V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 7, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #7,276 of 23,366
Quote:
It was definitely a learning experience, it was like a "spiral crowd-source product development".  We've never done anything like this before, so next time we'll be able to do it better! Now you know how we feel internally when things get delayed due to quality and changes. 

Apologies for delays
apologies for shipping anxieties, please understand we are negative units from those produced vs the demands and they shipped as many as they could last Friday as we got the boom mics in.  I also am going to be perfectly honest, I did not get to personally inspect each and every unit, only about 15-20%. But I had two LA techs inspect them and I wrote as many notes as those requested by Friday.  It was quite a stressful week, I moved houses, dealt with a lot of contract issues and then go to NYC on the same day as M-100s were ready. It was the most stressful days of my life, by far.  

I learned I am only human, and I should under-promise and over-deliver even better.

Sometimes I get anxiety to check the forums as I care TOO much about each and every person's opinion!  I know I won't be able to please every person, every time, but if we can get the majority of the time we are good.

It is quite a big responsibility to make everyone happy and although it is exhilarating, it can be nerve-wrecking too.

Cheers!

Val, Thank you for all you have put into this project.  I hope that you didn't take any of my posts as criticism as I spent many years as an engineer in consumer product manufacturing and know all too well what a stressful and fluid environment it is.

Enjoy your time off, you have definitely earned it.  Hell, last major product release I was involved in drove me to quit my job.  28 hour "work days" and 100 hour work weeks can kill a man, but that's what the public sometimes demands.

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #7,277 of 23,366
Val-- First, I LOVE the saying "V the people," or even "V-Moda is of the people," as the deli owner said. Second, I am a big Mitch Hedberg fan. Kudos on the apropos quote. And last, thanks. I've said it before, and I'll say it again now: I have followed the M-100 since its first whispered rumor on these internets some 12 months ago, and I am stoked they're almost on their way. I haven't yet seen my order status changed to 'shipped,' but I am not worried. I ordered the Matte finish like the kind displayed by Jude in his unboxing set. I am sure I'll love them. I loved my M-80s, but wanted a circumaural design. Voilà! M-100 to the rescue. I think you've done a great job handling the production process.

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #7,278 of 23,366
Quote:
  It was quite a stressful week, I moved houses, dealt with a lot of contract issues and then went to NYC on the same day as M-100s were ready. It has been the most stressful and busy days of my life, by a million miles.  

Moving is one of the most stressful events in life. Take care mate.

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #7,279 of 23,366
Val-- First, I LOVE the saying "V the people," or even "V-Moda is of the people," as the deli owner said. Second, I am a big Mitch Hedberg fan. Kudos on the apropos quote. And last, thanks. I've said it before, and I'll say it again now: I have followed the M-100 since its first whispered rumor on these internets some 12 months ago, and I am stoked they're almost on their way. I haven't yet seen my order status changed to 'shipped,' but I am not worried. I ordered the Matte finish like the kind displayed by Jude in his unboxing set. I am sure I'll love them. I loved my M-80s, but wanted a circumaural design. Voilà! M-100 to the rescue. I think you've done a great job handling the production process.

X2 on all counts including Mitch Hedberg.

And I kinda take pride in the fact you got "V The People" from a deli owner from NY, being born and bred in NY myself working in my family-owned business (Mohan's Custom Tailors, in case you're interested in getting custom made suits :wink: ). Very New York indeed :) I am definitely that person from Queens rockin' my V-MODAs, that's for sure.

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #7,281 of 23,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm in Tokyo to finish a new VAMP, I'll catch up soon and I am meeting w Anakchan tonight for dinner. . . . apologies for shipping anxieties, please understand we are negative units from those produced vs the demands and they shipped as many as they could last Friday as we got the boom mics in.

I'm surprised no one has commented on the boom mic.  It seems to be a definite extra like the shareplay cable, and the non-solo gamers among us ought to be rejoicing.  You're not going to see extras like that with a Sennheiser or Sony circumnaural marketed to urban auds.

(And what's that about dinner with AnakChan?)

