V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 29, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #3,856 of 23,366
This thread would make a great psychological study in itself.

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #3,857 of 23,366
Quote:
Guys what should we name the shields? What should we name the yoke? Can't forget the headband, either. What about the cups? And the cables, too. Maybe we can think of a V-name for the earpads? Maybe call them the "Valhalla" because Valhalla is an enormous hall in Norse mythology and earpads are kind of a hall for your ears, and also because Norse mythology? Hmm, we also should name the plastic pieces at the ends of the headband. Oh, yeah, just remembered the cables that go from the cups into the headband. Since it's an orifice we could call the cable entry point the Va...never mind. Do you guys think the stitching should be named? Perhaps "Vasodilatation" just because it starts with V and is a big word and sounds cool, and the stitching is trivial anyways and it makes no sense to name stuff? 

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #3,858 of 23,366
Quote:
He's probably looking for a name to include in promotional materials, so that on the manual or box or in press releases or something it would say "The new M-100s are more portable than ever thanks to the new V-Hinge technology". And honestly, stick to something generic like that.

I agree, sticking to a generic name would be portrayed more professional with the likes of V-Hinge or possibly V-ARM technology with a brief description of the design concepts etc. 

Apple often use the "i" in its technology terminology for its new designs so I guess using V for the V-moda brand would be its own touch of branding that would work well. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #3,859 of 23,366
I third the above bolded text.  I'm a fan of V-MODA after owning some M-80s and I'm on board with the company's goals, however, adding a 'V' in front of everything or making clever 'V' names for every aspect of the headphones comes off as kitschy at best, turning V-MODA into a parody of itself.  At some point the headphones should speak for themselves.

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #3,860 of 23,366
Quote:
I would rather see an advertisement that says the hinges are reinforced with some extra strength steel than they are the new Valhallian Valkyrie hinges made by Odin himself.

I haven't looked up who Odin is (honestly idc right now) it sounds like a God. ...Or a character from How to train you dragon. I lol'ed picturing Val dressed as a viking for a M-100 ad. XD

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #3,861 of 23,366
Why the need to name every part of the headphone? Isn't it enough to just market an awesome headphone saying that it's durable as hell and that it now has hinges that can take a beating? 
Sure u would have to show speccs and so on, but naming the hinge, the shields, the cables.. It has vipercable, kobracable, ultraflexsupercable and a military mic, I think that just confuses the regular consumer. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #3,862 of 23,366
this is all so vaghingable... renaming a hinge is kinda unbelievable... personally thinking why has no-one requested internal heaters built into the cups for when it gets cold?.

SQ is everything (one hopes this is where the bulk of the development has gone)... no matter the hype this is what it will  be all about unless you're a wannabe fashion victim.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #3,863 of 23,366
All I'm checking this thread for now is an official release date and the full plans of how the PPU's will be sold. All this naming stuff has gotten kind of out of control - I know he asked, but I think we've given plenty of names now, he doesn't need anymore to chose from.

Are the PPU's still set for only white and shadow colors? I think I remember him mentioning something about a matte black PPU right? Or was I mistaken?

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #3,864 of 23,366
Quote:
All I'm checking this thread for now is an official release date and the full plans of how the PPU's will be sold. All this naming stuff has gotten kind of out of control - I know he asked, but I think we've given plenty of names now, he doesn't need anymore to chose from.
Are the PPU's still set for only white and shadow colors? I think I remember him mentioning something about a matte black PPU right? Or was I mistaken?

I remember him saying that he officially added an orange cable for the matte black M-100's, he didn't say anything about them being PPU's though. I'm looking forward to him answering those questions on that long flight tomorrow.

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #3,865 of 23,366
I don't mind the naming as long as it's for new technology, and iirc, Val said that the hinges were developed specifically for the M100, making them new, and probably will be patented.  Even more so if he plans to use these hinges in the future.  It's a marketing tactic to show that not only does v-moda products have superior SQ, but superior parts as well.

Companies do it all the time with new technology. Amoled, gorilla glass, heck, even teflon.  According to some people's logic, those should be described as "a new type of OLED screen  which [size=12.800000190734863px]uses a TFT to maintain the line pixel states, enabling large size (and large resolution) displays"; [/size]"new glass technology with a hardness rating between 622 - 700 and can withstand drops from x feet high!"; "new improved cfc that has a very low friction coefficient and is scratch resistant!"

