V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 15, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #9,481 of 23,366
Quote:
Does anyone have a list of recommended mods for the M-100's? Should be getting them next month and want to have everything ready. Also, does anyone have any thoughts/comparisons of how the M-100 performs with FiiO products? My baseline are HD25's and a customized pair of Grado woodies with v4 Magnums in them. How do you guys think the M-100 compares to them? I went with the 100's because I loved the 80's...and my wife HATES the Grado's lol...something about..."I can hear those all the way in the other room..." or some such nonsense...I have no idea what she's talking about...LOL

I can't wait for people to "v-MODa"fy these slightly in the future.  Not many people have commented about the BOOM MIC?  Any thoughts on how they worked for gaming or Skype or sports broadcasting?  FYI - they will come with a 3.5mm splitter when they are sold in the retail package.

I just made an agreement yesterday with a new physical retail partner so we can properly demo and launch M-100 in the USA, I am so excited!!!

TBA.

-v

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #9,482 of 23,366
Quote:

I can't wait for people to "v-MODa"fy these slightly in the future.  Not many people have commented about the BOOM MIC?  Any thoughts on how they worked for gaming or Skype or sports broadcasting?  FYI - they will come with a 3.5mm splitter when they are sold in the retail package.

I just made an agreement yesterday with a new physical retail partner so we can properly demo and launch M-100 in the USA, I am so excited!!!

TBA.

-v

I've been itching to use the mic on my Xbox - the only place where I do my gaming these days - but I don't know how to get the boom mic to function as an Xbox mic, any tips?

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #9,483 of 23,366
Has anybody noticed that the M-100s sound fantastic on music that's mixed on NS-10 monitors??

Example: Sexyback - Justin Timberlake

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #9,484 of 23,366
Quote:

TBA.

-v

I have made a couple posts on it, but will reply directly since they are buried.

I LOVE the boom mic.  I use it at least 2 nights a week for gaming chat through my Astro MixAmp.  The mic quality is great, there is little to no breath sounds picked up, it's not super picky on placement, and it is so unobtrusive you forget it's there.  I have even had people comment on how good it sounds (not knowing that I had a new fancy mic).  I have also already pre-sold a few for you :)

Here soon I will be narrating some youtube videos, and will certainly be using this setup.

Excited to see who the new partner is!

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #9,485 of 23,366
Quote:
I've been itching to use the mic on my Xbox - the only place where I do my gaming these days - but I don't know how to get the boom mic to function as an Xbox mic, any tips?

You need some kind of mixamp.  I use the Astro Mixamp 5.8, but you can also use some others (Ear Force DSS 7.1 comes to mind).  Basically they take the Dolby digital output from your XBox and convert it to virtual surround sound, you then hook the controller headphone connector to it, and your boom-pro mic cable as the headset connection.  This puts the microphone output through the controller (just like the oem headset) and lets you tweak and find a good mix of game sounds+team chat.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #9,486 of 23,366
Quote:
You need some kind of mixamp.  I use the Astro Mixamp 5.8, but you can also use some others (Ear Force DSS 7.1 comes to mind).  Basically they take the Dolby digital output from your XBox and convert it to virtual surround sound, you then hook the controller headphone connector to it, and your boom-pro mic cable as the headset connection.  This puts the microphone output through the controller (just like the oem headset) and lets you tweak and find a good mix of game sounds+team chat.

Thanks! 

The Astro Mixamp is a bit expensive for my relatively light usage but this seems good: http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/dolby-processors/ear-force-dss2.aspx

Would I need the headphone/mic splitter to use the mixamp?

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #9,487 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks! 

The Astro Mixamp is a bit expensive for my relatively light usage but this seems good: http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/dolby-processors/ear-force-dss2.aspx

Would I need the splitter headphone/mic splitter to use the mixamp?

since it's a single plug headphone output you should be able to just plug right into it with the single connector of the BoomPro Mic

EDIT -- Actually, looking closer at it, I am not sure where the chat would hook up....let me do a bit of digging as it may not work for you

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #9,488 of 23,366
Quote:
since it's a single plug headphone output you should be able to just plug right into it with the single connector of the BoomPro Mic

EDIT -- Actually, looking closer at it, I am not sure where the chat would hook up....let me do a bit of digging as it may not work for you

So the only other one I can find real quick is the Tritton 720, but you have to buy headphones with the mixer.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #9,489 of 23,366
Quote:

TBA.

-v

3.5 mm splitter, as in a VoIP adaptor?

I usually don't use a microphone, but from my limited experience with the M-100, the sound quality seems to be pretty good. I wrote earlier in this thread that I went through a Skype video chat with a friend and he could hear my voice clearly, but was able to hear me typing on my keyboard, so I concluded that the microphone is not noise cancelling (usually noise cancelling microphones require a certain volume of noise to "activate" the microphone).

