V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #4,427 of 23,366
Quote:

Agreed.  But for those who have no intention to be(come) a contributing member of this community, well...

True, but how to discern between those who contribute or not?  Can't do it by post count, and there are many who have posted in here and haven't contributed a single thing (don't necessarily mean them any ill will; some have simply jumped in to ask a question that we got the answer for a few pages back).

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #4,428 of 23,366
Quote:

+1.  It is unfair to the rest of the population to give certain people first dibs in the general population.  

Equal chance, yes. But I think Curly's alluding to more is that, among the posts discussing what we'll be comparing the M-100's to as well as other things, you get a lot of newcomers who try to establish themselves as part of the thread, asking things like "Are the M-100's out yet? Pleas tell me how to do it," and that's a bit degrading to the quality of posts being churned out by established members

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #4,429 of 23,366
+2. No one should get any sort of priority in getting these. We've already established that. There is no good way to create a metric to decide priority. Is it post count? Is it earliest post in this thread? Most posts in this thread? Some combination? Do any of those and people will disagree about the chosen metric. Does Val screen out individual people just because they just created an account or just posted in the thread for the first time? How fair is that to those who have been lurking in this thread for a long time but decided not to post because, quite frankly, the majority of the thread is just useless chat? There could be people who just decided to post for the first time and DO actually intend to give a fantastically in-depth review of the M-100s, even though their behavior might not signify that.

I think you're a jerk if you make an account, post one thing about how you want PPUs, manage to snag a pair, and then don't post any impressions/reviews of the M-100s. That said, everyone should have an equal chance of getting one, and if that means some jerks get to do exactly what I described, so be it. Given the amount of PPUs that will be in the hands of Head-Fiers, I'm sure we'll get plenty of people who will post reviews. 

I'm still wondering if Val could respond about if any parts from the LPs/LP2s are reused on the M-100s.

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #4,430 of 23,366
Some of us don't feel the need to post everything that comes to mind. A lot of the so called "contributors" or people with a high post count in this thread do nothing more than clutter it with nonsense. Do those people have a higher priority than people who've sat back and just tried to wade through all the ridiculous posts for months trying to find a little bit of info? I've been reading this thread for months, but haven't commented much. I also don't claim to know a ton about headphones so my input isn't really warranted anyhow. Not sure how that makes me less entitled to a product that anyone else. I do know that I'm interested in these mostly because I like the fact that the owner of the company seems genuine about putting out a good product and has his customers in mind rather than putting out something to simply make profits. So tell me who is going to be the judge of who gets these and who doesn't?....These are just headphones people, not the cure for cancer or some other life threatening disease.

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #4,431 of 23,366
Quote:
True, but how to discern between those who contribute or not?  Can't do it by post count, and there are many who have posted in here and haven't contributed a single thing (don't necessarily mean them any ill will; some have simply jumped in to ask a question that we got the answer for a few pages back).

Let's pump the brakes for a second.

I'm not stating that ANY Head-Fier should be prioritized, ranked, categorized, etc.  At the risk of being mis-interpreted as attempting to speak on his behalf, if Mr. Kolton intended for these PPU units to be given first-come, first-serve to anyone and everyone he would've been posting details on Facebook, Twitter, or V-MODA's website.  If someone joins this very minute with intention to become a part of this community, then by all means I take zero issue with that.  If someone is prompted to join solely due to this promotion and wants to become a contributing member, then by golly that's wonderful!

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #4,432 of 23,366
While something like that would make sense, it will firstly be impossible to stop all the guests from getting themselves 1 after reading the thread, and if we block the guests the whole attraction of head fi will most likely be lost

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #4,433 of 23,366
Quote:
While something like that would make sense, it will firstly be impossible to stop all the guests from getting themselves 1 after reading the thread, and if we block the guests the whole attraction of head fi will most likely be lost

You're absolutely, 100% correct.  No action needs to nor SHOULD be taken.  The message is out there for conscientious individuals to take as they will and act as they see fit.  No pitchforks nor torches necessary.

Also, my apologies to all, whether they be in agreement with my post or not, for the flareup.  With the obvious tension it felt necessary. (and c'mon, I took the edge off with a Back to the Future quote!)

