V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 24, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #3,601 of 23,366
Quote:
Guilty Crown? 

ahem* But onto amping, What do you think would be the lowest cost/portable amp that would be able to power the M100s sufficiently well? I've never tried a portable amp before and although I do have a computer amp, it's more on the recording side than the headphone side quality wise. Would there be a significant difference between an amped and unamped ipod touch as would an amp paired up with a desktop? 

Being a little less experienced with portable amps, I always think that they would be uncomfortable with an extra added lump in my pocket. Tying this back to the M100s, I guess I'm looking for something inexpensive yet still able to power the M100s decently. 

*just some speculations as we don't really have the M100s released yet....

No brainer- FiiO E11- inexpensive, compact, light, great sound, two-stage bass boost.

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #3,603 of 23,366
Quote:
Guilty Crown? 

ahem* But onto amping, What do you think would be the lowest cost/portable amp that would be able to power the M100s sufficiently well? I've never tried a portable amp before and although I do have a computer amp, it's more on the recording side than the headphone side quality wise. Would there be a significant difference between an amped and unamped ipod touch as would an amp paired up with a desktop? 

Being a little less experienced with portable amps, I always think that they would be uncomfortable with an extra added lump in my pocket. Tying this back to the M100s, I guess I'm looking for something inexpensive yet still able to power the M100s decently. 

*just some speculations as we don't really have the M100s released yet....

I vouch for anything Fiio. E11 would be perfect since it is their most powerful portable amp and $60 to boot. It's just like strapping in a VAMP except less so and it needs a rubber band.

Quote:
Yeah, as crappy as the show and story were, the music was phenomenal.

Ah I was about to ask you about that. Good thing you think so :) I was afraid of having another fanboy here.

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #3,604 of 23,366
Quote:
This is kind of random but would you guys think these would work well with video games(shooters)? Obviously I'm going to use them for music also but I really don't want to buy two headsets for two completely different reasons. I would connect the m100s to the HPJ on my television and I will use its microphone to communicate.

They should be fine for games.  I've played CS:S with IEMs just fine.

There are many options for cheap DAC/AMPs.  I'm also considering the u-dac2, but I'm having trouble convincing myself the amp is strong enough for the M100.  On the other hand, I'm strongly considering the Ibasso D-zero.  Super small and portable and can function as just a portable amp.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #3,605 of 23,366
Quote:
They should be fine for games.  I've played CS:S with IEMs just fine.

There are many options for cheap DAC/AMPs.  I'm also considering the u-dac2, but I'm having trouble convincing myself the amp is strong enough for the M100.  On the other hand, I'm strongly considering the Ibasso D-zero.  Super small and portable and can function as just a portable amp.

Have you considered the adl cruise dac/headphone amp? I use mine with shure se 535 le but it should easily power the m100s!

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #3,606 of 23,366
This is kind of random but would you guys think these would work well with video games(shooters)? Obviously I'm going to use them for music also but I really don't want to buy two headsets for two completely different reasons. I would connect the m100s to the HPJ on my television and I will use its microphone to communicate.

I can fuly relate to not wanting a whole stable of headphones for different purposes. I have spent more time gaming in the past 5 years than listening to music, but that may change as I may be able to listen to music while I work.

I'm confident the M100 will do fine for gaming. Just keep in mind that it is a closed can... there will probably be a lot of energy to the sound effects, voices should usually not get lost in the mix, and they should be pretty exciting to play with. Soundstage depth won't compare to the open cans that do that best, so that won't give you an advantage in competitive multiplayer, but that doesn't mean that directional imaging and soft cues can't be very good. Overall, they should do about as good for gaming as a decent pair of speakers in stereo.

Surround sound processing like Dolby Headphone, Yamaha's 'Silent Cinema', Creative's "CMSS-3D" and others don't respond to any closed headphone as well as the best open headphones.

Finally, you will need to buy some adapters to connect to game sound and your mic to a console's chat channel. You can research and buy the adapters individually, just for chat, pretty cheap, or buy something like the X-Jacker (spelling?) kit for a little more but have everything you need, or you can buy a gaming amp/processor like the Turtle Beach DSS or Astro Mixamp for even more to get all the adapters plus an amp/DAC/3D Processor.

