V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 14, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #22,891 of 23,366

Can I ask what amp you use with the PM3s?

The reason is that my experience is completely different! I own both PM3 and M100 and whilst I don't find the overall sound signature completely different, I do find the M100 has much more low bass than the PM3. Not even in the same league.

I am using an Oppo HA2 and a FiiO E12, but have also tried them on some home amps.

First, I was answering another guy's question.
Second, I don't have a PM-3 yet but my research tells me that this will be my next headphone purchase.
Third, when I do get the PM-3, I will probably get the HA-2SE.

I own m100 and i like it alot,

i tried pm3 from a friend but only about an hour or something ..

First both of them are very efficient and for me they needed no amping, tried them from my x5 , zx2 and even from an iphone and they all sounded good.

from memory i didn't think they are quite alike, for me the m100 is more of a V signature, but the pm3 was more of a neutral and a bit flat in your face presentation, they sounded cleaner then m100 but the sound stage was very narrow on the pm3 and that was my only problem i guess.

i don't think the pm3 will ever achieve bass of m100.

same as the idea that sz2000 remains the king of bass, but the overall sound quality i don't find it in the league of the m100.

For me m100 is the first step of bassier headphones with very nice quality tending to audiophile direction, if you agree with the term.

thats my opinion, anybody is welcome to disagree though :D

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #22,892 of 23,366

If you think the sub-bass is impressive on the M-100 now, I've created a design that improves sub-bass and applied it the M-100/Crossfade Wireless design with an impermanent physical modification. :wink:

I'm interested in that. Can you share with us what the modification is?

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #22,895 of 23,366
He's been yapping about this improvement for weeks and never specifying so it's not gonna happen now. Don't get your hopes up. (Tho it could have been another user trying to pimp his modification previously as I'm too lazy to look)

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #22,896 of 23,366
Has anyone heard of the M-100 Aira model? Link: https://www.roland.com/global/products/m-100_aira/

They appear to be the regular M-100 but with XL pads (and a larger case + longer cable). Google isn't really helpful with this model whether there have been any other changes. I'm particularly interested if their sound is the same as the regular M-100. Some people claim they sound different and others say they're the same.

XL pads cannot be found in Europe so I've been thinking of getting this Aira model instead.

Dec 15, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #22,897 of 23,366
Has anyone heard of the M-100 Aira model? Link: https://www.roland.com/global/products/m-100_aira/

They appear to be the regular M-100 but with XL pads (and a larger case + longer cable). Google isn't really helpful with this model whether there have been any other changes. I'm particularly interested if their sound is the same as the regular M-100. Some people claim they sound different and others say they're the same.

XL pads cannot be found in Europe so I've been thinking of getting this Aira model instead.

To my understanding the Aira is a special edition M-100 that released near the announcement of V-MODA being acquired by Roland.

Besides the changes you noted it's the exact same M-100 you would get buying the normal version.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #22,899 of 23,366

To my understanding the Aira is a special edition M-100 that released near the announcement of V-MODA being acquired by Roland.

Besides the changes you noted it's the exact same M-100 you would get buying the normal version.

Damn, I thought they existed only in fiction but I found at least one seller:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1217654-REG/roland_m_100_aira_m_100_aira_headphones.html/?gclid=CjwKEAiAm8nCBRD7xLj-2aWFyz8SJAAQNalaWOj7z8iE9Dh9TGwuW63RghVhMY503rEhpi1Y0oEHIRoCUr_w_wcB&c3nid=98&c3ch=CSE

From what I've gathered sound tuning may also be different on the AIRA model.

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #22,900 of 23,366
I own m100 and i like it alot,

i tried pm3 from a friend but only about an hour or something ..

