V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 23, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #5,416 of 23,366
Quote:
Maybe V-Moda should make a headset version for M100 with following:

- Only 1 vent for better isolation (alternatively making it adjustable with a slider so users can go from all closed to all 3 open or just 1 or 2 holes open)
- A rather high quality mic similar to Boom-mic
- Maybe price it around 329~$339

So far no1 has managed to make a stylish headset with good sound quality, Sennheiser has undoubtly explored this market but I'd say their looks isn't quite the ideal in my eyes. To me seems like a market which is quite free from competition. It would probably be "THE headset" of choice for those who would want the best sound quality and looks and durability.

For most serious gamers isolation is a far secondary to sound stage, so I would say either your slider idea or just leave it vented as is.

If sound quality and soundstage end up meeting the expectations and there is a mic that plugs in to the second ear cup these headphones will be very very well poised to dethrone the various iterations of Sennheiser and Astros that many of the gamers use right now.

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #5,417 of 23,366
Quote:
For most serious gamers isolation is a far secondary to sound stage, so I would say either your slider idea or just leave it vented as is.

If sound quality and soundstage end up meeting the expectations and there is a mic that plugs in to the second ear cup these headphones will be very very well poised to dethrone the various iterations of Sennheiser and Astros that many of the gamers use right now.

True, soundstage and accurate imaging that is. And a black background is very useful aswell. Actually isolation can be a con, if your team is nearby maybe you want to hear what they say if they don't have a mic.

But I would not on pain of death butcher a M-100 into a gaming phone, it will haveto be separate.

And now that I think of it a slightly emphasized midrange could be useful for picking up slight rustling (movement) but it could also be detracting depending on the amount of ambient garbage the game has.

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #5,418 of 23,366
Just to be clear, soundstage, imaging and isolation are features of the headphones part of the headset, not the mic.

You sound as if you're talking about the headphones aspect, but that has been designed and produced already and it's the M100. Unless Val's talking about including a completely separate headset -- which I didn't think he was -- he seems to be asking about a microphone accessory for the VTF-100.

What qualities in a headset's microphone interest you? To gamers -- which headset microphone have you been told made you sound the clearest?  To non-gamers:  Which mic have you been told made you sound the best?

I wanted to think of examples of superior-sounding headset mics, but the ones I've used personally have all been disappointing.  If we were talking about studio microphones, I could go on all day about my favorites.

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #5,419 of 23,366
Quote:
Just to be clear, soundstage, imaging and isolation are features of the headphones part of the headset, not the mic.

You sound as if you're talking about the headphones aspect, but that has been designed and it's the VTF-100 -- unless Val's talking about including a completely separate headset, which I didn't think he was.  He seemed to be talking about a possible microphone accessory for the VTF, did he not?

What qualities in a headset's microphone interest you? To gamers -- which headset microphone have you been told made you sound the clearest?

I wanted to think of examples of superior-sounding headset mics, but the ones I've used personally have all been disappointing.

We were talking about the headset as a side conversation

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #5,420 of 23,366
Quote:
We were talking about the headset as a side conversation

Yes, and others might be interested in that side conversation as well, so have at it.  I'm not a content filter.

But it occurred to me that some people might not be used to thinking in terms of mics on a headphones site, and the thread could get lost easily, orphaning the boom mic hivemind comments. So far, no one seems to be answering Val's question pertaining to the accessory he's working on right now.

Of course, people's lack of interest could be an answer in itself.

Thing is, I am interested in the mic he's asking about.  Headset mics tend to be gimmicky and bad.  A free alternative to that would be utterly keen and boss. 

It would also earn points in consumer reviews of V-Moda gear if they marketed and/or included the accessory for mainstream use later.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #5,421 of 23,366
Quote:

hmm.. shadow w brushed and engraving is sick.  or dark red.  white silver looks great with anything, Shadow is the most challenging as it has red so you need to make sure you like red + another color.  

MMMMM....DROP

SOCIAL MEDIA HYPE MEETS OPEN SOURCE EVOLVEMENT ON A FORUM?
I am going to write a book some day called "when a hacker is all growns up"... But, I have thought about this thread and the product/software dev theories all the way from AGILE to SPIRAL, to Waterfall and even "V-MODEL" a lot lately as I think we are on to something new here that will evolve the current social/forum "hype".   

My background as a hacker/programmer 
When I was 7 years old my dad bought me a TI-99 for Xmas and my laser focus on technology began as a programmer/hacker.  I was starved to access long-distance BBS "forums" for knowledge and held back by long-distance $, so I was forced into hacking, phreaking, carding, you name it.  I wrote programs and did things that I can't discuss here, all for the sake of knowledge and downloading new development tools that cost more than a 8 year old could afford. Some of you may remember courier groups THG/INC, the name I used was "Copy Wright", "Red Alert", "Cyber Thug"... that's me.  

Long story short, professionally after college at UT Austin (I hate to brag, but  who is the #1 program in MIS?) I became an enterprise software analyst, architect and programmer building and optimizing a variety of projects including mobile GPS apps, financial analyst systems utilizing time-series databases, CMS systems specializing in community components and DB programming of Oracle and good ole SQL server... 

I started using a 300-baud modem (if I remember correct PHP1600) on a TI-99 (that used a CASSETTE recorder to record my basic programs). 

My nickname was "Chippy" and here is my first product I admired that allowed me to access the forums... I always searched for the BEST chips in the world, and of course the finest 16550 UART Serial ports back in the 80s... (buffer tech)

How does this connect to the topic?  My ideas on how to evolve this thread...  I have a concept I'll announce after I talk to Jude and the moderators... 

