V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 13, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #10,471 of 23,366
Quote:

The low end isn't "quite" as enhanced as on the LP2s, but it can certainly rattle your head if you want it to.  The biggest difference between the LP2s and the M100 is the lack of bleed into the midrange.  Thus the sound doesn't feel as narrow or claustrophobic.  You'll definitely feel the bass in the M100s, so yes, you would definitely appreciate the upgrade from the LP2s to the M100s...without a doubt.  I made that upgrade myself.

Thanks for the info! Now all I have to do is talk to David with V-Modas support team and se if they will allow me to rerturn my LP2s for a full refund only to buy a pair of M-100s. 

Admittedly I might feel kinda bad to make them refund me only to buy a differenct product, but in the end they still make $100 more than they did with my LP2s.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #10,472 of 23,366
Quote:

Wow, that's a beautiful colour combination! I was considering Shadow at one point, but after having the M-80's in my hand I didn't really like the headband material.

heh thank you, but i should really thank you for providing me with videos on youtube about the m-100's in the first place, plus the secret slip in the package. After hearing the things you've mentioned, i instantly fell for these.

I really dont regret my decision either.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #10,473 of 23,366
Hey guys, long time lurker.  Been following this thread for a while and I'm stuck between the M-100 and the M-80.  Curious about your opinions.  These are mainly going to be for use as a portable headphone.  I tend to listen most genres of rock and most genres of electronic with a dash of classical/country. Which do you guys think would be better for my needs?

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #10,474 of 23,366
Quote:
Man oh man, these cans are really fun!  For all those who say the mids are 'recessed' may want to plug the M-100s into an amp tricks out the mids nicely.  I was a little apprehensive after hearing all the people say the bass is strong in this one, but perhaps that's coming from people who are not true 'bass heads' (admittedly I am not one either).  This pair of cans, however, has taught me the way of solid deep bass (even more so then the LCD2s).  

I'm a Sennheiser guy thru and thru, and thus DEMAND a great mid-range from all my cans and, while the M-100s are no HD598/650, the mid range is not muddled by the bass due to the headphone's sheer command and control of the bass notes.  On the other side of the coin, I haven't noticed any real sibilance issues (which would drive me NUTS).

This is all from about 30 minuets of head time.  I'll report back after a few days, but from the looks of it these cans will give my ATH-M50s and Momentums a good run for their place in my collection....

I use mine almost exclusively with a JDS Labs O2 amp, which is claimed to be a very transparent amp. I am quite confident I'm supplying the M-100 with enough power. I've found that [with a "transparent" amp] amping helps the lows, a bit of the highs, and the instrument separation, but not the mids so much. The same effect happens to a lesser extent with a FiiO E7.

Straight from my review:
Quote:
The M-100's amped
When amped with either the FiiO E7 or the Objective2, the M-100 generally
  1. Has more of that chest-thumping bass
  1. The whole frequency spectrum just sounds a little cleaner to my ears
  2. Instrumentation separation is improved and details are more apparent, which may be a cause for the previous point
  3. The soundstage is larger, both in terms of width and depth (again, maybe it's due to more instrument separation)
  4. The upper-treble is brought a tad bit more forward in the stage, but not drastically
4-year old MacBook
  1. MacBook headphone-out: OK sound
  2. FiiO E7 (line-in connection, bass boost 0) -> M-100 = better sound in my opinion (harder-hitting and cleaner bass, better L/R imaging and instrument separation, slightly more detailed, better upper-treble response)
  3. JDS Labs O2 (line-in connection, fully-charged battery-powered) -> M-100 = better sound than E7 in my opinion (tighter bass that's less boomy but loses some of that chest-thump, midrange is more detailed and slightly less laid back, upper-treble response is smoother/less sharp than E7)

Retina MacBook Pro
  1. MacBook Pro headphone-out: better sound than the setup above with the E7 in my opinion, I was genuinely surprised (lots of chest-thumping bass, very good L/R imaging and instrument separation, relatively speaking, good upper-treble response)
  2. FiiO E7 (line-in connection, bass boost 0) -> M-100 = "meh", I can't tell if it's any better than without the E7 :/ The treble sounds a little grainier/artificial to me and the soundstage is more of that closed-hallway kind of sound (not as good L/R imaging). There is more clarity in the midrange and the bass is tightened up a bit. Strange indeed.
  3. JDS Labs O2 (line-in connection, fully-charged battery-powered) -> M-100 = honestly, there's not a whole lot different from without any amps (bass is tighter and better-controlled, slightly better upper-treble response, a bit more detail with the midrange and it's slightly less laid back, slightly better L/R imaging, better instrument separation)

May I ask which amp you're using? Perhaps it has better synergy than with an O2 or E7.

The midrange isn't muddled-up by the M-100's bass response per-se, but I've found that the lower-mids are veiled somewhat, and the rest of the midrange to a lesser extent.

And yes I agree that the ssss sounds are not sibilant at all with the M-100's. The Amperior drove me nuts with that sound. >.>

Quote:
Hey guys, long time lurker.  Been following this thread for a while and I'm stuck between the M-100 and the M-80.  Curious about your opinions.  These are mainly going to be for use as a portable headphone.  I tend to listen most genres of rock and most genres of electronic with a dash of classical/country. Which do you guys think would be better for my needs?

As a portable, I would definitely recommend the M-100. Foldability, better passive noise isolation, bigger bass response for hearing the bass in a louder environment. You would get a more balanced sound while mobile listening with the M-100 than with the M-80 from my experience.

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #10,475 of 23,366
Thanks Miceblue for your opinion.  I've been leaning more and more towards the M-100.  My friend is interested in the UE 6000.  I'm curious what you guys think of it. That price point interests me. How does it compare to the M-100?

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #10,476 of 23,366
I just want mine :frowning2:

They've been in transit for over 48 hours now, so I'm a little worried they haven't reached sorting facility yet...

Waaaaaaah 

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #10,478 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks Miceblue for your opinion.  I've been leaning more and more towards the M-100.  My friend is interested in the UE 6000.  I'm curious what you guys think of it. That price point interests me. How does it compare to the M-100?

I had the UE 600, and I could not find something to not like, other than the channel imbalance. I could not handle it, it was too drastic. Perhaps the QC had gotten better.. They sound good for the money, but I really enjoy the M-100s for all music genres. They are really good for house music though. They really rumble 
basshead.gif

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #10,479 of 23,366
so teacher told my parents that he told me to take off my headphones during a class day and my parent asked them if they allow them and he said during worksheets and independent reading he is fine with it which i what i was doing but i was using a psp go which looks like a cell phone so he claimed i was messing around on youtube so my privlage of taking my phones to school has been revoked two days after getting them:.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #10,481 of 23,366
Quote:
so teacher told my parents that he told me to take off my headphones during a class day and my parent asked them if they allow them and he said during worksheets and independent reading he is fine with it which i what i was doing but i was using a psp go which looks like a cell phone so he claimed i was messing around on youtube so my privlage of taking my phones to school has been revoked two days after getting them:.

Maybe he's just envious of you looking cool.
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #10,482 of 23,366
Can anyone compare the M100s with UNAMPED DT1350s in terms of treble, mids and bass quantities from portable devices? I'm still undecided between these, the m80s or the Beyerdynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back