V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #9,541 of 23,366
Quote:
To my ears, they are not even close, particularly the harsh, grating highs on the Pro 900 reminiscent of nails on a chalkboard compared to silky smooth, if less extended, highs with no sibilance on the M-100.  Bass is more prominent on the Pro 900 but more controlled on the M-100.  It's not that I don't like Ultrasone- I am a fan of the Edition 8 and Sig Pro, but the Pro 900 is actually painful to my ears with such a dramatic v-curve.

I second... just about every word of this. (I've never owned the Signature Pro's, however)

I assessed the treble range of the PRO 900 to exhibit a highly metallic sheen whilst the bass was presented as an indistinct cloud that formed OVER the top of the presentation with bass-heavy content.  The M-100's signature isn't as dramatically v-shaped, it doesn't exhibit high-end harshness, and the bass stays in the basement (for the most part) and never becomes offensive.  The PRO 900 earpads are comfy, however.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #9,543 of 23,366
I'm still very puzzled on which headphone to get, PSB M4U 1 seems to be an option to take into concideration too as it has more forward mids than M100. What strikes me most about M4U is its exceptionally low THD noise for its price (especially in the bass), so I'm guessing it's good with imaging and I could do with a more accurate soundstage presentation where there seems to be equal amount depth and width.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #9,544 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm still very puzzled on which headphone to get, PSB M4U 1 seems to be an option to take into concideration too as it has more forward mids than M100. What strikes me most about M4U is its exceptionally low THD noise for its price (especially in the bass), so I'm guessing it's good with imaging and I could do with a more accurate soundstage presentation where there seems to be equal amount depth and width.

It presents a very clean, natural/effortless sound to be certain.  Despite the slightly accentuated bass, I don't find it at all distracting/hindering nor do I take exception to any other facet of its sonic performance.  For those with a more durable noggin than myself I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to those who value a highy-neutral presentation.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #9,545 of 23,366
Quote:
To my ears, they are not even close, particularly the harsh, grating highs on the Pro 900 reminiscent of nails on a chalkboard compared to silky smooth, if less extended, highs with no sibilance on the M-100.  Bass is more prominent on the Pro 900 but more controlled on the M-100.  It's not that I don't like Ultrasone- I am a fan of the Edition 8 and Sig Pro, but the Pro 900 is actually painful to my ears with such a dramatic v-curve.

How detailed would you say the music is on the M-100's? i.e not compared with headphones a lot more expensive.
Can you hear nuances you may otherwise not notice on cheaper sets?

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #9,547 of 23,366
Quote:
Yes, IMO one of the strengths of the M-100 is the high level of detail relative to its price and category of closed portable headphone.

Good, I hope so :)
Have you written a review or something because I would really like to see your take, and what music you mostly listen with it, etc, etc.

Heard a lot of so so reviews, and would love to see another review from someone that actually enjoys what they offer, and not expecting something else.

Have you ever tried any budget headphones from Sennheiser? i.e the PX series? If you have, in terms of sound quality, how do they compare?

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #9,548 of 23,366
Quote:
Good, I hope so :)
Have you written a review or something because I would really like to see your take, and what music you mostly listen with it, etc, etc.

Heard a lot of so so reviews, and would love to see another review from someone that actually enjoys what they offer, and not expecting something else.

Have you ever tried any budget headphones from Sennheiser? i.e the PX series? If you have, in terms of sound quality, how do they compare?

See post #8278 for M-100 comments.

I have tried budget Sennheisers at Best Buy and am not impressed, even for the price.

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #9,549 of 23,366
Quote:
See post #8278 for M-100 comments.

I have tried budget Sennheisers at Best Buy and am not impressed, even for the price.

Ah, now you see, that is where things get interesting, because I've had my PX-100's for as long as I can remember. I've always thought the sound to be amazing with great clarity, and just enough bass for my needs, even when listening to trance. It wasn't at all muddy, and the only thing I have a problem with, is the fact the mids sometimes sound a bit dark.
So yeah, that interests me a lot that you don't think the quality of them is all that good, yet like the M-100's a lot more.

More bass wouldn't hurt, and more clarity wouldn't hurt either.

"bassheads that want the biggest, deepest bass ever will be disappointed; music enthusiasts who appreciate beautifully presented impactful bass that complements detailed mids and smooth extended highs will love the bass"

People really do differ in opinions, so much in fact, that are people getting the same headphone?

We'll soon see eh?

