V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 11, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #7,666 of 23,366
Quote:
Picked up my m-100 but quite pissed pff because i had to pay the post office 25 bucks. What kind of bs is that seriously i already paid for shipping.. Man so pissed

its called customs + greedy shipping companies

edit: its pretty usual
theres head fiers here you get regularly harged for that stuff since they have to pay taxes on out of country shipping
i saw $250 additional cost on top of 1k ciems

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #7,667 of 23,366
"The cans have a pleasingly slim profile, so that also means there isn't much depth inside of the earcups from the pads to the metal grills in front of the drivers.

Even though this editor didn't experience major cartilage cramps after a few hours of repeated use, it's safe to say it'll be a weird feel for some -- memory foam pads only help so much when parts of your ears are being pressed against pieces of metal veiled only by a thin strips of fabric.

Kolton stresses that, based on his research and various reviews (Amazon & Head-Fi), most people do rate the ergonomics highly, but noted that deeper, wider and velour pads are definitely on the table for post-release availability."

Was hoping their would be more ear-room, in terms of depth, than the LP.  Nice to see there is at least the possibility of ordering different size earpads, and the first I've heard velour mentioned in the mix.  But I'd like to throw in making some 'puffier' earpads for those of us that dont like cartilage rash from the grill drivers.  Modding them with cotton is not an option I prefer.

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #7,668 of 23,366
Copied from other M-100 forum:

I am usually camera shy, but thought I would be brave and show off my new M-100.  Isolation is good considering the dreds.

Seriously though, first impressions out of the box:

1. One of the best sounding headphones I ever heard in my semi-limited experience
  2. Midrange resolution and detail is fantastic
  3. High end resolution and extension is even better than I imagined.  There is sparkle with no hint of sibilance, just beautiful, smooth, clear, detailed highs
  4. Bass has superb tightness and punch; bassheads that want the biggest, deepest bass ever will be disappointed; music enthusiasts who appreciate beautifully presented impactful bass that complements detailed mids and smooth extended highs will love the bass;  bass is noticeably enhanced with amping Versa anyone??
  5. Build quality is fantastic.  M-100 is more compact than I thought, very solid, design is really an innovative work of art, especially the hinges and goes right down to the smallest details.  Cups are smaller than I thought, but I can still squeeze my ears in.  Oversized leather pads in our future??  Val's passion and ingenuity created something really special here.
  6. IMO, the M-100 completely destroys Amperior and Momentum sonically.  Consider the bar raised for every manufacturer.

Thank you Val.

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #7,669 of 23,366
I've been holding back from posting anything about my M-100's as I'm fairly new here and don't consider myself an audiophile. I really just wanted a great pair of over the ear headphones. I did a little research and found myself looking through threads here on Head Fi months back. Then I came across this thread.... I've been reading through it for months waiting for these to be released and when the pre-order came available I jumped on them...... I've been listening to these for a couple of days now and I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed. Build quality is awesome, the extras included were an added bonus and IMO they sound amazing. I don't have near enough experience to describe what I'm hearing so I'll obviously defer to the audiophiles and experts around here, but I couldn't be more stoked on these!

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #7,670 of 23,366
If you guys did have velour pads that were a bit wider, thicker, and deeper for the M80 I would DEFINITELY buy them.  I find the M80's to be fatiguing after a few hours of use and I think velour pads (or just special, thicker comfort pads) would solve this comfort issues.

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #7,671 of 23,366
They came in today! I will be posting my review on the first page of the other thread but I just wanna ask here, is the carabiner that we get supposed to be missing?

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #7,673 of 23,366
Quote:
Mine is inside the case.

Mine sure isn't. I'm not complaining though, since carabiners are abundant from career fairs and whatnot.

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #7,674 of 23,366
Hey I got a question.

Did anybody order matte black with gunmetal shields?   That's what I'm thinking about getting for myself (when available).   I would love to see a pic of that color combination with the orange cable plugged in...

