V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 1, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #22,006 of 23,366
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg
  We are testing a live VIDEO feed of engraving/3D:

Check it out!

https://vmoda.coachellarecordings.com/6464/#&panel1-7

I like the quote! 10% what happens to me 90% how I react ...

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #22,007 of 23,366
This thread has over 1400 pages so I will ask straight if you don't mind...

What these headphones have to offer to me considering they cost over 250 € here in Europe and others cheaper options don't?
I see a lot of hype over these ones on the net (similar syndrome as MTH-A50X I would say :) )

I'm looking for some quality closed-back headphones(or at least some that doesn't leak much sound) for movies, gaming and music on my PC, planning to get Fiio E10K later of course.
Want to get that live warm, pleasant, good sub-bass, punchy bass, good mids sound that will make me FEEL everything that is going on my screen. 

Oct 1, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #22,008 of 23,366

What these headphones have to offer to me considering they cost over 250 € here in Europe and others cheaper options don't?
I see a lot of hype over these ones on the net (similar syndrome as MTH-A50X I would say :) )

I'm looking for some quality closed-back headphones(or at least some that doesn't leak much sound) for movies, gaming and music on my PC, planning to get Fiio E10K later of course.
Want to get that live warm, pleasant, good sub-bass, punchy bass, good mids sound that will make me FEEL everything that is going on my screen. 

I do not think you would be disappointed with an M100. One of the best (if not the best) sounding closed headphones.
However if you can have an opened headphone (they do leak sound and do not isolate) I would definitely recommend to go for a good opened headphone with a nice DAC and/or amp. Opened back phones give you the best music experience due to their opened airy, spacey and natural sound. IEMs and closed back phones have their positives, but they loose too much on the other side. 
After speakers opened headphones give you the best music experience that is a fact.
 Over £300 there are not too many closed cans and not too many factory made IEMs. This is the empire of opened cans. There are different classes of course, but opened cans are just a different caste all together. Opened dynamic, planar, electrostatic... All are above closed and IEM world, if we are honest.
 And the average head-fier according to my experience can afford high end dynamics. (Or low end planars.)
So according to my experience I would recommend to go for a good opened can like Fidelio X2 (probably with an amp despite of the low impedance) than just a closed can and a player. 
 Budget and music preference determines what you should buy.

Oct 1, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #22,009 of 23,366

just bought them at Zococity, you get a v-moda xl pads for free..
http://zococity.es/v-moda-crossfade-m-100.html

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #22,011 of 23,366
I didn't really get what does really flat frequencies response mean. Even if I see these words everywhere.

It means that it sounds as dull and boring as watching a turd dry; that's what it means. 
blink.gif

Ha ha, last night I was cranking up The Knack's 1979 hit song "My Sharona" through my portable headphone rig, using one of my extreme EQ presets in Rockbox that suits that song best, along with the bass boost switch on the Cayin C5 portable amp turned on (as usual). Massive, throbbing beat; amazing, wide-open soundstage; crisp highs; perfectly-blended mid-bass and midrange without coloration.

And then, for comparison, I turned off the EQ in Rockbox and set everything to flat, and turned off the bass boost switch on the amp. The result?

Sounded like changing from a giant sound system...........to a little Fisher-Price record player. And this was while still using the M-100 headphones and the Cayin C5 amp!

Some people say you shouldn't use an EQ with headphones, and should get a pair of headphones that naturally produces the sound you want.

OK, then,...do they make any headphone earcups with an enclosure space of 1.75 cubic feet per subwoofer, filled halfway with pillow-stuffing, and with rear-firing bass drivers? I can only imagine how that would look and feel on my head. I wonder how large and expensive it would be for V-Moda to make a pair of custom 3D shields for it. 
biggrin.gif

Furthermore, I also usually change the EQ preset each time I change the song, because every song is different. (There are more than 100 EQ presets that get used on a regular basis.)

So instead of doing that, maybe I could just carry around 100 different headphones with these massive drivers and gargantuan earcups that I could swap out with each song. Yeah,...that's it. 
wink_face.gif

Oh well,...just a fun little pondering to lighten the mood and brighten the day. 
atsmile.gif

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #22,012 of 23,366

I do not think you would be disappointed with an M100. One of the best (if not the best) sounding closed headphones.

