V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 21, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #12,437 of 23,366
Quote:
1. Boom Pro Mic
2. VAMP VERZA
3. VTF?

Has there been any follow-up on what "Metallo" is? A part of me thought that might be a soon-to-be-released V-MODA headphone stand, but I haven't seen anything about it since Val first threw the word out there.

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #12,438 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
1. Boom Pro Mic
2. VAMP VERZA
3. VTF?

Has there been any follow-up on what "Metallo" is? A part of me thought that might be a soon-to-be-released V-MODA headphone stand, but I haven't seen anything about it since Val first threw the word out there.

Just kidding. No not much information is known about it.

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #12,439 of 23,366
This is a solid headphone for EDM.

Had them for awhile now and they have lived up to my expectations.

The bass is lush and extends well and the treble is rolled of and gentle, slightly too gentle in some cases.

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #12,440 of 23,366
It is the Boom Pro Mic. I contacted V-Moda, David their rep told me its their Boom Pro mic, he said it will be available around 2-4 weeks. There just pre-orders now. I was wondering how much did the pre order vtf-100 cost with the boom mic, faders, and shields. $40 bucks seems a little expensive to me for a mic attachment. 

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #12,441 of 23,366
Quote:
It is the Boom Pro Mic. I contacted V-Moda, David their rep told me its their Boom Pro mic, he said it will be available around 2-4 weeks. There just pre-orders now. I was wondering how much did the pre order vtf-100 cost with the boom mic, faders, and shields. $40 bucks seems a little expensive to me for a mic attachment. 

$40? Daaang.... D:
VTF package was $310, but we have the first version of the cable. The $40 one is an updated version.
I'm going to assume serious gamers with the M-100 are going to buy it anyway though as there seems to be a pretty good demand for it.

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #12,442 of 23,366
You make a really good point. There are definitely alternatives to getting a dedicated gaming headset, but I just wanted to point out that a dedicated gaming headset might be a better choice for certain people.

Yes, the $130 Astro Mixamp does provides surround sound functionality and the ability to adjust chat volume to ANY pair of headphones, and you can purchase an additional mic for any pair of headphones that have removable cables.

HOWEVER, you can get a very solid gaming headset for about that price that comes with those features included. For $134 on amazon, you can get a legit wireless surround sound gaming headset with mic like the Turtle beach earforce X42. $130 you get a wired 7.1 surround headset like the Tritton 
720+.
Basic wired stereo gaming headsets are usually under $100. T
op of the line gaming headsets max out around 
$250-300, which I think is probably too much for dedicated gaming gear.

V-moda M100 ($310) + Astro Mixamp ($130) + Boom Mic (~$15-20) OR ModMic ($33) = ~$455-$470 
V-moda M100 ($310) + TB X42 or Tritton 720+ ($134) = ~$444

Basically, instead of getting an astro mixamp & mic cable, you can legit just buy a very nice gaming headset and use the money you saved on a better pair of portable headphones for music enjoyment. =P

Well, if price is a concern, you can eBay a used DSS for $25-$30 instead of the Mixamp, or the Recon3D like I have which cost half the price of the Mixamp, or you could buy the Tritton 720+ and sell the crappy bundled headphone to someone you don't like (I do not endorse that last option).
And really, do you have a wireless gaming headset and the M-100? If so, are you reeeeeally going to type that you wouldn't much rather be listening to the M-100? I've tested the TBs and read a lot about Trittons and Astros. They're targeted as mainstream, high visibility products, not as value leaders or quality classics. Harsh trebles, poorly defined bass, weird ergonomics (durability & earpad comfort? Whats up with the nylon pads?) and generally unrefined compared to the headphones we get excited about on Head-Fi daily, like the M-100, or the AD700 and Q701 I have

Also, you said again that a headphone with detachable cables was necessary to add a mic. What? No, you just wire a mic straight to the controller or PC mic port (sorry PS3 gamers, I'm not as familiar with working a mic into your setup, but there are posts about it). I bought a 3-pack of cheap lapel mics for $4 and a generic 2.5mm--->3.5mm adapter for the Xbox controller for $3, and my voice is just as clear/loud in voice messages as the TB mics playing back in my XBL party, and I don't have a thingie in my face picking up my breathing. In no way less convenient than a "dedicated" gaming headset that still has to be plugged into the Xbox controller and console.