Now, tell me, which is more recognizable, a simple one word, trademarkable term, or a long, wordy description which many people won't even understand. 

I decided to look up Sennheiser, and this is what I see (gathered from different products around the site).
  1. NoiseGard 2.0 reduces up to 90% cabin noise
  2. SRS Wow HD adds excitement to music and movies
  3. Bluetooth 2.1 with Apt-X for clear stereo music and call
  4. Reduced comb filter effects and distortion due to E.A.R. (Ergonomic Acoustic Refinement) and Duofol diaphragm

And beyerdynamic has something called Tesla Technology.

You can argue that those are different, and that they didn't name their moving parts and accessories, but then I can say that's because they're using generic parts with no superiority. This is what's going to differentiate V-moda from the competition, superior SQ and parts.

You can refute the points I made, but I won't be responding to anything cause I don't wanna turn this into an argument. I've said all I needed to say and that's it.  One last thing I will say though, if you don't like it, just don't comment.  It's Val's company, his investment, and he can do whatever he wants. 

EDIT:  I dunno why it has a blue background around some of the text. Might be the blue bullets that were from sennheiser's site that I copied. Dunno how to get rid of it tho >_<

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #3,866 of 23,366
I'm wondering. The m100s should be considered v moda' s flagship model right? Perhaps a year from now, they may release another?

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #3,868 of 23,366
I don't mind the naming as long as it's for new technology, and iirc, Val said that the hinges were developed specifically for the M100, making them new, and probably will be patented.  Even more so if he plans to use these hinges in the future.  It's a marketing tactic to show that not only does v-moda products have superior SQ, but superior parts as well.

Companies do it all the time with new technology. Amoled, gorilla glass, heck, even teflon.  According to some people's logic, those should be described as "a new type of OLED screen  which [size=12.800000190734863px]uses a TFT to maintain the line pixel states, enabling large size (and large resolution) displays"; [/size]
"new glass technology with a hardness rating between 622 - 700 and can withstand drops from x feet high!"; "new improved cfc that has a very low friction coefficient and is scratch resistant!"

Now, tell me, which is more recognizable, a simple one word, trademarkable term, or a long, wordy description which many people won't even understand. 

I decided to look up Sennheiser, and this is what I see (gathered from different products around the site).
  1. NoiseGard 2.0 reduces up to 90% cabin noise
  2. SRS Wow HD adds excitement to music and movies
  3. Bluetooth 2.1 with Apt-X for clear stereo music and call
  4. Reduced comb filter effects and distortion due to E.A.R. (Ergonomic Acoustic Refinement) and Duofol diaphragm

And beyerdynamic has something called Tesla Technology.

You can argue that those are different, and that they didn't name their moving parts and accessories, but then I can say that's because they're using generic parts with no superiority. This is what's going to differentiate V-moda from the competition, superior SQ and parts.

You can refute the points I made, but I won't be responding to anything cause I don't wanna turn this into an argument. I've said all I needed to say and that's it.  One last thing I will say though, if you don't like it, just don't comment.  It's Val's company, his investment, and he can do whatever he wants. 

EDIT:  I dunno why it has a blue background around some of the text. Might be the blue bullets that were from sennheiser's site that I copied. Dunno how to get rid of it tho >_<

X2, very nicely stated and good points.

On another note, I hope the matte black M-100 also comes with a black cable. I just won't use an orange cable I know it.

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #3,869 of 23,366
Quote:
On another note, I hope the matte black M-100 also comes with a black cable. I just won't use an orange cable I know it.

Me too. That would certainly increase the chances of the black audio-only cable finally being back in stock on their website.
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #3,870 of 23,366
Quote:
I third the above bolded text.  I'm a fan of V-MODA after owning some M-80s and I'm on board with the company's goals, however, adding a 'V' in front of everything or making clever 'V' names for every aspect of the headphones comes off as kitschy at best, turning V-MODA into a parody of itself.  At some point the headphones should speak for themselves.

Agreed, we can't use V all the time or it'll get way too old.  Not going to drive down that "i way". 

Remix, Faders, M-100, Crossfade, etc is a perfect example of our awareness.

Rocky Mountain Audio Festival Denver, we'll have M-100s!
We'll have M-100s at RMAF, so make your arrangements now if you can.  I can't wait, last year was a blast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back