V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 21, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #8,491 of 23,366
Hello. I did a quick research on detachable microphones for those of us who aren't receiving them in our orders.

So far this is my favorite one on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IRCRVM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A2EJ2DL9Y3AC72
It has a similar boom microphone design to what some of the pre- purchasers received, and it has noise cancelation & comes with the audio controllers.
If anyone has found a similar microphone, but with higher quality (this one seems pretty high as it is), please let me know. :)

But I am also curious about microphones like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C67AA0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=A2O93G6EZUI19A
One of my older pair of headphones had one similar to that and it worked really well: I was able to take it out when I wasn't talking and put it back in when I was, so it was more convenient to use. So, I am basically curious if I were to put my regular line in into the left port and then one of those small cabel-less microphones into the right port. How do you think that would work out? I did see reviews saying both ports worked for other things, none mentioning situations such as this. Is it safe to assume it works both ways?

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #8,493 of 23,366
Quote:
I have tried this mod with other headphones more for comfort.  Regarding the M-100 sonically, I am taking the following approach:  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I am 100% with you -- I actually hope the official headphones are able to maintain the sound signature and increase comfort.

Quote:
So what I take from this mod is... 

Thicker pads will both balance the sound signature (a bit) and improve the comfort to perfection? Sounds like a plan then.
wink.gif

I'd be interested to hear Val's take, but I was assuming it's the blocking of the holes vs. the thickness...I was already thinking about getting some caulk filler to use instead of the napkin I have in place now, but maybe I can do that tomorrow to shed more light on the subject.  This would allow me to make a more uniform, more cushioned insert that also has regular gaps in it.  (the to perfection is TBD for me.  The mod helps, but still doesn't cure my ears from hitting the driver cover)

Quote:
I feel somewhat less isolation. Does this mean I stuffed it with a little too much?

Could just be different environments.  I am speaking from a day of airplanes/airports without the mod then stuffing the pads and a week later another day of airplanes/airports.  I did not A/B/A during any one flight.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #8,495 of 23,366
Distinction should be made if these new pads will be thicker, larger circumference, or both.  Haven't received mine yet but dreading the anticipated driver grill bottoming out against my precious orifice (uhh, what is the plural of orifice?) The idea of stuffing them with toilet paper and Kotex is discouraging.  I think designing the driver to have been angled slightly would have been more constructive, freeing up enough clearance for most people. Thicker velour earpads would enhance it a notch as well.   Miceblue gets my vote for the prototype.  Aside from forcing us to stare at his hypnotic monkey rug in the videos, his critique has been informative, objective, and thorough.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #8,498 of 23,366
Quote:
How's isolation with and without the mod. Is it still the same?

Quote:
I feel somewhat less isolation. Does this mean I stuffed it with a little too much?

I just tested with and without the mod.

Test track played on cheap $20 speakers: Quincy Jones - Back on the Block
(M-100 is not connected to anything, cable is removed from earcup)

Modded
Isolation is pretty good
Most of the highs are blocked out
The mids/vocals are somewhat blocked out (I can still hear the singer's lyrics and the background "ooo waaai eee ooh")
Bass guitar is kind of audible

Unmodded
Isolation is still pretty good
More of the highs come through to me (the snare drum's hit is more audible), but they're still mostly blocked out
The mids/vocals, just like the highs are a tad bit louder to me (the lyrics are more distinguishable)
The bass guitar is is also more audible

Overall there is slightly more noise isolation but it's not a deal-breaker I think. Should I ride the bus, I don't think it would make a huge difference.

Quote:
Are the M100s heavy? Does anyone have comfort issues with them on the top of their head?

To me the M-100 is heavier on the ears than the head. Most of the weight is due to the earcups rather than the headband. Even though the top is minimally padded, I haven't had any comfort issues with the headband. It's very flush against my head, so there is no one area that puts a lot of pressure on my head.

Quote:
Distinction should be made if these new pads will be thicker, larger circumference, or both.  Haven't received mine yet but dreading the anticipated driver grill bottoming out against my precious orifice (uhh, what is the plural of orifice?) The idea of stuffing them with toilet paper and Kotex is discouraging.  I think designing the driver to have been angled slightly would have been more constructive, freeing up enough clearance for most people. Thicker velour earpads would enhance it a notch as well.   Miceblue gets my vote for the prototype.  Aside from forcing us to stare at his hypnotic monkey rug in the videos, his critique has been informative, objective, and thorough.

