V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 27, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #8,853 of 23,366
I really don't think the M-100 needs a amp. I've never amped my headphones before and wanted to see what a amp would do to a already great headphone.

Different amp can give different coloration to the sound. I think adding a Zo would make the M100 a more bass head sound. I've experienced how a Zo changed the bass of an FA003.

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #8,854 of 23,366
Quote:
I really don't think the M-100 needs a amp. I've never amped my headphones before and wanted to see what a amp would do to a already great headphone.

There are differences, but it shouldn't be a deal-breaker for the M-100 (i.e. "oh no, I can't afford an amp...I'M DOOOOOOMED!"). That being said, since the ZO2 is apparently a subwoofer that *cleanly* improves the bass response, maybe it will be worth the investment if you're interested in having a nice bass boost.

On a random note, I was watching Head-Fi TV's new episode and I was really interested in the new Lantos Technologies intra-aural scanning system. One of the suggested videos on the YouTube page was about how your hearing system works, and that video had another video suggestion:

I don't know how many times the nail needs to be hammered, but I think this video really nailed it for me in realizing how valuable hearing is. As much as I love listening to music, maybe I should stop listening to music hours on end at moderate volume levels.

I don't know about you, but hearing loss sounds pretty scary and I'm already starting to "lose" some of the higher frequencies (17+ kHz)...I'm only 21 years old! D:
I should really go see an audiologist at a local Costco store.

Being an audiophile, and more importantly, a bioengineer, I'm hoping I can study and learn about hearing loss in detail and hopefully, maybe, some day create an impact on peoples' quality of life. Stem cell tissue engineering is still a new field of study, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it can play a role in restoring peoples' ability to hear again.

Sorry for the random note, I just wanted to write down my thoughts.
Practice safe listening and avoid hearing loss, folks.

On a related note, my dad absolutely LOVES the Faders (I let him use the ones that came with the VTF-100) and thinks it's really neat that there exists "ear plugs" that don't block out all of the frequencies and can still do daily activities without having to pull them out and say "what?".

It's things like that, not knowing such products exist, that makes me grateful for V-MODA since they advertise hearing protection products.

- Val if you're reading this, I just want to thank you and V-MODA for making the Faders, as well as promoting hearing loss protection. I think it's important that young people, including myself, realize that although we love listening to music, we should do so with a clear conscience and make smart choices about how we do so. You guys are really being a good role model in the audio products industry, and I hope others realize the seriousness of the issue of hearing loss as well.

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #8,855 of 23,366
Yeah, it's official. At best, I love these headphones, at worst, they're only "good". Short, point-form review:

Loving:
  1. Detail. Be it treble, bass, or mid-range, every level has so much detail. I am a previous owner of Audio Technica ATH-M50's, and the jump in detail is astounding. Acoustic guitar, cymbals, and drums all feel very crisp. 
  2. Build. Being made of a mix of metal and strong high-quality plastic, these feel like one of the strongest headphones I've ever owned. No creaks when I'm wearing them, no 'loose' hinges, or rough pads. Everything in this build oozes quality.

Liking:
  1. Sound Signature. The sound signature of the M-100 is an odd beast. Crisp, clear, pronounced treble, a slightly recessed, but still "forward enough" mid-range, and pumping, purring bass. It's a "shallow V" signature. More balanced than my previous M50's, but the bass boost may say otherwise. Works with some songs/genres, "only okay" with others.
  2. Customization/Parts. With custom plates, I can call these headphones "mine", in a way I couldn't do with other headphones. I wish I could do this with more headphones, but it's nice that it's there. Coupling the shield plates with all the cable options, replaceable parts, service, and warranty, these are a winner in longevity.

"Eeehhhh..... Well...."
  1. Comfort. Shallow, thin, small pads keep these headphones from being all they can be. They're very soft, but too small (circumference) and and too thin. Those with large ears will be bothered by both, while those with small ears, the circumference won't be a problem. but the depth still will bother them. After a while on the head, the pads will depress, and driver cover will rub up against your ears. A fix may be in the works, and I am hoping that it happens asap.
  2. Bass. A bit (very small bit) too much for my ears. I love the punch, but it is too 'wide' for me. This is more of a personal thing, but people may want to know this in advance.

9/10 from me. I will keep listening and putting down impressions. Look out for an AKG K267 comparison in the next 3 weeks or so.

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #8,856 of 23,366
Quote:

Hi there bud. I'm Leon, semi-basshead and all-around musical connoisseur.

