V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 9, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #7,413 of 23,366
When can the rest of us hope to get our hands on the M100's?

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #7,414 of 23,366
Quote:
When can the rest of us hope to get our hands on the M100's?

Not preorders?

Projected release: December (barring any possible delays, which we've all learned are very possible when it comes to product release)
Mass Production Run 1 has already been cleared, once we say okay, then Val'll clear Mass Production Run 2.

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #7,415 of 23,366
Quote:
How did you get mail on a Holiday? I'm jealous.

My guess is that UPS loves money 
tongue_smile.gif
 But also who choose 2 days air shipping can get delivery on weekdays until Thursday, and 1 day air shipping can be delivered even on Saturdays, if I had chosen the 1 day air I could have it since last Saturday. If I could pick it up personally I could have it last Friday 
tongue_smile.gif
 As soon you get yours everything will be fine dude 
wink_face.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #7,416 of 23,366
Quote:
The M80 can hardly handle a sub bass frequency that good! It muffled in that category.
I returned two M-80s in 2 weeks...

Funny, I feel the M-80 bass has excellent texture and reach.
I'm not a fan of the song, but playing Rack City by Tyga, I can hear, and feel the bass rumble all the way to the floor.

Although, I usually gravitate torwards headphones with crisp and present

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #7,418 of 23,366
Well every1 wants different amounts of bass but personally I use this kind of classification:

~5dB(+): Entry level basshead; ATH-M50, V-Moda M80 etc

~10dB(+): Basshead;  Beats Studios, Denon D1100 etc

~15dB(+): Extreme Basshead; Sony XB, V-Moda Crossfade etc

For me personally quantity wise I get satisfied roughly at a 7~8dB boost, optimally want around 8~9dB boost (which I suppose M100 might be at) and aprox 11~12dB+ starts to become too much. Obviously the quality of the bass matters a lot too, a bad quality 9dB boost may sound more bloated than a good 12dB bass boost but above ratings are roughly at which bass quality can be concidered "average". For example the $2000 Fostex TH-900 measures actually +10dB boost but due to the extremely good quality bass it sounds maybe more like average quality 6dB or so boosted bass in terms of quantity.

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #7,420 of 23,366
Quote:
Yo guys, I don't even know if it is bad news, but listening Hendrix on my Sansa clip zip it sounds amazing, but on my HP Pavilion it sounds so horrible 
blink.gif
 Hope it is the laptop's fault 
confused_face.gif

Integrated laptop chips have never been really great. It might even be a good indication that M100 might actually scale with amping instead of being uber easy driven and have almost no potential to increase quality with a good amp. I rather take a headphone that needs a little basic amping / a little better source than your phone or integrated laptop chip to work "OK" than one that is super easy driven but no scalability with amping.

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #7,422 of 23,366
Quote:
Well every1 wants different amounts of bass but personally I use this kind of classification:

~5dB(+): Entry level basshead; ATH-M50, V-Moda M80 etc

~10dB(+): Basshead;  Beats Studios, Denon D1100 etc

~15dB(+): Extreme Basshead; Sony XB, V-Moda Crossfade etc

Where would you put the ATH-Pro700MK2 in there? Extreme?

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #7,423 of 23,366
Quote:
There we go guys, it's review time 
L3000.gif
 I actually tried to take photos as best as I could, it's night here already.

Really I must say I thought the whole package would be bigger 
rolleyes.gif
 Let's show up the pictures, from the M-100 and also my officially retired DJ-PRO 3000:

I got surprised about the build quality, all seems to be really strong, took a while to start listening to them 'cause I had a tuff time switching the shields. I hope I was the unlucky one because I got two broken screws while taking them off, still lucky I could take them off in one piece.

Differently then I expected, I loved the shiny black shields as much as the brushed metal ones, my engraving wasn't prefect, but this is surely my picture's resolution fault. All the cables are gorgeous and before I forget the faders are so tiny 
tongue.gif
 seems cute, but it does a great job (finally protected against my little bro's screaming). At first you feel kinda funny with them, but you definitely can hear crystal clear 
wink_face.gif

The memory pads are freaking comfortable as the headband as well! I don't have the biggest ears ever, but the ear cups fit better than i thought, and the foldable system looks strong.

