V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Sep 1, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #21,003 of 23,366
  Thats what the speculation is. It is unlikely to be a big jump over the m100 i assume but for me coming from a crossfade lp I think its worth a little more wait!

Wow really? I didn't really like the other V-moda headphones except for the m-80 (Although way too small for my head) and the LP2's (Which were way too bass heavy and lossy). So I think Revolver, if it ever comes out, will be a huge improvement. As the m-100 were for me and is still my fave headphone^^.

Sep 1, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #21,004 of 23,366
if you dont mind waiting a few more years, then sure hahah. the revolver will basically be the m100 with spinning earcups. prob be aimed towards DJs so has to retain the similar bass-heavy sound sig. can't rly go any bassier than the m100 & still be respected as 'audiophile' headphones, sooo sound sig will prob be essentially the same. considering launch price of the m100 is $310, wonder what kinda price hike it come with for the same product with spinny earcups. I imagine within the $300 to $400 range. over $400, the product would just die. that is simply too pricey.

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #21,005 of 23,366
  I recently purchased some M-100's and I do no not regret them, however sometimes I wish they were a little louder. Does anyone have a recommendation on an AMP that would go well with them? 

Running my M100's off a FIIO E12 with my iPhone5S + Boxed my Sansa Clip+ and that can play either with or without the E12 :)

Just got my XL Pads and now my ears feel so much better now! :)

Sep 3, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #21,006 of 23,366
  I recently purchased some M-100's and I do no not regret them, however sometimes I wish they were a little louder. Does anyone have a recommendation on an AMP that would go well with them? 

Amp only - C&C BH2 (around $100)

Amp & Dac - JDS Labs C5D (around $250)

I've got both, and absolutely love the pairing with my M100s.  Quite a bit more than any of the Fiio products I've had in house (e17, e07k, e12).

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #21,007 of 23,366
I don't know what I was expecting but these were really underwhelming (bad, even). I quite liked the M80s but these are definitely not for me. Everything I've read about this headphone puts the bass and soundstage at the top of what they do best. However, the bass is far too sloppy. It messes with the midrange and makes the whole headphone sound muddled. The soundstaging is okay for a closed phone, but they are kind of cheating, since it's not really closed. The M80s, to my ears, sound better. The ATH-M50x sound better as well.

A shame because I really liked their design/accessories. These are going back for sure.

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #21,008 of 23,366
The only real difference between the M80 and the M100 is the M80 has more subdued bass and sounds more closed in. Yeah, the M100s have those vents but that doesn't mean they're "not really closed". These things sound absolutely NOTHING like an open-back. They're closed back, period. 

Sorry you didn't like the M100, but I really do find is odd that you say that while preferring the M80 and (more bafflingly) the M50 given that the M50 is such a bland experience by comparison. Almost no one I've known who likes bassier headphones dislikes these, it's usually the people who prefer flat or mid/high-centric cans and are quick to call anything vaguely bassy as "Beats-style" that have such problems with 'em. 

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #21,009 of 23,366
  The only real difference between the M80 and the M100 is the M80 has more subdued bass and sounds more closed in. Yeah, the M100s have those vents but that doesn't mean they're "not really closed". These things sound absolutely NOTHING like an open-back. They're closed back, period.

Sorry you didn't like the M100, but I really do find is odd that you say that while preferring the M80 and (more bafflingly) the M50 given that the M50 is such a bland experience by comparison. Almost no one I've known who likes bassier headphones dislikes these, it's usually the people who prefer flat or mid/high-centric cans and are quick to call anything vaguely bassy as "Beats-style" that have such problems with 'em.

I'm not a basshead, but it doesn't mean I'm not entitled to my own opinion. I also own a pair of XB500s, and while not as refined as the M100s, I feel like it represents better value. I enjoy the XB500s about as much as I enjoy the M100s with EDM (just about the only genre I like the M100s with). I also owned a pair of D2000s, very bassy and one which which I quite enjoyed. If the D2000's were an 8/10, the M100s would be about a 4/10. They aren't even in the same stratosphere. Obviously not portable, but the price is comparable. I've head the D2000's bass described as boomy and uncontrolled, but if they are considered boomy, the M100s bass would be purely mud.

Also, I never claimed these should sound like an open back headphone, but the vents make them semi-open, and I would have expected them to have a little bit more air in the soundstage. Reviews (like from headfonia) pegged them as soundstage monsters for a closed/semi-open headphone. I found them merely average, even compared to fully closed headphones. They're only slightly wider than the M50, even though imaging is about on par. The similar closed-but-not-really-closed headphones D2000s sound MUCH more open, vibrant, lively.

