V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 22, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #10,966 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm burning in using a Burn In app on my Android phone, which plays pink noise for 180 minutes, and then has an hour gap, and repeats another 9 times.
Not sure how loud to have it, so I stuck it at max on my phone which I can still listen to with ears (just too loud for my tastes).

I will then try the paper towel mod.

In essence though, I showed my dad the comparison between mine and his on the same Procol Harum track, and he agreed with me that he prefered his set, as they felt wamer, and more engaging. Details weren't as pronounced for such a cheap set, but something was there that is lacking on the M-100's.
I just feel I need something more well rounded for all genres. When it comes to electronic music, I don't think I mind the bass being well detailed, but just not neccessarily loud, so a more neutral set would probably be fine, and I can always EQ to match, which I can't do on the M-100's as the bass is already in your face at 0db on the EQ, and messing with that could also affect mids too even more.

I'm not one for keeping tonnes of headphones for specific uses. I want one great all rounder, and for £300, I do expect that.

On some tracks though, they sounds amazing, but I can't forgive them for how they sound at the moment on more mid-centric tracks.

I plan to buy the Sony MDR-1R's and compare, as they have been given rave reviews on pretty much every site I have looked.
My search continues.

I still plan to walk with them. Hopefully tomorrow if weather is better, and I'll probably do so with the mods in place if I can figure it out.

Val, if you read this, I think you are a great guy, and you have produced something remarkable, and something different, offering something that offers a lot of bass, but a lot of detail too.
I just think your next set needs more mid enthasis, and less bass if I'm honest. The upper mids, and trebles are top notch. I cannot fault them.
I just think I listen to a lot more specific genres, and bands than most that will pick up a bass enthasised set.

For example, what other 25 year olds have you heard putting 60's tracks through their car hi-fi systems whilst driving about?

Well, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the midrange even with modern music is still there, and the M-100's midrange is still laid-back; so even with modern music, I don't completely feel "into" the music.

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #10,967 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

For example, what other 25 year olds have you heard putting 60's tracks through their car hi-fi systems whilst driving about?

Well, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the midrange even with modern music is still there, and the M-100's midrange is still laid-back; so even with modern music, I don't completely feel "into" the music.

Yeah I've come to this conclusion as well. Not even 'modern' music, it's just instrumental music isn't done proper justice on M-100s imo. I just did some sampling of some of my favourite songs and I just didn't get into it at all. Wasn't really fun, despite the 'fun v-shape'. This is even with the wound dressing mod installed a la DF's paper towel mod.

Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt 1. (I decided to pull out the CD since my rip is 128 AAC :/ ..... On MediaMonkey)
Intro. Jungle bells sound nice, with great timbre, and the shaker is very clear. Guitars start, laidback, but I can hear Petrucci strumming which is pretty nice, and Myung's bass is nice and chunky in this song so it's easy to pick out, very forward. Vocals are behind the drums and bass, and keys also take too much of a back seat. during the unison solo, I mostly get Petrucci, but not enough Moore. DAT BASS SOLO! Now I remember why I chose this song to test with. Second unison solo after the bass solo was mixed for Moore, and these cans do it well. the solos are too back seat for someone to REALLY enjoy the licks. The intense section where everyone's in unison is pretty well presented in the mix, the bass guitar and drums keep everything in line while the guitars and keys are still left behind.

I'll have to post my impressions A/Bing the un/modded with wound dressing because I haven't noticed any sonic differences except for being much more comfortable

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #10,969 of 23,366
Quote:
Can someone please explain burning in with pink noise ? Does it really work and what is it ?

The theory is that letting the headphone's drivers "burn-in" with music will let the drivers "loosen-up" similar to how a new pair of shoes will loosen-up from when you first wear it. Having the drivers loosen-up supposedly alters the sound of the headphone a bit, though every once in a while I will see posts that claim there is a pretty large difference in sound. Pink noise is commonly used as a "burn-in" track because it carries all of the frequencies in the sound spectrum within human limits and each octave has the same amount of noise power.

It's a debatable thing and I believe there's a huge discussion for it in the Sound Science forums. I gave the M-100's a try out-of-the-box and wrote down my impressions. I then let it burn-in with pink noise for a whole week, non-stop, at a high volume level (a level I would listen to on a noisy public bus), without listening to any other headphones/earphones, and gave them another listen and I didn't notice anything different. So for me, for the time being (AKG K 701 arriving on Monday, will find out for sure with that headphone since it's infamous for being a headphone that "requires" a lot of burn-in time) burn-in is still a myth.