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #4,434 of 23,366
I agree that everybody should have an equal chance, and post count isn't the greatest indicator of investment. I've been following the thread intently for the past few months, and while I haven't posted much I've been soaking up every shred of information and loving the discussion. I can totally appreciate it's frustrating though when someone new to the thread asks the 'When? How?' question when they could have found the answers even a few pages back if they'd taken the time to look. I'm not suggesting they wade through 296 pages, but just taking a little time to catch up on some of what they've missed doesn't seem too much to ask and would seem a much better way to ingratiate themselves to the community.

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #4,435 of 23,366
Quote:
I think it's silly to give priority to anyone in particular on these forums, everybody should have an equal chance.

What does 'equal chance' mean in this context? What set of people? Everyone who has posted in this thread? Everyone who has posted on head-fi? Everyone who signs up to a separate lottery system?  I haven't been posting on these forums for long (all my posts are in this thread) so maybe I shouldn't have entitlement to an opinion on the matter, but even I think it's silly to call a straight lottery on something like this. The benefits are real - first dibs on rare headphones - and the opportunity cost is small - signing up to a forum and making a post or two - so some sort of method should be used to differentiate between the people who abuse the low opportunity cost to get a massive benefit.

I don't have a better, highly practical solution, after all, how do you quantify interest? It's sure as hell not post count, but people who haven't posted at all are unlikely to enjoy expressing their views in writing, which will be bad for future advertising; what's worse is they're less likely to have interest in the final product and possibly *shock* sell them at a profit!

EDIT: Thanks Curly, I changed my avatar and now I'm as calm as can be.

Further EDIT: I hope the Head-Fi community at large is easy on V-Moda, after all, they're trying to cater to the largest headphone community on the internet with a new and untested launch system... anything more than 10% satisfaction on this thread is probably a resounding success haha. I really hope the people who get headphones post worthwhile reviews/thoughts of them so that the rest of the community can benefit.

Good luck Val!

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #4,436 of 23,366
As a means of curbing any remaining tension and as a showing of solidarity, I invite others to join me in changing your avatar to cute and/or frilly things until the M-100 is released. 
beerchug.gif

...and hey, it could make for a funny "What moment" for anyone that may peer in to lurk or otherwise has taken a break from and returns to this thread...

EDIT: Not to mention Val. :)

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #4,438 of 23,366
Quote:
What does 'equal chance' mean in this context? What set of people? Everyone who has posted in this thread? Everyone who has posted on head-fi? Everyone who signs up to a separate lottery system?  I haven't been posting on these forums for long (all my posts are in this thread) so maybe I shouldn't have entitlement to an opinion on the matter, but even I think it's silly to call a straight lottery on something like this. The benefits are real - first dibs on rare headphones - and the opportunity cost is small - signing up to a forum and making a post or two - so some sort of method should be used to differentiate between the people who abuse the low opportunity cost to get a massive benefit.

I don't have a better, highly practical solution, after all, how do you quantify interest? It's sure as hell not post count, but people who haven't posted at all are unlikely to enjoy expressing their views in writing, which will be bad for future advertising; what's worse is they're less likely have interest in the final product and possibly *shock* sell them at a profit!

Ok, I've had enough.. I will make my first post even though I have nothing USEFUL to add at this time.

The reality is that 99% of posts on this thread (with the exception of Val's posts) are complete and utter crap. I suspect that like myself, a lot of the lurkers, have nothing useful to add and therefore know that they should keep quiet. I've been checking this thread every day for many weeks to see if Val has any updates. Every time, I have to waste my time scrolling through tens of useless and completely speculative posts that contribute absolutely nothing. 

I just want to take a minute to thank all the lurkers that have kept to the sidelines and waited for Val's updates without adding more nonsense to the thread. Also, I would like to apologize to those same readers for my one indiscretion. I will not post again until I have something USEFUL to add. Thank you.

Edit: P.S. Shockingly, I do enjoy writing and reviewing products. The difference is that I wait for those products to be released before I "review" them.

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #4,440 of 23,366
Does anyone know whether or not a Fiio E11 would be able to sufficiently amp these headphones? I know there is the VAMP but that is way out of my price range (I'm also thinking the Iphone 5 may be released soon and I'm up for an upgrade!). I'm willing to spend the extra money to get the e17 but if I can save some money with the e11 that would be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back