste, is JUST right). they are known for being easy to drive. My friend lent me his awesome E11 to listen to and while it boosts the performance on my Vsonic in-ears by lots, it just boosts the bass on the M-100's which is already just right, making it too strong.

Tip: the M-100's are best suited for electronic music. While the rest of the genres I listen to sound excellent (Rock, Prog, etc), it's like electronic music, specifically trance and house, gets a big boost.

TL;DR: Bad headphones sound bad. Moving up in quality, there's a line after which headphones won't improve much on sound until you improve your source gear and files as they form a bottleneck. After that, you're officially an audiophile. If you notice the difference enough to care.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #13,116 of 23,366
Quote:

i dunno what kind of hesh i own to be honest, they're a version made by an artist with a colored skull on both sides, and the headband is colored as well... so i really don't know :|

1) Thanks a lot for the hint of downloading a converter flac into lossless formats for my ipod
2) I think the headphones are not burnd since the whole u described is not happening with my headphones..i had doubts just when hearing songs at low volume, at high volume they're pretty good and the basses are always full-bodied and powerful..so it was maybe jsut my impressions or, as u said before, it's just the mp3 quality that is suckin baaadly..
3) Thanks for all the answers, u've beeing more than HELPFUL, and this i appreciated that SO much.

p.s.

I never questioned my self about it...but i suppose that there are better mp3s players, and worst one...right? i'm goin a little bit OT but would be an  ipod retina (the last one)  a good upgrade for my audio configuration or will just be a waste of money? (3xx bucks after just spending another 38x would be simply madness, LOL)

I have read that Iphone 5 has slightly lower audio performance than Iphone 4/4S, so probably not a worthy upgrade from purely an audio perspective.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #13,118 of 23,366
Quote:

p.s.

Believe it or not, but you can get equal or better sounds from SanDisk Sansa Clips for only $30-$60.  Cowon is very good to be more expensive.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #13,119 of 23,366
Quote:
so i ordered the vmodas and canceled immediately after it was charged via credit card and no my amazon gift card, freaking amazon doesnt even know which of their payment partners accept amazon gift cards...

Why not just buy them through Amazon? Amazon is a verified dealer so V-MODA honors the warranty through them. 

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #13,120 of 23,366
Quote:

p.s.

Burn-in is usually a process where the dynamic headphone driver's diaphragm is "loosened-up" after use (similar to how a new pair of shoes gets "loosened-up" after use). It's kind of a hit-or-miss thing with headphones since there are a LOT of factors other than the driver "loosening-up" that can affect how the headphone sounds after burn-in. For the M-100's in particular, I gave them over 300 hours of burn-in with pink noise and I noticed nothing different about them.

You head adjusting to the M-100's sound on the other hand is a different story and may or may not relate to burn-in if you're using it regularly.

The Retina iPod is a good portable media player. If you're looking to spend on something cheaper, a Sansa Clip Zip with a microSD card sounds pretty darn good too, especially for the [relatively] small price you pay compared to an iDevice.

Quote:
Believe it or not, but you can get equal or better sounds from SanDisk Sansa Clips for only $30-$60.  Cowon is very good to be more expensive.

Hahaha, you beat me to it! Clip Zip has a larger display compared to the older Clip+ model.
That or the Sansa Fuze (NOT the Fuze+).

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #13,122 of 23,366
Quote:
I have read that Iphone 5 has slightly lower audio performance than Iphone 4/4S, so probably not a worthy upgrade from purely an audio perspective.

That's why I didn't move to the iPhone 5 but got the iPod Touch 5th Gen instead.  The iPod Touch keeps the same chipset as the iPhone 4S so sound wise it's the same (at least for me.)  Besides, the material used for the iPhone 5 really is a step backwards compare to the glass construction of the 4.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #13,123 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

That's why I didn't move to the iPhone 5 but got the iPod Touch 5th Gen instead.  The iPod Touch keeps the same chipset as the iPhone 4S so sound wise it's the same (at least for me.)  Besides, the material used for the iPhone 5 really is a step backwards compare to the glass construction of the 4.

iPhone 4S sounds pretty good to me, but the soundstage is a bit congested. And I totally agree about the 4/4S glass vs 5's aluminum.....oh well, more marketing for new iPhone cases.
*Introducing the new iPhone 5: now with a super scratch-magnet aluminum back finish....so you better buy your cases today!* :p

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #13,124 of 23,366
Quote:
Burn-in is usually a process where the dynamic headphone driver's diaphragm is "loosened-up" after use (similar to how a new pair of shoes gets "loosened-up" after use). It's kind of a hit-or-miss thing with headphones since there are a LOT of factors other than the driver "loosening-up" that can affect how the headphone sounds after burn-in. For the M-100's in particular, I gave them over 300 hours of burn-in with pink noise and I noticed nothing different about them.

You head adjusting to the M-100's sound on the other hand is a different story and may or may not relate to burn-in if you're using it regularly.

The Retina iPod is a good portable media player. If you're looking to spend on something cheaper, a Sansa Clip Zip with a microSD card sounds pretty darn good too, especially for the [relatively] small price you pay compared to an iDevice.

Hahaha, you beat me to it! Clip Zip has a larger display compared to the older Clip+ model.
That or the Sansa Fuze (NOT the Fuze+).

Yeah, I would have moved away from iDevices a long time ago if not for 1, I am grandfather into the unlimited data plan from AT&T; 2, I have a ton of M4Ps and M4As from iTunes; 3, most cars (and mine) only has iPod connection and not a 3.5 mm jack.  Although I did already decrypted most of them, I just hate to keep importing CDs.  You have no idea how many times I almost got myself a Cowon X9 or Z2...

p.s. why not the Fuze+?

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #13,125 of 23,366
Quote:
iPhone 4S sounds pretty good to me, but the soundstage is a bit congested. And I totally agree about the 4/4S glass vs 5's aluminum.....oh well, more marketing for new iPhone cases.
*Introducing the new iPhone 5: now with a super scratch-magnet aluminum back finish....so you better buy your cases today!* :p

That's called the V-MODA Metallo you know 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back