V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 15, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #4,502 of 23,366
Quote:
If he used them all with the same amp, wouldn't that mean that without an amp, the same results hold true?

Not necessarily, using a dedicated amp can have more of a positive sonic impact on some headphones while others may work well with a particular type of amp and not with others.

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #4,504 of 23,366
Quote:

Something to think about, Val "Innovate or Die!" K.:  Optional pads for comfort and prestige.  You could offer them along with custom shields.

+1

I'd love to see real leather and velour options as well. I also still really like the idea of wood shields. I have a neighbor who has a very nice wood shop in her basement, I'm not sure of her skill level but I've debated asking her how hard it would be to make custom wood shields for my M-80's or M-100's when I pick up a pair. I'd rather see something official from V-Moda though.

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #4,505 of 23,366
Quote:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not, but are the M-100's not going to have changeable wing plates?....I was looking at the photo V Moda posted on their Facebook of the M-100's standing on their own and it looks as if there are no screws, it looks the same as the M-80's.

I had made mention of it some pages back.  With the company initiative in place to (smartly -- it's identifiable branding in itself) expand the "endorse yourself" concept to a larger user base the elimination of swappable wing plates is a logically shrewd progression.  There are materials and manufacturing costs to consider that, slim as they may be individually, most certainly occupy a spot on the ledger.  Most won't notice and even less won't care, but for those that do the door isn't completely closed.  The housing assembly seems to be held together by a mere three screws, so perhaps kits to "customize" the entirety could be offered at a later date.

Quote:
I'd love to see real leather and velour options as well. I also still really like the idea of wood shields. I have a neighbor who has a very nice wood shop in her basement, I'm not sure of her skill level but I've debated asking her how hard it would be to make custom wood shields for my M-80's or M-100's when I pick up a pair. I'd rather see something official from V-Moda though.

Offering alternate padding materials is a fantastic idea and I'll echo the wood shield sentiment again.

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #4,506 of 23,366
El Nero!

Excellent to find an old fiend in a sea of comparatively newer enthusiasts.  I now have special perspective on that, having become a poseur according to Hardin's Conformity Clause ("s/he who complains of poseurs is automatically a poseur").

Re the pad option: 

I concur (and so does that dame from Legally Blonde 2).

Wood is a fun idea, but I'm struggling to see it in the context of Val's current H.R.-Giger-in-Milan aesthetic.  He's inches away from neo-industrial, with his pointy spiky matte- and brushed-metal surfaces.  I like it, but the question is whether wood would.

The challenge would be either for that aesthetic to evolve toward wood or to find a way to incorporate it. 

If Val really did do an M100 Giger Wood Edition, the result might look like a tree in mechanical bondage.

Quote:

+1

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #4,507 of 23,366
Quote:
El Nero!

Excellent to find an old fiend in a sea of comparatively newer enthusiasts.  I now have special perspective on that, having become a poseur according to Hardin's Conformity Clause ("s/he who complains of poseurs is automatically a poseur").

Re the pad option: 

I concur (and so does that dame from Legally Blonde 2).

Wood is a fun idea, but I'm struggling to see it in the context of Val's current H.R.-Giger-in-Milan aesthetic.  He's inches away from neo-industrial, with his pointy spiky matte- and brushed-metal surfaces.  I like it, but the question is whether wood would.

The challenge would be either for that aesthetic to evolve toward wood or to find a way to incorporate it. 

If Val really did do an M100 Giger Wood Edition, the result might look like a tree in mechanical bondage.

Good to see you're still hanging around theses parts, I've missed reading your posts on a regular basis, they're both enlightening and entertaining.

I agree, aesthetically wood shields would be a delicate balance to have look right. That said, I can't seem to get the idea that a wood with similar coloring to that used in the W5000 would look very nice with Shadow or Matte Black options.

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #4,508 of 23,366
Would wood not change the vibrational characteristics of the headphones? It could alter the soundstage, seeing as wood carries sound more slowly than steel due to its lower density and the V-port air-flow system directly incorporates the ports on the shields to increase the '3Dness' (as the website says). It'd be an interesting experiment in sound design.

V-Moda, a good... woody sort of word.

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #4,509 of 23,366
I can't imagine a wood that you could make thin enough to fit properly on the cups and not have it start cracking over time around the screw holes or vents.  Maybe if they were reinforced but how much reinforcement can you put into them before they start changing the form factor?

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #4,511 of 23,366
Wood shield doesn't make THAT much sense for M100 as it may change acoustics a little but say for the future "Revolver" which is meant to be more highend it would be a cool idea as the construction of the cup itself might have to change a little as the wood shields probably would have to be a little thicker etc. Yea I vote not for M100 but for Revolver and more research behind it how to maximize the acoustics with wood + slightly tweaked cup design for low resonance etc. Sounds like an idea to thinker about.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #4,512 of 23,366
Wood shields mmm, would it look good with the industrial design of the m100's?

Here is the white m100 with wood shields (photoshop)

It looks ok, but i think it would look better on the black m100.

What do you guys think of a white m100 with matte black shields and black cushions?

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #4,514 of 23,366
Quote:
Wood shield doesn't make THAT much sense for M100 as it may change acoustics a little but say for the future "Revolver" which is meant to be more highend it would be a cool idea as the construction of the cup itself might have to change a little as the wood shields probably would have to be a little thicker etc. Yea I vote not for M100 but for Revolver and more research behind it how to maximize the acoustics with wood + slightly tweaked cup design for low resonance etc. Sounds like an idea to thinker about.

I can't really imagine aesthetic shields making too much of a difference on the headphones considering they're just a cover for the housing. It's like painting your headphones, except instead of paint you're screwing some stylish armor over it. I'd suppose that one way to be certain of the difference is to listen to music with/without shields on, but in any case I'd say that while wood would be classy, I'd have to agree with scrypt that it *might not* be the best fit for the LP's/100's styling

Edit: Oh wow, thanks DancingCow! the black shileds on white looks pretty fabulous if I do say so myself! The wood? Not so much. It's like Scrypt pointed out with the design being neo industrialist, which makes the wood seem to clash a bit :/

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #4,515 of 23,366
Quote:
I can't really imagine aesthetic shields making too much of a difference on the headphones considering they're just a cover for the housing. It's like painting your headphones, except instead of paint you're screwing some stylish armor over it. I'd suppose that one way to be certain of the difference is to listen to music with/without shields on, but in any case I'd say that while wood would be classy, I'd have to agree with scrypt that it *might not* be the best fit for the LP's/100's styling

Edit: Oh wow, thanks DancingCow! the black shileds on white looks pretty fabulous if I do say so myself! The wood? Not so much. It's like Scrypt pointed out with the design being neo industrialist, which makes the wood seem to clash a bit :/

No problem. I agree, wood with the industrial design... doesn't work. The white with black looks futuristic/industrial, great match. Definitely my pick for the m100 when they release :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back