V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #11,791 of 23,366
Quote:

They are double the price though! :p But yeah, whatever suits your needs :)
I'm waiting for the PA2V2 amp to pair with my SGS3 and the M-100's, so I can't wait to see how that improves things.
It's meant to be less analytical than the O2 amp, but it may give it a warmer sound which may appeal to me.

You'll find a lot of her stuff sounds good on the M-100's! :p That track is really good though!

I am one of the latest victims of this site's motto - initially thought the $300 M-100s was a reach!  What I learned from the M-100s is that ultimately, it's what your ears think of the sound that matters most. Ultimately, one of the reasons I sent back the M-100s was that I didn't want an amp for something meant to be portable. The O2 amp, while portable with battery, is a bit bigger than others out there. I'm thinking I'll stick with IEMs for portable, at least for now.

After owning the QC-15s, I really appreciate being able to turn the phones sideways for portability. I don't mind height, but bulk made the M-100s harder for travel with my laptop case, even though they were very compact overall.

Quote:
The headphones seem to uncomfortably fit in the case though, they made it really small though which is impressive

I found the M-100s very uncomfortable. They really hurt my ears. I forced myself to wear them for hours on end anyway, even sleeping with them. After a few weeks, they did get much better to the point where I didn't mind wearing them at all, even feeling comfortable.

Quote:
My ears touch the inside of the driver enclosure making the outer tips of my ears red and painful very difficult to wear for long periods. I am thinking of returning them. What a shame, I heard about the bigger pads coming out, I'm trying to decide if I should wait on those.

My first impressions running out of a E10 is very balanced sound, I can't find anything I don't like about the signature. I demoed both the HE-400's and the M-100's. I liked the M100's more because the music felt more engaging and there was a stronger bass punch. The HE-400's sounded airy, laid back, and distant. Did not like. I tried the HE-400's out of various amps including a tube amp in store.

I listen to EDM exclusively though. I owned the D2000's and Pro 900's before this, the M100's are just about as amazing as the D2000's

I've never heard the HE-400s, but do own the HE-500s. I found the bass punch on the M-100s to be very similar to the HE-500, but the 500s went much lower. This was unamped, so can't wait to pair it up with SR 71B, which is supposed to make the bass sound even better. However, HE-500s aren't really portable. It was WAY more than I'd wanted to spend on headphones, but I am thrilled with the purchase and have no regrets. That's not even accounting for the expensive amp and now the balanced cables I'm about to order.

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #11,792 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm considering returning my M-100 and purchasing the HE-400. I've had the M-100 for almost two weeks and have been listening to it for 2-3 hours a days since the day I received it. The M-100 sounds great with all my music, i listen to EDM exclusively, and has very nice bass impact, clarity in the mids, and decent treble. My only problem with it is the fit. I feel like I have to spend 10 minutes just getting it situated on my ears so that my ear lobes aren't exposed and so my ears aren't rubbing against the driver. I also feel like they are always about to fall of, almost like they are not pushing down hard enough on my ears. I'm goin to keep them for at least a few more weeks to see if my opinion changes with more usage, but I haven't made my mind up about anything.

If you can afford it, make the jump to the HE-500, and I say this knowing I've never heard the HE-400s. But based on what I've read, and based on what I hear, if you think the bass is good on the M-100s, I know you'll love the bass on the HE-500s, which have very similar impact, but goes much lower, sounding very velvety and clean. I don't even have it amped yet. Ripping FLAC and using PowerAmp player on my Android Galaxy Nexus, using EQ and tone, I find the sound really good! I'm hoping mids open up a little more with a good amp, but still not bad.

The HE-500 was immediately more comfortable than the M-100s. My only complaint is that it's a tad too big, even on the smallest setting on the headband. As much as the HE-500s stick out, I can lay on my side in bed with them and still be somewhat comfortable. Most people seem to prefer the velour pads, but I actually like the pleather ones. The velour is a bit scratchy on my skin.

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #11,793 of 23,366
Quote:
I found the M-100s very uncomfortable. They really hurt my ears. I forced myself to wear them for hours on end anyway, even sleeping with them. After a few weeks, they did get much better to the point where I didn't mind wearing them at all, even feeling comfortable.

yes comfort is mentioned by most people as an issue enough so that the "you must have big ears" argument can be put to bed... yep so literally taking them to bed HKUSP is a novel approach!

i thought about returning mine on these grounds too then after a while i stopped focusing on the problem and it ceased being one.

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #11,794 of 23,366
Quote:

yes comfort is mentioned by most people as an issue enough so that the "you must have big ears" argument can be put to bed... yep so literally taking them to bed HKUSP is a novel approach!

What? I can't be the only one that likes to take things to bed!  
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #11,795 of 23,366
I used to like using Sony MDR XB20EX to fall asleep to because the cable and housing made them easy to fall out, and the thickness of the cable made me comfortable to rollaround on, but I fell out of the habit of sleeping with earbuds/headphones and started using the timed sleep function my alarmclock has. Admittedly it's **** sound quality but I just need noise to fall asleep, not head blasting bass
basshead.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #11,799 of 23,366
Quote:
simonpking said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

....after a while i stopped focusing on the problem and it ceased being one...

That's like totally confuscius, or zen, or something.  Sage advice for not only the masses barking on about M100 cauliflower ear, but everyday life as well.  I will definitely invoke this philosophy next time I'm squeezing out a bleeder.

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #11,801 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

What? I can't be the only one that likes to take things to bed!  
biggrin.gif

I've tried wearing the M-100's in bed, but it find it kind of uncomfortable since the heavy earcups slide the whole headphone back on my head and feel like they're falling off. Earphones are more comfortable in my opinion.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #11,803 of 23,366
I've been told if you use an otg cable you will bypass the DAC..won't be double amping with the Galaxy Note 2 or s3 variant. I ordered a special Micro A to mini B 0TG cable from a Chinaman on eBay. He has a 3000k+ positive rep Power and it was only $5 WITH shipping. Just a fyi

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #11,805 of 23,366
Hey guys:

Can anyone check how's the bass impact on the M100 with this song? It was pretty good with the M80. Fairly strong with my modded RP-H[size=small]TX7. S[/size]o I guess it will be much much better on the M100. Wish the song was in HD but it only goes up to 480p. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back