V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Apr 13, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #1,066 of 23,366
Awesome. I'll be living in Lost Angels (LA) then. Maybe I'll get an invite to a M-100 release party?!

Quote:

In the spirit of making this the first "semi-open" source headphone, here is the latest M-100 MILESTONE SCHEDULE... 

2 May Tooling complete
18 May Engineering pilot (10pcs)
24 May  Reliability test 
5 Jun   Deadline of packaging development
20 Jun  Manufacturing pilot (100pcs)
30 Jun  Mass production shipment
First week of July - BLISS!

let's cross(fade) fingers that reliability tests pass, even if we have one hiccup I think it will be minor since we have done many of the tests already on the individual components.   In the past, some reliability problems delay the product many months and require retooling.  This is why LP took nearly 5 years and M-80 6 years.  Since durability is so important, headphones developed like fashion is actually a VERY VERY VERY bad concept I learned many years ago.  Headphones should be developed more like cars or even  spaceships, they require lots of track tests! They need time, and companies developing products quickly is what is killing the trust in the industry.  I view the DJ core of V-MODA as our "formula 1" testing that accelerates wear and tear in real-life environments of people who depend on headphones for a profession.  Then, over time, we bring that technology to the consumers and pros. 

For instance, Erick and I found an issue on M-100 a few months ago with the cable mechanism/plug combo after heavy DJing for a few weeks, it would spin around and was harder to take out.  Yet oddly it passed in our normal lab tests.  We still cannot figure out a good solution for stolen headphones, RFID + CUSTOMS?!

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #1,067 of 23,366

Quote:

In the spirit of making this the first "semi-open" source headphone, here is the latest M-100 MILESTONE SCHEDULE... 

2 May Tooling complete
24 May  Reliability test 

let's cross(fade) fingers that reliability tests pass, even if we have one hiccup I think it will be minor since we have done many of the tests already on the individual components.   In the past, some reliability problems delay the product many months and require retooling.  This is why LP took nearly 5 years and M-80 6 years.  Since durability is so important, headphones developed like fashion is actually a VERY VERY VERY bad concept I learned many years ago.  Headphones should be developed more like cars or even  spaceships, they require lots of track tests! They need time, and companies developing products quickly is what is killing the trust in the industry.  I view the DJ core of V-MODA as our "formula 1" testing that accelerates wear and tear in real-life environments of people who depend on headphones for a profession.  Then, over time, we bring that technology to the consumers and pros. 

For instance, Erick and I found an issue on M-100 a few months ago with the cable mechanism/plug combo after heavy DJing for a few weeks, it would spin around and was harder to take out.  Yet oddly it passed in our normal lab tests.  We still cannot figure out a good solution for stolen headphones, RFID + CUSTOMS?!

So most likely late June will be the preorder time if it passes all the tests? I cannot wait to put all my money down on this! Also an RFID option would be interesting for stolen ones. Some may want it while others may not (some are not open on the whole RFID thing, paranoia, etc.) Plus RFID technology has not advanced in many areas as surprising as it may seem.

That said NFC Technology is getting quite popular now, unique ID within the NFC behind one of the shields? I can look more into this for you if you want, Tech is my bread and butter of interests so I am always on the edge when it comes to new tech including ID and anti-theft tech.
Quote:
Ooo...who gets to pilot :D!?

I...I would so want to!

I wonder how many "pilots" are out there now?

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #1,068 of 23,366
Anyone know if V-Moda is going to do another reviewer program for any of their new cans that might come out in the near future?  I'd like to start writing something very flattering to Val soon to bribe my way onto that list 

Apr 13, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #1,069 of 23,366
haha agreed i would as well. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #1,070 of 23,366

Quote:
"Rogue" color scheme was nice for LPs, maybe slightly too flashy/blingy for my taste (Shadow theme is 100% to my taste) but I know some people love it 

What about matte black instead of glossy in above config?

I LOVE THESE...they are the ones that I own.  Matt finish would be cool as well, and I would like to see grey incorporated as a base color.

Apr 13, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #1,071 of 23,366

Ah can't wait! In fact I ordered a pair of M-80s for my girlfriend in anticipation.

The white with blue detailing looks SO DOPE. It'd be a toss-up between that and shadow colour scheme. Kudos to whoever said wine red on black, couldn't agree more; class class class. 

White with the grey detailing is great, but I feel it is suited to more of a larger headphone, like those massive panasonic ones, seems a bit 'science lab' for the sleek LP look.

Apr 13, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #1,072 of 23,366

Quote:

2 May Tooling complete
24 May  Reliability test 

Thanks for the update!

So . . . far . . . away . . . 

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #1,074 of 23,366

that's what I'm talking about!!!
Quote:
What about a Cranberry color?

I'm also going to break a pair of cheap headphones i have for the recycle promo. lol

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #1,077 of 23,366
my crossfade lp parcel will reach within 1week 
guess i will be having bad time breaking it in order to join the promo contest 
confused_face.gif

jk :D will definitely luv it
guess i have to save up and get m100 before i get enlist into army

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #1,079 of 23,366

Quote:
Will the quick release feature still be included with the M-100s? On most folding headphones that I've seen, they give way when dropped and fold up.

Yes... "eject" feature is there.  Adding the hinge is semi-against my philosophy of less-is-more for durability, but I think we finally have a solution.  I'm VERY rough on headphones, so if its good enough for me...

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #1,080 of 23,366
When are these going to be released? Because my B-day is coming up and was wondering what to get 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back