V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jun 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #2,026 of 23,366
Quote:

PS - I did get permission to sell some of the pre-production units and I'll sign them. but we're working on the details, so please don't ask questions about how it'll work yet as we must -LASER- focus on finishing up every little detail.  Production of hardware isn't like software, unfortunately there isn't a "hardware update" button! Thanks for your understanding.   

YES! Sign me up for one!

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #2,028 of 23,366
Very interested in the pre-production units.  Sign me up please.

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #2,030 of 23,366
^^
What they said.

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #2,031 of 23,366
Quote:
Val, I think I speak from the whole behalf of head-fi community when I say I truly appriciate all the hard work you're putting into this project and sharing info with us, it's something you can't experience from 99% of other companies, I appriciate how you take your time to  answer questions, ask for our feedback on things etc. I find it very interesting to read about what's going on with the M100 project, keep it up!

The world needs more companies like yours! The customer service is also topnotch and extremely fast from my experience! :) 

PS, very intrigued about the pre-production units. :p

+1. I wish more companies were like this.

Jun 21, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #2,032 of 23,366
Perhaps tomorrow you can let us know how we will be able to get the pre-production models.  Pretty excited about that. 

Quote:
PS - I did get permission to sell some of the pre-production units and I'll sign them. but we're working on the details, so please don't ask questions about how it'll work yet as we must -LASER- focus on finishing up every little detail.  Production of hardware isn't like software, unfortunately there isn't a "hardware update" button! Thanks for your understanding.   

Jun 21, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #2,033 of 23,366
They will be the same quality as the full production-run ones, right? If not, I may want to wait - but owning a signed pair/case would be amazing too..

AHHH whatever, sign me up anyway! 
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #2,034 of 23,366
Quote:
They will be the same quality as the full production-run ones, right? If not, I may want to wait - but owning a signed pair/case would be amazing too..

AHHH whatever, sign me up anyway! 
biggrin.gif

yeah I'm kind of worried about that too. I can sacrifice accessories for a signed headphone but sacrificing sound and build is a definite no-no. Anybody have experience with the pre production m-80s?

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #2,036 of 23,366
^ Lol I bet this first production run will already have 100 people trying to reserve one before Val wakes up! I wonder what color scheme is going with the white... Brushed aluminum like the M-80, one (or two?) of the colors Val mentioned for cables, Val's "Tactical scheme" hint (gunmetal? Which I think is very nice), or Teal like four or so members here said would be cool? Guess it doesn't matter much to me, I'm eventually getting custom shields.

These first 100 pre-MP units may go to magazines and prominent reviewers, but yeah it would be really cool if some regular-Joe Head-Fi'ers could get their hands on some. Head-time impressions would be great, should be a requirement for people that purchase this first batch :wink:

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #2,037 of 23,366
Quote:
^ Lol I bet this first production run will already have 100 people trying to reserve one before Val wakes up! I wonder what color scheme is going with the white... Brushed aluminum like the M-80, one (or two?) of the colors Val mentioned for cables, Val's "Tactical scheme" hint (gunmetal? Which I think is very nice), or Teal like four or so members here said would be cool? Guess it doesn't matter much to me, I'm eventually getting custom shields.
These first 100 pre-MP units may go to magazines and prominent reviewers, but yeah it would be really cool if some regular-Joe Head-Fi'ers could get their hands on some. Head-time impressions would be great, should be a requirement for people that purchase this first batch
wink.gif

Well, Val has been quoted saying that White x Blue is a color scheme he'd be interested in, as well as either a "Shadow" black, or Black x Red scheme. But he has said that the first 100 will be made in white, so I am hoping it's the WxB.

Plus, him wanting blue, and us Head-Fi'ers agreeing on 'Teal' as the shade of Blue we want, I think it's a big contender for what we'll get. I also think you're pretty close, when you say that "Tactical" may refer to the "Gunmetal" shields, and if so, I'm a happy camper. As I've said before, White V-MODA M100's + Teal Ear Shields + Gunmetal Ear Shields = best day ever for me

If I end up getting a "Pre-Production" signed model, I'll definitely promise to do a review, comparing them to my ATH-M50's, as they seem to be their biggest rivals currently. Hell, I'd probably do a huge in-depth review comparing the two anyway. The Audio Technica ATH-M50 was/still is, the most recommended and highly-reviewed headphone here, due to its versatility - both genre-wise, and physical build-wise. The M100 has already reached FOTM status, for the past few months, for more than a few people - now we just need some reviews to see if it has what it takes to usurp the previous 'king'(s).

PS: Anyone realize that we've surpassed 2,000 posts on this thread?

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #2,038 of 23,366
Quote:

Having auditioned dozens of headphones in the past several months to avoid repeating my previous mistake of wasting valuable $$$ on rapper cans, I respectfully disagree.  The following statement is, IMHO: many of the audiophile headphones in the $300 or below range that are relatively neutral seemed to lack bass presence; those with powerful bass struck me as dark or veiled; flashy rapper cans sounded just okay, but not worth the price; others with strong highs leaned toward sibilant; those with solid all-around sound did not seem suitable for portable use. Of course, I am generalizing and there are some really good headphones out there, but very few that I would want to own.

Based on the sound of the M-80 and LP2, with the M-100 purportedly fusing the best of both with a rugged foldable design, I believe these could hit the "sweet spot" as a fantastic headphone for both portable and home listening, for nearly every genre of music.  That is why I believe there seems to be as much anticipation for the M-100 as I have ever seen for a headphone at any price.

Exactly my point. Is there a point in a $300 bassy can? I mean, I'm somewhat of a basshead, and when I'm looking for bass, I don't have to spend $300 to get it (ie. Audio-Techncia CKS77, Skullcandy Hesh 2, House of Marley Exodus) I mean, look at the Phillips Fidelio L1, bassy can at $300 that can be made flat with an EQ. Sounds nice, but at $300, it seems kind of a waste.

Plus, with today's compressed music files, youtube, netflix and rolled-off highs, are there large benefits of the clarity that the M100 is supposed to offer? Why would I want to pay $300 for a can with rolled-off treble? The CKS77 is a third of the price and has good extension in the treble, by comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back