V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
May 31, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #1,591 of 23,366
Oh man I just read this post from val and I really do hope its still true post #660 

Quote:
Right now the M-100 prototype sounds just like that - its more like a "MLP2-100" with extra ultra-extended treble (its a new driver). It is audiophile mids+highs with LP2ish bass, it is quite intriguing on what to do next...  Only me, Jude and my #2 has heard it so far...I absolutely LOVE it, it is by far my fav headphone I've ever heard in my life... but I feel those looking for an M-80 sound may be a tad disappointed as it's bass is still a bit low-end shaking vs as as detailed as M-80.  Also, by virtue of its larger drivers vs M-80 the M-100 will perform better amped up.  Therefore, the wait will have to continue...  I need a Head-Fi focus group, stat!  Is there a big enough "medium-bass-head + extended treblehead club"? 
-v

Man this sounds perfect...I do hope its more bass than the M80 and a tad less than LP2 from everything that I have been reading! This would be my perfect all around headphone from home use to on the street, with that great design and lowish profile...but I do hope the bass isnt tamed down as this post was on 12/24/11 
frown.gif

I think there should be two versions tuned slightly differently, one with slightly more bass and one with slightly less, but I can see how this would be tough being a relatively new/smallish company as your production cost would shoot up but if its at all possible I think that would be an optimal solution rather than try to cater to both markets IMO...but no matter how the M100 comes out I think it will be great! 

May 31, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #1,593 of 23,366
What can we expect the soundstage to be like? I've heard that the V-Moda lp2 and m80 tend to have a larger soundstage then most closed cans due to the semi-open nature of the vents on their sides.

Will it have a Creative Aurvana Live! (Denon D1001) type of soundstage? Maybe something even approaching or surpassing the Denon D2000?

May 31, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #1,594 of 23,366
Quote:
What can we expect the soundstage to be like? I've heard that the V-Moda lp2 and m80 tend to have a larger soundstage then most closed cans due to the semi-open nature of the vents on their sides.
Will it have a Creative Aurvana Live! (Denon D1001) type of soundstage? Maybe something even approaching or surpassing the Denon D2000?

Obviously, I can't speak for the M-100, but the M-80 is about average. Not closed-in, but not spacious either.

May 31, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #1,595 of 23,366
Quote:
Oh man I just read this post from val and I really do hope its still true post #660 

Quote:
Man this sounds perfect...I do hope its more bass than the M80 and a tad less than LP2 from everything that I have been reading! This would be my perfect all around headphone from home use to on the street, with that great design and lowish profile...but I do hope the bass isnt tamed down as this post was on 12/24/11 
frown.gif

I think there should be two versions tuned slightly differently, one with slightly more bass and one with slightly less, but I can see how this would be tough being a relatively new/smallish company as your production cost would shoot up but if its at all possible I think that would be an optimal solution rather than try to cater to both markets IMO...but no matter how the M100 comes out I think it will be great! 

Based on everything I have read over the past several weeks, I think the M-100 sound has evolved in a good way from this post months ago (I initially thought this was a current post from Val).  The description in post #660 sounds more like an Ultrasone PRO 900 which would be a huge step backward, IMO, for V-Moda's flagship headphone.  I am anticipating, again based on everything I have read to date and IMHO, the M-100 will provide tighter bass with great punch that is just slightly less prominent than the LP2 with cleaner, slightly more forward mids than the M-80 and highs that extend slightly beyond the M-80 without being described as bright, harsh or sibilant, all with a bigger soundstage based on the new 50mm drivers.  All of this will be wrapped in a spectacular circumaural masterpiece of design and engineering, at least that is what I am dreaming about.   For me, this would be the perfect headphone.  Val is a master marketer as I am salivating for the M-100 the way Homer Simpson salivates for a donut.

May 31, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #1,596 of 23,366
Quote:

Quote:
frown.gif

I really don't want near lp2 type bass... I want powerful bass, not just something that moves air. I don't mind the extra bass tilt, but I want it done properly I would prefer a step toward the ATH-PRO700MKII bass as opposed to lp2/lp or Beats Studio Bass. Whether you like it or not the bass on the Studios is similar to the Lps and lp2s

May 31, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #1,597 of 23,366
Quote:

Quote:
Hmm, MP4nation used to have it for around $139 but I can't find their listing on Amazon or their main site. I remember there was a huge price difference between their price and Amazon's. B&H has it for $169.95 though.

