V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jun 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #2,041 of 23,366
yeah I'm kind of worried about that too. I can sacrifice accessories for a signed headphone but sacrificing sound and build is a definite no-no. Anybody have experience with the pre production m-80s?

Yeah I'd agree with you there, I could handle some minor aesthetic differences from the final product but if it lacked features or sound quality that the normal production ones had, I would definitely wait.

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #2,044 of 23,366
Quote:
I think instead of just about 100 pre production m100s, there should be a vmoda m100 first edition in a limited edition white and TEAL color. That way everyone who wants them can get them.

FIXED.

Anyway, not all 100 will be sold - but since they will be White x Blue/Teal anyway, I think you'll be fine on that front.

Also, what's more valuable than a SIGNED/AUTOGRAPHED case/pair of cans? By a CEO/DJ nonetheless?

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #2,045 of 23,366
I could do a PP model (only because they all want it hahahaha)

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #2,047 of 23,366
[COLOR=008080]FIXED.[/COLOR]

Anyway, not all 100 will be sold - but since they will be White x Blue/Teal anyway, I think you'll be fine on that front.

Also, what's more valuable than a SIGNED/AUTOGRAPHED case/pair of cans? By a CEO/DJ nonetheless?

Well, teal isn't confirmed. For me, teal/white makes me think of Florida for some reason, and kind of too flashy for the US Northeast. At least for me; I wasn't comfortable bringing my purple AD700s with me on project days in GD class. Doesn't matter to people who will customize like me, but maybe teal is also better offered as a custom color. Was two shield colors included OOB confirmed anyway?

I also agree that Val's signature would add value... solidifying the cult following that is already starting to form around V-MODA's hifi products. Val's signature would make this limited run like a piece of history in V-MODA's rising, quite cool. Especially since, you know, we've all interacted with him and respect him.

And wow, no I did NOT notice we breached 2000 posts! Redonkulous! :)

Edit: I also wanted to add, I think these are positioned to directly compete with the highest Beat model (studio pro?) that also costs about $300. Reviews of the M-80 put it mainly against the Sennheiser HD25-II (of which I think the Amperior is just a variant, right?) and the Beyer dt1350. While a couple reviews on this site wrote that the treble of the M-80 didn't best the others, they found the m80 to be the most fun (and often versatile) of them all to listen to. Audio Technica's M50 are closed full sized cans like V-MODA's M-100, but I think they're in a different league. Plus, I wouldn't feel encumbered or as if I look like a goof walking around and using the M-100 portably. I don't really want to call a lot of attention to myself on public transit.

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #2,048 of 23,366
Quote:
Exactly my point. Is there a point in a $300 bassy can? I mean, I'm somewhat of a basshead, and when I'm looking for bass, I don't have to spend $300 to get it (ie. Audio-Techncia CKS77, Skullcandy Hesh 2, House of Marley Exodus) I mean, look at the Phillips Fidelio L1, bassy can at $300 that can be made flat with an EQ. Sounds nice, but at $300, it seems kind of a waste.

Plus, with today's compressed music files, youtube, netflix and rolled-off highs, are there large benefits of the clarity that the M100 is supposed to offer? Why would I want to pay $300 for a can with rolled-off treble? The CKS77 is a third of the price and has good extension in the treble, by comparison.

You are assuming "bassy can" and "rolled-off highs".  To be fair to the M-100, we need to actually hear them first before passing judgement.  I wish I could find a $100 headphone that would satisfy my personal taste.  My hope is that the M-100 will meet that need at $300.

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #2,050 of 23,366
Quote:
XD
So did you decide to go with the M100 now rather than waiting?

Nope haven't decided on anything! if Val gives em the option I'll make my decision then.

Crap.... exam in 6 hours...