AD700 ($80) + mic ($7 total) + Recon3D ($70-$80) = my current Xbox setup = $157, better soundstage, sound-"hunting" ( :wink: ), PC + Xbox. Sometimes I rotate in my Q701 for an even better experience, though I want an M-100 and I think the boom mic will work just as well. These headphones can't even be touched by the harsh sounding gaming headsets, unless you're talking about the (still poor value to add a mic) Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic headsets. And you still get the benefits of virtual surround... If that's not important (and isn't included on most gaming headsets), then a $2 RCA to 3.5mm adapter and a cheap amp like the FiiO E6 is all you need.

How are "dedicated" gaming headsets more convenient or a better choice for some people compared to great headphones with also great SQ value?

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #12,443 of 23,366
Quote:
eek.gif
 Ouch. Skrillex played in Toronto five times in the last 12 months; 3 shows in one weekend. I remember cuz I had to chase him around and flyer the two parties he played one of those nights haha. Here's the distance of longboarding I had to cover

Our drum and bass scene is held together by the independent companies that bring big name headliners on the regular as well as the longest running EDM promotional company in Canada, Destiny, bringing WEMF, Bass Week, Digital Dreams (in part with Electronic Nation), as well as many other Projek parties of the biggest names in drum and bass. And we've got some local talent making a splash internationally too iLL.Gates for glitch hop and dubstep, Rene LaVice just released his first LP on RAM, Gremlinz has a spot on Metalheadz, NC-17 keeps releasing gold on Grindhou5e, and Marcus Visionary, the local drum and bass junglist legend is touring Europe in August and September, making an appearance at Outlook Festival in Croatia. This guy is on nearly every flyer in Toronto. Our scene is highly influenced by the UK scene, and we've even had Jayline stay here for a few years before getting deported cuz of his crazy (ex)girlfriend haha.

I know Kansas has a scene, and Miami. I'm pretty sure Vegas' scene is tourst-artificial; I heard last year Deadmau5 had a residency in Vegas and played shows regularly at a hotel. But then there's EDC in Vegas..... Come to think of it I seem to remember Bassnectar and Deiselboy posting about being in Memphis this past year, I could be wrong. 

Anyways, this is OT... I'm passionate about my promoting, what can I say :D

I remember seeing that OWSLA had a big tour all over Canada last summer. That's quite the distance to cover haha, do you wear your M-100 while longboarding? That Bass Week looks like it would be crazy, I'd love to see Camo & Krooked, Dillon Francis, and Excision all in the same week. Excision is actually coming to Nashville which is three hours away from here but it is on a Wednesday, and on my strict footy schedule I won't be able to make it. 

Bassnectar was coming to Arkansas last October, but the venue was damaged during a storm and they ended up not being able to find a replacement venue. I had already purchased tickets for me and a couple of friends so I was disappointed.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #12,444 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
eek.gif
 Ouch. Skrillex played in Toronto five times in the last 12 months; 3 shows in one weekend. I remember cuz I had to chase him around and flyer the two parties he played one of those nights haha. Here's the distance of longboarding I had to cover

Our drum and bass scene is held together by the independent companies that bring big name headliners on the regular as well as the longest running EDM promotional company in Canada, Destiny, bringing WEMF, Bass Week, Digital Dreams (in part with Electronic Nation), as well as many other Projek parties of the biggest names in drum and bass. And we've got some local talent making a splash internationally too iLL.Gates for glitch hop and dubstep, Rene LaVice just released his first LP on RAM, Gremlinz has a spot on Metalheadz, NC-17 keeps releasing gold on Grindhou5e, and Marcus Visionary, the local drum and bass junglist legend is touring Europe in August and September, making an appearance at Outlook Festival in Croatia. This guy is on nearly every flyer in Toronto. Our scene is highly influenced by the UK scene, and we've even had Jayline stay here for a few years before getting deported cuz of his crazy (ex)girlfriend haha.