Me? I just use my Yamaha receiver with "Silent Cinema", pipe chat audio on my Xbox through "speakers", and then I have a $3 lapel mic that plugs right into my controller. Works pretty universally. The receiver was about $200, but then again I plug everything and the kitchen sink into it.

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #3,607 of 23,366
I've found myself oddly content of late with my stock Compaq speakers. I think I'm done for now with the audio game. Who else?

I have been listening mostly to the Built-in speakers of my Panasonic L32C3 tv, which probably sound a lot like your Compaq laptop speakers. But it's not been satisfying, it's been torture as all my hi-fi stuff is boxed up in the basement till I move out of my Mom's house.
I'm gonna go now and see if My Little Ponies can cheer me up. :/

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #3,609 of 23,366
Sorry for lack of responses guys, we are KNEE DEEP finishing up ALL content by this weekend as we have several employees off next week.  I talked to Jude a long time about M-100 and this thread last weekend, it is very exciting to have taken part in making this a product for the people.  I feel it is semi-open source or "crowd sourcing"!

For some "value added" preview content, here is one side of the insert card of M-100 we are wrapping up today (any mistakes?). We're finishing the manual tonight, it is not an easy one to write...

ANY QS PENDING
Can someone compile and PM me a list of all pending questions and I'll try to answer them all on a long flight I have next Monday.  I hope to start taking orders by ~ August 8.  The PP presale products WILL include free laser engraving, extra shields and THREE different cables included for $310 total, so gentlemen start your designs.

Cheers!

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #3,610 of 23,366
Quote:
Sorry for lack of responses guys, we are KNEE DEEP finishing up ALL content by this weekend.  I talked to Jude a long time about M-100 and this thread last weekend, it is very exciting to have taken part in making this a product for the people.  I feel it is semi-open source or "crowd sourcing"!

For some "value added" preview content, here is one side of the insert card of M-100 we are wrapping up today (any mistakes?). We're finishing the manual tonight, it is not an easy one to write...

ANY QS PENDING
Can someone compile and PM me a list of all pending questions and I'll try to answer them all on a long flight I have next Monday.  I hope to start taking orders by ~ August 8.  The PP presale products WILL include free laser engraving, extra shields and THREE different cables included for $310 total, so gentlemen start your designs ready.

Cheers!

three extra cables? so 6 in total or the 3 we already knew? (coiled, audio only, and hands free) 

ps: where do i sign up, :)   can the pp units, be shipped worldwide?, i dont mind being to one with a pair of m-100 in my country . 

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #3,611 of 23,366
Quote:

three extra cables? so 6 in total or the 3 we already knew? (coiled, audio only, and hands free) 

ps: where do i sign up, :)   can the pp units, be shipped worldwide?, i dont mind being to one with a pair of m-100 in my country . 

There are 3 included and 2 extra cables we are making as options.

Where?  V-MODA.com soon, once we finalize the parameters and dates in a few days.  Yes will be shipped worldwide.  Right now we are looking at 100x3 colors.

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #3,612 of 23,366
I would love to look through and find all of the questions that have been asked, but that might be a little troublesome. I'll compile all the ones I can remember, and throw in any others I think about:

• PP Presale units will come with 6 cables total then? Or are the three cables the coiled, audio-only, and the mic-cable?
  • PP Presale units are confirmed to be White/Silver and Shadow only, correct?
  • Do the Case Color and Accents depend on the style/color of the headphones? (Black + Black Thread for Matte Black M-100's --> White + Gray/Red Thread for White/Silver M-100's?)
  • What extra accessories are being planned for the Launch Window? Cables, Pads, Shields?
  • What is your personal favorite thing about the M-100's, sound-wise?
  • Any amp/setup you recommend?
  • Can you share any specs/measurements/ final details before pre-orders?

Hope this covers most of it - will PM it to you as well, Val.

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #3,615 of 23,366
I have a feeling this may have been discussed before. But what would be a difference to be expected between the PPUs and the official released ones. It's just something im considering before actually purchasing the PPUs (Of course if there are enough to purchase).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back