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #2,051 of 23,366
Quote:
Well, teal isn't confirmed. For me, teal/white makes me think of Florida for some reason, and kind of too flashy for the US Northeast. At least for me; I wasn't comfortable bringing my purple AD700s with me on project days in GD class. Doesn't matter to people who will customize like me, but maybe teal is also better offered as a custom color. Was two shield colors included OOB confirmed anyway?

Teal is a more calming color - especially if its a brushed/matte teal, rather than gloss. Purple (and pink by extension) are more attention grabbing, especially the AD700's shade of Purple. Anyway, we may not have too much of a choice with the Pre-Production models, they'll come how they come I guess - I just hope that "how they come" is white, with gunmetal and teal shields, with a gray/teal cable. 

Also, regarding the two shields, didn't the LP1/2 come with two? Or was I mistaken on that?

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #2,052 of 23,366
Teal is a more calming color - especially if its a brushed/matte teal, rather than gloss. Purple (and pink by extension) are more attention grabbing, especially the AD700's shade of Purple. Anyway, we may not have too much of a choice with the Pre-Production models, they'll come how they come I guess - I just hope that "how they come" is white, with gunmetal and teal shields, with a gray/teal cable. 

Also, regarding the two shields, didn't the LP1/2 come with two? Or was I mistaken on that?

Calming is good, and the brushed/matte finish is also more subtle, but I just picture my LP in bold white with teal accents and I just know it'd stand out. Maybe in real life... *shrug* It could grow on me, but I feel right now like I'd be forcing a statement or something.

My Phantom LP just came with the chrome shield which actually surprised me by being less "shiny" and loud but more "reflective," and I think they're cool. Another case of the "in-person" experience.

Edit: LOL WiR3D!
Good luck, the thread and probably a few interesting posts will be a treat at the end of the day tomorrow!

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #2,053 of 23,366
Quote:
PS - I did get permission to sell some of the pre-production units and I'll sign them. but we're working on the details, so please don't ask questions about how it'll work yet as we must -LASER- focus on finishing up every little detail.  Production of hardware isn't like software, unfortunately there isn't a "hardware update" button! Thanks for your understanding.   

Val,

Not that this wasn't planned already, but....as I think I was the first on Head-fi to suggest offering signed white M-100s in post #1789 and reiterated in post #1951, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to be included in the pre-production offering.  (If someone else in the forum suggested this first and I didn't see that post, my apologies.) 

Signed or unsigned; gunmetal or white, I am LASER focused on owning them!

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #2,054 of 23,366
Quote:
yeah I'm kind of worried about that too. I can sacrifice accessories for a signed headphone but sacrificing sound and build is a definite no-no.

No worries here.  Owning the pre-production model would only accentuate the mystique of the M-100.  Knowing it was the predecessor to the Godzilla of headphones would subconciously turn the slightest flawed sound into orchestral brilliance.  I'd actually like a pair that was used through the rigors of testing and had the battle scars to prove it.  Like maybe Val snapped one night and chucked 'em at his cave wall leaving a nasty rash on the earcup or open wound on the headband (cause I know they aren't gonna break).  It would be like owning the ink used to sign the Declaration of Independence.  I know Val said no questions regarding it, but wondering what the cost would be for them.  Same as the full run M-100...more?....less?

edit: ...Just as long as they aren't teal.  That is a color best reserved for Gran-mama's quilt at the foot of her bed.

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #2,055 of 23,366
Quote:

No worries here.  Owning the pre-production model would only accentuate the mystique of the M-100.  Knowing it was predecessor to the Godzilla of headphones would subconciously turn the slightest flawed sound into orchestral brilliance.  I'd actually like a pair that was used through the rigors of testing and had the battle scars to prove it.  Like maybe Val snapped one night and chucked 'em at his cave wall leaving a nasty rash on the earcup or open wound on the headband(cause I know they aren't gonna break).  It would be like owning the ink used to sign the Declaration of Independence. 

Maybe there can be a battle damaged version done like this.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=29571#

Users who are viewing this thread

Back