The noise isolation was kinda weaker comparing with the DJ-PRO 3000 in mute, but while playing it does an wonderful job really.

The sounding is just amazing! 
deadhorse.gif
 The improvement upon the DJ-PRO 3000 it's simply huge! Trebles are perfect, it is right where it should be. Middles are amazingly measured, I'd say if it had more middles, it would ruin this amazing headphone. Bass are pretty solid, not a full-body feeling, but pretty close, seriously great! The distinction between treble and middle it's perfect, made my experience listening Hendrix an whole new stuff, wish the distinction from middle and bass was that much clear, but it sort of mix/loses itself in it's transition. It's just a detail, not an issue at all. The bass is quite deep just enough, really enjoyable. There is not that much to compare actually 'cause the DJ-PRO 3000 is an alcoholic grape juice, while the M-100 is the best vintage wine.
I really loved the feeling I got while listening, I tested from Hendrix to Tchaikovsky, even nature sounds, I heard all perfect through the M-100.

Who loves true deep bass will be kinda sad if looking for extra bass, it really has that punching feeling, but isn't the same as bass heads cans. I'd really say that after 3 1/2 hours the M-100 sounds quite better, specially on the bass I feel. And yet really comfortable, nothing tries to scalp your head.

Concluding the M-100 definitely worth each penny I've invested, the waiting time, and the delays! Even I got a couple of details as the broken screws while taking them off, but I really wonder myself how really great headphone it is. Sounds amazing, surely I believe it'll sound even better with an amp. I tested on my Fender, witch isn't a headphone amp, but gave me wow results. And honestly I hope my review could help everyone as a first impression simple review. I'm in love with my M-100 
biggrin.gif

Btw the double input gives lots of uses! And I kinda liked the increase on gain when using both jacks. Isn't that much but reminds me my guitar amps 
devil_face.gif

I gotta thank everybody here 'cause if I hadn't been among you all in this thread I'd probably hit my face on the ground for buying a garbage can or even same quality as I already have with the DJ-PRO 3000. I'm glad I met you guys!
L3000.gif
 And surely no less important I gotta thank Val and all V-MODA team for this great success!!!!! I'm definitely looking forward for all devices that'll come up!

PS: In case of anyone gets curious, the guitars were '72 Telecaster reissue with deluxe humbuckers, actually customized by the last owner, while the other one is a 2004 Memphis strato all customized with stickers from my friends and all tuned-up by myself with new stainless frets, rosewood fretboard, golden nut, a neck single coil HS 3, middle pickup original Memphis and bridge Seymour Duncan humbucker. 1M potentiometers, new air free wires and interior body copper shielding. 
beerchug.gif

Love the review/initial impression of the headphones! Definitely makes these last couple of days waiting manageable. I would suggest also posting the review in this thread. I know it's confusing having to deal with multiple threads, but that's the one where most of us will also be posting ours, so it makes sense to keep them all together. Also worth suggesting is posting over in the Mid-Fi Closed Portable Headphone Battle 2012 Discussion V3 [FINAL]. That's where a lot of us will be going to compare all of the new headphones that just came out/are coming out soon. My apoligies if you either already know about these threads or just don't feel like going throught the hassle.

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #7,424 of 23,366
Quote:
Yo guys, I don't even know if it is bad news, but listening Hendrix on my Sansa clip zip it sounds amazing, but on my HP Pavilion it sounds so horrible 
blink.gif
 Hope it is the laptop's fault 
confused_face.gif

Pavillion? Its Sound Card probably isn't the greatest as RPGWizard pointed out. For mine, I use WASAPI, but going through my Cowon is probably the preferable option.

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #7,425 of 23,366
Quote:

Where would you put the ATH-Pro700MK2 in there? Extreme?

Yes, definitely closest to the extreme category, was thinking of writing there to begin with. PRO700MK2 however have a very good bass quantity vs quality ratio taken its price into concideration as well. It may be very bassy but there's many other headphones with less bass that sounds more bloated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back