V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 21, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #5,222 of 23,366
Quote:
There are many high priced headphones with bad sound. There are many companies that just make money on the fans. And there are many examples of degraded product lines. I fear that sound of m100 will be closer to crossfade lp2 and not m80.

All indications are that the sound signature will more closely resemble a bigger and better M-80 than LP2.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #5,223 of 23,366
There are many high priced headphones with bad sound. There are many companies that just make money on the fans. And there are many examples of degraded product lines. I fear that sound of m100 will be closer to crossfade lp2 and not m80.

Reasonable enough, sometimes companies can only achieve a side grade instead of an upgrade. Sometimes they put too many spices in the soup and just muck the whole thing up (looking at you, Microsoft).

In this case however, we've got a few things going for us. First, V-MODA is an up-and-coming company trying to build a name for itself, and the big boss Val Kolton himself frequently pops into the community to answer questions and ask for our input. Second, V-MODA knows how to make headphones: they made the Crossfade LP line for DJs, and the crossfade M-80 & M-100 are part of the "Modophile" line targeted mainly at enthusiasts. Most tellingly, two head-fi'ers have actually reported their feelings after hearing preproduction M-100s at a headphone meet, with one going into detail about his impressions and expressing his excitement of the improvement of an even earlier prototype. One person was kind enough to post a table of contents for the development buzz on the first page of this thread.

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #5,226 of 23,366
Well I guess I'm late to the 'Hey, this is what I'll be testing the M-100's with first' party, but here's my entry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx-lH-ULjPE

But I'll be listening to the entire 'The Private Press' album, really. One of my favorites of all time.

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #5,228 of 23,366
Quote:

^WINNER...

beerchug.gif

What do I win? :p

(and to those who were confused, yes, I was talking about the ports where the cables plug into)

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #5,229 of 23,366
Quote:
ANYWAY - to answer your question, yes, there are connectors on both sides of the headphone, but you only need one cable - I am assuming that plugging in another headphone to the m-100's will 'daisy-chain' them together, meaning multiple people can listen at once.

I don't ever recall reading/seeing/hearing about the M-100 having 2 headphone jacks on both earcups. I do recall, posting in one of my summary posts, that one of the cables will include a headphone splitter, and has been confirmed on the V-MODA website under "VTF-100":

Quote:
  1. 2 Kevlar® reinforced SpeakEasy cables passes 1 Million flex cycles
    1. 1-Button designed for Android, Windows and Blackberry devices
    2. Universally compatible SharePlay plug to share the best music moments with friends and family

None of the recent photos that have been released so far show a second input jack on the right earcup.

^you can't see the input jacks in this Head-Fi exclusive photo

^you can't confirm that the right earcup has an input jack because of the quality of the photo itself

EDIT: So if the earcups have an input jack on both sides, what's the point of a headphone splitter cable? Are 3 people planning to listen to your music then? o.0

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #5,230 of 23,366
Quote:
I don't ever recall reading/seeing/hearing about the M-100 having 2 headphone jacks on both earcups. I do recall, posting in one of my summary posts, that one of the cables will include a headphone splitter, and has been confirmed on the V-MODA website under "VTF-100":

None of the recent photos that have been released so far show a second input jack on the right earcup.

^you can't see the input jacks in this Head-Fi exclusive photo

^you can't confirm that the right earcup has an input jack because of the quality of the photo itself

I specifically remember Val saying there will be a cable entry on each cup - I can't find his post, but I'm sure of it. 

Plus, in the second picture you have there, you can see the piece sticking out on the far cup there. How else would both of them be able to stand without other support?

Once again - either way we'll need to wait. Either until Val confirms something, or until we have them in out hands.

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #5,231 of 23,366
Quote:
I specifically remember Val saying there will be a cable entry on each cup - I can't find his post, but I'm sure of it. 

Plus, in the second picture you have there, you can see the piece sticking out on the far cup there. How else would both of them be able to stand without other support?

Once again - either way we'll need to wait. Either until Val confirms something, or until we have them in out hands.

Yeah you're right. It was speculation before I joined the thread:

Quote:
Maybe it's too complex, but you could have single-entry points on both cups. Then people who want dual entry could rig (or have rigged up) a cable that respectively only uses the necessary contact points on the plugs for each side. Inserting on both sides would have to separate the signal return/ground somehow, however.

If you make it single-entry, someone will complain that, despite wanting to use an aftermarket cable, there will still be "inferior" wire between the cups.

But, if we're just talking a mid-tier pair of headphones that will work with balanced portable amps, then it might be less of an issue.

Quote:
Personally i hope there will be an entry point for the trs connector on the left and right ear cup. for me thats a huge factor because i like the microphone and 3-button remote to the right ear cup when I'm just listening, but when i'm DJ'ing or Drumming i use the cable on the left ear cup. 

Quote:
The secret special feature could either be:

And last, my own guess: Did you notice how in the photos Val has the cable plugged in to the left side of the headphones (like all V-MODA cans), but he has his head turned distinctly to his right...almost as if he's trying to hide the right earcup? Hmmm...dual-sided cable entry, anyone? Maybe the new cable The Doctor referenced in his guess #2 (above) is a split-Y...aaawwww SNAP! I'd personally love to plug in on the right, because I keep my iPhone in my right pocket.

Quote:
I am out of if M100 goes dual entry. You can have single entry AND balanced cable.
Whether or not portable balance rig improve sound quality is highly debatable; what it does is make things louder. I have heard some balanced rigs; not all make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Something I'd better mention before I forget: If you're going to be making "audiophile" headphones, you'll need to do dual-entry, as some of us like to use balanced amps. With more balanced portable amps coming out too it'll be interesting.  I realise we're a small minority though.

Funny you mention this, I have thought about this as Drew from Moon Audio requested it and I have ONE M-100 with it.

I may have a creative solution for the tinkerers that want to modify it to be balanced easier, it's in my "nice to have features" for launch.  Yet, I cannot promise because if it hurts our reliability testing it'll have to be a manual mod.  It definitely will be made to be a consumer-friendly single entry for the 99 percentile.

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #5,232 of 23,366
So, this may be redundant, but does anyone know for a fact if they only engrave/etch in white, and not black? I see on their page the gunmetal shield with black/grey etching, but the consierge staff say they can only do white
confused_face_2.gif

I thought I remember reading somewhere on here where to get a black image, you need to cut into a layer, where the white is more of a "print"? I'd greatly appreciate the enlightenment..

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #5,233 of 23,366
Quote:
So, this may be redundant, but does anyone know for a fact if they only engrave/etch in white, and not black? I see on their page the gunmetal shield with black/grey etching, but the consierge staff say they can only do white
confused_face_2.gif

I thought I remember reading somewhere on here where to get a black image, you need to cut into a layer, where the white is more of a "print"? I'd greatly appreciate the enlightenment..

White only - black is something they can't do, but mistakenly advertised. I've asked as well.

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #5,234 of 23,366
Quote:
White only - black is something they can't do, but mistakenly advertised. I've asked as well.

you can get a black shield and use an inverted image, so you laser off everything except for the design itself - they have said they can do that. but then your stuck with a silvery white.

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #5,235 of 23,366

Users who are viewing this thread

Back