V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 9, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #7,396 of 23,366
There we go guys, it's review time 
L3000.gif
 I actually tried to take photos as best as I could, it's night here already.

Really I must say I thought the whole package would be bigger 
rolleyes.gif
 Let's show up the pictures, from the M-100 and also my officially retired DJ-PRO 3000:

I got surprised about the build quality, all seems to be really strong, took a while to start listening to them 'cause I had a tuff time switching the shields. I hope I was the unlucky one because I got two broken screws while taking them off, still lucky I could take them off in one piece.

Differently then I expected, I loved the shiny black shields as much as the brushed metal ones, my engraving wasn't prefect, but this is surely my picture's resolution fault. All the cables are gorgeous and before I forget the faders are so tiny 
tongue.gif
 seems cute, but it does a great job (finally protected against my little bro's screaming). At first you feel kinda funny with them, but you definitely can hear crystal clear 
wink_face.gif

The memory pads are freaking comfortable as the headband as well! I don't have the biggest ears ever, but the ear cups fit better than i thought, and the foldable system looks strong.

The noise isolation was kinda weaker comparing with the DJ-PRO 3000 in mute, but while playing it does an wonderful job really.

The sounding is just amazing! 
deadhorse.gif
 The improvement upon the DJ-PRO 3000 it's simply huge! Trebles are perfect, it is right where it should be. Middles are amazingly measured, I'd say if it had more middles, it would ruin this amazing headphone. Bass are pretty solid, not a full-body feeling, but pretty close, seriously great! The distinction between treble and middle it's perfect, made my experience listening Hendrix an whole new stuff, wish the distinction from middle and bass was that much clear, but it sort of mix/loses itself in it's transition. It's just a detail, not an issue at all. The bass is quite deep just enough, really enjoyable. There is not that much to compare actually 'cause the DJ-PRO 3000 is an alcoholic grape juice, while the M-100 is the best vintage wine.
I really loved the feeling I got while listening, I tested from Hendrix to Tchaikovsky, even nature sounds, I heard all perfect through the M-100.

Who loves true deep bass will be kinda sad if looking for extra bass, it really has that punching feeling, but isn't the same as bass heads cans. I'd really say that after 3 1/2 hours the M-100 sounds quite better, specially on the bass I feel. And yet really comfortable, nothing tries to scalp your head.

Concluding the M-100 definitely worth each penny I've invested, the waiting time, and the delays! Even I got a couple of details as the broken screws while taking them off, but I really wonder myself how really great headphone it is. Sounds amazing, surely I believe it'll sound even better with an amp. I tested on my Fender, witch isn't a headphone amp, but gave me wow results. And honestly I hope my review could help everyone as a first impression simple review. I'm in love with my M-100 
biggrin.gif

Btw the double input gives lots of uses! And I kinda liked the increase on gain when using both jacks. Isn't that much but reminds me my guitar amps 
devil_face.gif

I gotta thank everybody here 'cause if I hadn't been among you all in this thread I'd probably hit my face on the ground for buying a garbage can or even same quality as I already have with the DJ-PRO 3000. I'm glad I met you guys!
L3000.gif
 And surely no less important I gotta thank Val and all V-MODA team for this great success!!!!! I'm definitely looking forward for all devices that'll come up!

PS: In case of anyone gets curious, the guitars were '72 Telecaster reissue with deluxe humbuckers, actually customized by the last owner, while the other one is a 2004 Memphis strato all customized with stickers from my friends and all tuned-up by myself with new stainless frets, rosewood fretboard, golden nut, a neck single coil HS 3, middle pickup original Memphis and bridge Seymour Duncan humbucker. 1M potentiometers, new air free wires and interior body copper shielding. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #7,398 of 23,366
Ahh so not bass head cans, but with a nice Mid and Trebele Focus, that does sound nice! I just got some new cans I and I forgot all about Hendrix <3 time to go demo him a little, still nice to hear that your enjoying them! 

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #7,399 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm just hoping that my extra $40 was well spent, and I actually get mine this week. It'd be stupid to think I paid an extra 11% just to get them later than I would have normally. Tracking number is still giving me an error, and the "6 - 10" days quote hasn't been disproven yet...