Monkey see, monkey do. <(O.O)>

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #8,500 of 23,366
What about other Gamer Gear. I mean, the M-100's leave so many possibilities and they have no doubt great feature but only giving out the boom mic to SOME people might seem too limited for the hole gaming community. I for one would pay the $20-30 price tag for an awesome Kevlar reinforced fashion trend 45 angle cable piece attachment and would consider it a full part of my gaming set up. no doubt! I can even mix my game-play with some custom tracks thanks to the dual in ports! I see myself closing my PC and putting my boom mic cable in a bag and just start walking without having to worry cause I already got my jamz in. It might not be the most suitable area to bet on to make profit on but it would totally be appreciated for those of us that enjoy sound quality on every immerse experience we have. 
L3000.gif

BTW miceblue, great vids.. A bit too simple and sloppy at time but your comments and opinions are the most straight forward I found.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #8,501 of 23,366
Quote:
What about other Gamer Gear. I mean, the M-100's leave so many possibilities and they have no doubt great feature but only giving out the boom mic to SOME people might seem too limited for the hole gaming community. I for one would pay the $20-30 price tag for an awesome Kevlar reinforced fashion trend 45 angle cable piece attachment and would consider it a full part of my gaming set up. no doubt! I can even mix my game-play with some custom tracks thanks to the dual in ports! I see myself closing my PC and putting my boom mic cable in a bag and just start walking without having to worry cause I already got my jamz in. It might not be the most suitable area to bet on to make profit on but it would totally be appreciated for those of us that enjoy sound quality on every immerse experience we have. 
L3000.gif

I have to say, I totally agree. We did pre-order too with the 310$ price tag plus almost 30$ tax. So 340$ for 300$ headphones and we just get faders+shields as extras. Where as, if we didn't buy it in a pre-order directly from the site, we could just skip the junk we know we don't need or want and get it directly from amazon tax free for 40$ less. I guess it's a personal choice. =P

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #8,502 of 23,366
I just did the mod myself and I, too, am noticing a more balanced sound. I believe the soundstage has opened up a tad bit, personally.

Currently testing with two tracks (note, I am not listening via YouTube, but through my .flac files in iTunes):

Mr. Scruff's 'Shrimp' -- Just gave me chills the whole way through. Has a real satisfying bass line throughout the entire piece, and the amount of details and instruments used is insane. This mod made this song PERFECT for me.

DJ Shadow's 'Walkie Talkie' -- A short song, but the bass kicks pop REAL nicely and the high-hat notes are very clear. Then that 'drop' happens, and the bad-ass fog-horn-like synth line slams in and OH MY GOD EUPHORIA.

*cracks knuckles* Now to try the paper towel mod + DigiZoid ZO2.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #8,503 of 23,366
Man, so much fun with these headphones.

Anyway, fun story. I guess everyone knows me as that guy who's obsessed with headphones, hats, suits, etc etc. I let two of my friends try out my M-100's. One was fabulously entertained and impressed with the quality of the headphone. The other, who frequently derides me for the obsession with headphones, said to me "You're not getting these back." Thank goodness her iPhone was running out of battery, else I might not have gotten them back quickly!

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #8,504 of 23,366
just finished downloading the entire Beatles discography in 320kbps, sounds so good on my m-100s! I guess i'm in the minority here, but i find M-100 to be pretty damn versatile with genres. But anak and many others disagree i guess....i mean yea, they aren't reference headphones they are headphones for listening to music and enjoying it but i find they are enjoyable and detailed with almost any type of music

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #8,505 of 23,366
PAPER TOWEL MOD M-100 + DIGIZOID ZO2.3

WHEW BOY. I just...woah, just gimme...gimme a minute.

How do I even begin to formulate the words I'm trying to express?

The balance is still there, the mids are just a tad recessed, as is nature to the 'phone, but the highs are sparkling, and the bass is basshead worthy. I thought that the ZO2.3 was uncompromising before, but now, with a new-found airiness to the cans via the paper towel mod, it's a PERFECT balance. A can that could likely be certified by the most extreme of bassheads, and yet retains some really beautiful mids and highs.

In a word: GORGEOUS.

Next Post: M-100 vs. Audio-Technica's Pro700MK2ANV (anniversary edition of an infamous basshead can), both amped and unamped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back