V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 22, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #10,952 of 23,366
Quote:
Glad you like them :)

Yeah I noticed a great sound on Pheleh tracks as I mentioned. The mixing is top notch. I noticed her vocals had a really rich sound and a lot of seperation and air.

Electronic music is certainly not this sets downfall.
I can't feel the vibrations though but it says in your sig you have that subwoofer style amp?

I didn't get a chance to walk with them. I got out the door and realised it was throwing it down... was gutted. Just a shame the water wasn't being lol.

Tell me never to get a D770 in that case lol.

Maybe I was being a little harsh on my Beyers, the DT770 is only a £110 though and in the end I paid £290 for the M100 so not a fair comparison at all, the DT770 for the price difference does do really well and even extends lower than the M100 and the soundstage is larger so in some aspects its better, the mids are its weak point though...not bad just a bit distant, and lack a little detail compared with the M100´s

We have the same source...the Galaxy S3 however I have rooted it and installed Siyah Kernel and installed ACID Audio Engine tweaks, with the Sony Walkman Player and have Clear Bass on...not sure if this is why I can feel the vibration and you cant? Mostly with the song "The Cold In You" not "Afterglow" and im listening at 320kbps not on youtube
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2002197
I sold that subwoofer amp (Z02) as the hardware EQ on the GS3 with Siyah worked great and avoided the added bulk and no mic connection!

I have been last minute Christmas shopping today at Westfields and the isolation is great when your music is moderatly loud...could hardly hear a thing, even when going under a tunnel on the tube! I was kind of worried about this as some said it wasnt great, admittedly some of the bass gets drowned out compared to home listening, and you can hear SOME background noise but it still sounds so good and is allot safer than hearing noting at all! 

Really pleased with my purchase which i was becoming increasingly hesitant about and cannot reccomend these highly enough with the short time I have had them! 

Not just EDM sounds good, soft rock artists like AlT-J and The XX sound great as does Hip Hop/Grime 

Really loving Drum and Bass with these S.P.Y have never sounded better! 

I picked up some bandages and will try the pad mod later!

EDIT: I cant believe how small the case is, What...that is some Engineering feat to cram everything in there so elegantly!

And somehow they look even better in real life than the photos! I got Matt Black with no logo...stealth FTW|!

Dec 22, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #10,955 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey i was wondering what amp should i get for the v mda m100's and lp's? I was thinking about fiio e11 or e7. Suggestions???

Well the Fiio E12 is coming out soon which is supposed to be better than the Fiio E11

I have owned the Digizoid Z02, the Fiio E11 and the E7...I prefered the Z02 over the E11 as its more compact and you have more controll over the bass boost with 32 contor levels! The E11 is better than the E7 in all areas amp wise, but the E7 has a dac which you may or may not use depending on your source.

I havent tried any of these on the M100´s as I have sold them all...they didnt make that much difference to my last cans to warrant the extra bulk of taking it out portably, and the hardware EQ on my GS3 took care of the bass boost, people seem to be enjoying amping the M100´s though but im still skeptical of THAT much of a sound difference personally to warrant the price increase and portability decrease.

Dec 22, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #10,957 of 23,366
Quote:
Bass isnt really what im looking for but more control is a step ahead, i was looking for a amp that could bring out the mids a highs since mids a a bit recessed in the m100's and lp's

E7 as an amp helps a bit, but it depends on how good your current DAC is. With my 2008 MacBook the E7 does help the highs a bit, though the mids still sound laid-back. If you're looking for just an amp, the E11 is probably a better choice than the E7.

When used as a USB DAC on the other hand, with the 2008 MacBook, the mids are moved a bit more forward.

Quote:
Quote:
Hey i was wondering what amp should i get for the v mda m100's and lp's? I was thinking about fiio e11 or e7. Suggestions???

Well the Fiio E12 is coming out soon which is supposed to be better than the Fiio E11

I have owned the Digizoid Z02, the Fiio E11 and the E7...I prefered the Z02 over the E11 as its more compact and you have more controll over the bass boost with 32 contor levels! The E11 is better than the E7 in all areas amp wise, but the E7 has a dac which you may or may not use depending on your source.

I havent tried any of these on the M100´s as I have sold them all...they didnt make that much difference to my last cans to warrant the extra bulk of taking it out portably, and the hardware EQ on my GS3 took care of the bass boost, people seem to be enjoying amping the M100´s though but im still skeptical of THAT much of a sound difference personally to warrant the price increase and portability decrease.

Yeah I've read the E11 is a better amp than the E7, but the E7 can act as an external USB soundcard (which works marvelously with my 4-year old MacBook).

