V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Sep 3, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #21,017 of 23,366
Well we all have different ears (and heads and brains) and what works for one person doesn't necessarily translate to another. I have the M-80, XS and M-100 and I prefer the sound of the M-100 overall to the other 2, but by a small margin. For movies and gaming the M-100's work much better due to their larger sound stage and deeper bass extension. For music, I go back and forth depending on my mood. I find that my listening preferences align pretty well with Tyll's (sensitive to treble, prefer a darker tonality), but those preferences don't apply to everyone. I for one am an M-100 fan, but I know there are many who aren't. Is it possible to be "bass sensitive?"

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #21,018 of 23,366
Just to join in I'll say that I find the bass to be too much on the m-100 BUT I find it to be well rendered for its price point. Tight and punchy bass that hits low. If I EQ it down I'm actually quite happy with them. Without EQ they are far too bass heavy IMO.

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #21,019 of 23,366
  Well we all have different ears (and heads and brains) and what works for one person doesn't necessarily translate to another. I have the M-80, XS and M-100 and I prefer the sound of the M-100 overall to the other 2, but by a small margin. For movies and gaming the M-100's work much better due to their larger sound stage and deeper bass extension. For music, I go back and forth depending on my mood. I find that my listening preferences align pretty well with Tyll's (sensitive to treble, prefer a darker tonality), but those preferences don't apply to everyone. I for one am an M-100 fan, but I know there are many who aren't. Is it possible to be "bass sensitive?"

There's a lot of factors to audio device preferences.
1) Source
2) Audio track
3) Not all headphones are created equal

Most of my songs are treble/mids emphasized, so I have no problem with listening to the m100's whenever I feel like it. However I absolutely dislike using the M100's with the FiiO X3, which is already a bright device. The m100 has a 2khz peak that I don't enjoy.

So in a nutshell, there could be such thing as "bass sensitive"

Sep 4, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #21,021 of 23,366
  obviously, the OPEN $300 Philips X1, $400 Senny hd600, and $1,400 beyer T1 are going to have amazing soundstage compared to the closed $300 M100. What kind of comparison is that? =P not a very fair one hahah!

Almost all open headphones have soundstage that easily beat closed headphones simply due to their open design. You need to compare the M100's soundstage against other closed competitors. Honestly, for me the soundstage of most closed headphones are about the same and nothing to really write home about. The only standout soundstage for a closed pair of headphones in my mind was the akg k550.

yeah i know it so well that my earlier posts aint a very fair comparasion lol, what i want to say is, soundstage is completely subjective to one's ears, one like me who always used the open design in my whole life will simply says there are no soundstage in M-100.

its so hard to communicate something through the english languange lol

what comes to my mind is definitely the DT770 which is on par with the M-100 when it comes to soundstage , but the sibilance are so fatiguing on the beyer and i ended up selling it after 2 weeks

Tis true, but I still don't find soundstage a strength of the M100. 

I think most reviews tend to make the top of the line gear seem much, much better compared to lower priced equipment.

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #21,022 of 23,366
Sep 6, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #21,023 of 23,366
  White and Shadow M-100s are now $259.99 on Amazon.

not bad at all. only $9.99 more expensive than the cheapest deal I've ever seen for them - $250 at guitarcenter using their holidy coupon.

The M100 held their price for the past 3 years. I don't think V-Moda generally lets their retailers sell at a discount. Wonder if this means a new 'flagship' is on the horizon

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #21,025 of 23,366
  Did we ever figure out what the "Revolver" was?

We know it is supposedly the code-name for the next flagship and the name comes from the fact that the earcups will swivel like a lot of other DJ headphones.

First came up like 3 or more years ago, sooooo who knows when it will actually be released.

I know V-Moda is cutting-edge and likes to test their stuff like crazy, but damnn, you would imagine that swiveling earcups would be easier to figure out. hahah!

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #21,026 of 23,366
  We know it is supposedly the code-name for the next flagship and the name comes from the fact that the earcups will swivel like a lot of other DJ headphones.

First came up like 3 or more years ago, sooooo who knows when it will actually be released.

