V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 9, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #7,426 of 23,366
Quote:
Sounds like good news to me
duggehsmile.png

Hehehe it might be, but sounds bad news for my wallet 
tongue_smile.gif
 Probably I'll have to buy something to go over this issue, I mean my laptop's issue, I don't wanna lose the great SQ from the M100 much less can stand without music 
frown.gif

Quote:

Integrated laptop chips have never been really great. It might even be a good indication that M100 might actually scale with amping instead of being uber easy driven and have almost no potential to increase quality with a good amp. I rather take a headphone that needs a little basic amping / a little better source than your phone or integrated laptop chip to work "OK" than one that is super easy driven but no scalability with amping.

It's really sad actually, because after a short while listening it becomes really unbearable 
frown.gif
 The solid bass from the M100 becomes over strong, pretty headache maker 
triportsad.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #7,427 of 23,366
Quote:
tongue_smile.gif
 Probably I'll have to buy something to go over this issue, I mean my laptop's issue, I don't wanna lose the great SQ from the M100 much less can stand without music 
frown.gif

It's really sad actually, because after a short while listening it becomes really unbearable 
frown.gif
 The solid bass from the M100 becomes over strong, pretty headache maker 
triportsad.gif

That's typical from lack of proper amping for a bassier can yea. Bass usually gets a lot tighter/controlled and punchy with proper amping for a headphone. XB700, DT770 Pro are good examples that sound quite bad in the bass without any amping.

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #7,428 of 23,366
Quote:
Pavillion? Its Sound Card probably isn't the greatest as RPGWizard pointed out. For mine, I use WASAPI, but going through my Cowon is probably the preferable option.

deadhorse.gif
 I'm gonna be honest with you, when I bought this HP I was definitely looking for hardware VS cheap/reasonable price. Haha it was $656.00 or pretty close from that when I bought, however through friends I found out that Staples would give $200 discount in a special day. It works for the stuff I normally use, just got surprised right now 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Love the review/initial impression of the headphones! Definitely makes these last couple of days waiting manageable. I would suggest also posting the review in this thread. I know it's confusing having to deal with multiple threads, but that's the one where most of us will also be posting ours, so it makes sense to keep them all together. Also worth suggesting is posting over in the Mid-Fi Closed Portable Headphone Battle 2012 Discussion V3 [FINAL]. That's where a lot of us will be going to compare all of the new headphones that just came out/are coming out soon. My apoligies if you either already know about these threads or just don't feel like going throught the hassle.

Oh yeah I'm going to post over there too. At least on the appreciation thread 
wink_face.gif
 Just got a huge busy day at work today. And thanks, I do appreciate you liked even it is a pretty basic review 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Actually even it seems that I was complaining about details, I really love my M100, don't really see any concrete concern to complain about unless my HP Pavilion isn't a great partner for my new cans 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #7,429 of 23,366
Quote:
tongue_smile.gif
frown.gif

Considering your Sansa sounded good to you, a fiio e7 will level the playing field. They occasionally will sell between $30-$50 used. keep an eye on amazon 3rd party, or our classifieds section; quite a bargain, if you ask me

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #7,430 of 23,366
There we go guys, it's review time :L3000:  I actually tried to take photos as best as I could, it's night here already.

Really I must say I thought the whole package would be bigger :rolleyes:  Let's show up the pictures, from the M-100 and also my officially retired DJ-PRO 3000:

I got surprised about the build quality, all seems to be really strong, took a while to start listening to them 'cause I had a tuff time switching the shields. I hope I was the unlucky one because I got two broken screws while taking them off, still lucky I could take them off in one piece.

Differently then I expected, I loved the shiny black shields as much as the brushed metal ones, my engraving wasn't prefect, but this is surely my picture's resolution fault. All the cables are gorgeous and before I forget the faders are so tiny :p  seems cute, but it does a great job (finally protected against my little bro's screaming). At first you feel kinda funny with them, but you definitely can hear crystal clear :wink_face:

The memory pads are freaking comfortable as the headband as well! I don't have the biggest ears ever, but the ear cups fit better than i thought, and the foldable system looks strong.

The noise isolation was kinda weaker comparing with the DJ-PRO 3000 in mute, but while playing it does an wonderful job really.