Regarding the noise isolation (from my review):
They seem to isolate most of the higher frequencies, but much of the midrange frequencies still seem pretty audible, just lower in volume.

Unmodded
Isolation is still pretty good
More of the highs come through to me (the snare drum's hit is more audible), but they're still mostly blocked out
The mids/vocals, just like the highs are a tad bit louder to me (the lyrics are more distinguishable)
The bass guitar is is also more audible

For instance, I can carry out a conversation with a guy friend quite well while listening to my music. I couldn't really do that with the SRH940 since it isolates more of the midrange frequencies. For me this is a good thing since I often have conversations with friends while listening to music, but for those who want more isolation for pure music enjoyment, the less isolated midrange frequencies might be a problem.

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #10,958 of 23,366
Hm I wonder if my o2/odac would help the mids but theyre meant to be flat and reference so probably not.

Also what ever happened to the alternate size/velour ear pads for the m100? I'm most likely going to buy these and if I like them and stick with them I'd happily be a test subject on pads if Val doesn't need me to be local. I have very sensitive ears (nerve wise and musically) and nerves in my head because of my chronic migraines.

Edit: How do the lp2 pads change the tone of these btw? There's so much in this thread that it's hard to find info

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #10,959 of 23,366
Quote:
For instance, I can carry out a conversation with a guy friend quite well while listening to my music.

That's kind of weird -- I have pretty good hearing and while I might be able to make out someone talking, even with music at fairly low volumes, there is no way I could comfortably have a conversation.

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #10,960 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
For instance, I can carry out a conversation with a guy friend quite well while listening to my music.

That's kind of weird -- I have pretty good hearing and while I might be able to make out someone talking, even with music at fairly low volumes, there is no way I could comfortably have a conversation.

Really? I listen to my music at low volume levels too. I can often hear my brother's music playing through the desktop speakers (lower notes) with the M-100's on and listening to Lindsey Stirling; and on the public bus, I can hear guys' conversations pretty well.

Quote:
Hm I wonder if my o2/odac would help the mids but theyre meant to be flat and reference so probably not.

Also what ever happened to the alternate size/velour ear pads for the m100? I'm most likely going to buy these and if I like them and stick with them I'd happily be a test subject on pads if Val doesn't need me to be local. I have very sensitive ears (nerve wise and musically) and nerves in my head because of my chronic migraines.

Edit: How do the lp2 pads change the tone of these btw? There's so much in this thread that it's hard to find info

O2/ODAC is a killer combo with the M-100. It does bring the midrange more forward, makes the bass tighter and better-controlled, treble is smoother, more instrument separation, better L/R imaging.

With the LP/LP2 pads, the overall M-100 sound is changed a lot similar to the original, full-sized paper towel mod (more balanced bass that is more in-line with the midrange which is brought forward a few steps, clearer treble that has better extension but slightly grainy, much better L/R imaging that is more accurate for gaming [really helps with Counter Strike: Source and Team Fortess 2 Mann vs Machine]). You have to make sure all of the tabs are in place for the pads though as it does change the sound if one tab isn't in place.

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #10,961 of 23,366
E7 as an amp helps a bit, but it depends on how good your current DAC is. With my 2008 MacBook the E7 does help the highs a bit, though the mids still sound laid-back. If you're looking for just an amp, the E11 is probably a better choice than the E7.

When used as a USB DAC on the other hand, with the 2008 MacBook, the mids are moved a bit more forward.

Yeah I've read the E11 is a better amp than the E7, but the E7 can act as an external USB soundcard (which works marvelously with my 4-year old MacBook).

For instance, I can carry out a conversation with a guy friend quite well while listening to my music. I couldn't really do that with the SRH940 since it isolates more of the midrange frequencies. For me this is a good thing since I often have conversations with friends while listening to music, but for those who want more isolation for pure music enjoyment, the less isolated midrange frequencies might be a problem.
Well my device is a ipod 4g, dont know how the dax will be affected and all...

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #10,962 of 23,366
I take back what I said about my disappointment of bass extension, after burning these in each night, I put my M-100s on and they've smoothed out much more than the first time putting them on. Without causing too much of a fuss, I found that burn in REALLY improves the presentation of bass (extension, tightness, and separation), as well as the upper bass and lower mids being much easier to distinguish than out of the box.

I still can't get into metal with the headphones though. I was hoping my ears owuldn't be as fickle as some other head-fi'ers, hoping that I'd see these more as an all rounder headphone, but some of my favourite bands just aren't done justice with these cans. Isis is one of those bands that is hard on headphones though. Guitars just sound too withdrawn. However, Baroness does sound pretty great. Listening to The Birthing by Baroness right now on my M-100s and the drums are especially forward, where the guitars are mixed pretty forward on the albums, they still have pretty decent placement with the M-100s, but the vocals are a little withdrawn. The tom drum impacts are nice too, as well as being able to hear the beater hit the bass drum with each kick for the first time in this song. Oh. and the vocals are VERY well detailed.