I know V-Moda is cutting-edge and likes to test their stuff like crazy, but damnn, you would imagine that swiveling earcups would be easier to figure out. hahah!

I'm not thinking they're just M100s with revolving cups, though, if what I've seen is any indication. Maybe that's why the M100 is seeing a slight price drop? Getting ready to unleash it?

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #21,027 of 23,366
If my conversation with V-MODA's VP a few months back is any indication, Revolver should be coming soon. Sorry about the long quotes, but I feel it puts the blurbs in context.

Its funny, I've made ANC, swivel and bluetooth headphones for many years. I used them every day and then I put them in drawers. I have never sold them.  My mantra is "I won't sell a product until I'd use it myself".  The over processing and ADC to DAC to processing messes up the sound badly.  

SWIVEL - is it dead like the flip phone?
I really thought swivels were the solution ~10 years ago when I developed Revolver, but then all the DJs said "Crossfade LP is the perfect swivel, the headband is the swivel". And therefore it doesn't break, is sleeker and is lighter.

I think the swivel for DJS was like flip-phones.  Everyone was doing it, so everyone thought it was essential.  But then, the brands learned the swivel adds a huge defect failure point, similarly cell phones produced the current smartphones with round corners and rectangle screens with less buttons and swivels. WHY?  Defects.

Remember the high defect rates of blackberry trackballs?  EVERY FEATURE THAT IS PHYSICAL CAN CAUSE HUGE DEFECTS.  Less is more. It took forever for me to approve M-100's hinge and we designed it ourselves.  I didn't trust any other hinge in the world, I had to do it on my own.

The most popular DJ headphones today DON'T swivel, I think people are finally starting to realize the negative aspects and alternative ways to monitor.

HAVING SAID THAT
Revolver will probably swivel... will it make it less durable for DJs vs Crossfade LP2, YES.  Will it still be durable, YES.  That is why I was thinking of marketing the folding/revolving units to audiohpiles as they take care of the gear better.

Will Revolver EVER come out?  I don't know... It is my "holy grail" headphone and maybe it just makes me develop the others with itt's technology.  Like a Formula 1  race car for a car co.

Every second of the day I think about durability and QC, I have an obligation to make gear that performs on stage and I take it very seriously.

Cheers-

-v

LONG LIVE ANALOG

regardless, we are completely sold out for months and our only goal is 100% customer satisfaction.  

If the M-100 sound signature doesn't wow you as a weapon of choice for its mission (and I believe it will wow many), then I will make another model down the road for the other musical tastes.  I actually have two sonic signatures in my head that I want my future "Revolver" to be that will come out sometime within the next 5 years.  Will Revolver be the best sounding headphone ever made?  In my mind, yes... but actually the true answer is NO.  The GOAT (greatest of all time) is too subjective, the best headphone in the world is what YOU are completely happy with and that is the only metric that matters.   

MY GREATEST OF ALL TIME (G.O.A.T.) SCORECARD
I have an internal scorecard made up of thousands of variables that I always guess before I launch products.  I score what I feel is my personal grade and what what I THINK will be the consumer's grade.  In my mind, I thought M-80 was a 92. Yet it was almost a 96 or even higher according to consumers.  M-100 is about a 98 to me, and I want Revolver to be 110+.  Keep in mind, I have to always think of "use cases" of our customer base as Steve on CNET said. I also usually score products against 2 primary products that I decided to compete against or I love myself (such as my former lover, the Pioneer HDJ-2000).  Interestingly, for the first time ever, M-100 had no primary competitors at all to compete against except to beat my own creation - M-80.  I was competing with myself, which leads to an "infinite loop" of revisions.

1 INFINITE WAY STEVE JOBS?
I have no idea if the above mindset is why Steve Jobs created Apple's primary address as "1 infinite loop way", but in my mind as a former programmer and hacker, I think I may have cracked the code by brute force?

​
 ​

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #21,028 of 23,366
If my conversation with V-MODA's VP a few months back is any indication, Revolver should be coming soon. Sorry about the long quotes, but I feel it puts the blurbs in context.

snip

[/quote]
It exists. V-M have trademarked the name.
http://www.trademarkia.com/revolver-77532851.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back