V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 19, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #22,502 of 23,366
  Got my M-100 Shadows today from Amazon in like new condition for $105.  The only thing mentioned was that the box showed signs of wear, no actual product damage.  They're new, I don't see any indication of use at all.  There was an "Inspected by Amazon" sticker put on the bottom of the box though.

If I could find them around $100, I'd pick them up in an instant. I just don't like their sound signature enough to pay much more (I found them for 140, which is a really good price), and I'm not even sure I would use them enough to justify paying more. I barely use my XS headphones (except for in bed) because I'm not in enough places to really use them. I'm usually at a desk with a computer and can use my Senn 600s (balanced) or have access to a full blown stereo system with speakers. Still, I'd love to have a pair since I should have a quality full size set that's portable.

I've been trying to talk my friend into getting a pair of the XS or M-100 since he's wanting a pair of really good headphones that he can cart places. Only problem is he's cheap and is dragging his feet on spending money on a decent pair.

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #22,503 of 23,366
@valkolton, what the heck are these?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1217654-REG/roland_m_100_aira_m_100_aira_headphones.html

Edit: So these came out in November 2015 and are just a limited edition M-100. Nothing different except for the shields and green Chevrons, which are sweet by the way.

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #22,504 of 23,366
Wow I Just found out that m-100 wings (the covers by the headband) are not changeable, I have the m-100 shadow the color I want and anything other than  silver or 1 shade of red does not look that good. I would have gotten the matte black if I knew that
I did not see any info on that on their web site, I assumed after seeing that custom plates dont come with wings that was why the stock wings were shown

Mar 26, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #22,505 of 23,366
Question -how does everyone use their mic cable? The design seems awkward because the part that plugs into the phone is angled instead of straight. This makes it awkward to hold or put in your pocket or even put the phone on the desk. I don't understand why the angled plug isn't designed to go into the headphones instead. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Edit: talking about the XS version but the same applies to other models.

And no, I can' t just reverse the way the cable is plugged in, because the mic and control hub are designed/meant to be up near the top/mouth area.

Mar 26, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #22,506 of 23,366
I like the angled plug, it makes it less vulnerable when it's in your pocket, less prone to getting bent or broken and it's never gotten in my way or bugged me when my phone or my player is on the desk or on the chair next to me,it's just a nice length for portable headphones, I think anyway.

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #22,507 of 23,366
Question -how does everyone use their mic cable? The design seems awkward because the part that plugs into the phone is angled instead of straight. This makes it awkward to hold or put in your pocket or even put the phone on the desk. I don't understand why the angled plug isn't designed to go into the headphones instead. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Edit: talking about the XS version but the same applies to other models.

And no, I can' t just reverse the way the cable is plugged in, because the mic and control hub are designed/meant to be up near the top/mouth area.

uhm... penny for your thoughts, just wondering how is the angled plugs making it awkward for your pocket and desk?

I'm just curious but I'm thinking if your phone is in your pocket UPRIGHT then the 45 degree angle plug should still stick out like the straight jack. and if your putting your phone in your pocket DOWNWARDS then the angle plug should only be bent slightly (not as severe as a straight angle)

in terms of desk if say your using a MacBook pro it should angle pretty well towards you when your say watching a video or listening to music casually. a straight angle would be again bent from the side.

I personally like the angled jack the 45 degree, I prefer a slightly raised 90 degree (but I can see that if your using an destop dac (it can interfere and bend a bit) , but I think the 45 degree is a good compromise between the straight and the 90 degree.

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #22,508 of 23,366
Gotta be honest, once i custom set my EQ, the CFW really does sound quality and thats on bluetooth, eq with cabled into a cayin c5 is awesome. These are far from bad sounding, my new sz1000 on flat eq sound super veiled, by time I EQ them they hit hard with crisp clear sound spectrum. Ive heard the senn over ear bluetooth and am still happy with my CFW, I would have refunded them and bought the senns otherwise

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #22,509 of 23,366
I like the angled plug, it makes it less vulnerable when it's in your pocket, less prone to getting bent or broken and it's never gotten in my way or bugged me when my phone or my player is on the desk or on the chair next to me,it's just a nice length for portable headphones, I think anyway.

I dunno, it's just annoying if I'm holding the phone, I'm finding. Now that I think about it, everything else you and @Tom22 said makes sense. I'm just super picky about stuff.

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #22,512 of 23,366
Any recommendations on specific EQ settings for gaming? I don't want a neutral sound, but my understanding is that the bass is a bit much, and the mids slightly recessed, so I'd like to balance that out a bit towards a larger soundstage that's more appropriate for video games. After scanning this thread, I found on of ya'lls EQ for the V-Moda LP2 and tried to copy it. 

http://i.imgur.com/RC5fKg1.png

I don't yet have the M-100, but these settings definitely made my HD555s (modded to 595) sound more interesting. 

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #22,513 of 23,366
I bought a pair of LP2s and ended up returning them after a few weeks to Amazon.  They were just way unbalanced (bass heavy) and just plain didn't sound very defined for me.  MDR7506s or Grado SR80i put them to shame for less money.  Albeit, I appreciated the build quality and cabling on the V-Modas.  

For anyone who has owned both the LPs or LP2s and the M-100s, is it worth giving V-Moda a second chance if I can find a good deal on M-100s?  My main cans are Senn HD650s and Phillips Fidelio X1s, but I want good closed headphones for work and travelling. 

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #22,514 of 23,366
I bought a pair of LP2s and ended up returning them after a few weeks to Amazon.  They were just way unbalanced (bass heavy) and just plain didn't sound very defined for me.  MDR7506s or Grado SR80i put them to shame for less money.  Albeit, I appreciated the build quality and cabling on the V-Modas.  

For anyone who has owned both the LPs or LP2s and the M-100s, is it worth giving V-Moda a second chance if I can find a good deal on M-100s?  My main cans are Senn HD650s and Phillips Fidelio X1s, but I want good closed headphones for work and travelling. 
Since the lp2's where too bass heavy for you, you'll probably hate the m100 then.

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #22,515 of 23,366
   Quote:

I don't think V-moda suits you.

The LP2 is too bassy then XS would not suit you either although XS is a bit better than LP2 though.

M-100 is more bassy than the on ears so also wont suit you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back