V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 6, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #22,846 of 23,366
Any V-Moda alternatives with deep rumbling bass for immersive games (single-player only) and movies?
Desirable higher frequency roll-off (due to sensitivity to sibilance).
It must be closed-back, over-ear, lightweight and comfortable (V-Moda with stock pads is not enough comfortable for me, with XL pads - OK).
I've tried Sony MDR Z7 and JVC SZ2000 - too heavy & bulky on head.
Denon D5000 - not very comfy and sibilant.

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #22,847 of 23,366
Any V-Moda alternatives with deep rumbling bass for immersive games (single-player only) and movies?
It must be closed-back, over-ear, lightweight and comfortable (V-Moda with stock pads is not enough comfortable for me, with XL pads - OK).

Maybe give the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 a try.

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #22,849 of 23,366
The v1 were by no means bass monsters... are v2 much better in that regard?
I'm after really punchy bass for explosions, growls, crashing sounds, etc.

Then forget it. You won't find that with any Sennheiser.

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #22,850 of 23,366

Haven't heard or read about anything that would full fill the requirements in this price range ..

while sz2000 is a bass monster but i wouldn't put it on the same league.

sony mdr1a i think would be comfortable, very light and bassy but sound quality and stage i don't find them very good.

may be more expensive alternatives like fostex th600 or th900, audeze lcd xc .. haven't heard them though

wait for an opinion with more experience ..

Dec 8, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #22,851 of 23,366
Can i get some recommendations on a headphone that has a similar sound to the V Moda M100 but with a wider/bigger sound stage.I dont think the M100s are bright but i dont want cans that are any brighter.I dont want to spend more than $500 CAD.I have my eyes on the Philips SHP9500 which are cheap enough to just try out.And i want to properly demo (with an amp) Sennheiser momentums.

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #22,853 of 23,366
Denon D600 would be a good bet. I own both and the Denon hits hard and has a bigger soundstage.

I found one pair for $373 CAD on amazon.ca.They are the Japanese model.And they are discontinued.

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #22,854 of 23,366
you make it difficult by requesting closed back. With roll off, the only recommendation I can make that will give you that good bass impact are the new audioquest nightowl.

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #22,855 of 23,366
Can i get some recommendations on a headphone that has a similar sound to the V Moda M100 but with a wider/bigger sound stage.I dont think the M100s are bright but i dont want cans that are any brighter.I dont want to spend more than $500 CAD.I have my eyes on the Philips SHP9500 which are cheap enough to just try out.And i want to properly demo (with an amp) Sennheiser momentums.

Only cans I can think of with similar sound, bass impact and not bright, are the audioquest nighthawks. Soundstage is better, but not dramatically

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #22,856 of 23,366
Treble reduction EQ and jamming out is a joy. Call it Beats syndrome, but I've always liked bass and mid-centric audio, and this gives the M-100 more of a Beats sound signature with clarity across all spectrums so it's a better experience overall.

Problem is, the Decibel Meter app I use on my iPhone was just updated and has been taking lower readings so I'm not sure what's accurate. Before it stated about halfway volume on a MacBook Pro was around 90dB and now max volume barely registers as 80 decibels on the app. Has anyone ever done a test with a proper decibel meter? Regardless I decided to listen at about 10-12 notches out of 16 on my MacBook Pro compared to the 6 I usually put it on and found with some treble reduction EQ as the treble is harsh at that level that the M-100 sounds fantastic, but my ears are also feeling a little plugged after 2-3 songs so I'm not sure exactly how loud 10-12/16 on a MacBook Pro (which reaches louder levels than an iPhone) is pushing it.

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #22,858 of 23,366
Wow, they're somewhat pricier that V-Moda.
Are they that much better?
it's a different level of sound,craftmanship, and they're brand new. For the near exact sound signature you are looking for, and more importantly closed back, there is no better option. You end up paying more when you demand specific things. Most headphones are not going to give you a rolled off upper register. Many headphones look to brightness as a sign of detail. Audioquest is like the one headphones company that actually thinks that brightness is artificial. Everything is existent in the sound signature though. Deep registering bass, mids, highs, but not in levels that feel peaky. And they knock! If you would be open to a semi open pair, with not a great deal of leakage, than the original Audioquest nighthawk can be found for about $350 brand new

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #22,859 of 23,366
Hi.  I have a pair of V Moda Crossfade M100 and they have a problem.  The volume is very quiet most of the time when I listen to them.  Sometimes when the cable moves suddenly the sound become louder briefly.  They just started doing this.  I noticed the button on the Android cable being pushed makes the sound way louder while the button is pressed or held down.  I am guessing that the part above where the cable plugs in to the earcup has a connection issue or a short.  What could the problem be?  It it easily fixable?  They are out of warranty.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #22,860 of 23,366
  Hi.  I have a pair of V Moda Crossfade M100 and they have a problem.  The volume is very quiet most of the time when I listen to them.  Sometimes when the cable moves suddenly the sound become louder briefly.  They just started doing this.  I noticed the button on the Android cable being pushed makes the sound way louder while the button is pressed or held down.  I am guessing that the part above where the cable plugs in to the earcup has a connection issue or a short.  What could the problem be?  It it easily fixable?  They are out of warranty.

Maybe the cable is wearing out. Have you tried flipping the cable and plugging the 45 degree end into the headphones and the straight plug into your source? You could also try using a different cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back