I have tested the M-100 extensively with the ZO2 and am rather pleased with the results. What I think should be done first is MiceBlue's or DigitalFreak's paper towel mod. This gives the headphones a bit more 'space' and gives your ears more room to breathe.

I've been using the ZO2 on high gain mode at a yellow-green contour and it sounds pretty fantastic. I want to experiment with higher-tier amps, but unfortunately, I can barely pay rent as it is.

Bass is boosted to subwoofer levels, but remains detailed and sharp. Mids/Vocals are still to be desired, but doesn't become worse with the amp. Highs also still sparkle rather nicely.

I think my next big investment sould be an amp that compliments the M-100 by improving the mids, but also giving me just a slight bass boost as well. Does anyone know of a portable amp with a sound signature like this?

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #8,858 of 23,366
Quote:
Hi there bud. I'm Leon, semi-basshead and all-around musical connoisseur.

I have tested the M-100 extensively with the ZO2 and am rather pleased with the results. What I think should be done first is MiceBlue's or DigitalFreak's paper towel mod. This gives the headphones a bit more 'space' and gives your ears more room to breathe.

I've been using the ZO2 on high gain mode at a yellow-green contour and it sounds pretty fantastic. I want to experiment with higher-tier amps, but unfortunately, I can barely pay rent as it is.

Bass is boosted to subwoofer levels, but remains detailed and sharp. Mids/Vocals are still to be desired, but doesn't become worse with the amp. Highs also still sparkle rather nicely.

I think my next big investment sould be an amp that compliments the M-100 by improving the mids, but also giving me just a slight bass boost as well. Does anyone know of a portable amp with a sound signature like this?

Here's what you do, go to Leckerton Audio and email Nick. He's the guy who designed the amps on there and runs the site. Tell him what you would like and ask him if he can suggest a good op amp to compliment your headphone. Leckerton is known for bringing a lot to the table for a rock bottom price and in the past Nick has been known to custom install certain op amps at customers request. My UHA-4 is a killer amp for the price and everyone I've run across on here who has owned the flagship UHA-6MKII have commented they love that amp even more. The great thing about the UHA-6MKII is unlike the UHA-4 you can swap out different op amps at your leisure until you've found your sound. You can also use both the UHA-4/6MKII as a soundcard for your computer because they both also have DAC's. The only other options I can suggest would be the ALO RX MKII which is substantially more in price. You go up another step in the ALO amp food chain and as you can see for yourself the ALO RX MKIII is even more substantially pricey. AlO makes good amps but they're known for being pricey and the same can be said for Ray Samuels Audio. The only other options cheaper then Leckerton would be JDSLabs's c421 amp and their cMoy BB v2.03 and of coarse Fiio. If money is no object go with ALO or Ray Samuels. If it is my personal recommendation is Leckerton Audio. If Leckerton is still to rich for your blood do some research into either JDSLabs or Fiio. I can't speak for Fiio but I have heard the c421 with the A2227 op amp installed and in my opinion it wasn't a half bad sounding amp. There are more options out there of coarse but I think I've given you enough to look into. Oh and by the way, if you're rocking an iPod do yourself a big favor and get Fiio's L9 line out dock connector. You can easily find the L9 on Amazon for cheap. If you're going to go with a mobile rig having low profile connectors will make your life way easier. An finally, whatever you do don't fall for the bull that 100 plus bones spent on cables make a difference in sound because they don't or at least not enough to make it worth paying a premium price for boutique cables. Avoid the ALO cable site section like the plague and keep your money in your pocket where it belongs.

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #8,859 of 23,366
Quote:
Here's what you do, go to Leckerton Audio and email Nick. He's the guy who designed the amps on there and runs the site. Tell him what you would like and ask him if he can suggest a good op amp to compliment your headphone. Leckerton is known for bringing a lot to the table for a rock bottom price and in the past Nick has been known to custom install certain op amps at customers request. My UHA-4 is a killer amp for the price and everyone I've run across on here who has owned the flagship UHA-6MKII have commented they love that amp even more. The great thing about the UHA-6MKII is unlike the UHA-4 you can swap out different op amps at your leisure until you've found your sound. You can also use both the UHA-4/6MKII as a soundcard for your computer because they both also have DAC's. The only other options I can suggest would be the ALO RX MKII which is substantially more in price. You go up another step in the ALO amp food chain and as you can see for yourself the ALO RX MKIII is even more substantially pricey. AlO makes good amps but they're known for being pricey and the same can be said for Ray Samuels Audio. The only other options cheaper then Leckerton would be JDSLabs's c421 amp and their cMoy BB v2.03 and of coarse Fiio. If money is no object go with ALO or Ray Samuels. If it is my personal recommendation is Leckerton Audio. If Leckerton is still to rich for your blood do some research into either JDSLabs or Fiio. I can't speak for Fiio but I have heard the c421 with the A2227 op amp installed and in my opinion it wasn't a half bad sounding amp. There are more options out there of coarse but I think I've given you enough to look into. Oh and by the way, if you're rocking an iPod do yourself a big favor and get Fiio's L9 line out dock connector. You can easily find the L9 on Amazon for cheap. If you're going to go with a mobile rig having low profile connectors will make your life way easier. An finally, whatever you do don't fall for the bull that 100 plus bones spent on cables make a difference in sound because they don't or at least not enough to make it worth paying a premium price for boutique cables. Avoid the ALO cable site section like the plague and keep your money in your pocket where it belongs.