First both of them are very efficient and for me they needed no amping, tried them from my x5 , zx2 and even from an iphone and they all sounded good.

from memory i didn't think they are quite alike, for me the m100 is more of a V signature, but the pm3 was more of a neutral and a bit flat in your face presentation, they sounded cleaner then m100 but the sound stage was very narrow on the pm3 and that was my only problem i guess.

i don't think the pm3 will ever achieve bass of m100.

same as the idea that sz2000 remains the king of bass, but the overall sound quality i don't find it in the league of the m100.

For me m100 is the first step of bassier headphones with very nice quality tending to audiophile direction, if you agree with the term.

thats my opinion, anybody is welcome to disagree though :D

I own all three and that is exactly in line with how I find them. M100 will always get the most use as they are the most portable and have the best compromise in SQ of the three for me, but all get a fair amount of use.

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #22,901 of 23,366

Thanks for the reply, that is reassuring but things like MICHAELSD posted make them feel like a risky buy. I wonder why there is almost zero info about them... Now that I found out that XL pads can indeed be found in Europe I might go on the safe side and get the regular M-100 model instead. I'd like the shorter cable and smaller case of the normal version.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1217654-REG/roland_m_100_aira_m_100_aira_headphones.html/?gclid=CjwKEAiAm8nCBRD7xLj-2aWFyz8SJAAQNalaWOj7z8iE9Dh9TGwuW63RghVhMY503rEhpi1Y0oEHIRoCUr_w_wcB&c3nid=98&c3ch=CSE

The Aira model is pretty easy to get in Europe (e.g. Amazon and other sites as well).

Thanks for the tip! I was unable to find them anywhere but in the US and I don't feel like dealing with customs.

Can anyone chime in if the XL pads can be used with the regular included case? Google gives conflicting info on that as well, some say you risk breaking them and others say they fit just fine.

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #22,902 of 23,366

Thanks for the reply, that is reassuring but things like MICHAELSD posted make them feel like a risky buy. I wonder why there is almost zero info about them... Now that I found out that XL pads can indeed be found in Europe I might go on the safe side and get the regular M-100 model instead. I'd like the shorter cable and smaller case of the normal version.

The Aira model is pretty easy to get in Europe (e.g. Amazon and other sites as well).

Thanks for the tip! I was unable to find them anywhere but in the US and I don't feel like dealing with customs.

Can anyone chime in if the XL pads can be used with the regular included case? Google gives conflicting info on that as well, some say you risk breaking them and others say they fit just fine.

Dec 16, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #22,903 of 23,366

I have XL pads on mine they fit fine. It's a little tighter than usual, but nothing that will damage the case or the headphones.

Dec 16, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #22,904 of 23,366

From what you've gathered from where? The frequency response, 5Hz-30kHz, is the same. If it sounds any different than the stock M-100 it's probably due to the XL pads being installed instead of the stock pads. In the announcement video for Roland acquiring V-MODA either Val or the CEO of Roland says that the M-100 was Roland's top headphone pick for producing with their digital synthesizers. It wouldn't make much sense to claim that and then release a specially tuned Aira branded M-100, the same name used for their synthesizers, and then never advertise the thing as a special M-100.

V-MODA also has a history of releasing special editions and colors of their headphones and not advertising them. There's the True Blood variant of the M-80, the V-80 which I own, and also the Phantom Chrome M-100 that until recently was a Microsoft Store exclusive. Even V-MODA's own website doesn't carry the Phantom Chrome or Aira models.

Dec 16, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #22,905 of 23,366
I recently replaced the stock pads with XL pads on my m100s

After reading reviews of the XL pads and sonic improvements
they often provide (I was hoping for a slightly better soundstage and
slight more forward mids), I was disappointed that for me with the XL pads
I lost way too much bass and a find the treble harsh with
the XL pads.

I am not sure why the m100s with XL pads sound this way for me.
They seem to fit well and I think I am getting a good seal.

I felt the stock pads fit well too.

Anyone have a similar experience?
Any ideas on why the sound changed so much for me?
And other than going back to the stock pads any suggestions?

Thanks
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back