The sounding is just amazing! :deadhorse:  The improvement upon the DJ-PRO 3000 it's simply huge! Trebles are perfect, it is right where it should be. Middles are amazingly measured, I'd say if it had more middles, it would ruin this amazing headphone. Bass are pretty solid, not a full-body feeling, but pretty close, seriously great! The distinction between treble and middle it's perfect, made my experience listening Hendrix an whole new stuff, wish the distinction from middle and bass was that much clear, but it sort of mix/loses itself in it's transition. It's just a detail, not an issue at all. The bass is quite deep just enough, really enjoyable. There is not that much to compare actually 'cause the DJ-PRO 3000 is an alcoholic grape juice, while the M-100 is the best vintage wine.
I really loved the feeling I got while listening, I tested from Hendrix to Tchaikovsky, even nature sounds, I heard all perfect through the M-100.

Who loves true deep bass will be kinda sad if looking for extra bass, it really has that punching feeling, but isn't the same as bass heads cans. I'd really say that after 3 1/2 hours the M-100 sounds quite better, specially on the bass I feel. And yet really comfortable, nothing tries to scalp your head.

Concluding the M-100 definitely worth each penny I've invested, the waiting time, and the delays! Even I got a couple of details as the broken screws while taking them off, but I really wonder myself how really great headphone it is. Sounds amazing, surely I believe it'll sound even better with an amp. I tested on my Fender, witch isn't a headphone amp, but gave me wow results. And honestly I hope my review could help everyone as a first impression simple review. I'm in love with my M-100 :D

Btw the double input gives lots of uses! And I kinda liked the increase on gain when using both jacks. Isn't that much but reminds me my guitar amps :devil_face:

I gotta thank everybody here 'cause if I hadn't been among you all in this thread I'd probably hit my face on the ground for buying a garbage can or even same quality as I already have with the DJ-PRO 3000. I'm glad I met you guys!:L3000:  And surely no less important I gotta thank Val and all V-MODA team for this great success!!!!! I'm definitely looking forward for all devices that'll come up!

PS: In case of anyone gets curious, the guitars were '72 Telecaster reissue with deluxe humbuckers, actually customized by the last owner, while the other one is a 2004 Memphis strato all customized with stickers from my friends and all tuned-up by myself with new stainless frets, rosewood fretboard, golden nut, a neck single coil HS 3, middle pickup original Memphis and bridge Seymour Duncan humbucker. 1M potentiometers, new air free wires and interior body copper shielding. :beerchug:

While I appreciate the impressions, I'm looking forward to hearing a more in-depth review. *Perfect* treble, amazing mids and enjoyable lows are all pretty general statements and I *could* say an Apple earbud does the same...you get my point.

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #7,431 of 23,366
Quote:

Oh yeah I'm going to post over there too. At least on the appreciation thread 
wink_face.gif
 Just got a huge busy day at work today. And thanks, I do appreciate you liked even it is a pretty basic review 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Actually even it seems that I was complaining about details, I really love my M100, don't really see any concrete concern to complain about unless my HP Pavilion isn't a great partner for my new cans 
tongue_smile.gif

Sounds great, definitely looking forward to a more in depth review. It doesn't surprise me that your laptops built-in sound card is crappy, and it definitely doesn't take away from the M-100 IMO, a nice usb sound card ought to do the trick.

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #7,432 of 23,366
Quote:
Considering your Sansa sounded good to you, a fiio e7 will level the playing field. They occasionally will sell between $30-$50 used. keep an eye on amazon 3rd party, or our classifieds section; quite a bargain, if you ask me

I already was taking a look on amps, but also I'm quite tempted to buy the Rocoo-p, nothing sure yet. I don't wanna throw myself on buying the first stuff I think will be good and then having to return  or even wasting money and time. Regarding that the improvement I've noticed on my review was upon the DJ-PRO 3000, it probably has a big blank comparing this headphone to others already considered quite good. The fact the Stanton is endorsed by Marshall I don't really believe that it means more than media only. Actually audio preferences are stuff really personal what is good for me might be horrible for others as vice versa. I didn't wasted my time testing on my smartphone 'cause this is a piece of metal/plastic that I'm willing to throw in fire quite a good time 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #7,433 of 23,366
Quote:
Sounds great, definitely looking forward to a more in depth review. It doesn't surprise me that your laptops built-in sound card is crappy, and it definitely doesn't take away from the M-100 IMO, a nice usb sound card ought to do the trick.

Quote:
While I appreciate the impressions, I'm looking forward to hearing a more in-depth review. *Perfect* treble, amazing mids and enjoyable lows are all pretty general statements and I *could* say an Apple earbud does the same...you get my point.