I wrote a small blurb on it in my written review, and used it for the introduction in my video review.
Quote:
  1. The Boom Pro Mic cable's microphone has pretty good audio quality I think

Audio Test - Boom Pro Mic on Mac OS X
...compare to...
Audio Test - MacBook's built-in microphone

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #9,490 of 23,366
Quote:

TBA.

-v

The mic is pretty nice and convenient, though it'd have been really nice had it been a noise cancelling one - I can hear the tapping of my keyboard keys and the like really easily with it.  Also, did you guys ever experiment with having a foam cover on it?

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #9,491 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks! 

Would I need the headphone/mic splitter to use the mixamp?

the DSS will not do what the mixamp as far working with XBox chat from the controller, with a inline mic attached to the headphones. the DSS only outputs sound from the xbox not from the controller. the output from the controller is directly connected to the xbox specific Turtle beach headphones. the headphones do the mixing not the DSS which only does the Virtual surround.

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #9,492 of 23,366
Quote:
Seriously hope you get your VTFs. If I had the money, I'd spot you on another pair. It's the least I could do for the sacrifices you make. Hope Val can help out, buddy.
Thanks and please try to stay safe. Keep us updated too.

Thanks Roma. Thank you for the nice offer. I could get back on the pre-order and wait, I would just have to pay again but it's just not the same as getting the VTF's I originally ordered. The VTF's were special and that is what is awful about the whole situation. I hope I can get some help from Mr. Kolton. I PM'ed him with my situation but I know he is a busy man. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #9,494 of 23,366
So, I just got back from a run to a local RadioShack store. I was meaning to grab a 3.5mm-3.5mm cable, but they're all pretty pricey over there. I saw the M-80's on display and I seized the opportunity to give them a listen next to the M-100's.

As always, a photo is completely necessary. XD

I used a few Cantonese-pop, folk, and instrumental rock tracks as my testing tracks. I can't tell you how awkward it is to stand in a store and have the employees stare at you as you swap between headphones with your own source (I was the only customer in there at the time).

Next to each other, the M-80 has a more balanced sound to them. The upper-treble seemed a bit edgey to my ears but they aren't harsh at all. The upper-midrange was pretty good and the vocals were up-front. The bass was somewhat punchy and had decent extension. For home listening, the M-80's overall sound would probably be more preferable to many and I think it would be more enjoyable to listen to with more music genres. The M-100's bass is pretty dominating when compared next to the M-80, and the laid back upper-treble is somewhat apparent. If you're listening to rock music at home, personally I think the M-80 would be a better choice. While mobile listening on the other hand, the M-80 probably wouldn't be as good as the M-100.

The M-100's larger soundstage is really apparent when directly compared to the M-80. It did seem much deeper AND wider compared to the M-80. When I first listened to the M-80 today, I was thinking: "hm...this soundstage sounds pretty closed-in and two-dimensional". The instrumentation separation of the M-100 is also greater, so instruments are more clearly defined and have more space between them.

The details presented in the M-100 are also more apparent when compared to the M-80. The M-80 reveals details to a certain extent, but the M-100 in comparison is definitely more detailed.

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #9,495 of 23,366
Quote:
So, I just got back from a run to a local RadioShack store. I was meaning to grab a 3.5mm-3.5mm cable, but they're all pretty pricey over there. I saw the M-80's on display and I seized the opportunity to give them a listen next to the M-100's.

As always, a photo is completely necessary. XD

I used a few Cantonese-pop, folk, and instrumental rock tracks as my testing tracks. I can't tell you how awkward it is to stand in a store and have the employees stare at you as you swap between headphones with your own source (I was the only customer in there at the time).

Next to each other, the M-80 has a more balanced sound to them. The upper-treble seemed a bit edgey to my ears but they aren't harsh at all. The upper-midrange was pretty good and the vocals were up-front. The bass was somewhat punchy and had decent extension. For home listening, the M-80's overall sound would probably be more preferable to many and I think it would be more enjoyable to listen to with more music genres. The M-100's bass is pretty dominating when compared next to the M-80, and the laid back upper-treble is somewhat apparent. If you're listening to rock music at home, personally I think the M-80 would be a better choice. While mobile listening on the other hand, the M-80 probably wouldn't be as good as the M-100.

The M-100's larger soundstage is really apparent when directly compared to the M-80. It did seem much deeper AND wider compared to the M-80. When I first listened to the M-80 today, I was thinking: "hm...this soundstage sounds pretty closed-in and two-dimensional". The instrumentation separation of the M-100 is also greater, so instruments are more clearly defined and have more space between them.

The details presented in the M-100 are also more apparent when compared to the M-80. The M-80 reveals details to a certain extent, but the M-100 in comparison is definitely more detailed.

So by that conclusion, the M100 would surely be better for home listening than the M80's, as apart from the bass, the soundstage and details are better? Haha...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back