V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 17, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #10,651 of 23,366
well my M100 arrived in London last Thursday but unfortunately I need to pay £57.99 for Customs charges (import VAT+clearance fee)...
in total this brings the cost to £274 ie slightly more expensive that the price on Amazon (£270).
Since the 2nd pre-order includes the free faders and an extra pair of shields I guess that's not too bad...
I just hope that the M100's sound signature doesn't  let me down for the kind of music I listen to,  as I would really hate to send them back to V-Moda as part of the 60-day return policy...!
Not to mention I've been seriously considering investing in the MDR-1R as well....!

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #10,652 of 23,366
Quote:
Just got my M-100 less than an hour ago! I was shocked to see how small it folds into!
From someone who is not super-analytical, I find the mids to be okay. Its not quiet or anything like Beats *shiver*
Compared to the M-80 and Westone W3, I find that there is not as much emphasis on the mid bass and upper bass as compared to the rest of the bass spectrum. I may be crazy.
Hmm... and this is odd. I am playing a 20Hz tone on my laptop. On my M-80(30% volume) the 20Hz actually makes it vibrate more. The M-100 (50% volume since it runs quieter) does not have as much of a rumble as the M-80.
Just from wearing it for the past 30 minutes, I can already feel some discomfort from my ears touching the enclosures.
And build quality... Just as my M-80, the right fork squeaks when I pinch them together. I can wriggle the forks on both sides. My M-80's left side was perfection. This is the only thing that bothers me. I will see if the M-100 is worth keeping as I expected something that would have a much stronger sub-bass. I will also see if burn-in saves it's butt.

I would say give them time regarding comfort.  I had comfort issues for the first several days.  Now I forget I am wearing them and don't even want the larger pads that have been discussed. 
Regarding sub-bass, try with music vs. test tones.  The M-100 has some of the best sub-bass I have experienced.  I have been using double-amped with my E11 and ZO2 and am in bass nirvana.  Some Rihanna and Pitbull should ease your sub-bass concerns.

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #10,653 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Just got my M-100 less than an hour ago! I was shocked to see how small it folds into!
From someone who is not super-analytical, I find the mids to be okay. Its not quiet or anything like Beats *shiver*
Compared to the M-80 and Westone W3, I find that there is not as much emphasis on the mid bass and upper bass as compared to the rest of the bass spectrum. I may be crazy.
Hmm... and this is odd. I am playing a 20Hz tone on my laptop. On my M-80(30% volume) the 20Hz actually makes it vibrate more. The M-100 (50% volume since it runs quieter) does not have as much of a rumble as the M-80.
Just from wearing it for the past 30 minutes, I can already feel some discomfort from my ears touching the enclosures.
And build quality... Just as my M-80, the right fork squeaks when I pinch them together. I can wriggle the forks on both sides. My M-80's left side was perfection. This is the only thing that bothers me. I will see if the M-100 is worth keeping as I expected something that would have a much stronger sub-bass. I will also see if burn-in saves it's butt.

I would say give them time regarding comfort.  I had comfort issues for the first several days.  Now I forget I am wearing them and don't even want the larger pads that have been discussed. 
Regarding sub-bass, try with music vs. test tones.  The M-100 has some of the best sub-bass I have experienced.  I have been using double-amped with my E11 and ZO2 and am in bass nirvana.  Some Rihanna and Pitbull should ease your sub-bass concerns.

Also, angling the drivers by bending/twisting the heandband outward helps get the earcups into the right position on your ears. My ears are angled relative to my head so having the earcups perpendicular to my head was really uncomfortable to wear.

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #10,654 of 23,366
^How does one go forth in doing so? The M-80's were at an angle so I was expecting the M-100 to be angled too, but it is flat.
What your suggesting is like bending paper thats flat on a surface, without lifting it. IDK how to describe the motion, but basically, something will crack.

In regards to the 60-day test drive, I found out that it only applies to purchases made from V-Moda. This is misleading as it lists it on Amazon's page.

