V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 25, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #12,541 of 23,366
Quote:
ooohh... sounds interesting. just like normal wire? how does that give you more depth?? please explain in vivid detail w/ pictures! heh :p

From my experience with the paper towel mod I assume that using wire would have a similar physical affect on the pads. The rolled up paper towels, when stuffed underneath the inner lining of the pads, pushes the padding out away from the driver and creates a few more millimeters of space between the driver and the surface of the pads. It also makes the pads a little stiffer because the memory foam inside the pad is compressed from the inside and pushed outward.

This is just an assumption on my part, but the paper towels because of their nature have a slight dampening effect on the sound quality as some have noted that it reduces bass. I imagine a rubber coated wire wouldn't affect the sound in the same way because of its consistency.

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #12,542 of 23,366
Quote:
From my experience with the paper towel mod I assume that using wire would have a similar physical affect on the pads. The rolled up paper towels, when stuffed underneath the inner lining of the pads, pushes the padding out away from the driver and creates a few more millimeters of space between the driver and the surface of the pads. It also makes the pads a little stiffer because the memory foam inside the pad is compressed from the inside and pushed outward.

This is just an assumption on my part, but the paper towels because of their nature have a slight dampening effect on the sound quality as some have noted that it reduces bass. I imagine a rubber coated wire wouldn't affect the sound in the same way because of its consistency.

oooh! so the wire has rubber around it. would someone be able to link the kind of wire you are talking about? I was thinking like a metal wire.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #12,545 of 23,366
ok first you get some of this wire or wire like it
than you bend the end like so. and wind it underneath the pads like a spring

it will lay in like this

i got a lot of depth as you can see

these are lp2s however i can say without a doubt that this would work with the m100s/ also this is where i got the "velour socks" that inspired me to use the wire(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/368310-REG/Garfield_SGARHS1_Headphone_Softie_Earpad.html)

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #12,548 of 23,366
OK, I'll admit, having more bass can sound super fun. I'm having a hard time listening on "no bass boost" mode. >.>

Also, having no channel imbalance at a very low listening level + bass boost allows more bass impact at low volume levels, which will actually be a welcome sound for when I listen to music in the quiet library at school. The bass boost at higher volume levels doesn't sound as clean as the ZO2 from memory, but the ZO2 had an emphasis on the sub-bass rather than the lower bass.

Compared to the O2, based on my initial listening session, the C5 has a slightly smaller soundstage and more bass (bass boost off).

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #12,549 of 23,366
Quote:
I just got mine. First reaction, holy crap these are small. Now I'm listening to them and it's awesome.

Besides the sound, of course, that's the main thing that attracted me about the M100. A great sounding, stylish, over-ear headphone with a compact design that doesn't have to look like a helmet. Sennheiser has the Momentum, and more companies should do the same. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #12,550 of 23,366
Afraid to use the bass boost on E10...the bass on these is already good enough for me.

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #12,551 of 23,366
Quote:
Oh hey there, I saw your M-100 profile photo and I really like your custom design on it! *Matte black shields also go really well with the white silver M-100's*

I can totally attest for the white case getting dirty. I don't think individual cases are being sold yet since V-MODA is still trying to crank out the M-100's themselves, but in the future I'm sure they'll be available just like the LP/LP2 cases.

Thanks! I love your design as well! 

I got an email back from V-MODA tonight and they said they are making them now and will be for sale soon, but no exact date :frowning2:

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #12,553 of 23,366
Quote:
How do these compare with the Ath m50s. I'm looking for something with more tunable bass. Enough bass to shake your head but sound tremendously clear.

You just described the M100!

And they are I am assuming on a whole different level then the M50's.

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #12,555 of 23,366
Quote:

Besides the sound, of course, that's the main thing that attracted me about the M100. A great sounding, stylish, over-ear headphone with a compact design that doesn't have to look like a helmet. Sennheiser has the Momentum, and more companies should do the same. 

This is a great description of the M-100 and why I and many others like them so much.  I too was surprised at how small they were when I opened up the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back