V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Sep 16, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #6,361 of 23,366
Quote:

Let's not ever forget that we can equalize for slight preferences, different environments, sources, genres or even the mastering of songs.  But, I haven't had to equalize M-100, personally after extensive use.

For sure, I used to do that with every headphone I've had previously and did it very precisely for every headphone until M-Audio Q40 which have roughly or close enough to my ideal FR balance that EQing isn't worth it unless I'd buy a proper hardware EQ for say $250 or so but I don't feel it would be worth it for a 10-15% or whatever gain in sound quality.

Q40 measures like this according to goldenears site:

So hoping M100 has somewhat similar, I wouldn't say no to slightly more forward lower-midrange (~3dB) as well as better extension in the very upper-end though. Don't mind the 9kHz peak, I did some slight modding & burn-in helped and I can't honestly hear any peak there anymore which I was definitely able to tell when I first listened to them out of box, I don't like peaks like that and I'm glad V-Moda doesn't either. :)

Anyway soundstage is what I'm most interested in hearing an improvement, I tested for example the very underrated Denon HP-700 DJ headphones which is on-ear and comfort is far less than ideal but the soundstage was really nice for a closed/semi-closed headphone but it lacked in subbass extension for my needs, would be nice if M100 would have similar soundstage though.

Sep 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #6,362 of 23,366
Quote:
...I haven't had to equalize M-100, personally after extensive use.

That's reassuring. 
popcorn.gif

Thanks, as always, for chiming in!

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #6,363 of 23,366
Quote:
I have a gut feeling M-100 and Momentum will have similar mids and highs, but the M-100 will trounce Momentum with bass that is tighter, punchier and deeper into the sub bass region.  It sounds like they will also be the clear winner regarding soundstage.

I'd be amazed if the M100s' soundstage weren't more pronounced than the Momenti's.  Nor would I be surprised if more bass meant something different to Sennheiser's Apple consumer division than it does to V-Moda. 

I wouldn't consider buying headphones even remotely related to the HD25s if soundstage were my main concern. 

For me, it's the opposite -- I don't want to be reminded of bad mix sessions with reverb drowning instruments like kittens.  The LPs did that, but it's clear V-Moda's sonic aesthetic has widened a lot since then.

I'm hoping for headphones that sound excellent in train stations and airports but don't disappoint at home or at work.  Notching the bass and rolling off the highs ever so slightly is a delicate thing -- especially in designing hardware and tuning speakers. Doing it correctly is the difference between superb and soup-herb.

The LPs were made for live DJ performances in the sense that DJs have to be able to hear what they need from the cue mix over the roar of powerful speakers. Try catching the timing of an intro and matching it without drums under those conditions.  Try hearing a different bass line over an overwhelming amplified bass.  Even live instrumentalists and vocalists don't normally have needs that specific -- that's usually where the engineer comes in. 

That was a very specialized purpose for the LPs and a lot of reviewers and consumers didn't understand it.  I don't think people have anything to worry about re the M-100s, which were designed to include a wider audience.  This time, it sounds as if Mr. Kolton wanted to notch that sweet spot between emphasis and overkill -- and do it under the best listening conditions. 

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #6,364 of 23,366
Quote:

That was a very specialized purpose for the LPs and a lot of reviewers and consumers didn't understand it.  I don't think people have anything to worry about re the M-100s, which were designed to include a wider audience.  This time, it sounds as if Mr. Kolton wanted to notch that sweet spot between emphasis and overkill -- and do it under the best listening conditions. 

Yea I admit I wasn't too forgiving about LP2's targeted consumer crowd, the LPs are probably loved by DJs cuz they have big bass and rolled-off highs which is good for DJs @ live events as the listening environment is quite loud and so is the vol levels to be able to hear everything and then it's not nice with loud highs. 

I'm a low as possible volume level listener, I always use a specific max vol level that is the lowest possible that gives me "full" satisfaction at which I never usually cross, no wonder I didn't like the LP2s cuz of the seriously rolled-off highs, they need to be listened to at loud to appriciate probably.