[size=13.63636302947998px]"Satisfaction Guaranteed[/size][size=13.63636302947998px][/size]
[size=13.63636302947998px]Two-Year Warranty - Immortal Life Program - 60-Day Test Drive Guarantee:[/size][size=13.63636302947998px] Each M-80 purchased from a Verified Reseller is backed by a 2-Year V-MODA Premier Warranty, double the industry average. In the unlikely event you run over your headphones with a tank, with the V-MODA Immortal Life Program, you get 50% off a replacement for a lifetime. V-MODA is so confident the M-80 is a superior headphone, it even offers an unrivaled 60-day test drive guarantee."[/size]

I bought the M-80 thinking I would be able to return it if I didn't like it. There are no places that have them around me so it was the only way to hear them. Unless the rep didn't know what they were talking about.

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #10,655 of 23,366
Quote:
^How does one go forth in doing so? The M-80's were at an angle so I was expecting the M-100 to be angled too, but it is flat.
What your suggesting is like bending paper thats flat on a surface, without lifting it. IDK how to describe the motion, but basically, something will crack.

In regards to the 60-day test drive, I found out that it only applies to purchases made from V-Moda. This is misleading as it lists it on Amazon's page.

[size=13.63636302947998px]"Satisfaction Guaranteed[/size][size=13.63636302947998px][/size]
[size=13.63636302947998px]Two-Year Warranty - Immortal Life Program - 60-Day Test Drive Guarantee:[/size][size=13.63636302947998px] Each M-80 purchased from a Verified Reseller is backed by a 2-Year V-MODA Premier Warranty, double the industry average. In the unlikely event you run over your headphones with a tank, with the V-MODA Immortal Life Program, you get 50% off a replacement for a lifetime. V-MODA is so confident the M-80 is a superior headphone, it even offers an unrivaled 60-day test drive guarantee."[/size]

I bought the M-80 thinking I would be able to return it if I didn't like it. There are no places that have them around me so it was the only way to hear them. Unless the rep didn't know what they were talking about.

If you want to take advantage of this, you'll have to email V-Moda CS most likely.  They should still honor it if it was purchased through an authorized retailer.  Don't quote me though.  

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #10,657 of 23,366
Quote:

I demonstrate this at 18:36 (19:00 if you don't want to hear me explain stuff). Flex the headband by gripping the headband part, don't twist the headphones at the wingplates or else you might get a result like what AnakChan posted. The STEELFLEX headband is meant to be twisted, contorted, or bent.

As for the 60-day test trial, you can return it for a full refund if you purchased it from an authorised retailer/reseller.
http://v-moda.com/verified-resellers/
^ Amazon is on that list

Dec 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #10,658 of 23,366
I haven't gone through all 700 plus pages of this thread, but from what I have read, I haven't seen anything written on using these for cold weather walking.  I live in the U.P. of Michigan, and enjoy outdoor walking during the winter months.  In the past several years, I've tried a lot of different headphones, searching for the ideal pair.

During the summer I wear IE-80s, but in the winter I need something over my ears, and pulling any kind of a hat or cap down over the ears pushes on the IEMs, and wrecks the seal.  So, the solution is to wear some type of ski cap, or toque, as they're called up here, and then wear over-the-ear phones over the cap, and covering the ears like earmuffs would.  The M-100s are particularly well suited for this; I suspect that the earpads would become a bit warm during the summer months, but that's a plus during the winter.

They fit perfectly, although I have a large head, and putting them on over the cap means I have to max out the adjustments on both sides.  They cut out most of the wind and noise, and sound great.  The extra bass is great for outdoors and doesn't get lost when it gets loud or windy outside.

I also like the one-sided cable attachment; it's much better then cables coming down from each earcup when you're wearing a heavier coat with a collar zipped up around your neck.  I use them with my iPhone 5.  I purchased the Apple 3-button cable also, and I can access the buttons from inside a jacket pocket while I'm walking, without removing my gloves.

The M-100s also seem pretty resistant, at least so far, to snow and rain.  I've gotten them a bit wet once or twice already, with no issues.  So far, I'm liking them a lot.  They're very well built and durable.  As for the sound, they're no match for the cans I listen to in the house, but I think they have the perfect voicing for listening outdoors.  

