V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 17, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #3,482 of 23,366
Yeah... unless you're pirating photoshop/illustrator or spending hundreds of dollars for that software, most people aren't going to have that software. So I guess the next best option is GIMP. But even then I don't know how many people really use GIMP. So even though they ask for 300 dpi images, I don't even know how many people have the capacity to have the image at that quality. That being said, I'd say there's some probability that using the template and guidelines greatly maximizes efficiency. My shields were shipped pretty quickly, so I'd imagine having everything in place to shoot into the laser machine would be of great help.

Some people like me have Photoshop Elements, which doesn't cost hundreds of dollars like the CS versions.

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #3,483 of 23,366
Quote:
Some people like me have Photoshop Elements, which doesn't cost hundreds of dollars like the CS versions.

Not a bad alternative, although really I find it ridiculous that the creative suites are sold at such extravagant prices considering how nobody in their right mind would spend the amount of money needed for it when there's a 5 kb crack for it floating around or whatever.

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #3,484 of 23,366
Not a bad alternative, although really I find it ridiculous that the creative suites are sold at such extravagant prices considering how nobody in their right mind would spend the amount of money needed for it when there's a 5 kb crack for it floating around or whatever.
My computer came with elements, but not Illustrator, which was needed to do the image trace to convert my images into B+W vectors. I am one of the few who actually went out of my way to download the 1.5GB demo version of Illustrator, just to work on my design.

Considering we can't expect everyone to do something obsessive like that, it's safe to assume that V-MODA does have the ability and methods in place to convert the LQ images they probably get 80+% of the time. It's all built into their cost and profit margins, so I don't think we need to worry.

About the two image thing, you should be able to do it for the cost of one, no problem, as long as they are the SAME color. They will not do it if it leaves them with a single shield of either color. Too many wasted materials.

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #3,485 of 23,366

Because the elements series are meant for typical edits and playing around, while the CS versions are for professionals. Someone using a cracked version for creating commercial products would easily lose a lawsuit, a lot of money, and their business. Simple.
So if you have $0, you get GIMP and wish it was Adobe, if you want to learn digital art you can often get Photoshop Elements bundled with a tablet (came with my Wacom Capture), if you use the software every day/week to make money you get CS and grumble-mumble about upgrade costs.

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #3,486 of 23,366
Quote:
Because the elements series are meant for typical edits and playing around, while the CS versions are for professionals. Someone using a cracked version for creating commercial products would easily lose a lawsuit, a lot of money, and their business. Simple.
So if you have $0, you get GIMP and wish it was Adobe, if you want to learn digital art you can often get Photoshop Elements bundled with a tablet (came with my Wacom Capture), if you use the software every day/week to make money you get CS and grumble-mumble about upgrade costs.

paint.NET is your best friend.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #3,487 of 23,366
Quote:

That sounds like it's just an inefficient process on V-MODA's part.  I can't imagine a small company like V-MODA wasting so much material and staying viable long term.
The requirements for custom vector art are clearly written on the V-MODA webpage.  There are also two downloadable templates for users to check their images.  I don't see why (or how) V-MODA is doing so much work beyond what's sent to them for the custom work.  MAYBE resizing and aligning it onto the shield but that's really easy to do.
Notice I never complained anything about the $45 price.  My rant was about charging MusicCrave $90 to get a different image on each shield.  I don't think the best spin doctor in the world could come in here and explain the value proposition on that one.

Well, the laser engraving process just isn't simple in the first place.  It's not really just like printing stuff out on paper.  I don't really see a better way they could do this and still keep the same level of quality.

I mean the thing is, doing different art on both shields would be the same amount of work as doing two entirely separate orders.  Once they have the method and CNC down right, they'd be able to laser as many shields as they want at a minimal cost.  It's just getting it right that fist time which is so labour-intensive.

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #3,488 of 23,366
Quote:

GIMP is a pretty good tool for budding professionals. It's certainly not as good as the latest Photoshop CS series, but it'll definitely fit most people's needs, I reckon. Besides, it's free.

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #3,489 of 23,366
We're sidetracking here. 

But anyway, yeah if you don't use PS professionally... so what. But if you are, you have to get the licence. Cost of the Industry. 
At least Autodesk give away free student licences, but the price of a full version... holy kak. 

Still nothing compared to game engines. 

And its not like these programs are simple, or have a ginormous target audience like MS office, which price I can't fathom. So the price is not too unreasonable. But no free student licence is just stingy.

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #3,490 of 23,366
Sorry for lack of responses lately, it is extreme crunch time and I am writing all the packaging, manuals, inserts, copy, press releases...

I'll check back in end of week with some updates, promise!

PS - we are trying to launch M-100 with a few after market accessories too

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #3,491 of 23,366
Quote:
Sorry for lack of responses lately, it is extreme crunch time and I am writing all the packaging, manuals, inserts, copy, press releases...

Wow that's a helluva job right there, I'm suprised you didn't die out of boredom yet. Oh well I guess seeing the M100 launching and hopefully positive feedback about it will be worth it in the end. :)

I don't think I ever saw a CEO such dedicated to the actual work around a product, usually ideas and directions and decisions is what a CEO do but you seem to wanna be involved in the whole process as much as possible which is a good sign to me. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #3,493 of 23,366
Quote:

Haha. 

Will proofread and/or write materials for minimum wage.

Qualifications: English Literature, BA (Hons) first class degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back