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #9,550 of 23,366
Quote:
Miceblue, any chance I can get those datas without the hard to read overlapping? I'm wondering how different these are to the LP2.

Sorry for the "late response", I was at a Lindsey Stirling concert pretty much all day yesterday with VIP tickets. ♥ ♥ ♥

I just downloaded the PDF's from Innerfidelity here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads
To get the comparisons, I opened them in a PDF viewer, arranged them so that the graphs looked lined up, took a screenshot of both, and used a photo merger website:
http://www.mergeimages.com/

Quote:
According to that chart, the M-100 FR is extremely similar to the LP's. So LP2 is less of a basshead headphone?

Quote:
Can anyone compare how the M-100 and LP2 sound signature's are different, I thought the whole idea behind the M-100 was to improve upon the M-80 signature. ie: balanced and detailed!
Also anyone else also think that the LP2's look quite a bit nicer with the flush cable port on one side, rather than the way they stick out on both sides on the m-100 somewhat spoiling the elegance and style of the design. Having it dual sided just seems like a bit of a gimmick to me.

I compared the M-100's to the LP2, but I guess people don't look in spoiler tags. XD
The LP2 is less similar to the M-100 than the LP from these measurements, but the bass of the LP2 is closer to that of the M-100's than the LP.

Frequency Response

300 Hz Square Wave

Impulse Response

Quote:
Has anyone compared the M-100 to the Ultrasone Pro 900? From what I've read, the M-100 share the same sound signature as the Pro 900 (perhaps with less sharp highs?). I wonder if they would be a good portable alternative for the Pro 900 (as much as I love them, they are too big for everyday use IMO)

Quote:

Yup, yup, and yup. The PRO 900 is probably one of the worst headphones I've heard and wouldn't pay more than $300 for them. The midrange was also far more recessed on the PRO 900 than the M-100.

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #9,552 of 23,366
Quote:
A little off topic, but how was the concert? Gonna upload any vids? 

It's not completely off topic. I brought the Faders that came with the M-100 package with me and they work wonders for concerts. I was using the Faders about 50% of the time to hear the difference and they make a huge difference. They block out too much noise for me during normal use, but for concerts they are absolutely fantastic! I'll be sure to bring them with me during the Sakura-Con concerts next year. :D

I've used regular, foam earplugs at concerts before and they block out too much noise and thus don't make the concert a very enjoyable listening experience, at least for me.

Regarding the concert I went to yesterday, with the Faders in:
  1. Drew's drumming wasn't fatiguing at all, thus avoiding the ear-ringing sensation after concerts; without the Faders, the drums were seriously ear-piercing since I was in the very first row, center stage, right next to the stage monitor speakers
  2. Lindsey's violin was actually much easier to hear because of the reduced loudness of the cymbal crashes and other noises made in the audience; without the Faders, Drew's cymbals and the bass were so overpowering that the violin was actually hard to hear, which is not too pleasant considering the violin IS the start instrument
  3. The bass was still very much there in the form where you can feel the bass, but it didn't overpower the other noises; without the Faders, the bass was pretty dominating

Regarding uploading videos, my camera ran out of batteries during the encore song, Phantom of the Opera, so I'm going to ask a friend to send me his part of that song and splice it together in iMovie. I'll send you a PM when I upload the videos, or you can check out my YouTube channel: youtube.com/miceblue425
I knew I shouldn't have used-up my batteries while recording bands prior to Lindsey... :frowning2:

...and I just realized, I brought the Faders VIP with me to this VIP special event. XD

If you guys go to concerts a lot, do your ears a favour and get youselves a pair of the Faders. They're a really neat little earplug.

I forgot to answer your first question, the concert was amazing! It was a small venue so the stage was small and since I was in the front row, center stage, I was literally able to touch her violin when she got to the front. I couldn't really take any photos of her because she was moving too much to get any quality shots, but boy can she sing!
*yes she actually sung this song*

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #9,554 of 23,366
Quote:
Not heard of her before, but loved that version of the song.
Shes gorgeous too! Haha, with the edited face. Since you can see yourself on videos, why do you cover yourself up on pictures?

So mah face doesn't show up in Google Images somewhere (e.g. Google "shure srh940" and I'll show up in the results). XD

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #9,555 of 23,366
So if these headphones aren't really that good for rock music, what other closed back headphones would you recommend for rock music (not talking about metal and hard rock, I listen to more alternative and punk rock) at this price range and still be a portable can? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back