V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 23, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #5,401 of 23,366
Quote:
M-100 BACK ON TOPIC - SPECIAL PRODUCT WILL BE INCLUDED 

A surprise add-on accessory is going to be included in these pre-orders only.  I can't elaborate right now, but you can probably guess going forward.  What I want to know now is, what do you consider the best microphone in the world on a headset?  For gaming, communication, video recording, broadcast, singing or Skype?

I have benchmarks now but I want your input... M-100 was built for versatility. 

I'll take a shot at guessing :) Since you mentioned a microphone and activities that you would generally do on a computer, could it be..... the VOIP cable adapter?

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #5,404 of 23,366
Quote:

hmm.. shadow w brushed and engraving is sick.  or dark red.  white silver looks great with anything, Shadow is the most challenging as it has red so you need to make sure you like red + another color.  

Not wanting to be a stalker....but I did stumble upon your facebook page and saw the profile picture with some headphone on (I suppose M100s? But that doesn't really matter XD). Are the shields on that one bright red, or crimson? I like the color.

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #5,405 of 23,366
Quote:

and therefore, this is why my original 1.0 "VAL KOLTON" DJ logo bled tapes, yet holds "VINYL" immortal.  Can someone find my first FLIER of my FIRST GIG and guess who/where it was?  I'll give away the under-rated and under-produced Vibrato.

Actually, I think it was at People Club in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on Dec 13, 2008 with Paul Oakenfold and hosted by Dean May

http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/44/c577bc8c1d4e44d08fcecef810b7e4c4/l.jpg

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #5,406 of 23,366
Quote:
Val I was looking at these two pictures of the hinge design and wondering what happened or why this particular part seems to have changed a bit from one version to the next?

PHOTOSHOP IS NECESSARY PRE-LAUNCH.  These are teasers!
Quote:
Not wanting to be a stalker....but I did stumble upon your facebook page and saw the profile picture with some headphone on (I suppose M100s? But that doesn't really matter XD). Are the shields on that one bright red, or crimson? I like the color.

All my final M-100s are stock colors w no customizations yet as we don't have many and I need to test them "OOTB".
Quote:
Maybe a re-designed hinge? I know having those bends in the steel will make it stiffer, and stop flexing.

Like the Hanzo sword on top of our product showcase at HQ, we aim to have the finest steel.  The flexibility and QC tests are unparalleled in the industry, we know first-hand as no manufactures would work with me until we made an extreme exception.  

However, save the extreme flexes for extreme situations to keep your fit consistency over time.    

Quote:

Bone conduction mic :wink:. Take it to the next level where Invisio stopped.

Edit: Parrot Zik's bone conduction didn't really work to my expectations.

nc
Quote:
For gaming, definitely a boom mic.  Basically, while in front of a computer, a boom mic is the best and most convenient for everything. :p

But not so much when outside!  That would make you look like a bit of a tool, walking around talking into a boom mic. :p

Still though, for using with a computer, one of the more important things (at least for me) is noise cancellation, so it won't pick up the sound of typing.  Actual sound quality is secondary to that (since most microphones these days are at least good enough for speaking into).

But as far as a one-size-fits-all sort of thing?  That speakeasy mic does look nice, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet...

try... let me know your results
Quote:
Definitely an add-on Boom Mic would be awesome...I'd definitely purchase a pair if it was an accessory.  I'm still on the fence with these things because I love my M80s so much.  Hmmm.  310 just seems too high at this point when I already have some GR07 IEMs, two pairs of M80s and some LP2s.  Overkill?  Or obsession?  I just dropped 2500 on a new Retina MBP so, little tight on disposable income ATM...hopefully once the final versions are set in stone I'll be able to get in on a pair and maybe sell a few of my other pairs.  Or I'll pre-order a pair tomorrow.  Either or.  :)

Retina display or sound, which adds more enjoyment to your life daily?  Lets divide sound over two years including a HQ amp.  VAMP + M-100 = $1.33/day, less than Starbucks or ___

Quot:
http://cdn.head-fi.org/0/07/071f4a46_534_36432161027_679331027_1138040_7024_n.jpeg

At Pacha in Sao Paulo Brazil w Oakenfold after Madonna performed in the dome.

Yup
Quote:
Boom mic all the way :)

Like the idea 

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #5,408 of 23,366
Quote:

A surprise add-on accessory is going to be included in these pre-orders only.  I can't elaborate right now, but you can probably guess going forward.  What I want to know now is, what do you consider the best microphone in the world on a headset?  For gaming, communication, video recording, broadcast, singing or Skype?

seems like Oovoo is the new Skype, so something that will work well with that

LOL that you responded to my post and good to learn more about you as well as have new info to build on and jumpstart the forum again!

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #5,409 of 23,366
Quote:

PHOTOSHOP IS NECESSARY PRE-LAUNCH.  These are teasers!

I'm guessing that the VTF pic more closely resembles what the final hinge will look like then?

Like the Hanzo sword on top of our product showcase at HQ, we aim to have the finest steel.  The flexibility and QC tests are unparalleled in the industry, we know first-hand as no manufactures would work with me until we made an extreme exception.  

