V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 3, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #12,646 of 23,366
Quote:

You're totally right, but I can't see it being detrimental to the seal, I mean, the part of the pad that's conformed to my face is really what matters, isn't it? The gauze did compress quite a bit with use, and I can easily tell it's moulded to shape, but like I said, I can't see the inside of the earpad cushion's shape being what hurts the seal. I can't disagree that the pads would be a little shallower, but from memory (pun unintended), I don't seems to notice much of a difference, but it's been a while, so tifwiw. If my assumption is incorrect, then please correct me. I'm going by 'logic' which doesn't always work out for me lol.

And yeah, I wasn't expecting to keep these earpads in. Ever since Val announced the XL Cushions (I still like DD lol) I've been patiently waiting for them to be released and replace the stock pads/mod. Until then I'm fine with however the stock pads turn out (with or without the mod), theyr'e not the permanent pads I plan on using.

I'd like to take this time to throw it out there to those who don't want to 'stuff $300 headphones with paper towel to make ti sound how it should'. I understand the frustration that might lend to, seeing users such as myself being happy with the mod. However, Val's R&D team developed the pads to be MEMORY FOAM. It has to sink in; once the seal is optimal, the sound is optimal, and that's the point. For me it was a purely comfort issue as to why I decided to put in the mod, but a secondary result of the mod ended up having a more preferred sound. Keep in mind that every review/site/aggrigate blog site that's lended a high esteem award to the M-100 has done so without any mod, and I think more users here than not are happy with their M-100s sound without the mod. So just because a few people here have comfort issues, or report 'better' (subjective) sound with the mod in, shouldn't steer people away. Val's working hard on getting the comfort right for everyone, but that doesn't mean a modification of any sort won't make a difference. Take Fostex T50RP headphones for example. How many people mod that thing to get a preferred sound? And that involves much more than a couple rolls of paper towel or gauze.

You are correct in that it shouldn't hurt the seal, but the seal is not the entire equation.  If the foam is more compressed, it's ability to absorb certain frequencies changes.  Also, if the foam is more compressed, the "chamber" that the cup makes will have less volume, which would alter the sound as well.  This is to say nothing about your ears touching the cup which would alter your perception of the sound you are hearing.  My point was that, after this mod has been in place for an extended period of time, you cannot simply remove it to "go back to normal".  You would have to replace the pads altogether.  

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #12,647 of 23,366
Enjoy guys

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #12,648 of 23,366
Rig updates:

Clip Zip > E11 > M100

iPod Touch 5g 64GB > M100

I've only listened to them with the Zip-E11 rig since I just bought the iPod and I haven't put any music on it yet, but I LIKE what I hear so far. Got some looks from "fellow hipsters" at walmart today. LoL!

I am not qualified to do any in-depth reviews but this is definitely a worthy upgrade from the M80 that I used to own. Flat eq on the Zip and the E11 on Bass 1 and I was bouncing my head like crazy listening to my "Best of 80's-90's Pop" playlist. Treble was crisp, mids were a little tamed (which I like), and the Bass was amazing. Didn't cranked the volume to high to save my ears from this new experience and let them live another day.

As far as comfort, I have very small ears so from 1 to 10, I'll give it a 6.5 and hopefully it will get better with time. Can't wait to get the XL pads.

The only minor gripe I can think of is when changing the shields. The screws were kind of difficult to take out and also to put them back on. And the paint on the screws comes off easily. Also the paint is coming off a bit from the part that holds the earcups.

When I had the Custom One Pro the shields were very easy to change and the paint on all the parts really held well.

To sum it up, -as of yet- I have no regrets whatsoever with my investment on these babies.

Kudos to you Val.

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #12,649 of 23,366
Quote:
Rig updates:

Clip Zip > E11 > M100

I've only listened to them with the Zip-E11 rig since I just bought the iPod and I haven't put any music on it yet, but I LIKE what I hear so far. Got some looks from "fellow hipsters" at walmart today. LoL!

I am not qualified to do any in-depth reviews but this is definitely a worthy upgrade from the M80 that I used to own. Flat eq on the Zip and the E11 on Bass 1 and I was bouncing my head like crazy listening to my "Best of 80's-90's Pop" playlist. Treble was crisp, mids were a little tamed (which I like), and the Bass was amazing. Didn't cranked the volume to high to save my ears from this new experience and let them live another day.

As far as comfort, I have very small ears so from 1 to 10, I'll give it a 6.5 and hopefully it will get better with time. Can't wait to get the XL pads.

The only minor gripe I can think of is when changing the shields. The screws were kind of difficult to take out and also to put them back on. And the paint on the screws comes off easily. Also the paint is coming off a bit from the part that holds the earcups.

