V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 4, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #7,098 of 23,366
Quote:
Is this basically a circumaural version of the M/V80?

Essentially. They are also speculated to have a deeper bass extension (while losing some of the bloat), and a higher treble extension as well. Also of note is the impressive soundstage for a closed can (so says the quote on the official packaging).

Tune into this thread --> http://www.head-fi.org/t/623154/v-moda-m-100-vtf-100-appreciation-thread-images-impressions-reviews/240 <-- for Anakchan's eventual review on them.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #7,099 of 23,366
Quote:

At this point, only AnakChan and Mr. Kolton can say whether the sound is truly that similar, but the architecture of the two models does seem to be close.

However, Mr. Kolton's ostensible improvements suggest there will be a difference in sound, even though the aesthetic and approach appear to be the same. 

On paper, the M100 pursues the same sonic aesthetic as the M80, but with more bass emphasis and extension (due partly to the larger drivers) and treble sparkle. Long ago, Mr. Kolton mentioned the M100 would sound markedly better amped than the M80 (though I happen to think the M80 does benefit). 

That, too, might be a distinct upgrade for someone who intends to use their M100s in quiet environments.

It will be interesting to hear what treble emphasis means -- whether it's a question of tuning, different drivers and/or the way in which the design intentionally affects the sound.

V-Moda's mission has always been to soften highs for the sake of professional DJs' (and ordinary commuters') hearing. 

At some point, I expect him to release a headphone made specifically for home use, and I'll be very curious about their signature, FR and emphasis.  By rights, they'd have to be brighter than their predecessors, no?

Quote:

In a fairly short time, a number of people on this thread will be able to answer you.

Until then, all we can do is have fun guessing.

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #7,100 of 23,366
The looks of the V-Moda headphones are a big draw for me... But who would want a fashion headphone for use primarily at home? 

I guess I need something to compliment my purple silk boxers.

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #7,101 of 23,366
Quote:
Not having the greatest of nights plus the headband pad fell off my Ultrasone HFI-2400's.
frown.gif
  Some Nightwish through the HD-555's is helping me fix the mood but I can't wait to listen to Imaginaerum on the M-100.  (Yes, feeble attempt to remain on topic I know, I'm sorry.  May have had one too many beers tonight).

bigsmile_face.gif
 I thought I was the only person who was excited to get the M-100s to play some nightwish. In fact I believe Imaginaerum will probably be the first album I listen to on them. Can't wait to finally have some over-ears to really listen to my music while on my commute over the in-ears I currently have now.

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #7,102 of 23,366
Quote:
The looks of the V-Moda headphones are a big draw for me... But who would want a fashion headphone for use primarily at home? 

I guess I need something to compliment my purple silk boxers.

The draw would be that you could also use them at home:  Full-sized headphones that are swell-looking in public and sweet-sounding in private; safe on the subway and engaging in the office.  You don't want to be disappointed with the sound of your 'phones once you reach your destination.

One goal of V-Modas designed for the living room might be to try new things with their emphasis on looks.  They might go beyond public fashion and arrive at secret pleasure -- something to gaze at and covet even when we're by ourselves. 

We like looking at beautiful things when we're in our homes.  A pair of headphones, too, can be designed to scratch that itch niche.

Oct 5, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #7,103 of 23,366
Hey Scrypt, a tad off-topic, but have you ever considered making a post occasionally in Verse? I remember you saying that you have quite a background in writing and would find it fascinating if you did.

It would also tickle my fancy, being a theatre graduate.

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #7,105 of 23,366
Quote:
but I can't wait to listen to Imaginaerum on the M-100.  (Yes, feeble attempt to remain on topic I know, I'm sorry.  May have had one too many beers tonight).

Me too! I've been listening to Nightwish on my M-80 but now I can't wait to try out the M-100. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #7,106 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey Scrypt, a tad off-topic, but have you ever considered making a post occasionally in Verse? I remember you saying that you have quite a background in writing and would find it fascinating if you did.

It would also tickle my fancy, being a theatre graduate.

Theater grad, are you?  We should lower-jaw about that (unless you'd rather not think about the Amy Herzog play you have to subject your instrument to on BBC Radio-3 next Saturday).

It sounds as though you're asking about rhymed verse specifically.

Re my posting verses as actual responses on Head-fi:

Thanks very much for the support.

However, I'm not sure I want to invite more scrutiny than I already have. 

One reason I've posted tons on the M100 thread is because the people here are usually kind to one another. There's surprisingly little flexing, snarking or ill will.

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #7,107 of 23,366
I'm probably also one of the few which would purchase M100 only to be used on my room at my computer and it would never leave the room most likely unless moving somewhere else. :p

While nice looking isn't a bad thing at all, I'm interested in M100 for the sound primarily, not the build quality or looks. I prefer also a bit of a bass bump also in a perfectly quiet environment but nothing like XB series kind of quantity but slightly north of that of M80 or M50 as an example so M100 should be pretty perfect as long as the mids stays reasonably forward and not recessed. However soundstage is on the top of my list in what I'd appriciate to get an improvement in versus Q40 so soundstage is something I'm particularly interested in how M100 fares there, also an improved transparency would be cool, otherwise I must say Q40 do satisfy me greatly still.

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #7,108 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm probably also one of the few which would purchase M100 only to be used on my room at my computer and it would never leave the room most likely unless moving somewhere else. :p

While nice looking isn't a bad thing at all, I'm interested in M100 for the sound primarily, not the build quality or looks. I prefer also a bit of a bass bump also in a perfectly quiet environment but nothing like XB series kind of quantity but slightly north of that of M80 or M50 as an example so M100 should be pretty perfect as long as the mids stays reasonably forward and not recessed. However soundstage is on the top of my list in what I'd appriciate to get an improvement in versus Q40 so soundstage is something I'm particularly interested in how M100 fares there, also an improved transparency would be cool, otherwise I must say Q40 do satisfy me greatly still.

We seem to be on the same page. Wider soundstage and a bit of a bump in the bassregion but still have the sound sig of the M80's, then I'll be happy as a clam. :)

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #7,109 of 23,366
Hey Val, any updates on the ETA of the boom mics and the expected ship date for pre-orders? I'm sure that everyone shares my excitement for the headphones, but I'm also really hoping that the faders get in before next weekend as well. Going to see Avicii and could really use some pro-longed ear protection (that doesn't cut down on sound quality). :)

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #7,110 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey Val, any updates on the ETA of the boom mics and the expected ship date for pre-orders? I'm sure that everyone shares my excitement for the headphones, but I'm also really hoping that the faders get in before next weekend as well. Going to see Avicii and could really use some pro-longed ear protection (that doesn't cut down on sound quality). :)

Yeah, I am getting nervous now -- I have a big work trip coming up and it is starting to look like they aren't going to be in in time.  Ugh, another 30 hours in planes/airports without good headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back