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #7,675 of 23,366
Can someone compare the soundstage of the M-100 with a HD598, using this:

Very well done video using binaural audio.

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #7,676 of 23,366
Quote:
"Kolton stresses that, based on his research and various reviews (Amazon & Head-Fi), most people do rate the ergonomics highly, but noted that deeper, wider and velour pads are definitely on the table for post-release availability."

Very exciting/enticing remark.  Several of us have been clamoring for leather, but velour is certainly a (equally?) viable option.  However, swapping from (p)leather/synthetic to velour pads significantly impacts the SQ of several existing 'phones, so it's safe to assume that Mr. Kolton and co. will give the prospect a long gestation period.

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #7,677 of 23,366
Quote:

Very exciting/enticing remark.  Several of us have been clamoring for leather, but velour is certainly a (equally?) viable option.  However, swapping from (p)leather/synthetic to velour pads significantly impacts the SQ of several existing 'phones, so it's safe to assume that Mr. Kolton and co. will give the prospect a long gestation period.

Another consideration is the case- it is such tight fit as is, would larger pads require a modified case?

Here's a thought- M-100L (for leather or luxury) plush oversized leather pads with accompanying larger leather case.

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #7,678 of 23,366
Another consideration is the case- it is such tight fit as is, would larger pads require a modified case?

Here's a thought- M-100L (for leather or luxury) plush oversized [p]leather pads with accompanying larger leather case.

I'll have to try the M-100's earpads when I get them myself, but that just reminded me of the XB-series headphones.

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #7,679 of 23,366
My M-100 Review

Design/build quality: Feels very study, yet much lighter than i anticipated. Changing shields takes some patience and finesse, but is definitely worth it for that extra customization. Looking at yourself straight in the mirror with M-100 on you will notice that they are very form fitting & surprisingly low-key(with my matte black color) which i personally really like. Folded up they are pretty darn compact and the case is very nice as well. Very nice looking headphone. Isolate very well, minimal leakage

Comfort: for myself M-100 is very comfortable and I feel no discomfort over long periods of listening except for some mild heat build up which is to be expected from pretty much any closed headphone. However comfort is very subjective and it should be noted that in exchange for that super sleek design i mentioned previously the downside is that the ear cups don't have much depth. the inside area of the cup is also not overly large. For me the cups fit very very nicely, but if you have larger than average ears or your ears stick out sideways a lot you may want to try these on first to make sure they are comfortable to you.

Sound quality: M-100 sounded great right off the bat, but after about 12 hours burn-in time, WOW! so clean and crisp!

Sound stage: pretty good for a closed headphone. very nice separation and more "open" sounding than I expected

Bass: To my ears, near perfect. great impact, Deep, controlled, does not bleed into mids and highs (very important to me)
                           I should  note that my friend(owner of Beats Pro) thought they were light on bass, so if you are a serious basshead they may not
                           be enough for you, but to my ears they provide what I would describe as perfectly controlled yet powerful bass

Mids: Very nice, smooth. Listening to songs I have heard many many times before I hear things I never noticed before! Specifically "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac, a song I always thought was great but very simple, I hear so many different voices and ambient noises that i couldnt hear before! sweet!

Highs: I would also describe the Highs as smooth. definitely present, but compared to other high end headphones they are not as 
                           "in your face", which i personally like ,although I feel this is an area of much debate? . non fatiguing, but still detailed enough to be 
                            quite pleasant

In Conclusion I am very satisfied with M-100, they are exactly what I wanted from them. A fantastic portable audiophile headphone. My only small complaint, more like nitpick hahah, No audio only cable included?

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #7,680 of 23,366
Quote:

Here's a thought- M-100L (for leather or luxury) plush oversized leather pads with accompanying larger leather case.

Personally, I would prefer a leather-finished display box.

*Note: Ed 8 box does not use genuine leather.*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back