In my opinion, paying for expedited shipping on an item you are already waiting for is akin to people who wait in line several days before the next iPhone becomes available. I mean, they waited in line, missing school, work, life, etc.. just to have a device a few hours-days before everyone else.. Now its not exactly the same, as you arent wasting time, rather paying money for convenience; but if you want to look at the two in a micro-scale, you can see the relation.

I can understand the built up excitement for getting something you've been anxiously waiting for. Although if christmas-eve as a kid has taught me anything, its that once anticipation is expunged, my day resumes with its ongoing schedule. For me, I'm alright waiting an extra week to save $30. I'll know that three weeks from now, I *should* have the M-100's in my hand, and extra money to blow at the Potbelly shops while I'm in DC. And if I dont get my kit three weeks from now, I still have $30 to blow at the Potbelly 
biggrin.gif

Edit: I just want to be clear, that in no way was I targeting you in a demeaning way, I was just expressing my subjective opinion

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #7,400 of 23,366
Quote:

I really loved the feeling I got while listening, I tested from Hendrix to Tchaikovsky, even nature sounds, I heard all perfect through the M-100.

Whoa dude what was the audio quality of ur Hendrix... I got some 192kbs mp3 and the Dt 880s are well KILLING all of Hendrix magic [due to the poor quality of the data not Hednrixs music]

I'll say that Satidum Arcadium Lossless [RHCP] sounds nice on a Mid and Trebele forward can, cans like that really bring out the magic in Frushatne's guitar! 

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #7,401 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm just hoping that my extra $40 was well spent, and I actually get mine this week. It'd be stupid to think I paid an extra 11% just to get them later than I would have normally. Tracking number is still giving me an error, and the "6 - 10" days quote hasn't been disproven yet...

I just received my M-100 a couple of mins ago.

I got my shipping info 3days and 6hours ago and it was shipped with Express Mail International (R) ( I live in Singapore ).

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #7,402 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
In my opinion, paying for expedited shipping on an item you are already waiting for is akin to people who wait in line several days before the next iPhone becomes available. I mean, they waited in line, missing school, work, life, etc.. just to have a device a few hours-days before everyone else.. Now its not exactly the same, as you arent wasting time, rather paying money for convenience; but if you want to look at the two in a micro-scale, you can see the relation.

I can understand the built up excitement for getting something you've been anxiously waiting for. Although if christmas-eve as a kid has taught me anything, its that once anticipation is expunged, my day resumes with its ongoing schedule. For me, I'm alright waiting an extra week to save $30. I'll know that three weeks from now, I *should* have the M-100's in my hand, and extra money to blow at the Potbelly shops while I'm in DC. And if I dont get my kit three weeks from now, I still have $30 to blow at the Potbelly 
biggrin.gif

Edit: I just want to be clear, that in no way was I targeting you in a demeaning way, I was just expressing my subjective opinion

Well here in canada the choice for shipping was either $20 for 1-4 weeks without tracking or $40 for 4-9 days with tracking!  It's pretty expensive either way. :p

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #7,403 of 23,366
Quote:
Ahh so not bass head cans, but with a nice Mid and Trebele Focus, that does sound nice! I just got some new cans I and I forgot all about Hendrix <3 time to go demo him a little, still nice to hear that your enjoying them! 

I wouldn't be so fast to conclude that, I think this is one thing to think of, not to disrespect the reviewer but you do see a great deal of people with 10 - 250 posts ordering M100 here which often also lack experience with testing many different headphones, I don't know how the Stanton compares like but I assume they must be very bassheavy and there skews this reviewers interpretion of what's a lot of bass and not, M100 is said to have a little more bass than M80, anything more than M80 is surely basshead-material in my book.

