V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #7,472 of 23,366
Well, my AKG Q701 came in the mail today, so I'm not too mad... 
tongue.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #7,473 of 23,366
I wanted to throw a little more out for folks after a bit -- I am still tinkering with the headphones and will let them burn in overnight before giving a final review, but here's my initial thoughts.

Build Quality -- Very Good to Excellent -- All of the hinges and moving parts are extremely smooth and precise, the headband adjustment has a good feel to it, and the overall package just screams high end from the moment you lay your hands on the box.  Even the simplest things like the leather (fake?) handle and closure and the little red ribbon that you have to cut.  I do have two complaints though.  My particular set has two small areas on the right hinge where the powder coating didn't adhere to an edge, they are small and will probably be invisible with a bit of sharpie (you can actually see it in the pic below) and I am not a fan of the self tapping screws for the shields.  The allen wrench they send is worthless, but even with proper tools I had to be EXTREMELY careful not to cross thread the screws when putting my new shields on.

Comfort - Excellent - I admit that I am only a couple hours in and I have had to take them off many times to deal with kids, but the clamping force is enough to seal out the environment without causing any pain yet and the memory foam pads are nice.  It is very warm in my office, but so far the heat hasn't been unbearable.

Isolation - Good to Very Good - With music on the outside world fades away, just like I want.  It's good to not hear screaming kids right in the next room!  I only didn't say excellent because from memory I feel that they are still under my Shure E3C's with foam plugs, but I expected that! 

Sound Quality - Excellent - I will do a more in depth here later, but in this newbie's opinion you guys are in for a treat.  Even without burn in the bass is tight (My reference song is Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, O' Fortuna.  Many phones ---read as Beats--- muddle the bass so bad you can't even tell that there are discrete hits to the bass drum, these you can hear every strike of the mallet).  I will also say I noticed a big difference moving from my iPhone 4s to my Astro MixAmp.  They definitely appreciate the extra oomph, but still sounded great on my phone.

I will play with the mic and other things in the coming days and try to do a full review next week, after I have spent 16 hours on an airplane really testing the isolation and comfort!

Here's my custom shields -- I wish the bike had been a little larger, but still looks cool to me!

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #7,475 of 23,366
Well, my AKG Q701 came in the mail today, so I'm not too mad... :p

Ah, now you can compare the M-100 to the Q701, as I'm going to get a K701. > : D

I wanted to throw a little more out for folks after a bit -- I am still tinkering with the headphones and will let them burn in overnight before giving a final review, but here's my initial thoughts.

Build Quality -- Very Good to Excellent -- All of the hinges and moving parts are extremely smooth and precise, the headband adjustment has a good feel to it, and the overall package just screams high end from the moment you lay your hands on the box.  Even the simplest things like the leather (fake?) handle and closure and the little red ribbon that you have to cut.  I do have two complaints though.  My particular set has two small areas on the right hinge where the powder coating didn't adhere to an edge, they are small and will probably be invisible with a bit of sharpie (you can actually see it in the pic below) and I am not a fan of the self tapping screws for the shields.  The allen wrench they send is worthless, but even with proper tools I had to be EXTREMELY careful not to cross thread the screws when putting my new shields on.

Comfort - Excellent - I admit that I am only a couple hours in and I have had to take them off many times to deal with kids, but the clamping force is enough to seal out the environment without causing any pain yet and the memory foam pads are nice.  It is very warm in my office, but so far the heat hasn't been unbearable.

Isolation - Good to Very Good - With music on the outside world fades away, just like I want.  It's good to not hear screaming kids right in the next room!  I only didn't say excellent because from memory I feel that they are still under my Shure E3C's with foam plugs, but I expected that! 
Sound Quality - Excellent - I will do a more in depth here later, but in this newbie's opinion you guys are in for a treat.  Even without burn in the bass is tight (My reference song is Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, O' Fortuna.  Many phones ---read as Beats--- muddle the bass so bad you can't even tell that there are discrete hits to the bass drum, these you can hear every strike of the mallet).  I will also say I noticed a big difference moving from my iPhone 4s to my Astro MixAmp.  They definitely appreciate the extra oomph, but still sounded great on my phone.

I will play with the mic and other things in the coming days and try to do a full review next week, after I have spent 16 hours on an airplane really testing the isolation and comfort!

Here's my custom shields -- I wish the bike had been a little larger, but still looks cool to me!

Has anyone tried the M-100's in public yet? Or try it without music playing?
Saying "I don't hear anything while my is music playing" is a broad statement since I can say my HD238 has excellent noise isolation when I listen to my music on max volume, so I don't hear anything else.

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #7,477 of 23,366
Quote:
Ah, now you can compare the M-100 to the Q701, as I'm going to get a K701. > : D
Has anyone tried the M-100's in public yet? Or try it without music playing?
Saying "I don't hear anything while my is music playing" is a broad statement since I can say my HD238 has excellent noise isolation when I listen to my music on max volume, so I don't hear anything else.

I didn't mean that to say that the music was playing at excessively loud volumes in order to drown the noise, but rather when listening at comfortable volumes in my quiet office, if one of the kids screamed I didn't hear it (the wife had to flash the lights).

I have had them on quite a bit without music playing.  They block a noticeable amount of the sound, but not enough that you can't easily hear whats going on.  I still pull a headphone off in order to have a conversation, but you for sure don't have to.  I will do more in depth tests when I get into a better environment next week.

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #7,479 of 23,366
Hm, so I guess it doesn't come with that VoIP adapter for the boom mic then?  I'm probably gonna have to get on ordering one of those, seeing as how my PC does not accept TRRS-type mic plugs like Apple computers do!

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #7,480 of 23,366
I didn't mean that to say that the music was playing at excessively loud volumes in order to drown the noise, but rather when listening at comfortable volumes in my quiet office, if one of the kids screamed I didn't hear it (the wife had to flash the lights).

I have had them on quite a bit without music playing.  They block a noticeable amount of the sound, but not enough that you can't easily hear whats going on.  I still pull a headphone off in order to have a conversation, but you for sure don't have to.  I will do more in depth tests when I get into a better environment next week.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I tend to like headphones with a decent amount, but not too much noise isolation. A lot of isolation is better for bus and airplane rides, but I like to be aware of my surroundings, so less isolation fits in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back