V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 11, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #3,151 of 23,366
Quote:
What about a brushed metal finish?
I've added a brushed metal texture (wasn't as sharp than I thought) but it does make it look a bit more aggressive.
I also made the grey a hair lighter.

You need a lighter brushed metal to create an offset contrast to the headphones.  Otherwise, the headphones blend in too deeply with the actual brushed metal.  The red is still a little bright for me, but it works.  Try to match the red of the V-Moda V, then make it slightly darker.

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #3,152 of 23,366
Jul 11, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #3,153 of 23,366
Here's my take...

First, I'm looking at an LP2 box right now, sitting on my desk.  The edges of the box are NOT grey, it is in fact a lighting artifact.  I wanted to wait to see if other people would catch on to the red/black box thing looking like beats.  No wonder those effin things sold so well, they are visually appealing.  Too bad they sound meh and fall apart.  

Anyway.... You know what I would like to see as a box?  Screw cardboard.  I want lexan.  Make it look like it is in some sort of hermetically sealed container, to go with the mad scientist theme.  Or, take another angle with that... Make it look like stained glass, and make the box a cathedral dedicated to the headphones.  Why put a picture of the headphones on the box, when you can just show how sweet the headphones themselves look directly?  Why copy beats, when you can upstage them?  Who needs a big freaking box?  The point here is that these mofos fold, let people see the elegance of it directly.

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #3,154 of 23,366
Quote:
Here's my take...

First, I'm looking at an LP2 box right now, sitting on my desk.  The edges of the box are NOT grey, it is in fact a lighting artifact.  I wanted to wait to see if other people would catch on to the red/black box thing looking like beats.  No wonder those effin things sold so well, they are visually appealing.  Too bad they sound meh and fall apart.  

Anyway.... You know what I would like to see as a box?  Screw cardboard.  I want lexan.  Make it look like it is in some sort of hermetically sealed container, to go with the mad scientist theme.  Or, take another angle with that... Make it look like stained glass, and make the box a cathedral dedicated to the headphones.  Why put a picture of the headphones on the box, when you can just show how sweet the headphones themselves look directly?  Why copy beats, when you can upstage them?  Who needs a big freaking box?  The point here is that these mofos fold, let people see the elegance of it directly.

Or better yet, a full on hexagonal shaped box made out of brushed aluminium. Although that will massively up the price.

So anyway, some of you liked the idea of brushed steel but didn't like that the one I made was too grey and not contrasting enough.
So here is the definitive, fixed version.

How does it look now? View the full size to see the brushed steel/aluminium effect.

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #3,155 of 23,366
Val,
As silly as it sounds, you should consider the smell of the packaging. I have to admit, out of all the headphones I own, the Monster packaging was the most intoxicating/memorable unboxing experience from the bunch(which I feel was due to the deeply fragrent fresh/wet scent). Comparatively, the V-80's hardshell had the faint "new shoes" odor 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
The orange package looks nice, but not the smaller box. One of the biggest things in marketing is the packaging as it draws attention. 

As you can see, Beats (I'm using them as an example because their marketing is unfortunately superb) have a cool box that appeals to people at the store, lets say Best Buy. It's large, but when you open it you can see that it's size is really un-necessary. 

Microsoft does this too. (Ignore the unrelated product) All you're getting is a stupid little card but the packaging makes it stand out.

TL;DR - A big flashy box really draws attention. Fortunately the headphones look AMAZING, so if you put a nice big picture of them on the front with contrasting colors, you could most likey sell more. IMO, keep the size of the box, if not bigger, and use the new design.

On a side note, the all white case for the M-100s looks a bit awkward, maybe add some more colors too it?

Problem with using big packages is, if you make them too light or oddly balanced, then people will perceive it with cheapness. Beats boxes already have the weight and heavy construct, but obnoxious when compared to the unboxing experience of the small, dense apple iPhone packaging.
It's funny, back when I was lending my friends a few pairs of IEM's, I gave lent him the Miles Davis Tributes, VSonic GR07's(old packaging), and Triple.Fi 10's. I stop by a week later and ask him what he thought of the GR07's; he tells me he hasnt even opened them yet. The packaging felt so cheap that he dismissed them immediately! As it turns out, the 07's were his favorite of the three, lol
Quote:
I think a grey, gunmetal background like I did below looks great. Also with the top and bottom parts a bit more red.

I much perfer this over the brushed metal; I feel it makes the packaging look cheap.

edit:

Quote:

Or better yet, a full on hexagonal shaped box made out of brushed aluminium. Although that will massively up the price.

