V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 14, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #7,891 of 23,366
I don't know why but I am not really into the bass that vmoda delivers. For some reason I really like the bass from headphones like the dt1350, and hell even the beats studio but not the m80/m100's. I love vmoda's, unrivaled to my ears, mid and high signatures but the bass just doesn't give me that sound that I am looking for. How does the bass signature of the ue6000/ue9000, sony x10, and sony mdr-1r's compare to these.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #7,892 of 23,366
Quote:
If anyone here is wondering, the M-100 is assembled in China. I'm not sure where individual parts are from, but the "assembled in China" note is the only thing I could find about where the M-100 is "made". I know that some people are against products "made" in China, so I thought I should mention it.

Alot of things are made in China these days. Some bad but alot excellent. It all comes down to the level of Quality Control and I believe V-Moda has a rather high level of QC.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #7,893 of 23,366
Quote:
I don't know why but I am not really into the bass that vmoda delivers. For some reason I really like the bass from headphones like the dt1350, and hell even the beats studio but not the m80/m100's. I love vmoda's, unrivaled to my ears, mid and high signatures but the bass just doesn't give me that sound that I am looking for. How does the bass signature of the ue6000/ue9000, sony x10, and sony mdr-1r's compare to these.

I can't speak for the DT1350 as I've never tried it nor do I intend to criticize your preferences, but I'm of the opinion that the Studios excreted some of the worst bass reproduction I've ever heard.  It sounded... well, exactly how it looks:

Concerning the others you've listed, you'd be best served taking the X10 out of the running.  The bass is an indistinct overcast of bloat -- just one unpleasant attribute of a truly repugnant can.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #7,894 of 23,366
The audio-only cable I received with my V-80s is 6-feet long. I'm assuming the ones on the site are similar.

Someone else said they noticed a lot of microphonics from the Speakeasy cable, and I had that problem too. I figured out that if you spin the cable inside the port, you can eliminate most, if not all cable noise.

I tested the boom mic, and the audio quality is pretty good I think. I haven't used a boom mic before, so I have no baseline comparison to go against. You guys probably have more experience than I do.
V-MODA Boom Pro Mic Cable test
MacBook built-in microphone test <- believe it or not, but up until now, I've been using this microphone for all Skype video chats/calls. XD
I still haven't figured out Windows's audio options, so if anyone else can try it, or provide instructions, that would be great.

Relating to microphonics, I'm not sure if it's audible to the other party. For me, the one wearing the headphones, I can hear the cable microphonics as if the headphones were in-ear-earphones. During a Skype call, I had the Boom Pro Mic cable plugged in to the right earcup and hooked up to my MacBook's headphone out port (my MacBook has a headphone out port and an audio-in port), which is on the left-side of the MacBook. Whenever I turned my head, I could hear the cable brushing against my shoulder. I switched earcups (Boom Pro Mic on the left earcup) and the same thing happens.

I think this is due to the fabric cable because I had the same experience with the SpeakEasy cable when I tried using it during the Skype call. The SpeakEasy cable's microphone didn't work for me during the call; but then again, my MacBook might be too old to support it since V-MODA's website says it works with iMac 2009 and newer, and my MacBook is from late 2008.

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #7,895 of 23,366
The DT3150's have a nice amount that is very precise, but I don't feel that the bass have much punch to it. I'm very excited by the reviews that the bass is super duper fun for the M-100's because honestly,songs sound great with the dt135's, but they lack a good amount of bam to make them fun to listen to, or at least more fun.

As for those waiting, I ordered on the 16th with matte black as well. And for those complaining, you know what they say. **** happens. If Val and Bill and other guys are running around promoting the M-100's with really... well-tested M-100's,  then I'd consider us lucky to get them even a bit later for forces out of their control (customs). Even if it's a few blemishes, I'd say that there's nothing to fret about.
Quote:

I can't speak for the DT1350 as I've never tried it nor do I intend to criticize your preferences, but I'm of the opinion that the Studios excreted some of the worst bass reproduction I've ever heard.  It sounded... well, exactly how it looks:

Concerning the others you've listed, you'd be best served taking the X10 out of the running.  The bass is an indistinct overcast of bloat -- just one unpleasant attribute of a truly repugnant can.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #7,896 of 23,366
Quote:
The DT3150's have a nice amount that is very precise, but I don't feel that the bass have much punch to it. I'm very excited by the reviews that the bass is super duper fun for the M-100's because honestly,songs sound great with the dt135's, but they lack a good amount of bam to make them fun to listen to, or at least more fun.