And then there was HST... but that is 14.4k (14.4% off) History.

When you open up many V-MODA products from our first to the current, you still see "hello world".  This is because it was the first thing I programmed with my dad at my side when I opened the box.  I was amazed. 

This is the reason I love analog so much, my first programs where all on analog tape.  No floppy disks...  I hated it, but I can never forget it.  It is odd that a computer used CASSETTE.  

and therefore, this is why my original 1.0 "VAL KOLTON" DJ logo bled tapes, yet holds "VINYL" immortal.  Can someone find my first FLIER of my FIRST GIG and guess who/where it was?  I'll give away the under-rated and under-produced Vibrato.

to be continued somewhere else...

BACK TO M-100!

Can do...

biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #5,422 of 23,366
The only one request I have of a - home use - peripheral is that it magnetically attaches to the main body, last thing I want is scuffing/bending of my headphones.

I used to have this which was pretty nifty (but it always fell out of my ear when the cable was tugged):

The mic would be great in addition to a daisy chain system. The Astro A40s had a great LAN system which combined 4 headsets into one single amp for team play, it did quite well on MLGpro.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #5,423 of 23,366
Quote:
Yeah, and Val might be interested in that conversation as well.  I'm not a content filter.

But it occurred to me that some people might not be used to thinking in terms of mics on a headphones site, and the thread could get lost easily -- right after the boom mic hivemind comments took effect. No one seems to be answering the question that pertained to the accessory he's working on right now.

I see what you're saying now --- I am not sure that the boom mic comments aren't what he was looking for though. 

Quote:
M-100 BACK ON TOPIC - SPECIAL PRODUCT WILL BE INCLUDED 

A surprise add-on accessory is going to be included in these pre-orders only.  I can't elaborate right now, but you can probably guess going forward.  What I want to know now is, what do you consider the best microphone in the world on a headset?  For gaming, communication, video recording, broadcast, singing or Skype?

I have benchmarks now but I want your input... M-100 was built for versatility. 

This question immediately points people towards boom mics because that's exactly what people use for most of these things. 

Quote:
Yeah, and Val might be interested in that conversation as well.  I'm not a content filter.

But it occurred to me that some people might not be used to thinking in terms of mics on a headphones site, and the thread could get lost easily -- right after the boom mic hivemind comments took effect. No one seems to be answering the question that pertained to the accessory he's working on right now.

Of course, people's lack of interest could be an answer in itself, but I'm interested, because headset mics tend to be gimmicky and bad and a free alternative to that would be excellent.

I hope Val doesn't take the lack of comments as a general lack of interest, because I don't think it is.  I haven't posted what I want in a microphone because I have yet to experience one that I could say -- This is the best headset microphone made. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #5,424 of 23,366
Two guilty pleasures...

I miss the sound of a 300 baud modem carrier signal... almost as much as I miss the similar but different sound of a 1200 and 14.4...

and I also miss BBS and pyroto mountain... a bit... just because of the absurdity that came from those forums...

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #5,425 of 23,366
Maybe there will be a boom mic that you can plug/unplug from the second port.
Or maybe that's what you guys are already talking about and I'm just dense this morning.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #5,426 of 23,366
Quote:
Maybe there will be a boom mic that you can plug/unplug from the second port.
Or maybe that's what you guys are already talking about and I'm just dense this morning.

If Val could accomplish this the M-100 would become essential equipment. I predominately use my M-80's at work where we typically play games at lunch time so a good quality headphone with a detachable boom mic would be a welcome addition. In fact they'd probably get carted to and from work quite a bit more as well. If I knew this was the "special product to be included" I wouldn't hesitate to put in a pre-order this very moment.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #5,427 of 23,366
Val,

1. A microphone of any type, so long as it works well (i.e. has some sort of noise reduction filter) will be greatly appreciated. I would certainly use it on a regular basis. Unlike some of the others, I don't mind a boom mike. I would only use it indoors, but we will already be getting the standard mic'd cable for other uses.

2. I would also like so see you design and release a plug in bluetooth module (with a built-in mic). It would need to be designed to look nondescript when plugged in to the m-100 and of course it would need to have apt-x for better quality sound. Not sure if you're interested is such a device, but I would be your first customer. I'm not a fan of cables on the bus and the metro (unfortunately, I don't have a good wireless option at the moment so I make do).

v/r,
Adrian

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #5,428 of 23,366
Is it possible to preorder the headphones and then send in your design and get the customshields afterwards? 
Because I'm not sure on what design I want and on what color but I don't want to miss out on preordering.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #5,429 of 23,366
Quote:
Is it possible to preorder the headphones and then send in your design and get the customshields afterwards? 
Because I'm not sure on what design I want and on what color but I don't want to miss out on preordering.

Yes it is possible. Just put in your order, check "yes" for your design, but don't submit art. Later on, when you have a design, send it into them with their web-form - include the art and your order number in the message, and explain that the attachment is the art you want to use.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #5,430 of 23,366
Quote:
Yes it is possible. Just put in your order, check "yes" for your design, but don't submit art. Later on, when you have a design, send it into them with their web-form - include the art and your order number in the message, and explain that the attachment is the art you want to use.

Thanks for this info! I've been wanting to preorder, but with not a solid design in hand I have hesitated to do so. I think I'll jus go ahead and order and try to get them the design as quickly as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back