V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 11, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #3,091 of 23,366
Nice to hear such a big update from you Val - it's good to know a general time, and even more so that you want them to be as good as possible. Just clarifying, but before, you told me that the PPU's and MPU's will be the same in sound/build correct? Meaning the PPU thing is more of a pre-release for head-fi'ers, and not a "beta" test?

Also - let us know what the colors are, please! These would work best for launch:
  1. Matte Black (A la LP2)
  2. Shadow (A la LP2/M-80)
  3. White (A la M-80 - BUT with gunmetal shields instead of chrome. Original Red text on top. )
  4. And a personal recommendation: White (A la M-80 - BUT with Teal-Colored Shields, and Teal stitched text?)
  • Teal: R: 5 G: 151 B: 151

Let us know what the final color's you've picked are, as well as all the other juicy details!

I Would LOVE to buy a white/gunmetal with the red text on top

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #3,093 of 23,366
Quote:
Kinda like this, except with the VMODA pro style touch :p

In my opinion, while visually interesting, it has a few issues. First, it only really works for white phones. Second, I think it actually detracts from the significance of the V logo/branding.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #3,094 of 23,366
Mmmm, I disagree, I think it could easily be used for black phones as long as there is a reflection, like in this picture. Ideally I think the phones would be smaller comapred to the overall size of the package. The slightly brighter red and black contrast is going to jump off the shelf a lot more than that pale white box with clotted-blood red trim, in my opinion, and when they pick it up and see those sleek headphones reflected on a dark mirror finish...that's going to look tempting as hell if you ask me. It'd make me wanna buy it, I know that much :p
Quote:

In my opinion, while visually interesting, it has a few issues. First, it only really works for white phones. Second, I think it actually detracts from the significance of the V logo/branding.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #3,095 of 23,366
Yes, that looks better to my eyes. Matches the red on the phones better, coordinates the look of the package. Maybe just a shade darker though, and/or with a kind of shadow-fade to it (like you can do with the color menus in Final Fantasy VII...anyone? Anyone? No? 
tongue.gif
) The current color looks just a touch too...lipstick-ish, maybe a touch more green or a touch less blue, and a hair darker, to make it more bold, a bit less feminine (not that females aren't part of the target audience - more just to align with the existing aesthetic of the phones themselves).

Quote:
Seems like many agrees something like this red color on the box (right) would look best(?)

r: 135
g: 11
b: 19

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #3,096 of 23,366
All I know for sure at this point is that I am way too excited to think about anything else but these headphones...

I just want to say thank you to Val for being so open with us for this project, and for offering us so many goodies, on top of listening to all of our differing opinions. So yeah, thanks Val, you're a great guy, and you run a great business!

.... So hurry up and take my money!!

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #3,097 of 23,366
As for detracting from the branding, perhaps the top could be a solid line instead of the reverse V. With only one V on the bottom and the top more nondescript, it would still center the picture on the phones by having the top line (maybe a bit thinner than the bottom), and also draw the attention towards the lower-middle of the package, where the earcups (the most fashionable part, the centerpiece of the design) will be located.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #3,099 of 23,366
Quote:
what do you think about the smaller package concept and using ORANGE...

I think smaller packaging may confuse less informed buyers that the M-100 is smaller or a step down from the LP2.  Packaging may be a situation where bigger is better.  I would also like to see the word "Modophile" on the box with the definition of the word to differenciate the M-100.  You could even keep the same size packaging you have now with a larger tinted transparent plastic box around the M-100 which would match the LP2 Box in size, but make the M-100 look like it was floating inside the plastic case for a futuristic look.  This would also provide additional space for marketing messages.  I'm not sure how this would fly with retailers, but you could say, "A DJ and an audiophile met at a club one night.  9 months later, the M-100 was born."

Based on these two boxes,  I don't see anything that says why the M-100 is worth $100 more than the LP2.  There needs to be a clear distinction ON THE BOX.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #3,100 of 23,366

That's awesome! You get super-forum points. Hopefully we move out of the pre-production buzz phase soon enough that you don't need to update it like a job, lol.

Here's a quick MSpaint edit of how it would look like roughly <3 :p

It would be important that the red would be dull & dark enough though as it would look odd if it became too shiny & bright looking.

Just want to point out with the Gold and Black prototype that was shown earlier DID have matching bands around the earcups. It looked cohesive and very nice.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #3,101 of 23,366
Quote:
RETAIL PLAN OK - I've been meeting with a lot of retail stores on ideas for launch in stores, everybody wants M-100.  Retail stores make it more complicated. But these are great stores that love V-MODA so I feel we should choose one and our community can show we have purchasing strength to retail!

Val,
If Best Buy is in the mix, I believe they are the best choice.  While Apple stores may have higher traffic per unit, a significant number of headphone prospects go through Best Buy every day.  I have seen them dramatically increase their in-store demo options for headphones and you will win most A/B battles there.  Plus, Best Buy has one of the most highly read inserts in the Sunday paper and I'm sure they would promote V-Moda heavily in their circular.  I'm guessing they print about 50 million per week?

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #3,102 of 23,366
Heres a question I dont think has been asked before. Will features from the M-100 trickle down onto the rest of the V-Moda lineup. for example will there be a revision of the lp2 with the hinge. Or perhaps you learned a few tricks while tuning the drivers that may be passed onto the M-80. Not that these are things that need to be done just curious.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #3,103 of 23,366
Quote:
Heres a question I dont think has been asked before. Will features from the M-100 trickle down onto the rest of the V-Moda lineup. for example will there be a revision of the lp2 with the hinge. Or perhaps you learned a few tricks while tuning the drivers that may be passed onto the M-80. Not that these are things that need to be done just curious.

IMO, the existing products won't change, but there no reason why an LP3, for example, couldn't have the M-100's hinge.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #3,104 of 23,366
I wonder which retailer it will be.  There was a mention several pages back about Game Stop being a key player in all of this.  I would love to see Best Buy carry them....and then do it right.  Set up a display and let people hear these things.  Put them proudly next to the Beats display! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back