Tyll at Innerfidelity has a few articles about it as well:
Part 1: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break
Part 2: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/break-part-deux
Part 3: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #10,970 of 23,366
so m-80 now or save up for the m-100?

i liked the sound of the m-80 well, was a tight fit and hurt my ears but got better as i used it.  sadly had to return it for financial reasons but willing to try it again now.  i'm hearing better midrange and (possibly) treble with the m-80 compared to the m-100 which has better bass and (supposedly) better soundstage.  also seems like m-100 fits bigger heads better.  mainly listen to post-rock, indie, electronic, hip-hop, smattering of classical/jazz/etc.  own and quite like the mh1c and love the ms-1i.

edit: also kinda set on those two as admittedly i like the aesthetic and definitely the solid build quality.  also i was pretty happy with the m-80 when i owned it.  but other similar suggestions (that may be cheaper) as a portable would be welcomed.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #10,972 of 23,366
Quote:
The theory is that letting the headphone's drivers "burn-in" with music will let the drivers "loosen-up" similar to how a new pair of shoes will loosen-up from when you first wear it. Having the drivers loosen-up supposedly alters the sound of the headphone a bit, though every once in a while I will see posts that claim there is a pretty large difference in sound. Pink noise is commonly used as a "burn-in" track because it carries all of the frequencies in the sound spectrum within human limits and each octave has the same amount of noise power.

It's a debatable thing and I believe there's a huge discussion for it in the Sound Science forums. I gave the M-100's a try out-of-the-box and wrote down my impressions. I then let it burn-in with pink noise for a whole week, non-stop, at a high volume level (a level I would listen to on a noisy public bus), without listening to any other headphones/earphones, and gave them another listen and I didn't notice anything different. So for me, for the time being (AKG K 701 arriving on Monday, will find out for sure with that headphone since it's infamous for being a headphone that "requires" a lot of burn-in time) burn-in is still a myth.

Tyll at Innerfidelity has a few articles about it as well:
Part 1: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break
Part 2: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/break-part-deux
Part 3: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break

There has to be a reference point in which you compare the "burning in" headphone from time A to time B to time C.  So if you keep in reference with another relatively stable headphone, you might actually hear differences.  

As for Tyll's findings.  They still remain unconclusive.  There changes in the midrange of the AKG can be audible (tested using EQ) as they increment by 1 dB over a range.  It's still highly debatable though, and all measured data so far has resulted inconclusive regarding driver burn in.  We actually don't know what specifically will burn in.  Could it be the pads?  Remember, any change in the pads can adjust sound, and as pads age, they adhere better to your head leading to a better seal = better overall sound (for the majority of us).  Could it be other things?  Cable?  I'll stop there though, I haven't tested cable burn in, but the theory does make sense, but may not be audible: as cables burn in (copper ones) they will oxidize creating a layer of copper-oxide on the outside.  This reduces the radius of copper for electricity to run through and increases resistance.  Increase in resistance can create change in sound.  

So even if there is burn in somewhere, we don't know what specifically will burn in.  The reason why I burn in?  Well, first, I do hear change over time, but second (as a reviewer), anyone else who believes in it will get mad if you don't burn in, so take the safe road and do it if you're writing a review.  

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #10,973 of 23,366
Quote:
so m-80 now or save up for the m-100?

i liked the sound of the m-80 well, was a tight fit and hurt my ears but got better as i used it.  sadly had to return it for financial reasons but willing to try it again now.  i'm hearing better midrange and (possibly) treble with the m-80 compared to the m-100 which has better bass and (supposedly) better soundstage.  also seems like m-100 fits bigger heads better.  mainly listen to post-rock, indie, electronic, hip-hop, smattering of classical/jazz/etc.  own and quite like the mh1c and love the ms-1i.

edit: also kinda set on those two as admittedly i like the aesthetic and definitely the solid build quality.  also i was pretty happy with the m-80 when i owned it.  but other similar suggestions (that may be cheaper) as a portable would be welcomed.

This decision is really going to be up to you really.  The choice will be solely based on needs and wants in a headphone rather than other personal opinion.  If you need over ear (better overall isolation), you know which way to go.  If you can live with on ear, choice won't be so clear.  If you need to run portable, maybe be a bit active in them, M80s may be a better choice.

Then come the sound characteristics.  Need midrange and more neutral sound?  M80.  Want a fun, more v-shaped headphone?  M100.  The point really is that the choice will be based on what you want.