Replying both, I'm either looking forward to more in-depth review. What I did was definitely beginner review, pretty superficial I'd say, but it would be a real boldness from my part if I had told to everybody deep details that I'm not prepared to comment. 
biggrin.gif
 My will was just giving everybody a brief first picture of what we've invested, I do have so much to learn, and here with all of you guys I have been able to learn stuff I didn't have chance before 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Hehe just take my review as a "friendly excitement". I still can laugh because we can see stuff much worse on youtube that people really swear it's a professional review and even get angry after being criticized. As much I can learn as much I am glad. 
wink_face.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #7,434 of 23,366
Replying both, I'm either looking forward to more in-depth review. What I did was definitely beginner review, pretty superficial I'd say, but it would be a real boldness from my part if I had told to everybody deep details that I'm not prepared to comment. :D  My will was just giving everybody a brief first picture of what we've invested, I do have so much to learn, and here with all of you guys I have been able to learn stuff I didn't have chance before :)  Hehe just take my review as a "friendly excitement". I still can laugh because we can see stuff much worse on youtube that people really swear it's a professional review and even get angry after being criticized. As much I can learn as much I am glad. :wink_face:

^ +9001 to this. XD

How is the sub bass on the M-100? My SRH940 can play all but the lowest of frequencies pretty well on this track (darn bass roll-off).
This is one of my benchmark test songs for sub-bass.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXU5aUbJ_W8[/VIDEO]

^ I just realized how much YouTube distorts the low frequencies. :/

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #7,435 of 23,366
I like your attitude Wleyraud, that's the spirit. Besides, demanding in-depth reviews after a short listen without any burn in or whatever no matter whom you're asking is also quite absurd. ^^

Every1 who got their M100 early is like being surrounded by sharks. Every1 is desperate to get a bit of information from you. xD

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #7,436 of 23,366
Quote:
I like your attitude Wleyraud, that's the spirit. Besides, demanding in-depth reviews after a short listen without any burn in or whatever no matter whom you're asking is also quite absurd. ^^

Thanks! 
wink_face.gif
 Yeah I agree, I've tested the M100 just about 4 hours, and so far I have appropriate equipment, all that I have done indeed was testing with daily devices that any person probably would own. I pretty much liked how it is comfortable actually. the only part that seems fragile are the memory pads,seems easy to rip. Btw those 4 hours also count the time I spent switching shields, witch was about 20 something minutes. 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
^ +9001 to this. XD
How is the sub bass on the M-100? My SRH940 can play all but the lowest of frequencies pretty well on this track (darn bass roll-off).
This is one of my benchmark test songs for sub-bass.^ I just realized how much YouTube distorts the low frequencies. :/

Dude so far I'm pretty happy with the bass in general on the M100, to test the bass frequencies I listened an Organ version of Danse Macabre by Saint-Saëns witch includes a large range of bass.Considering that I use a Sansa clip zip, I didnt get disappointed with the results. But all I can say surely will be superficial. Wish i could help more. I did get kinda deeper about testing effects, being specific guitar pedals, witch is where I use headphones pretty often considering that I live in an apartment and the neighbors are pretty annoying, and I don't even play any loud 
confused_face.gif

PS if anyone indicates me any useful literature that I can learn more about sounding I'll be really glad, anything useful 
bigsmile_face.gif
 Something that explains from the basic would be great.

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #7,437 of 23,366
Thanks! :wink_face:  Yeah I agree, I've tested the M100 just about 4 hours, and so far I have appropriate equipment, all that I have done indeed was testing with daily devices that any person probably would own. I pretty much liked how it is comfortable actually. the only part that seems fragile are the memory pads,seems easy to rip. Btw those 4 hours also count the time I spent switching shields, witch was about 20 something minutes. :tongue_smile:
Dude so far I'm pretty happy with the bass in general on the M100, to test the bass frequencies I listened an Organ version of Danse Macabre by Saint-Saëns witch includes a large range of bass.Considering that I use a Sansa clip zip, I didnt get disappointed with the results. But all I can say surely will be superficial. Wish i could help more. I did get kinda deeper about testing effects, being specific guitar pedals, witch is where I use headphones pretty often considering that I live in an apartment and the neighbors are pretty annoying, and I don't even play any loud :confused_face:

PS if anyone indicates me any useful literature that I can learn more about sounding I'll be really glad, anything useful :bigsmile_face:  Something that explains from the basic would be great.