On to Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt 1. (I decided to pull out the CD since my rip is 128 AAC :/ ..... On MediaMonkey)
Intro. Jungle bells sound nice, with great timbre, and the shaker is very clear. Guitars start, laidback, but I can hear Petrucci strumming which is pretty nice, and Myung's bass is nice and chunky in this song so it's easy to pick out, very forward. Vocals are behind the drums and bass, and keys also take too much of a back seat. during the unison solo, I mostly get Petrucci, but not enough Moore. DAT BASS SOLO! Now I remember why I chose this song to test with. Second unison solo after the bass solo was mixed for Moore, and these cans do it well. the solos are too back seat for someone to REALLY enjoy the licks. The intense section where everyone's in unison is pretty well presented in the mix, the bass guitar and drums keep everything in line while the guitars and keys are still left behind. I feel like these cans would do better with.....

Tool - Schism (FLAC MediaMoney)
Intro. The bass is just beautiful in this song. Classic for sure. During the first riff you can hear some background hissing from the recording session, and when the main riff comes in, the hissing fades away nicely - great detail. Woah. I was wrong, guitar still sounds in the back ground. That bass guitar though keeps thumping nicely, and the drums are right where they should be, and the reverb on the cymbals is perfect, and the phasing done on the cymbals in the studio is heard without trying. The bridge with the church bells is nicely presented, the oscillation of the bells is nice. Over all I think Tool is done justice on the M-100s. Their bassy nature helps, as well as their well drums being mixed so perfectly. The end section where he repeats "I know the pieces fit" kinda left me wanting more vocals.

Steve Vai - Bangkok (AAC 128 rip, sounds bad)
Intro gave me heebie jeebies. Felt like I was in the Amityville home. HUGE BASS. 
Sitar is well presented. Drums are nice and punchy and the bass guitar has nice twang to it. This song seems to be particularly bassy. Piano is more forward than expected.. Oh but when that whole eastern vibe ends, the jazzy guitar comes in with great clarity and SUPER forward. Vai is mixed to be the most forward thing though, The bass is nice actually. It's not infront of Vai, but still present and compliments Vai's soloing well. Drums are nice, the snare is nice and punchy, the cymbal hits are crisp and the cymbal stops are more obvious than ever before. WOAH noodle section. This is why Vai is the man. Such technicality that's not missed with these cans.

Liquid Tension Experiment - Paradigm Shift (CD - MediaMonkey)
If you don't know LTE, GET TO KNOW. Easily the most talented metal quartet. I'm going to listen to the full song first. 
Portnoy's drum kit sounds VERY nice here. I was hoping for a bit more keys, but guitar is presented well, but the bassist is front and center, and keys are where they should be. This is an example of a track that holds up VERY well on the M-100s it seems.

Well this is how I feel about some of my favourite bands on the M-100s. Hit or miss really, it seems like instrumental bands do much better than bands with a singer. 

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #10,963 of 23,366
Wow I was just listening to Burial in bed and the sound stage is HUGE! People often say that the DT770 as one of the biggest sound stages in a closed back headphone but I literally just jumped and pulled off my headphones as i thought the sound was coming from the windows lol

The sound stage of the Beyers was more of a semi circle behind you but the M100 presents itself in front of you which I prefer soooo much more, the separation is just great too...These headphones are continuing to impress me more and more which is unbelievable considering how stunned I was when I first heard them!

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #10,964 of 23,366
Quote:
I take back what I said about my disappointment of bass extension, after burning these in each night, I put my M-100s on and they've smoothed out much more than the first time putting them on. Without causing too much of a fuss, I found that burn in REALLY improves the presentation of bass (extension, tightness, and separation), as well as the upper bass and lower mids being much easier to distinguish than out of the box.

I still can't get into metal with the headphones though. I was hoping my ears owuldn't be as fickle as some other head-fi'ers, hoping that I'd see these more as an all rounder headphone, but some of my favourite bands just aren't done justice with these cans. Isis is one of those bands that is hard on headphones though. Guitars just sound too withdrawn. However, Baroness does sound pretty great. Listening to The Birthing by Baroness right now on my M-100s and the drums are especially forward, where the guitars are mixed pretty forward on the albums, they still have pretty decent placement with the M-100s, but the vocals are a little withdrawn. The tom drum impacts are nice too, as well as being able to hear the beater hit the bass drum with each kick for the first time in this song. Oh. and the vocals are VERY well detailed.