§§§§§§§§

I for Juan love the photos of Jude's unboxing.  The orange accents created by the cables, and the heavily grain-diffused shine of the black hardware, create precisely the effect I pictured. They throw that murderbox-minimal shape I hoped they would:

(Murderbox)                                   (M100)

§§§§§§​

Quote:
Sometimes I get anxiety to check the forums as I care TOO much about each and every person's opinion!  I know I won't be able to please every person, every time, but if we can get the majority of the time we are good. . . . After a few more verdicts are in, I'll press the green button to make the second round.  There are only about 200 total units in the wild and they are harder to find than the fountain of youth.

I'm not going to ask a CEO about the status of my order, let alone individual parts in my order -- especially when said CEO is traveling through entirely different countries than the site of operations'. People asking about their brushed metal shields might want to call customer service in L.A.

Having to wait for the next shipment date doesn't mean that certain people on this thread were left out.  It means that V-Moda were and are being careful to include everyone.  Amazingly, they want us all to have the same basic extras and options -- even the extras that hadn't been spelled out.  Most companies would have simply cut off the second hundred people who ordered, but that didn't happen to us.

Increased possibility of delays and other variables are reasons you don't normally see companies catering publicly to individuals on this scale -- not on the fly and not subject to customers' manufacturing requests. 

Something for people to remember if they want these kinds of customizations and extras next time, whether the company's V-Moda or Audeze: 

No one wants to go through the added pain of offering a preorder with extras if customers are going to be more impatient and less appreciative than if they'd chosen to buy stock headphones offered on the market two months later.

Studio musicians are acutely aware of this, because session guys who act annoyed or demanding aren't usually asked back unless they're as successful as the artists with whom they're playing. Even then, I've heard producers say never again.  And if musicians prove difficult but are still used again for practical reasons, then the terms of the arrangement often become less juicy.

Mr. Kolton approached this entire project like a perfectionist, asking for input from his customer base personally and actually following their advice.  Isn't that what hobbyists on Head-fi usually like best?

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #7,283 of 23,366
I personally hope that Val doesn't take it personally and just takes it as a notion of how badly my peers (I'm unabashed of my conduct) want his products.

On the other hand, it's the natural consequence of Val taking up the role of Pavlov for the last bunch of months. At some point, you've got to feed the dogs.

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #7,285 of 23,366
I really appreciate all the hard work! I'll be in Tokyo in a few weeks, looks like we'll just miss each other.

Although, before revolver comes out, I'd like to see a sexy ass headphone stand for my new M-100s. At the moment my keyboard stand probably won't cut it.
EDIT: Oh, and have a great break, you deserve it.

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #7,286 of 23,366
Quote:

Although, before revolver comes out, I'd like to see a sexy ass headphone stand for my new M-100s. At the moment my keyboard stand probably won't cut it.

I'd buy the heck out of those 2 things. I'm using my long lamp as a headphone stand right now. Not bad, but not that appealing to the eye.

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #7,288 of 23,366
Quote:
Has the M-100 been sent to any purchaser that can be more neutral towards their review? Or are the pre-orders it?

Tyll has been sent his copy, and I believe other sites have as well. Anakchan is also going to be neutral in his review. I pre-ordered mine, but I do not plan on being a fanatic. If I like 'em, I'll say so, but if I am disapointed, then I will be sure to mention why, and get a refund.

I love the way Val runs his business, but I have no reason to be a fan of the sound until I hear it.

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #7,289 of 23,366
"So if someones headphones are yet to be shipped after tomorrow (monday 10-8), how long will it take?"

^ this. I'm not complaining, and I'm not upset that my pair hasn't been shipped  yet.
Just curious for a rough time estimate
smile.gif

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #7,290 of 23,366
Quote:
Tyll has been sent his copy, and I believe other sites have as well. Anakchan is also going to be neutral in his review. I pre-ordered mine, but I do not plan on being a fanatic. If I like 'em, I'll say so, but if I am disapointed, then I will be sure to mention why, and get a refund.

I love the way Val runs his business, but I have no reason to be a fan of the sound until I hear it.

I like Anakchan's reviews, his photos, and his positive comments. That's why many companies like him too. I like V-MODA too. I'm sure Anakchan likes Val too since they are having dinner together. They will probably go dutch I'm guessing, and talk about nothing else but the M-100. 

In the same way Anakchan is going to be neutral, I don't think BRS, you can be neutral unless you share a meal with Val, and get an early release. Neutral to me is neutral. There's no more or less neutral positions.

Oh, Anakchan's review probably won't be released before the dinner with Val due to his busy schedule. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back