Something like this perhaps? http://www.stereophile.com/reference/50/index.html

The Clip Zip is pretty darn good for its value. It doesn't have as much warmth and as wide of a soundstage compared to my iPod Video, but for $40 it's totally worth it (it trumps my iPod Touch 2G for sound quality any time, any day). I'm looking to upgrade my "desktop" setup with an ObjectiveDAC and Objective 2 amp eventually. Right now I'm using a FiiO E7 which is also pretty decent for its price.

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #7,438 of 23,366
Quote:
If its too hot, get out of the kitchen! We live in a consumer driven society. This is an independent thread and not V Modas? Or ami I wrong? If I offended someone , and you knwo who you are, by stating that the weakness of LPs was sound isolation, so be it. I am not the only who reviwed strength and weaknesses of the products. I also stated that the sound quality of LPs was great and looks witch 2 out of 3 attributes that every DJ values. I have proved that I have faith in the product and put my money where my mouth and pre ordered 100s. I follwed up with proof and not just text. CEO came out and admitted and apologized that pre orders were not handled In a best way. You have to give him credit and respect. This is my second v Moda product , so I am not sure what you are getting at??? I will never brown nose or disrespect any product or person without personal experience .

The fact you tend to confuse fundamental human respect with brown-nosing tells others a lot about you, DJ Unger, especially given your lack of concern for a person who goes to a fair amount of trouble to service a community to which you've only belonged belatedly.  And I love the fact you're telling me to get out of the kitchen in the house where I live -- a kitchen which, effectively, you've never been in before. 

It doesn't matter who Val Kolton happens to be.  What matters is that you not urinate in a trunk full of inventoried bonuses, each of which he's trying to hand to one of the others who ordered. 

Consumerism is not a synonym for ingratitude.  If people end up sending back any of the VTF orders with custom shields, then whose time and money have been wasted, theirs or V-Moda's?

Just because the CEO of a company apologizes for a delay -- not a mistake, an unavoidable delay -- doesn't give you a precedent for calling an arduous preorder a waste of your priceless three days of navel-mining.  It does, however, give me the the feeling you're either doing your own best impression of a rectal hook or happen to be oddly suited to the role.

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #7,439 of 23,366
The M-80 had enough bass for me! If anybody who owns or has tried a pair could do a comparison of the M-100s and the M-80s it would be most appreciated.

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #7,440 of 23,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wleyraud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got surprised about the build quality, all seems to be really strong, took a while to start listening to them 'cause I had a tuff time switching the shields. I hope I was the unlucky one because I got two broken screws while taking them off, still lucky I could take them off in one piece.

Differently then I expected, I loved the shiny black shields as much as the brushed metal ones, my engraving wasn't prefect, but this is surely my picture's resolution fault. All the cables are gorgeous and before I forget the faders are so tiny 
tongue.gif
 seems cute, but it does a great job (finally protected against my little bro's screaming). At first you feel kinda funny with them, but you definitely can hear crystal clear 
wink_face.gif

The memory pads are freaking comfortable as the headband as well! I don't have the biggest ears ever, but the ear cups fit better than i thought, and the foldable system looks strong.

I gotta thank everybody here 'cause if I hadn't been among you all in this thread I'd probably hit my face on the ground for buying a garbage can or even same quality as I already have with the DJ-PRO 3000. I'm glad I met you guys!
L3000.gif
 And surely no less important I gotta thank Val and all V-MODA team for this great success!!!!! I'm definitely looking forward for all devices that'll come up!

PS: In case of anyone gets curious, the guitars were '72 Telecaster reissue with deluxe humbuckers, actually customized by the last owner, while the other one is a 2004 Memphis strato all customized with stickers from my friends and all tuned-up by myself with new stainless frets, rosewood fretboard, golden nut, a neck single coil HS 3, middle pickup original Memphis and bridge Seymour Duncan humbucker. 1M potentiometers, new air free wires and interior body copper shielding. 
beerchug.gif

Thanks, Wleyraud, and congratulations on being the first to review the VTF order's extras as well as the M-100.  I see you're a guitarist and I know you own a computer, so I have to ask:  Have you tried out the mic yet? Have you attached it to anything just for fun?  And what have you been doing with the dual inputs of the M-100s that causes you to call them useful?

I respect your willingness to plunge into a review without researching the approved terms to use or trying to be more serious than the occasion made you feel. Honesty always has its own best style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back