V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 12, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #7,756 of 23,366
Quote:

I don't know that any city in the US other than NYC has the density to support a place like Fujiya AVIC or e-earphone in Tokyo.

Unless some other smart businessman "gets it" quickly and opens up high-end headphone shops, I am going to start planning more and more V-MODA stores in America.

But, I am a maker and forward-thinker, not a retailer.  Somebody will eventually get it right and open up what is CLEARLY the modern record/stereo/car audio shop that is all about experience.

Ok, enough of my frustration and rants about America/Europe retailemmings.  And now, back to our original program topic: M-100!   

-V

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #7,757 of 23,366
Is there an ETA for the UK market yet?  Need a portable pair of headphones and don't know whether to plonk down some benjamins now for the M80 or wait if it's just round the corner...

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #7,759 of 23,366
Val, I'm curious as to why you chose to use clips to secure the pads instead of a method like Audio Technica's over-ears (PRO700mk2, namely) where the pads just slip onto a ridge. There is no way these pads are going to survive repeated changes the way they are designed. Hell, they barely even survived the first time, I felt like I was going to tear them in half when I was taking them out.

This is something that will need to be a serious consideration if you're considering selling non-stock pads. Even in the tutorial video, the model's hands were shaking with force trying to take out / place in the pads.

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #7,760 of 23,366
Quote:
Val, I'm curious as to why you chose to use clips to secure the pads instead of a method like Audio Technica's over-ears (PRO700mk2, namely) where the pads just slip onto a ridge. There is no way these pads are going to survive repeated changes the way they are designed. Hell, they barely even survived the first time, I felt like I was going to tear them in half when I was taking them out.

This is something that will need to be a serious consideration if you're considering selling non-stock pads. Even in the tutorial video, the model's hands were shaking with force trying to take out / place in the pads.

I think the point is that they're not designed for repeated changes!  Only really to be replaced once and be done with it.

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #7,761 of 23,366
Just got my M100 an hour ago. Sounds pretty great so far but there's a bit more scuffs on the cans that I would like.

Ah well, back to listening. 
beyersmile.png

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #7,762 of 23,366
Quote:
I think the point is that they're not designed for repeated changes!  Only really to be replaced once and be done with it.

Exactly, I  designed the mechanism for the BEST SEAL, CONSISTENCY and SOUND, not to be taken on/off for fun. They are designed to be taken off when you want to replace them or MAYBE one time if you are a curious george like me.

I hate the cushions that wrap around a lip for multiple reasons I'll keep tight-lipped about.

#SOUNDDESIGN

-V

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #7,763 of 23,366
Quote:

How would you compare the mids/vocals, how forward are they in comparision to UE6000, Q40, ATH-PRO700MK2 etc. that you've had experience with. Is it more "in-your-face"-sounding or a bit more distant/laid-back/polite sounding?

I consider mids in both the UE6000 and M-100 to be right on the money, neither recessed nor forward as compared to the PRO700MK2 which I consider recessed.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #7,764 of 23,366
Quote:
Is there an ETA for the UK market yet?  Need a portable pair of headphones and don't know whether to plonk down some benjamins now for the M80 or wait if it's just round the corner...

Also rather interested in this...is Amazon UK going to be taking stock do you know?

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #7,765 of 23,366
With some more M-100 listening under my belt, I thought I would add a few comments.

1. The M-100 can be driven off my Iphone better than most headphones I have heard and certainly with better SQ.

1. At first, I couldn't discern differences in soundstage, thinking all closed headphones were the same.  Now that I am digging through my collection and enjoying artists I have not heard in some time, I am definitely picking up on and enjoying the increased soundstage.   So far, two artists in particular seem to benefit from the added soundstage the M-100 provides:  Pink Floyd and No Doubt.  If I close my eyes, I can identify the position of voices, instruments and effects; not far off what I heard auditioning the open HD558 the other day.

1. The clarity and highs are breathing new life into my 60's and 70's collection.

On a related note, has there been any consensus regarding the two M-100 threads?  Is there a "switch over", are they being consolidated, or should everything continue to be posted here? 

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #7,766 of 23,366
Looks like V-Moda managed to create a rare product based on the impressions so far, they actually "underprice" it versus what the typical competeting brands would do, I wouldn't have been suprised to see if some other big companies had released such headphone in the 399~$499 price range. Looks like AKG K267 Tiesto, Sony MDR-1R, Sennheiser Momentum, PSB M4U 1, Yamaha Pro400/500 and Audio Technica ATH-WS99 which I see like its strongest competitors will face a really hard competitor they are not used to compete with. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back