Holy DAMN dude, thank you a million times!

I did already know about JDSLabs and FiiO of course, and I am planning on getting an L9 as a sort of birthday gift to myself soon (Nov. 5). I'll be looking into Leckerton for sure. What a fantastic post, man.

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #8,860 of 23,366
Quote:

Holy DAMN dude, thank you a million times!

I did already know about JDSLabs and FiiO of course, and I am planning on getting an L9 as a sort of birthday gift to myself soon (Nov. 5). I'll be looking into Leckerton for sure. What a fantastic post, man.

Hey no problem I'm glad I could help. If you email Nick and don't get a response right away first check your spam folder before sending another message his way. For whatever reason a few people have had Nick's replies wind up in their spam folders. Oh an before you commit to anything do yourself a favor and take your time researching. There's no real hurry so be sure when you commit your hard earned bones towards an amp it's going to be something you like.

In case nobodies figured it out yet my big thing is on the go pocket-fi.
darthsmile.gif

Click Pictures To Enlarge

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #8,861 of 23,366
I'm so curious to try out ZO2.1 with M100. With my Q40, I'd also also concider it a very mild U-shape ampless but paired with ZO2.1 it balanced out the mids & highs and brings midrange more forward in comparision to highs when ampless and more in your face so it's easier to pick up details in it as well as affecting the bass largely positive in my book, subwoofer bass levels but defined strong bass response that doesn't take away the details from the rest of the range, I still hear more microdetails especially in midrange on the Q40 despite keeping the contour level at yellow at which the bass is really largely boosted.

Feels like M100 is the perfect candidate for ZO2.1, with ZO2.3 on the other hand I feel it roughly keeps the same frequency balance as the headphones have, the v2.1 brings a more forward midrange in comparision.

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #8,862 of 23,366
I'm wondering whether anyone's used different cables with V-MODA headphones (particularly the M100)? I'm sure someone's made 3.5mm to 3.5mm silver or silver/copper cables.

[EDIT] Anyone happen to know what the stock cables (shareplay, 2 button mic) are made from?

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #8,863 of 23,366
Quote:

Hot dang that's an informative post. Thanks for sharing! I'll be sure to keep Leckerton Audio in mind if I decide to change amps for synergy reasons.
I'm all for transparency at the time being, but synergy would also be something worth looking in to I think. I was actually eying Schiit amps too for synergy with my SRH940 and the K 701 in the future.

I bought an O2 1) because it can drive a K 701, and 2) it's supposed to be a very transparent amp.

You know your synergy is off when your brother says: "[the M-100] has more treble on the MacBook, it seemed kind of muffled on the [O2/ODAC]". XD

Quote:
I'm wondering whether anyone's used different cables with V-MODA headphones (particularly the M100)? I'm sure someone's made 3.5mm to 3.5mm silver or silver/copper cables.

[EDIT] Anyone happen to know what the stock cables (shareplay, 2 button mic) are made from?

I'm not much of a cable-believer, but I think the stock V-MODA cables are made of the standard stuff (99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999% oxygen free [copper?]).

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #8,864 of 23,366
Quote:

It says they are gold. I think I would love the stock cables, but I too want to buy some extra cables for more flexibility.
Does anyone have any cable recommendations for the M100 that are worth recommending?

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #8,865 of 23,366
Quote:
It says they are gold. I think I would love the stock cables, but I too want to buy some extra cables for more flexibility.
Does anyone have any cable recommendations for the M100 that are worth recommending?

The cables' jacks are gold-plated. I'm 100% sure the cables themselves aren't made of gold or else V-MODA would be losing money at ~$15 a cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back