Kill Bill huh?....great movie. Love Tarantino movies.

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #5,411 of 23,366
Maybe V-Moda should make a headset version for M100 with following:

- Only 1 vent for better isolation (alternatively making it adjustable with a slider so users can go from all closed to all 3 open or just 1 or 2 holes open)
- A rather high quality mic similar to Boom-mic
- Maybe price it around 329~$339

So far no1 has managed to make a stylish headset with good sound quality, Sennheiser has undoubtly explored this market but I'd say their looks isn't quite the ideal in my eyes. To me seems like a market which is quite free from competition. It would probably be "THE headset" of choice for those who would want the best sound quality and looks and durability.

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #5,412 of 23,366
Quote:

SOCIAL MEDIA HYPE MEETS OPEN SOURCE EVOLVEMENT ON A FORUM?
I am going to write a book some day called "when a hacker is all growns up"... But, I have thought about this thread and the product/software dev theories all the way from AGILE to SPIRAL, to Waterfall and even "V-MODEL" a lot lately as I think we are on to something new here that will evolve the current social/forum "hype".   

My background as a hacker/programmer 
When I was 7 years old my dad bought me a TI-99 for Xmas and my laser focus on technology began as a programmer/hacker.  I was starved to access long-distance BBS "forums" for knowledge and held back by long-distance $, so I was forced into hacking, phreaking, carding, you name it.  I wrote programs and did things that I can't discuss here, all for the sake of knowledge and downloading new development tools that cost more than a 8 year old could afford. Some of you may remember courier groups THG/INC, the name I used was "Copy Wright", "Red Alert", "Cyber Thug"... that's me.  

Long story short, professionally after college at UT Austin (I hate to brag, but  who is the #1 program in MIS?) I became an enterprise software analyst, architect and programmer building and optimizing a variety of projects including mobile GPS apps, financial analyst systems utilizing time-series databases, CMS systems specializing in community components and DB programming of Oracle and good ole SQL server... 

I started using a 300-baud modem (if I remember correct PHP1600) on a TI-99 (that used a CASSETTE recorder to record my basic programs). 

My nickname was "Chippy" and here is my first product I admired that allowed me to access the forums... I always searched for the BEST chips in the world, and of course the finest 16550 UART Serial ports back in the 80s... (buffer tech)

How does this connect to the topic?  My ideas on how to evolve this thread...  I have a concept I'll announce after I talk to Jude and the moderators... 

And then there was HST... but that is 14.4k (14.4% off) History.

When you open up many V-MODA products from our first to the current, you still see "hello world".  This is because it was the first thing I programmed with my dad at my side when I opened the box.  I was amazed. 

This is the reason I love analog so much, my first programs where all on analog tape.  No floppy disks...  I hated it, but I can never forget it.  It is odd that a computer used CASSETTE.  

and therefore, this is why my original 1.0 "VAL KOLTON" DJ logo bled tapes, yet holds "VINYL" immortal.  Can someone find my first FLIER of my FIRST GIG and guess who/where it was?  I'll give away the under-rated and under-produced Vibrato.

to be continued somewhere else...

This post read like a foreword.  Onward to publishing! 
popcorn.gif

EDIT:
I did a bit of reading on the Faders last night since I was, quite frankly, wholly ignorant to their function.  A nice juxtaposition of utility and visual appeal... an intelligently realized product.  I think it's realistic to anticipate these by October, so I'm looking forward to putting them through their paces at an upcoming Godspeed You!... show.  Any loss of detail should be apparent.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #5,415 of 23,366
Quote:

Val:

Is the mic you're talking about implementing bluetooth, attachable to/an integrated part of the headphones, or part of the audio cable?  Do you really want to create a gaming-specific mic or are you continuing with the smartphone-first idea?

My answer's contingent on the idea you're asking about superior-sounding smartphone headsets.

On the topic of headsets and mics:

V-Modas can be versatile, but they tend to foreground mobile use at least as much as home/work audio rigs, with full-sized gaming consoles largely a tangential concern. 

The problem with a boom mic attached to headphones for a mobile device is that it can easily look ridiculous in public. You want a street mic to be inconspicuous, not make you resemble a TV reporter in a 90s action flick.  If the designer's not extremely careful (and even if they are), boom mics can look phallic in the non-sexual Insane Clown Posse sense.

In my opinion, whatever mic design you choose should look integrated and unobtrusive.

Features I'd love in a phone (not gaming) mic:  (1) Excellent directional and local signal focus, (2) notch 3 kHz-10 kHz +1db for brightness to emphasize the most cutting and airy features of the voice (sibilance is probably unavoidable, though a mic with an airy treble emphasis that somehow *wasn't* sibilant would be heavenly), (3) have some sort of wind filter (we're not in a recording studio where you can bend a coat hanger and stretch a nylon stocking across it) and (4) LPF that doesn't make you sound like a wordy chinchilla.

I'm not averse to gaming.  I'm questioning the idea of a headphone that looks good in public having accessories that only make sense for home use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back