I do want to say one thing though, since you already did like the M80, if you can deal with the fit, it will be your safe choice.  My suggestion, however, would be to try the M100 through V-Moda's 60 day guarantee (BUY FROM V-MODA!!!).  If you don't like them, return them and repurchase the M80.  It's a win-win :)

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #10,976 of 23,366
How does the M-100 sound with techno, dubstep, and really anything EDM in general? I currently have the XB500 and am still trying to decide what my next set of cans will be. I'm really considering the M-100 but every review I read is about the M-100 with pop, rock, and other genres I do not listen to. I'm a bass head and I'm really looking for strong kick drums, tight bass, sub-bass rumble, and high impact, while still having clarity throughou the rest of the spectrum.
Can someone with the M-100 give these tracks a quick listen?

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #10,977 of 23,366
Amazon is an authorized seller and it mentions the 60 day test drive in its advertisement, so I'd say definitely.

And ordered from amazon, taking my gift card from my grandpa down with it =P
I should get them on the 27th to do a quickie review, I just wish I coulda got free 1 day instead of 2 day since I have to wait extra days for Christmas to blow over haha. In a few weeks ill be back at college to test these babies out on my desk rig and then I'll post a follow up review.

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #10,978 of 23,366
Quote:
And ordered from amazon, taking my gift card from my grandpa down with it =P
I should get them on the 27th to do a quickie review, I just wish I coulda got free 1 day instead of 2 day since I have to wait extra days for Christmas to blow over haha. In a few weeks ill be back at college to test these babies out on my desk rig and then I'll post a follow up review.

I got mine from Amazon too, estimated delivery is the 28th 

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #10,979 of 23,366
Quote:

This decision is really going to be up to you really.  The choice will be solely based on needs and wants in a headphone rather than other personal opinion.  If you need over ear (better overall isolation), you know which way to go.  If you can live with on ear, choice won't be so clear.  If you need to run portable, maybe be a bit active in them, M80s may be a better choice.

Then come the sound characteristics.  Need midrange and more neutral sound?  M80.  Want a fun, more v-shaped headphone?  M100.  The point really is that the choice will be based on what you want.

I do want to say one thing though, since you already did like the M80, if you can deal with the fit, it will be your safe choice.  My suggestion, however, would be to try the M100 through V-Moda's 60 day guarantee (BUY FROM V-MODA!!!).  If you don't like them, return them and repurchase the M80.  It's a win-win :)

thanks for the response.  yeah may end up trying the M100s first only problem is i most likely will have to get them through Amazon as i have some credit there so probably can't take advantage of the trial period.  i assume i can always try it within the 30 days from Amazon.  i'm also leaning to it because of the folding capability, over-ear design, and just cause it's something new and i like being on bandwagons :D also wouldn't mind a fun headphone to join my current (meager) stable.

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #10,980 of 23,366
From memory:
  • the Amperior has more of a "peak" (as opposed to broad) bass response such that the bass is more punchy and doesn't have the same extension
  • I keep saying that I find the M-100's mids to be laid-back, the Amperior's are more forward; on the other hand, tonally I find the M-100's mids to be pretty accurate for the most part, far more so compared to the Amperior
  • the Amperior has more treble energy, extension, and is definitely more forward, so it's probably more preferable for rock music
  • yowzees that sibilance is such a problem for me with the Amperior, not so with the M-100

If you really like the Amperior, you might find the M-100 disappointing since the aggressive treble is gone, the mids are more laid-back, and the bass isn't quite as punchy. The M-100's bass is more like the "rumble of thunder" (lower-bass) whereas the Amperior's is more of the "clubbing" type of bass (mid to upper-bass).

Personally I much prefer the M-100 to the Amperior as I didn't like the Amperior upon my first listen to them, and again a few weeks later. The sibilance was really a detraction for my musical tastes.

Miceblue,
I can't help but wonder how you would enjoy your M-100 with my current tube-amp setup here. I was listening to Andrew Bird's "Armchair Apocrypha" CD (heh) yesterday on my Q701 (didn't have the money back in may-June for a VTF), the signature exhibited all the advantages you listed for the Amperiors with (IMO) none of the cons. When I swapped in a Sylvania JAN 6DJ8 tube, tonally the bass stayed the same but the mids were lifted up into balance, but even more impressive and exciting was the way the amp/tube really dug into the texture and expanded the dynamic range of punch in the music. I've been especially sensitive to harsh highs lately, yet even with the sparkle and "light cast on the music," I found it to be on this side of sweet and not fatiguing at all, though I distinctly felt my ears adjust after about like 30 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back