V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 14, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #10,516 of 23,366
What are the chances Amazon UK will get these bad boys in next week? Was hoping to get a pair before Xmas... but doesn't look like that's gonna happen anytime soon... oh well.. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #10,517 of 23,366
Never mind, ordered from Amazon.com instead, will get here next Wednesday and £5 cheaper.  Glad that's over with.  At least I know when it's arriving now.

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #10,519 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

If you really like the Amperior, you might find the M-100 disappointing since the aggressive treble is gone, the mids are more laid-back, and the bass isn't quite as punchy. The M-100's bass is more like the "rumble of thunder" (lower-bass) whereas the Amperior's is more of the "clubbing" type of bass (mid to upper-bass).

I'll have to disagree with you there Miceblue, the 'Club sound' is - for me at least - the result of massive speakers' sub-bass throbbing your chest and the synergy of kick and snare drums forcing you to shake yo groove thang. The throbbing is <100 Hz; the kick drum is 100-150Hz; the snare "warmth" or OOMPH which you get from 909s is around 200Hz and the snap from both of these is further up around 1-2.5kHz (depending on the sound of the drums). All of these the M-100s produces amazingly, better than any other headphones I've tried. I would say the club sound is the M-100's defining characteristic.

Hm then I'm not sure any more. >_<

I use Stereophile's audio glossary to define what the sub-bass, mid-bass, and upper-bass are:
Quote:
sub-bass Infrasonic bass
midbass The range of frequencies from 40-80Hz
upper bass The range of frequencies from 80-160Hz
lower middles, lower midrange The range of frequencies from 160-320Hz

But then this chart has slightly different "margins" for the sound:
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

And this guide is ever-so-slightly different as well:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/546715/a-plea-to-the-community-lets-standardize-the-way-we-describe-sonic-signatures
Sub-bass 16-60 Hz
Bass 60-250 Hz

.........or we could just hand-wave our way with these terms. XD

Also I should note that I'm not a hard-core clubber or anything of the sorts, so from my experience, most of the "clubbing music" that I've heard have mainly been remixes of popular "top 40" songs. From what I've read from time to time, modern pop music has a lot of the "mid-bass/upper-bass" that I was talking about...though I have noticed that the fake-sounding bass drop(?) and "lower-bass" sounds are becoming increasingly more popular in today's songs.

1 Year Old: Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe

2 Years Old: Magnetic North - Summertime (ft. Conchita Campos)

4 Years Old: Katy Perry - I Kissed A Girl

11 Years Old: Usher - U Remind Me

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #10,520 of 23,366
random question... where do you guys find your v-corks?  I just got my m-100 and I immediately started listening to music… I am looking through and realizing that v-corks appear to be missing. Were they in the carrying case with the cables? 

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #10,521 of 23,366
Quote:
random question... where do you guys find your v-corks?  I just got my m-100 and I immediately started listening to music… I am looking through and realizing that v-corks appear to be missing. Were they in the carrying case with the cables? 

They were between the earcups/earpads in my package.

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #10,525 of 23,366
Quote:

Corks were in a tiny plastic crack bag between the earcups for me as well. Could easily have fallen out undetected amidst the excitement of unpackaging. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #10,526 of 23,366
Carlos... For me the rumble/purr is when you're playing some hard hitting bass and the earpads feel like they are floating...levitating on your ears like an air hockey puck.  All the while those low frequencies are reverberating inside your skull and tickling the cilia of your most endeared organs.

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #10,528 of 23,366
Quote:
Hm then I'm not sure any more. >_<

I use Stereophile's audio glossary to define what the sub-bass, mid-bass, and upper-bass are:

But then this chart has slightly different "margins" for the sound:
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

And this guide is ever-so-slightly different as well:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/546715/a-plea-to-the-community-lets-standardize-the-way-we-describe-sonic-signatures
Sub-bass 16-60 Hz
Bass 60-250 Hz

.........or we could just hand-wave our way with these terms. XD

Also I should note that I'm not a hard-core clubber or anything of the sorts, so from my experience, most of the "clubbing music" that I've heard have mainly been remixes of popular "top 40" songs. From what I've read from time to time, modern pop music has a lot of the "mid-bass/upper-bass" that I was talking about...though I have noticed that the fake-sounding bass drop(?) and "lower-bass" sounds are becoming increasingly more popular in today's songs.

1 Year Old: Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe

2 Years Old: Magnetic North - Summertime (ft. Conchita Campos)

4 Years Old: Katy Perry - I Kissed A Girl

11 Years Old: Usher - U Remind Me

I find it hard to exactly explain the frequencies of what mid-bass are because it's track dependent, the purpose of mid-bass in one song may be completely different for another. So in one song where the rhythm is handled by a bass guitar operating in the mid-bass region, you might have another song, maybe by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers or funk bass where Flea is playing notes in the upper register, but the groove is bangin'. You could say the mid-bass in one headphones is lacking, which makes people think it wouldn't be great for funk music, but then there would be lots of tracks that would fly in the face of that. So, we could have musical mid-bass and analytical mid-bass and think of it that way... but personally I like all the hand waving :p.

The radio-friendly mixes tend to emphasise the areas of the spectrum that car stereos can handle. Those curves are slightly deceptive, because although there may be a lower amplitudes at lower frequences, they inherently cause things like windows/water/chests/pacemakers to vibrate more noticeably than higher frequencies do, so you feel them more than you hear them. The psychoacoustics of the extreme parts of the frequency are really very interesting, Noisia use them as a foundation for most of their songs. 

Club music tends to abuse the psychoacoustic things - like bass drops - that were once really subtle, but I love it :D.

P.S: I'm not aversed to Katy Perry though and I have been known to dance to I kissed a girl on a number of occassions.

and Call Me Maybe is my JAM.

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #10,529 of 23,366
Anyone got the matte black with orange shields yet?
Oh, and Moon audio just killed my hopes. They uploaded a pic of the m100's with the silver dragon v3 cable, and said: 
*NEW* V-Moda M-100 Headphone MODIFIED with our Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 Headphone Cable
At first i thought he meant that if you bought a pair, you get the cable free....damn.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #10,530 of 23,366
Quote:
Anyone got the matte black with orange shields yet?
Oh, and Moon audio just killed my hopes. They uploaded a pic of the m100's with the silver dragon v3 cable, and said: 
*NEW* V-Moda M-100 Headphone MODIFIED with our Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 Headphone Cable
At first i thought he meant that if you bought a pair, you get the cable free....damn.

$275 for a cable!!!!!!!!  Oh my.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back