When I had the Custom One Pro the shields were very easy to change and the paint on all the parts really held well.

To sum it up, -as of yet- I have no regrets whatsoever with my investment on these babies.

Kudos to you Val.

wow, you're shields are really really well-designed!! I really liked how you incorporated the M100 name & V-moda logo into it!! Val should totally steal it & make it a design you can choose. I feel like some shields turn out looking really silly, but yours definitely looks sharp. i think the way you drew the skull by lazering the outline white & having the skull itself being black.

if i ever got custom shields, i would probably do my design like that way, b/c that really pops.

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #12,650 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Rig updates:

Clip Zip > E11 > M100

Kudos to you Val.

wow, you're shields are really really well-designed!! I really liked how you incorporated the M100 name & V-moda logo into it!! Val should totally steal it & make it a design you can choose. I feel like some shields turn out looking really silly, but yours definitely looks sharp. i think the way you drew the skull by lazering the outline white & having the skull itself being black.

if i ever got custom shields, i would probably do my design like that way, b/c that really pops.

Indeed! Love that design. Kudos TO YOU for that design. I'm going to commission a friend to design my next custom shield. It's just going be a matter of time (hurry up and restock forest green!), I'm really happy with my shields as is, it's just not an original design. 

Does anyone experience the same in having the
screws easily scratched when changing out the Shields with the Alan key ? I have the matte black and it spoils the look slightly.

The screws on the shields seem to be lowest quality part on the M-100.

Adds character imo. I like the 'it's been around' look that tends to happen with painted screws and stainless steel. I've got some paint chips along the edge of the forks, but it's character. For me at least. I'm one of those guys who wears clothes to death. If my band shirt has some holes on it, I'll still wear it cuz it's got character, and in some cases it's got a story, and that's how I feel about some of the scratches my M-100s have already incurred. 

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #12,651 of 23,366
Character? lol wut?

That's like buying a brand new Ferrari and not caring that somebody scratches the paint.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #12,652 of 23,366
wish it was the 28th.. i ordered a set on guitarcenter.com with the coupon and said it would ship on the 8th, now its telling me the 28th from customer service.. I just want my headphones!

does anyone have any exeperience with them and a titanium hd sound card?

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #12,654 of 23,366
Character? lol wut?

That's like buying a brand new Ferrari and not caring that somebody scratches the paint. :rolleyes:

Naw, Ferraris are more like jecklin floats, Farr too much money for an over glorified ego booster for an elitist

I don't know enough about cars to really continue the analogy but my M-100 is a warrior. I've dropped it a few times cuz I'm tall, lanky and as a result clumsy, but they have held up, with minor scratches and no worries. They're already great looking, super durable headphones, a few scuffs and scratches adds to that fact, and with age comes character.

I wear out jeans until I get holes in my pockets and wear out new shoes in bad weather just get them looking less fresh, so I'm no stranger to the 'tattered and worn' look, and its actually a part of my style
I'm not someone who needs things to look pristine, so I guess its all subjective, but in my case, a few paintchips from wear and tear definitely think it adds character. :wink:

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #12,655 of 23,366
Quote:

does anyone have any exeperience with them and a titanium hd sound card?

It's a pretty fekking awesome SC. It drives HD650's as well as my more expensive receivers, and exchangeable opamps makes it super easy to influence the sound signature.
Although I should warn: if your PC is prone to bus bleed, some external amps will pick up motherboard chatter. In my experience, using an e9 with the card is fine, but a tube amp like the Valhalla would pick up chatter like a stethoscope.

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #12,656 of 23,366
Ok, I just got my gold shields and BoomMicPro today and here is my quick unboxing and review:

Content:

Gold Shields:

Shields installed on my shadow and white:

BoomMicPro unboxed:

BoomMicPro out of package:

Right side volume control:

Left side mic mute button:

Bendy mic:

FYI, the BoomMicPro cable is a good foot longer than the one button control cable which is a bit long for me.  I have yet to test it in games or Skype so standby for impression.

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #12,657 of 23,366
THANKS FOR THIS!

Theres still no picture on the website and I don't know what VTF is supposed to mean.

But I figure you can buy the boom mic pro now?

I will wait for the XL pads before I order the boom mic pro.

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #12,658 of 23,366
@DrSheep

Those shields look awesome. You have two M-100's? Somebody just went beast mode. 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #12,659 of 23,366
Quote:
Rig updates:

Clip Zip > E11 > M100

Kudos to you Val.

Your portable rig is ****ing serious looking, very nice 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back