While I think the M-100 fits @Tic-Tac 's need well, the part "one of the best (...) closed headphones" is misleading at best. And I do like the M-100... but in sound quality there is a really large gap between e.g. the DT1770 and the M-100. So lets keep this realistic: The M-100 is fine for what it is and gives lots of fun.

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #22,013 of 23,366

While I think the M-100 fits @Tic-Tac 's need well, the part "one of the best (...) closed headphones" is misleading at best. And I do like the M-100... but in sound quality there is a really large gap between e.g. the DT1770 and the M-100. So lets keep this realistic: The M-100 is fine for what it is and gives lots of fun.

Yes. The gap is $350. For $600 there are many choices I would get over the M-100, which is currently retailing for $250.

Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog - $499.99
Fostex TH-600 - $599.99
Beyerdynamic DT1770 - $599.99
Beyerdynamic T70 - $499.00

But none of these are really portable or anywhere near as compact and all cost double or more. Plus they all require a powerful amp, beyond a FiiO E10K, to really shine.

In the $250 range, there isn't much competition. Maybe the DT770 or ATH-M50X and save $70?

@Tic-Tac I honestly don't like the M-100 for gaming. They sound fun and immersive, but most games have too much bass in their sound mixes and combined with the bass of the M-100 it becomes overwhelming. Positional audio cues get muddled and the sound space becomes claustrophobic, especially if you're playing first-person shooters and the like. It's great for movies and music, but I think EQing the bass down some would really help with gaming. Then again, I thought the M-100 was good until I got an AKG Q701 and experienced what an open sound stage could do. I guess the mantra stands.

"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet."

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #22,014 of 23,366

Agreed.

Oct 2, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #22,015 of 23,366
  But none of these are really portable or anywhere near as compact and all cost double or more. Plus they all require a powerful amp, beyond a FiiO E10K, to really shine.

In the $250 range, there isn't much competition. Maybe the DT770 or ATH-M50X and save $70?

You can always narrow down until one product is the best (maybe because its the only one still fitting the narrowed down category :wink:

Point is that the generic statement of 'best closed' does not hold true. I would even say it is not the best in its price range -- but what it does better compared with others of around 300,- is that the M-100 is more fun and engaging. And folds. It *does* have its merits. And there are reasons I still own mine...

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #22,016 of 23,366
Originally Posted by DiscoProJoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sounded like changing from a giant sound system...........to a little Fisher-Price record player. And this was while still using the M-100 headphones and the Cayin C5 amp!

Wow.  It must be a really ****ty headphone if it sounds like this with an EQ.  I don't think I'm ever going to listen to it, let alone buy it
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Classic-Record-Player/dp/B003CGVCXS

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #22,017 of 23,366

JVC SZ1000?  Get an amp (Schiit Magni or something), and it is gr8, m8.  It actually uses what's pretty much a subwoofer in a headphone, soooo.
You could even EQ for more bass.  The M100 and ATH-M50X are definitely overhyped (M50X is moreso), and if you aren't using them on the go, well, there really isn't much of a point of getting the M100 over the SZ1k.

Oct 5, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #22,018 of 23,366
Oct 5, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #22,019 of 23,366
  JVC SZ1000?  Get an amp (Schiit Magni or something), and it is gr8, m8.  It actually uses what's pretty much a subwoofer in a headphone, soooo.
You could even EQ for more bass.  The M100 and ATH-M50X are definitely overhyped (M50X is moreso), and if you aren't using them on the go, well, there really isn't much of a point of getting the M100 over the SZ1k.

Nope, I will not use them on the go. I've only seen JVC HA-SZ2000 as a general recommendation for a bass-heavy headphone but I will definitely look up for these ones. I'm a little afraid that bass will choke mids to be honest...

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #22,020 of 23,366

Nope, I will not use them on the go. I've only seen JVC HA-SZ2000 as a general recommendation for a bass-heavy headphone but I will definitely look up for these ones. I'm a little afraid that bass will choke mids to be honest...

Well, they're not really that bass heavy by default.  They're mainly basshead material, because you can EQ them, and they'll bash your head harder than an orthro XD.  They SZ1k and 2k both use a seperate driver for lower frequencies, so they can have much more subbass than many other headphones without added distortion.  If you get the 1k and an amp that's powerful enough (Like one of the Magnis), you should be set.  Just make sure you have the cables to connect the Magni to your PC soundcard/ AUX thing.  Have any questions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back