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #6,365 of 23,366
While we're all waiting for the shipment news I brought a really funny article for everyone...
Making it short, hope someone enjoy reading it 
beyersmile.png

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2012/07/21-of-the-funniest-auto-corrects-that-involve-private-parts.html

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #6,366 of 23,366
Quote:
While we're all waiting for the shipment news I brought a really funny article for everyone...
Making it short, hope someone enjoy reading it 
beyersmile.png

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2012/07/21-of-the-funniest-auto-corrects-that-involve-private-parts.html

Moral of the story, always double check your messages before sending them when using a smartphone with auto correct

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #6,370 of 23,366
Val, did you try out the M-100 with the VAMP? The VAMP did improve the M-80 in some way, but not much, because M-80 is already a highly sensitive headphone that can be driven by practically anything, so not much scalability there. Does M-100 have a higher scalability than the M-80, so that it has a larger room for improvement with a proper amp?

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #6,371 of 23,366
Quote:
Val, did you try out the M-100 with the VAMP? The VAMP did improve the M-80 in some way, but not much, because M-80 is already a highly sensitive headphone that can be driven by practically anything, so not much scalability there. Does M-100 have a higher scalability than the M-80, so that it has a larger room for improvement with a proper amp?

I'm curious about this as well.  I think it was quite a few months ago (so might have changed in the meantime) that Val said something about the M100 possibly only surpassing the M80 when amped, due to the larger drivers.  

Btw I'm enjoying my Leckerton amp with my phone and my M80s at the moment, and do sense an improvement, albeit subtle (or possibly imagined, who knows).

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #6,372 of 23,366
Quote:
Gah, give me the reviews. I can't stand the wait!

The best post I could read this week isn't a detailed review on M-100 (although I very much look forward to reviews).  It would be a post from Val letting us know the M-100 is shipping and that I will have one less day of listening to my current mediocre headphones.  I have been buying and returning headphones for the past few months, trying to find something to hold me over until the M-100 comes out.  So far nothing has lived up to expectations and I have racked up enough return shipping and restocking charges to have purchased and kept a nice pair, but nothing has met the expectation I have of the M-100, particularly after Mr. Guttenberg's initial review.  I am only tempted to pick up Momentum because I can have it by Wednesday.  However, I have learned my lesson and am waiting for the real deal, actual M-100 in white to arrive at my doorstep.

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #6,373 of 23,366
Quote:
The best post I could read this week isn't a detailed review on M-100.  It would be a post from Val letting us know the M-100 is shipping and that I will have one less day of listening to my current mediocre headphones.

Yes, of course, I just tried to not get my hopes up too high, haha.

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #6,374 of 23,366
Quote:

I'm curious about this as well.  I think it was quite a few months ago (so might have changed in the meantime) that Val said something about the M100 possibly only surpassing the M80 when amped, due to the larger drivers. 

That was centuries ago, when the M100s were still being planned.   I remember thinking the amped difference alone wasn't enough reason for me to buy them, since I already owned the M80s.

Wouldn't you like to know how much has or hasn't changed since then?  Perhaps we need a late '90s-style "DVD-ready" short on the making of the M100s.

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #6,375 of 23,366
SONIC BOOM

the first production M-100 was pre-viewed and I didn't even listen to it myself as it arrived by UPS only a few moments before my meeting with CNET's Audiophiliac.  As a massive control freak, this says a lot about the trust I have in my all-star team of employees I have assembled and especially our QC processes.  However, this is a one-time event and I'll naturally go back to my fighter jet controls to fight alongside my fellow stealth-fighter wingmen.

TRUST ME, Read this article!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57513114-47/first-listen-v-moda-crossfade-m-100-headphones/

Lol Val, somebody else beat you to posting the link... V-MODA is viral! And I mean that in the popular-culture-undercurrent sense, without even noticing it was another V-word till I typed it XD

The first impression review does sound quite promising, yeah? Val, how are you celebrating the shipping release?

SONIC BOOM!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back