However, it may be that the bass quality is of very good quality which is what I'm suspecting so it doesn't sound overly bassy for the measured quantity and is more controlled and punchy. I believe Val was speaking about +8-9dB elevated boost at 100Hz compared to 1-2kHz earlier which is a significant amount, similar to that of M-Audio Q40 and Ultrasone PRO900 which I'd personally definitely concider basshead material. :D

I just hope the bass doesn't roll of too much at 20~50Hz, I mean we know it may have a significant boost in the midbass range but how about subbass range? ^^ I do prefer slight roll-off very deep down low personally because it helps to make a punchier and tight bass but everything is relative, too much is bad and too subbass heavy is also bad. :)

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #7,405 of 23,366
Quote:

I wouldn't be so fast to conclude that, I think this is one thing to think of, not to disrespect the reviewer but you do see a great deal of people with 10 - 250 posts ordering M100 here which often also lack experience with testing many different headphones, I don't know how the Stanton compares like but I assume they must be very bassheavy and there skews this reviewers interpretion of what's a lot of bass and not, M100 is said to have a little more bass than M80, anything more than M80 is surely basshead-material in my book.

However, it may be that the bass quality is of very good quality which is what I'm suspecting so it doesn't sound overly bassy for the measured quantity and is more controlled and punchy. I believe Val was speaking about +8-9dB elevated boost at 100Hz compared to 1-2kHz earlier which is a significant amount, similar to that of M-Audio Q40 and Ultrasone PRO900 which I'd personally definitely concider basshead material. :D

Well, many would consider the M-80 basshead material and I'd personally beg to differ!  It's different for everyone I guess.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #7,406 of 23,366
Quote:
I hope I was the unlucky one because I got two broken screws while taking them off, still lucky I could take them off in one piece.

I think each side has a single screw with a slightly bigger hex. If I recall correctly, I had to go from 1.5mm to a 2mm hex when undoing the shields on my friend's LP. The allen wrench they gave you, are both ends the same size?

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #7,407 of 23,366
Quote:
Whoa dude what was the audio quality of ur Hendrix... I got some 192kbs mp3 and the Dt 880s are well KILLING all of Hendrix magic [due to the poor quality of the data not Hednrixs music]

I'll say that Satidum Arcadium Lossless [RHCP] sounds nice on a Mid and Trebele forward can, cans like that really bring out the magic in Frushatne's guitar! 

It was 320kbps mp3, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy Hendrix even more with the M-100 
biggrin.gif
 I used to have all my songs in wav, but due that I was moving from Brasil to LA and had my Seagate external HDD broken 'cause it fell from about 2 feet high and died I had to encode all to mp3 to fit in a 500GB HDD 
triportsad.gif
 I'm actually curious to try other formats, just don't want to encode my songs all over again.

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #7,409 of 23,366
Quote:
I think each side has a single screw with a slightly bigger hex. If I recall correctly, I had to go from 1.5mm to a 2mm hex when undoing the shields on my friend's LP. The allen wrench they gave you, are both ends the same size?

Honestly I really didn't check that 
confused_face.gif
 I was so exited about setting up the shiny black ones that I just got myself in a tuff time.
Quote:

Could you elaborate on this?  And, thanks for the review!

Actually when I was unscrewing them off, I hardly could hear a crack sound, was like nothing, but when I took them off I noticed that 2 of them feel apart in a half 
confused_face.gif
 like right in the middle, but with the engraved shields come some spare screws so it was all fine. 
Quote:

I just hope the bass doesn't roll of too much at 20~50Hz, I mean we know it may have a significant boost in the midbass range but how about subbass range? ^^ I do prefer slight roll-off very deep down low personally because it helps to make a punchier and tight bass but everything is relative, too much is bad and too subbass heavy is also bad. :)

Yeah yeah I'm not offended, I'm none professional in this area 
biggrin.gif
 still have a lot to learn, that's why I said I hope it can helps as a "first impression review"
And yes I do agree and assume that the DJ-PRO 3000 has over bass, has some nice features too, but definitely has lots of bass. The M100 surely sounds more well controlled even having more bass than the M80 that I put my hands in at radio shack. As long as I don't own one I decided to compare with what I have 
wink_face.gif

I'm afraid I have to tell you that the bass doesn't sound that prefect you're expecting, but who knows. So far I'm truly happy with my M100 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back