V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 27, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #8,836 of 23,366
Quote:
Thank you for the comparisons DigitalFreak. It was particularly interesting to read about how music has changed over the years and consequently provide completely different listening experiences with the M-100 and DT1350. I've been curious as well about the two headphones side-by-side, even though I know they're completely different headphones. From what I read, I've always considered the DT1350 to be an alternative SRH940, but with a much better bass response.
OK this is exactly what I have been meaning to say by the cymbals sound off to me with the unmodded M-100. The snare drums are more forward than the cymbals to my ears which is why I had a problem with a lot of rock songs while at home, it just sounds weird to me to have cymbals farther much back on the stage than the snares.
And this is a random note, but I see you use "coarse" (coarse sandpaper) instead of "course" (of course) in a lot of your posts. XD

You're welcome and yeah i have to stop typing coarse and instead use course. I feel rather embarrassed now I don't proofread more closely

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #8,837 of 23,366
You're welcome and yeah i have to stop typing coarse and instead use course. I feel rather embarrassed now I don't proofread more closely

Naw, you're fine. I usually edit my posts many times before I'm happy with it (if you look at previous posts, I usually edit my posts even 5 minutes after it's been posted).

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #8,838 of 23,366
Quote:
hahah you're right. man m-100 goes DEEP....and no, im not just looking for bass, which is why i love M-100. detailed with nice treble extension (without being harsh), but still has massive bass when it is called for...maybe it's only because i haven't heard them in awhile, but from memory M-80 has more of a punch to its bass although it didn't go as deep it did feel punchier, no? more mid bass?...maybe i just need to listen to them again

It's probably due to M80 not having that deep bass extension of M100, if you extended the bass on M80 you'd also think it would sound less punchy, this I can say with experience. It's all about balance, if you take away subbass the midbass will come through punchier, while the more subbass focused the softer & slower kind of bass you'll get. So it's all about balancing the different elements correctly. The bass response on M-Audio Q40 is really nicely balanced in terms of mid vs subbass, it feels like the ratio "subbas rumble vs midbass punch" is ideal so that they are both as loud as possible without overshadowing each other (both midbass and subbass are about equally forward / has same quantity)

Here's my analyzement of Q40's bass:

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #8,840 of 23,366
Nope. Some of us who ordered back in August are only just getting them now.

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #8,841 of 23,366
Okay, I've had a lot to do these past couple of days but I've tried to stay up to date on this thread, unfortunately, I haven't really succeeded in doing that.
Can someone point me toward DigitalFreak's mod? 
I didn't have any problems with the comfort at first but now it's up for improvement. (Only on the right ear though.. weird.)

Also, white M100's + orange shields+orange cable = win?? 
Would love to see a pic of this setup. :)

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #8,842 of 23,366
Quote:
I tried searching for the manufacturer, but could not find.  Speaking of portable amps that pair well with the M-100, I am considering upgrading my FiiO E11.  Anyone have any thoughts on the JDS Labs C421 and the differences between their chip options: OPA2227 and AD8620?  Any other portable amps in the $200 range that might bring out the mids and lows a little more?

On the c421 (OP2227), the M100 sounds very smooth, especially the mid to treble range which is subtly pronounced. The bass is less upfront. The bass boost adds an excessive amount of warmth to the lows and mids. (The E11's bass boost sounds cleaner and more controlled to me.) But damn! The c421 brings out M100's impressive detail in the mids and widens the soundstage quite a bit. You can throw it slower, mellower stuff like jazz vocal or acoustic and the M100 will perform very nicely. The resolution, tonal balance and soundstage are spot on. The M100 just sounds new.

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #8,843 of 23,366
Quote:
Okay, I've had a lot to do these past couple of days but I've tried to stay up to date on this thread, unfortunately, I haven't really succeeded in doing that.
Can someone point me toward DigitalFreak's mod? 
I didn't have any problems with the comfort at first but now it's up for improvement. (Only on the right ear though.. weird.)

Also, white M100's + orange shields+orange cable = win?? 
Would love to see a pic of this setup. :)

HERE

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #8,844 of 23,366
I'm sure this has already been answered, but does it need an amp? I know they sound better with one, but how is it without one?

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #8,846 of 23,366

Holy smokes that bass punch is increased!
basshead.gif

The treble and midrange are smoother, bass notes are better defined, and cymbals are a little more audible at home (no modding). The soundstage has also opened up a bit, giving the M-100's more width. The sound isn't substantially different from my E7, which was about 1/4 the price of the O2/ODAC and is much more portable. So if you are in the market for a USB DAC/amp with the M-100, I think the FiiO products should be just fine. The O2/ODAC seems more refined and smoother, but the difference isn't worth the cost in my honest opinion. I originally bought the O2 to power an AKG K 701 in the future, which does need more "oomph" than what the E7 can give.

Unfortunately I might have to exchange this O2 unit since the headphone port is very finicky. I made an unboxing video for YouTube but I'm hesitant to upload it because my audio test went horribly awry due to that port. :/
OK what gives? It only happens to the M-100. It works perfectly fine with my SRH940, HD238, Sennheiser CX-300, and MEE M9-BK.
confused.gif

Is it because the M-100's cables have the 4-ring plug (L/R/ground/microphone?) instead of the standard 3-ring one (L/R/ground)?

With the M-100 the audio produced from the O2 had a very prominent reverberation effect sometimes. Upon plugging in my headphones all the way, and loading a media player, the L/R stereo channels sound like a single mono channel. Pulling the headphone jack out a little fixes the problem, but wiggling the headphone jack even the slightest bit either causes the left or right channel to go out, or I get a very tinny-sound with no bass response.
I can do all of the above (wiggle the jack, pull it out slightly, put it in all the way) and get perfect audio out of the aforementioned headphones.

EDIT 1: Yes it's the 4-ring connector. Reversing the cable fixes the issue. Darn 4-ring connector...

EDIT 2: I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but the SharePlay cable seems much more pliable and flexible than the standard SpeakEasy and Boom Pro Mic cables. Odd. I would use the SharePlay cable more because of this, but it's 6 ft long, which is cumbersome when walking around school and on the bus.
In order of stiffness Boom Pro Mic > SpeakEasy >> SharePlay

Also, the SharePlay cable's colours are darker than that of the SpeakEasy (at least for the white silver scheme)

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #8,850 of 23,366
Hey guys, I just got a digizoid zo2 for my m-100. Is there a better amp that you guys would recommend for 100 bucks or did I make a good choice?

That depends on what trait are you looking for. Or why do you think you need an amp with your M100?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back