V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 13, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #7,877 of 23,366
Quote:
I was just wondering if anybody has experienced what Val calls "Purring" on a IPhone or IPod? And on what song?
I have experienced it on my desktop setup but I really love it the effect so I was curious if it would happen on an iPhone as that is what I would mainly use on the go. If you can't experience it on a iphone i will probably look into getting a E11 or something similar.
Can anybody comment on this and how the E11 pairs with the M-100.

I haven't felt purring with my Iphone, although good volume levels can be achieved, but near the highest setting.  My E11 seems to pair well with the M-100, although I haven't compared to any other amps for reference.  I can easily achieve purring with the E11, especially with the two-stage bass boost.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #7,878 of 23,366
I haven't felt purring with my Iphone, although good volume levels can be achieved, but near the highest setting.  My E11 seems to pair well with the M-100, although I haven't compared to any other amps for reference.  I can easily achieve purring with the E11, especially with the two-stage bass boost.

Alright and would the E11 with the L9 Cable be better than a Digizoid ZO2?

They are around the same price I'm quite sure so I was just curious as to how they compare.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #7,880 of 23,366
I've tried and tried to scan the QR code underneath the outer sleeve and can't get it to scan. Has anyone else been able to? The code is in the symbol of the Roman soldier's head?....I'm not sure why Val but it sounds like people can't get it to scan?

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #7,881 of 23,366
Quote:
My M-100 arrived a few hours ago.  I have listened to them, but am withholding any sonic impressions for at least a week. (reasoning: burn-in, adapt to their signature, compare to others, avoid "new toy syndrome")  A few non-SQ notes:

+It's not an "unboxing."  It's an experience.

+Easily amongst the most premium-feeling 'phones I've ever held; it's second only to the Edition 8.  Construction-wise, however, it may be the absolute sturdiest.

+I ordered the Shadow finish.  I anticipated blingy.  I got classy.  The red is MUCH more subdued than it appears in most of the pictures that I've seen, but still adds a touch of sports car aggressiveness.

+Personalized note indeed.  I genuinely chuckled! (will post more at a later time)

-As with the red flourishes, the brushed-look shields are more subdued in appearance than I anticipated.  However, there is a manufacturing defect with the left one that caused staining/streaking imperfections across its entirety.  It's as if a chemical was unintentionally spilled on it and it ran in several directions.

-I changed my secondary shield order from matte to gloss.  I twice confirmed with support that I was to receive gloss since the details did not reflect the change.  I received matte.

-Like some others have pointed out, my custom design looks fuzzy/uneven around the edges and is more opaque in the center while fading to the left and right.  My design is completely made up of straight lines and right angles.

-The Allen wrench that comes with the secondary shields is of poor quality and stands in stark contrast to the rest of the materials used. ('phones, packaging, et al)

The good has greatly outweighed the bad in my short time with the M-100.  The only build/aesthetic negatives thus far stem from the shields and, to be brutally honest, I'm currently unhappy with both sets I've received.  Should these pass the next week's SQ gestation period, I'll be pursuing customer support.

UPDATE:

Before the above was written, I attempted to scrub the stained/streaked shield with distilled water and a microfiber cloth.  A few moments ago, I picked them up between rounds (it's fight night... I trade my 'phones for the edge of my seat) and was able to rub it away with my thumb.  It took quite a bit of pressure, but it worked.  I then made sure to remove any excess oils with the water/cloth combo and washed my hands of... whatever the heck was on the shields.  My M-100 now looks perfect. (although, I'd still rather match the gloss cups with some gloss shields) 

Just an FYI for anyone who experiences something similar.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #7,882 of 23,366
Do the V-Moda M-100 not come standard with an audio-only cable?

If not, is an audio-only cable available for purchase from V-Moda?

Not at this point. It comes with the SpeakEasy cable (4 ft., 1-button, separate microphone further up the cable) and the SharePlay cable (6 ft., headphone splitter at the bottom of the cable).

Yes an audio-only cable is available here. It costs $12 USD.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #7,884 of 23,366
Thanks for that. Do you know how long the audio-only cable is?

Nope, unfortunately. Actually, looking at V-MODA's website, they don't mention the cable length at all for any of their cables.

valkolton, if you're reading this, and you have the time (or for a future task), I think it would be helpful to customers if you list the length of the cables on your online store. I for one didn't expect the SpeakEasy cable to be longer than the SharePlay cable, which is the same length as the boom mic cable.

I'm reading through the user manual for the M-100 and it mentions:
Available Accessories
...CoilPro cable and fashion accessory headbands may be ordered at V-MODA.com

^ I'm wondering if that means actual headband accessories (like what women wear), or headband accessories as in interchangeable headbands.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #7,885 of 23,366
Hey Head-Fiers, I may sell my  pair of white m-100s, everything would be included, the reason I am selling is them because I bought them on a whim and it may not be in the best economical interest for me to keep them. I chose plain gun metal shields as my custom shields. I just wanted to see if any head-fiers were interested in purchasing them otherwise I may just return them. BUT they are AMAZING headphones. They sound is really amazing, the bass rumbles in a deep and good way.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #7,886 of 23,366
If anyone here is wondering, the M-100 is assembled in China. I'm not sure where individual parts are from, but the "assembled in China" note is the only thing I could find about where the M-100 is "made". I know that some people are against products "made" in China, so I thought I should mention it.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #7,887 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks for that. Do you know how long the audio-only cable is?

The audio-only cable I received with my V-80s is 6-feet long. I'm assuming the ones on the site are similar.

Someone else said they noticed a lot of microphonics from the Speakeasy cable, and I had that problem too. I figured out that if you spin the cable inside the port, you can eliminate most, if not all cable noise.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #7,889 of 23,366
Quote:
My underwear is made in Bangladesh.

Congrats, I wear zebra striped boxers made in Taiwan and on special occasions I go commando. The ladies seem to be all grins when I go the latter, don't figure

An now back to our regularly scheduled program

The M-100 rants and ravings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back