By the way, mine are the matte black version.  For the extra shields, I chose the crimson red color, but I probably won't use them at all.  

We're a little behind our usual snowfall so far this winter, but as soon as we get a good base on the ground, I'm looking forward to snowshoeing with the M-100s.

Dec 17, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #10,659 of 23,366
Hi, has anyone tried to send m100 to Europe? Their website does not take mine VISA card.

i have this error: 
Something went wrong when trying to process your payment. Please review the error message and try again:
This transaction has been declined.

Can anyone help me pls? :)

Dec 17, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #10,660 of 23,366
I'd contact V-Moda support. Maybe your billing address had an error or your card is locked for whatever reason (had this once: it worked at home, but international transactions were denied due to a misunderstanding after requesting a lock with a subsequent unlock).

Dec 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #10,661 of 23,366
Quote:

Incorrect. Even if V-moda doesn't honor their 60 day guarantee test drive because you purchased through a retailer and not them. You still won't be out 500$. Amazon.com has a 30 day return policy on all products you buy directly through them. So just figure it out within 30 days, then. It's only a few bucks to send them back. lol...

Dec 17, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #10,662 of 23,366
OMG I JUST HAD A THOUGHT!

miceblue, craigster, or whoever else who has two V-Moda cables including a SharePlay......

Have you ever experimented with usign the SharePlay cable, in tandem with either and AudioOnly, or SpeakEasy cable, plugged into the other cup? Does it affect the sound at all being double fed? I'm sure having two un-cinched cables would be frustrating, but could twisting them, and somehow cinching them at an appropriate place to split to each cup, somehow reduce microphonics? 

Hypothetically speaking?

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #10,663 of 23,366
Quote:
Incorrect. Even if V-moda doesn't honor their 60 day guarantee test drive because you purchased through a retailer and not them. You still won't be out 500$. Amazon.com has a 30 day return policy on all products you buy directly through them. So just figure it out within 30 days, then. It's only a few bucks to send them back. lol...

I guess I'll have to return the M-100 since I can't afford two headphones.

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #10,664 of 23,366
OK, HUGE problem here...
I've received the M-100's that I ordered and I have a major issue that I didn't expect or think about.  These were ordered for my daughter, who is 29 and commutes from New Hampshire to Boston on the bus every day.  She is slender & petite, about 5' 2" tall.

What I did NOT expect is that the M-100's are too large for her.  That is, even when fully retracted, her head is small enough that she cannot have the band on her head and the cups on her ears.  When the band is on her head, the cups fall below her ears, and she can't get enough tension to get a good seal on the earcups.  When holding the cups on her ears, there is a lot of air between the band and the top of her head.

I pre-ordered them in mid-November as a Christmas present, but I guess the Grinch is gonna win this year.  I'm thinking the only thing I can do is return them and go for something else -- maybe Momentums?  Or maybe I can get a headphone pad that will pad out the space a bit so she can use them?

Any thoughts or suggestions?   Thanks!

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #10,665 of 23,366
Quote:
OK, HUGE problem here...
I've received the M-100's that I ordered and I have a major issue that I didn't expect or think about.  These were ordered for my daughter, who is 29 and commutes from New Hampshire to Boston on the bus every day.  She is slender & petite, about 5' 2" tall.

What I did NOT expect is that the M-100's are too large for her.  That is, even when fully retracted, her head is small enough that she cannot have the band on her head and the cups on her ears.  When the band is on her head, the cups fall below her ears, and she can't get enough tension to get a good seal on the earcups.  When holding the cups on her ears, there is a lot of air between the band and the top of her head.

I pre-ordered them in mid-November as a Christmas present, but I guess the Grinch is gonna win this year.  I'm thinking the only thing I can do is return them and go for something else -- maybe Momentums?  Or maybe I can get a headphone pad that will pad out the space a bit so she can use them?

Any thoughts or suggestions?   Thanks!

You could attach some sort of pad under the top of the headband.  This may be an issue with other headphones as well.  What about IEMs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back