So anyway, some of you liked the idea of brushed steel but didn't like that the one I made was too grey and not contrasting enough.

How does it look now? View the full size to see the brushed steel/aluminium effect.

I take back what I said my previous comment. Both styles are solid!

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #3,156 of 23,366
This discussion goes literally everywhere now that we're at box design. I believe that the success of M-100s in garnering attention in retail stores will depend wholly on whether or not they are out on a listening station. Get them into a Best Buy out on a listening station and let the headphones speak for themselves, they can do a much better job than packaging can. 

With that in mind, I don't think V-Moda needs to worry too much about the packaging design. The LPs and M-80s have been very successful and V-Moda has a large fan base already. The majority of early M-100 buyers will be people like us on Head-Fi, people who like V-Moda's FB page, and people who already own a V-Moda product. Looking at M-100 buyers who will be completely new to V-Moda, a lot of them will be online buyers who won't be making a decision based on box design at all. The box design will only influence common consumers browsing in retail stores, and like I said, making sure people can get their hands physically on M-100s will play way more of a role than the box. 

That said, a discussion of box design doesn't hurt so while we're on it, I don't see much wrong with the M-80 box. It's classy and subdued, which I think in part define V-Moda. Orange is out of the picture not only because it defies those 2 things but also because it's just random. Is the product at all orange? No. Is V-Moda at all associated with orange? No. Blood red is probably the primary color associated with V-Moda. So orange doesn't make sense. The only box design I like from what I've seen is the red+gunmetal. The combo that I want to see is blood red+gunmetal. Basically take the M-80 box (which is itself basically a LP box with blood red also on top) and make the white part a light gunmetal. In other words, take that red+gunmetal combo, make the red blood red and the gunmetal a little lighter. That would grab your attention enough but still be subdued, and to me whenever I see marketing like that it exudes quality. Being too loud turns me off, being too soft doesn't get my attention. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #3,157 of 23,366
Hey guys so I was wondering what color do you think would be best for the twist ties that hold the cables together in the box?
I was thinking keeping the brushed metal/red theme with one side of the twist tie brushed metal and the other side red.
It would really set off the headphones if the ties were tied in a hexagon to match the ear jewelry cups on the M-100.

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #3,158 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey guys so I was wondering what color do you think would be best for the twist ties that hold the cables together in the box?
I was thinking keeping the brushed metal/red theme with one side of the twist tie brushed metal and the other side red.
It would really set off the headphones if the ties were tied in a hexagon to match the ear jewelry cups on the M-100.

Nice sarcasm ya' got there.

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #3,160 of 23,366
This discussion goes literally everywhere now that we're at box design. I believe that the success of M-100s in garnering attention in retail stores will depend wholly on whether or not they are out on a listening station. Get them into a Best Buy out on a listening station and let the headphones speak for themselves, they can do a much better job than packaging can. 

With that in mind, I don't think V-Moda needs to worry too much about the packaging design. The LPs and M-80s have been very successful and V-Moda has a large fan base already. The majority of early M-100 buyers will be people like us on Head-Fi, people who like V-Moda's FB page, and people who already own a V-Moda product. Looking at M-100 buyers who will be completely new to V-Moda, a lot of them will be online buyers who won't be making a decision based on box design at all. The box design will only influence common consumers browsing in retail stores, and like I said, making sure people can get their hands physically on M-100s will play way more of a role than the box. 

That said, a discussion of box design doesn't hurt so while we're on it, I don't see much wrong with the M-80 box. It's classy and subdued, which I think in part define V-Moda. Orange is out of the picture not only because it defies those 2 things but also because it's just random. Is the product at all orange? No. Is V-Moda at all associated with orange? No. Blood red is probably the primary color associated with V-Moda. So orange doesn't make sense. The only box design I like from what I've seen is the red+gunmetal. The combo that I want to see is blood red+gunmetal. Basically take the M-80 box (which is itself basically a LP box with blood red also on top) and make the white part a light gunmetal. In other words, take that red+gunmetal combo, make the red blood red and the gunmetal a little lighter. That would grab your attention enough but still be subdued, and to me whenever I see marketing like that it exudes quality. Being too loud turns me off, being too soft doesn't get my attention. 

I too think that they should have listening stations, not only would it show off the looks and sound quality but it would also show its durability. Imagine the M-100's looking more or less like they did when they came out of the box next to a pair of beats that are all scratched up or possibly broken.

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #3,162 of 23,366
Quote:

quality... the irony will be lost on most

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #3,163 of 23,366
Quote:

Looks totally awesome. Love it.  Can you apply the brushed metal effect to the red as well?  Make the entire box look metallic xD 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back