On to Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt 1. (I decided to pull out the CD since my rip is 128 AAC :/ ..... On MediaMonkey)
Intro. Jungle bells sound nice, with great timbre, and the shaker is very clear. Guitars start, laidback, but I can hear Petrucci strumming which is pretty nice, and Myung's bass is nice and chunky in this song so it's easy to pick out, very forward. Vocals are behind the drums and bass, and keys also take too much of a back seat. during the unison solo, I mostly get Petrucci, but not enough Moore. DAT BASS SOLO! Now I remember why I chose this song to test with. Second unison solo after the bass solo was mixed for Moore, and these cans do it well. the solos are too back seat for someone to REALLY enjoy the licks. The intense section where everyone's in unison is pretty well presented in the mix, the bass guitar and drums keep everything in line while the guitars and keys are still left behind. I feel like these cans would do better with.....

Tool - Schism (FLAC MediaMoney)
Intro. The bass is just beautiful in this song. Classic for sure. During the first riff you can hear some background hissing from the recording session, and when the main riff comes in, the hissing fades away nicely - great detail. Woah. I was wrong, guitar still sounds in the back ground. That bass guitar though keeps thumping nicely, and the drums are right where they should be, and the reverb on the cymbals is perfect, and the phasing done on the cymbals in the studio is heard without trying. The bridge with the church bells is nicely presented, the oscillation of the bells is nice. Over all I think Tool is done justice on the M-100s. Their bassy nature helps, as well as their well drums being mixed so perfectly. The end section where he repeats "I know the pieces fit" kinda left me wanting more vocals.

Steve Vai - Bangkok (AAC 128 rip, sounds bad)
Intro gave me heebie jeebies. Felt like I was in the Amityville home. HUGE BASS. 
Sitar is well presented. Drums are nice and punchy and the bass guitar has nice twang to it. This song seems to be particularly bassy. Piano is more forward than expected.. Oh but when that whole eastern vibe ends, the jazzy guitar comes in with great clarity and SUPER forward. Vai is mixed to be the most forward thing though, The bass is nice actually. It's not infront of Vai, but still present and compliments Vai's soloing well. Drums are nice, the snare is nice and punchy, the cymbal hits are crisp and the cymbal stops are more obvious than ever before. WOAH noodle section. This is why Vai is the man. Such technicality that's not missed with these cans.

Liquid Tension Experiment - Paradigm Shift (CD - MediaMonkey)
If you don't know LTE, GET TO KNOW. Easily the most talented metal quartet. I'm going to listen to the full song first. 
Portnoy's drum kit sounds VERY nice here. I was hoping for a bit more keys, but guitar is presented well, but the bassist is front and center, and keys are where they should be. This is an example of a track that holds up VERY well on the M-100s it seems.

Well this is how I feel about some of my favourite bands on the M-100s. Hit or miss really, it seems like instrumental bands do much better than bands with a singer. 

Thanks for that man, I listen to all those bands and that was very helpful :) cheers

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #10,965 of 23,366
I'm burning in using a Burn In app on my Android phone, which plays pink noise for 180 minutes, and then has an hour gap, and repeats another 9 times.
Not sure how loud to have it, so I stuck it at max on my phone which I can still listen to with ears (just too loud for my tastes).

I will then try the paper towel mod.

In essence though, I showed my dad the comparison between mine and his on the same Procol Harum track, and he agreed with me that he prefered his set, as they felt wamer, and more engaging. Details weren't as pronounced for such a cheap set, but something was there that is lacking on the M-100's.
I just feel I need something more well rounded for all genres. When it comes to electronic music, I don't think I mind the bass being well detailed, but just not neccessarily loud, so a more neutral set would probably be fine, and I can always EQ to match, which I can't do on the M-100's as the bass is already in your face at 0db on the EQ, and messing with that could also affect mids too even more.

I'm not one for keeping tonnes of headphones for specific uses. I want one great all rounder, and for £300, I do expect that.

On some tracks though, they sounds amazing, but I can't forgive them for how they sound at the moment on more mid-centric tracks.

I plan to buy the Sony MDR-1R's and compare, as they have been given rave reviews on pretty much every site I have looked.
My search continues.

I still plan to walk with them. Hopefully tomorrow if weather is better, and I'll probably do so with the mods in place if I can figure it out.

Val, if you read this, I think you are a great guy, and you have produced something remarkable, and something different, offering something that offers a lot of bass, but a lot of detail too.
I just think your next set needs more mid enthasis, and less bass if I'm honest. The upper mids, and trebles are top notch. I cannot fault them.
I just think I listen to a lot more specific genres, and bands than most that will pick up a bass enthasised set.

For example, what other 25 year olds have you heard putting 60's tracks through their car hi-fi systems whilst driving about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back