I know Kansas has a scene, and Miami. I'm pretty sure Vegas' scene is tourst-artificial; I heard last year Deadmau5 had a residency in Vegas and played shows regularly at a hotel. But then there's EDC in Vegas..... Come to think of it I seem to remember Bassnectar and Deiselboy posting about being in Memphis this past year, I could be wrong. 

Anyways, this is OT... I'm passionate about my promoting, what can I say :D

I remember seeing that OWSLA had a big tour all over Canada last summer. That's quite the distance to cover haha, do you wear your M-100 while longboarding? That Bass Week looks like it would be crazy, I'd love to see Camo & Krooked, Dillon Francis, and Excision all in the same week. Excision is actually coming to Nashville which is three hours away from here but it is on a Wednesday, and on my strict footy schedule I won't be able to make it. 

Bassnectar was coming to Arkansas last October, but the venue was damaged during a storm and they ended up not being able to find a replacement venue. I had already purchased tickets for me and a couple of friends so I was disappointed.

I didn't have my M-100s at that point but I do plan on using them while cruising when it's the season. In retrospect, the year in question in which Skrillex played all those shows was in 2011, including WEMF, that weekend of three shows, and another sellout show earlier in the year... Is the OWSLA tour you're referring to the Full Flex Express tour? I seem to remember Skrillex playing a handful of shows last year too.

As for a ruined venue... Can't be as bad as Creamfields last year.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #12,447 of 23,366
Quote:
$40? Daaang.... D:
VTF package was $310, but we have the first version of the cable. The $40 one is an updated version.
I'm going to assume serious gamers with the M-100 are going to buy it anyway though as there seems to be a pretty good demand for it.

Yeah a bit expensive! But one of the main reasons I bought the M100's is for the Boom Mic pro which wasen't available at the time.

I do not like that the boom mic pro combines both the audio and mic out into one plug...it would make sense if they were separate...I don't think a lot of people will be walking around with the boom mic pro sticking out of their iphone. I have a computer and two jacks...one for audio out and one for mic out. How am I supposed to use the cable without getting a y splitter? and after I get a y splitter then I need to get an extension cable to reach my amp....that might reduce sound quality.

arg

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #12,448 of 23,366
Quote:
I didn't have my M-100s at that point but I do plan on using them while cruising when it's the season. In retrospect, the year in question in which Skrillex played all those shows was in 2011, including WEMF, that weekend of three shows, and another sellout show earlier in the year... Is the OWSLA tour you're referring to the Full Flex Express tour? I seem to remember Skrillex playing a handful of shows last year too.

As for a ruined venue... Can't be as bad as Creamfields last year.

I was wondering because it seems to me that the M-100 would be very durable in case you ever dropped them or anything while longboarding. Yepp the Full Flex Express tour is it. Wow that venue is destroyed, was anybody hurt? 
Quote:
Just saw excision and the executioner in chitown last month. SOooooooooo sick. My ears rand for 3 days. 100k watts of pure bliss...

Yeah if I saw him ear plugs would be a must. How was the executioner, I've only seen pics but it looks amazing.

Speaking of earplugs, I may need to purchase some faders soon. When I listen with my M-100 it seems like sometimes there is just a bit more bass in my left ear. I tested it the other day to see if I would have the same problem if I flipped them around and I actually found that there still seemed to be a tiny bit more bass in my left ear even though I was listening through the right driver. This leads me to believe that either i've lost a bit of hearing or my right ear is more accustom to bass. In my car I have a bloated subwoofer behind me to the right and my right ear gets a lot of the impact from it. My sub is in my actual cabin so I am sure you can imagine how loud it is. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back