Oh gosh. Yeah Amazon has them for really expensive. The seller can make quite a pretty penny by selling at that price...
In Canada its still about 139.99~149.99$
They're still short in stock so I guess that's what justifies the premium on Amazon. Better wait for more stock and get it from the Micca store (that's where a lot of the people got theirs from) or something. They previously used twitter or facebook to announce re-stock availability, if I remember well, so it may be a good idea to follow them if you would like to buy from them too.

But man, love the folded look of the M-100! The hinges look fine to me, at least from the pictures.

May 31, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #1,598 of 23,366
as stated by currawong

Venturecraft and V-MODA

Now the cat is out of the bag, the VAMP is being made by Venturecraft. The Tokyo guys have started to take a big interest in OPAMP rolling the GO-DAP and the timing couldn't be more appropriate. Val personally selected the ones he liked for the design. I didn't get a chance to try it unfortunately, though I'd been meaning to. What I did notice was their very strong enthusiasm to make not just a good product, but an excellent one, just as Val is. I only tried the M-100s (with their snappy folding design and case) briefly. The best I can say is "full-sized M80s". I'm curious to see if they are more resolving than the M80s as I'm the kind of guy who expects better genuine sound quality when the price goes up. 

Thanks to the guys from both companies for hanging out with us during and after the show and shouting us dinner.

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #1,599 of 23,366
Quote:
Based on everything I have read over the past several weeks, I think the M-100 sound has evolved in a good way from this post months ago (I initially thought this was a current post from Val).  The description in post #660 sounds more like an Ultrasone PRO 900 which would be a huge step backward, IMO, for V-Moda's flagship headphone.  I am anticipating, again based on everything I have read to date and IMHO, the M-100 will provide tighter bass with great punch that is just slightly less prominent than the LP2 with cleaner, slightly more forward mids than the M-80 and highs that extend slightly beyond the M-80 without being described as bright, harsh or sibilant, all with a bigger soundstage based on the new 50mm drivers.  All of this will be wrapped in a spectacular circumaural masterpiece of design and engineering, at least that is what I am dreaming about.   For me, this would be the perfect headphone.  Val is a master marketer as I am salivating for the M-100 the way Homer Simpson salivates for a donut.

Well this sounds perfect to me...I really do hope the sub bass will be good (at least as prominent as the mid bass and extends far) as this is an area where portables fall short IMO 

Im looking forward this very much! 

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #1,600 of 23,366
Quote:

Well this sounds perfect to me...I really do hope the sub bass will be good (at least as prominent as the mid bass and extends far) as this is an area where portables fall short IMO 

Im looking forward this very much! 

I agree about the sub bass.  I had a pair of M-Audio Q40s that I returned due to sibilance, but they had the most incredible sub bass I ever heard on Pitbull's song Pause from Planet Pit.  (Great reference song for sub bass).

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #1,601 of 23,366
Quote:
as stated by currawong

Venturecraft and V-MODA

Now the cat is out of the bag, the VAMP is being made by Venturecraft. The Tokyo guys have started to take a big interest in OPAMP rolling the GO-DAP and the timing couldn't be more appropriate. Val personally selected the ones he liked for the design. I didn't get a chance to try it unfortunately, though I'd been meaning to. What I did notice was their very strong enthusiasm to make not just a good product, but an excellent one, just as Val is. I only tried the M-100s (with their snappy folding design and case) briefly. The best I can say is "full-sized M80s". I'm curious to see if they are more resolving than the M80s as I'm the kind of guy who expects better genuine sound quality when the price goes up. 

Thanks to the guys from both companies for hanging out with us during and after the show and shouting us dinner.

I trust currawong, and if he says they are like "full-sized M80's", I'm closer to getting a pair than I have been yet. SaWeet! 

Jun 1, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #1,602 of 23,366
Hey cool you also live in West Palm??? I thought I was the only audiophile here let alone who's favorite company is V-Moda!!! Ye this is kinda creepy but it's really nice to know fellow audiophiles are in the area xD

Jun 1, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #1,604 of 23,366
Lol well I know you didn't mean me. Hopefully, with durable, very portable, and fashion acceptable/improving headphones like this one, we audiophiles can get out more wearing our hearts out on our ears :wink:

I am amazed at how it seems the music majors at my college don't seem to care about listening quality... I'm just a recent art student who loves to fill in the hours with fun music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back