As for those waiting, I ordered on the 16th with matte black as well. And for those complaining, you know what they say. **** happens. If Val and Bill and other guys are running around promoting the M-100's with really... well-tested M-100's,  then I'd consider us lucky to get them even a bit later for forces out of their control (customs). Even if it's a few blemishes, I'd say that there's nothing to fret about.

Well the last time i heard the studios were a year ago so my mind by now must have changed. The dt1350 imo had just as much punch as my crossfaded did when i had them. The dt1350 has this unique bass that i had really been acustomed to. Financial and earpain issues led me to sell them. I guess i will try the ue's and sonys at apple/sony store to get a better idea vs the m100's

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #7,897 of 23,366
Quote:
Well the last time i heard the studios were a year ago so my mind by now must have changed. The dt1350 imo had just as much punch as my crossfaded did when i had them. The dt1350 has this unique bass that i had really been acustomed to. Financial and earpain issues led me to sell them. I guess i will try the ue's and sonys at apple/sony store to get a better idea vs the m100's

What I can see from Innerfidelity's measurement is that the DT1350 features very well balanced mid/subbass with exceptionally great bass quality for its price, a tight, controlled, snappy bass.

Personally I'd love a fullsized DT1350 with +3~5dB bass boost looking at that measurement.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #7,898 of 23,366
Quote:

Yeah I'm waiting for my matte black M100s to ship as well.  It's all good - I'm just going to be patient (and no, there's no conspiracy to delay orders for those with low post counts lol).  Once mine do ship it will take a couple weeks to get here (Amsterdam).  In the meantime I'm happy to read everyone's reports.  Hoping for some more in-depth reviews from people like Jude as well.

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #7,899 of 23,366
Quote:
On the flip side, 99% of the 147 consumer consortium has been thrilled by the sound and OVERALL quality and many aren't even posting about how happy they are.  

As a mostly-lurker here on Head-Fi but one of the lucky 147, I just wanted to chip in that I'm absolutely in love with my M-100s as well. These are easily the best all-around headphones I've ever owned -- fantastic sound, good noise isolation (they're quite usable on my daily subway commute, though I do have to turn the volume up a notch or two) and such spectacularly versatile construction. (I'm especially impressed with how well-integrated the boom mic is, knowing from this forum how late in the development phase it was added to the design. It's a testament to the foresight that went into the engineering of the headphones in the first place.)

While it may just be new-toy infatuation, they've more or less replaced every other pair of headphones I own: great for listening at work, great for listening at home, great for listening on the go and great for gaming and voice communications. About the only thing the M-100s can't replace is my Westone 4Rs, since I can't sleep in them.

In short: 
beyersmile.png

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #7,900 of 23,366
Quote:

UE6000 bass is more satisfying to my ears, but needs to run in passive mode with an amp to get the best sound out of them.  I auditioned the X10 and IMO, it is an overpriced mess.

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #7,901 of 23,366
Recently, Mr. Kolton mentioned that certain people had received the M-100s and were pleased with the sound but hadn't bothered to post about it.  I'm only writing this post to respond to that particular comment.

I won't have the M-100s in time for my thoughts to meet the pace of this or any other discussion. That's the only reason I haven't posted my findings and probably won't in the future.  I'll probably be happy with the M-100s and I do feel lucky to have been included in the pre-order. 

I'm also not commenting on delays because they're irrelevant. I appreciate the extra trouble and care this entire project involved. 

But at this point, you don't need anything from me.

Reviewing the M-100s had a deadline in terms of interest and applicability.  AnakChan had to spend weeks listening and formulating his words and I'm no different. Even if the M-100s had been delivered to me a week ago, there's a good chance my review wouldn't have been useful to anyone by the time it appeared.

I'm very pleased about the M100s that await me.  I expect them to be gorgeous and I'll be happy to get the chance to use them months in advance of everyone but the rest of the VTF 300.

This post should not be construed in any way as expressing dissatisfaction.  It's point is that no one need be dissatisfied with me -- or with anyone else in my current situation.

§ § § § §​
 ​
Checking the tracking page periodically on Friday, October 12, I learned that my M-100s had been delivered at last at 4:00 p.m.  Since the package was shipped to my work address, that meant a messenger would pick it up from the post office on Saturday and bring it back to the building, where it would await me when I returned on Monday night.

I'll have four free days to listen to these headphones extensively, but I'm disinclined to post my impressions here.

At this point, we've been inundated with reviews, nearly everyone else who pre-ordered the M-100s now has them in hand, and Mr. Kolton has said he's already given the go-ahead to mass production because he has all the feedback he needs. 

If I notice anything surprising about the M-100s, I'll mention it, but the actual need for a detailed report is officially over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back