V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 21, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #8,476 of 23,366
I'm wondering, for a good all around headphone with good bass, somewhat warm, and good bass puch without sacrificing good highs and mids, with little sound leakage, if I should get these or the SRH 840's??? I just hope these leak less then the m-80's b/c some people said those didn't leak so bad like you guys are saying about the m100's but they did leak.

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #8,477 of 23,366
Quote:

I agree with that you mean there, but the people I listed are the ones who write the better, more detailed impressions. If you want people who deserve them or people who need them due to comfort issues, the list would be:

• Curly21029
  • BRSxIgnition (Me)
  • miceblue
  • (One more user who has complained of pad depth problems)

I hadn't noticed your original post.  Thank you for the vote of confidence but, although I'd be thrilled/humbled if selected, I'm willing to wait as long as needed for a solution.  As previously stated, the fact that alternative padding avenues are being pursued has inspired palpable confidence in the product and manufacturer support.

Quote:

1. Curly21029 - he has been complaining about the fit/depth the longest, so he should be picked for sure. He will be able to tell us in detail the difference in comfort and such between the thin pads and the thick pads, both in SQ and comfort.

Heh... I'm such a whiner. 

Quote:
But what about the mids, how are they? How neutral are they In comparison with a very colored headphone like the aiaiai tma-1. Are they more or less neutral then the m-80?

A simple illustration:

TMA-1 = BASS - MIDS - TREBLE

M-100 = BASS - MIDS - TREBLE

I cannot comment on the M-80, but am considering a purchase for my significant other as a surprise addition to her Xmas haul.

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #8,480 of 23,366
Quote:
I didn't mean to make it sound like that, I'm sorry. I just meant that you were the first to provide proper details about the fit and such - and the first to have a big problem with it. I think that you should definitely be one of the people to help fix the issue.

No apologies necessary.  I was laughing at myself.

...heh.

Quote:

I just hope these leak less then the m-80's b/c some people said those didn't leak so bad like you guys are saying about the m100's but they did leak.

For a bit of reference, I just asked the little lady to my right if she noticed any "noise" emanating from my direction.  She said no.  Disclaimer: both the television she's watching and my 'phones are set to a moderate volume.

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #8,481 of 23,366
@ miceblue

Give the following video clip a shot and tell me what you think.

Edited: Ok here's a decent clip of the song I want you to sample

I've never actually watched Tron Legacy, so this is the first time I've listened to this particular track:

Modded
some rumble, not a lot though
nice bass punch
"snare drum" is pretty clear, non-sibilant
"cymbal" ts ts ts ts ts sound is audible
midrange seems pretty forward
the orchestra parts sound really nice (2:45)
soundstage seems pretty wide
instruments are clearly defined
sounds pretty balanced overall

Unmodded
more rumble, very nice indeed
harder-hitting punch
drum sound is still pretty clear, non-sibilant (seems louder than modded)
"cymbal" ts ts ts ts ts sound is still audible but it's not as obvious (overshadowed by the midrange synth?)
midrange is a bit farther back, not as forward
the orchestra parts are well-defined but farther back than the synthesizer?, sounds a bit off to me since usually orchestra parts are more pronounced in a movie soundtrack
soundstage is wide, but not quite as wide as the modded version
instruments are less separated, but still clearly defined
sounds U-shaped overall (the bass is the most prominent, "snare drum" has nice authority in the track, mids seem laid back relative to the bass and drums

XD
I forgot to say what I think of the song. It's a great song. I really like the orchestra piece in there and that plus the synthesizer gives the track a "going on an adventure", or "victory is approaching" kind of feeling.
The electronic sounds remind me of a Portal 2 song:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sER1rSv5bd8[/VIDEO]

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #8,482 of 23,366
Oh, my ears don't hurt anymore. With this mod, it is a 10/10 for comfort in my opinion now. I don't listen to enough bassy music for it to affect me. At least I think so..

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #8,484 of 23,366
Can anyone listen to 2 tracks for me, the ones tat made me realize the aiaiai's where lacking. On the first one I could barely hear the guy going 

“OOOHAAAWWEEEEOOAAHOOOOEHHHEEEH!” (or something)

during the mechanical guitar riff after the screamy part (It seemed like that part was way behind the guitars, yet normally it's supposed to seem on the same "plane" as the guitars), and the guitar solo going on behind it was hard to hear. Also those female vocals where muffled as heck! (Actual song starts at 1:30 skip ahead and ends at 6:20 rest is just long intro and outro) :  http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/The+Ferryman/3C8SBc?src=5

And the details in this song from the strings and tremelo picking and glockenshpiel and strings where totally lost: http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Moya/1Lx9Lt?src=5

How are these on the m-100?

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #8,485 of 23,366
Quote:
I've never actually watched Tron Legacy, so this is the first time I've listened to this particular track:
Modded
some rumble, not a lot though
nice bass punch
"snare drum" is pretty clear, non-sibilant
"cymbal" ts ts ts ts ts sound is audible
midrange seems pretty forward
the orchestra parts sound really nice (2:45)
soundstage seems pretty wide
instruments are clearly defined
sounds pretty balanced overall
Unmodded
more rumble, very nice indeed
harder-hitting punch
drum sound is still pretty clear, non-sibilant (seems louder than modded)
"cymbal" ts ts ts ts ts sound is still audible but it's not as obvious (overshadowed by the midrange synth?)
midrange is a bit farther back, not as forward
the orchestra parts are well-defined but farther back than the synthesizer?, sounds a bit off to me since usually orchestra parts are more pronounced in a movie soundtrack
soundstage is wide, but not quite as wide as the modded version
instruments are less separated, but still clearly defined
sounds U-shaped overall (the bass is the most prominent, "snare drum" has nice authority in the track, mids seem laid back relative to the bass and drums

How's isolation with and without the mod. Is it still the same?

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #8,486 of 23,366
Two questions. If I pre order now, will I be getting the prototype or the final product? And also are there any tutorials for creating a cool design for the shield?

You will be getting the final product. But just to let you know the M-100's myself and 148 others own are not "prototypes" they are the final product and are no different then the M-100's you will receive in December if you preorder now

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #8,488 of 23,366
So what I take from this mod is... 

Thicker pads will both balance the sound signature (a bit) and improve the comfort to perfection? Sounds like a plan then.
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #8,489 of 23,366
Val, I'm more than happy to help test out new prototype pads, if you are still looking for volunteers.

I'm loving my M-100s at the moment. The sound is sooo much better than I had expected (and trust me, I had high expectations from following the development of the M-100 through the Head-Fi forums from the start of the year).

I've tried stretching/flexing the headband a little bit to reduce the clamping force which has made it a little bit more comfortable to wear for longer, but still after an hour of wear, it starts becoming uncomfortable.

I'll have to give the paper towel trick that Miceblue suggested when I get home. I am a tad concerned about the loss of bass though (~ 40% of the music I listen to is bass-heavy).
I've been holding out on writing a review for the M-100 as I've got a serious case of New Toy Syndrome 
atsmile.gif
 I'm gonna wait for at least a few more weeks so I can hopefully give a more objective review.

Currently I'm using the following setup:
- iPod Video (5.5G) + FiiO E7
- Cowon J3

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #8,490 of 23,366
Quote:
Same -- I posted a file a few pages back that demonstrates the isolation on an airplane.

I feel somewhat less isolation. Does this mean I stuffed it with a little too much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back