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #21,010 of 23,366
  I'm not a basshead, but it doesn't mean I'm not entitled to my own opinion. I also own a pair of XB500s, and while not as refined as the M100s, I feel like it represents better value. I enjoy the XB500s about as much as I enjoy the M100s with EDM (just about the only genre I like the M100s with). I also owned a pair of D2000s, very bassy and one which which I quite enjoyed. If the D2000's were an 8/10, the M100s would be about a 4/10. They aren't even in the same stratosphere. Obviously not portable, but the price is comparable. I've head the D2000's bass described as boomy and uncontrolled, but if they are considered boomy, the M100s bass would be purely mud.

Also, I never claimed these should sound like an open back headphone, but the vents make them semi-open, and I would have expected them to have a little bit more air in the soundstage. Reviews (like from headfonia) pegged them as soundstage monsters for a closed/semi-open headphone. I found them merely average, even compared to fully closed headphones. They're only slightly wider than the M50, even though imaging is about on par. The similar closed-but-not-really-closed headphones D2000s sound MUCH more open, vibrant, lively.

hate to interject but..... totally fair  of course your entitled to your own opinion! 

i thought the m100 sounded really good, and i think their above avg in terms of soundstage. but i agree i read a lot of reviews that was boasting a MASSIVE soundstage.

the m80s are a fine pair (i would think) i only owned the xs (and they were really good as well)

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #21,011 of 23,366
You have to take reviews on a headphone like the m100 with a grain of salt. Because they're "boutique" headphones the majority of reviews are going to be from people who aren't totally on top of the high-end headphone world, so you'll end up with people raving about a "massive" soundstage that's, in reality, just "pretty big for this type". 

IMO the M100 is still my favorite sub-$500 can and is amazing for what it does, but I would not find myself raving about a wide soundstage or supreme clarity. Then again, both of those actually work in its FAVOR because it's meant for contemporary music where intimacy and a rolled-off top end make it easier to listen at high volume. 

Sep 3, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #21,012 of 23,366
pretty much agree with SomeGuyDude dude above me, well one is free to express their own feelin about things anyway

for me the soundstage of M-100 is simply non-existent considering the cans i've used before (Fidelio X1, HD600, T1 etc)

but again you cant take a review of a cans too serious

Sep 3, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #21,013 of 23,366
  You have to take reviews on a headphone like the m100 with a grain of salt. Because they're "boutique" headphones the majority of reviews are going to be from people who aren't totally on top of the high-end headphone world, so you'll end up with people raving about a "massive" soundstage that's, in reality, just "pretty big for this type".

I would think people from Headfonia would understand what a large soundstage is though.

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #21,014 of 23,366
Tyll certainly knows what he's talking about though. I find his reviews spot on. 
beyersmile.png

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #21,015 of 23,366

IMO the M100 is still my favorite sub-$500 can and is amazing for what it does, but I would not find myself raving about a wide soundstage or supreme clarity. Then again, both of those actually work in its FAVOR because it's meant for contemporary music where intimacy and a rolled-off top end make it easier to listen at high volume. 

You make a lot of good points here. Mmm... I think at the sub-$500 mark, there are a ton of options that are much better than the M100 (esp in terms of value for sonic performance) considering the numerous headphones on sale nowadays. For example, you listen to the bass of the $300 HE-400 and the M100's bass actually sounds muddy/bloated in comparison. There are a lot of options with more linear sound signatures as well, but that is a preference type thing.

The M100 is a solid contender in the closed, portable mid-range category if you are looking for that v-shaped sound and bass-heavy headphones. Probably the best closed portable basshead headphones in the sub-$300 range. However, there are a lot of options out there with better sound quality at similar or lower price.

pretty much agree with SomeGuyDude dude above me, well one is free to express their own feelin about things anyway

for me the soundstage of M-100 is simply non-existent considering the cans i've used before (Fidelio X1, HD600, T1 etc) but again you cant take a review of a cans too serious

obviously, the OPEN $300 Philips X1, $400 Senny hd600, and $1,400 beyer T1 are going to have amazing soundstage compared to the closed $300 M100. What kind of comparison is that? =P not a very fair one hahah!

Almost all open headphones have soundstage that easily beat closed headphones simply due to their open design. You need to compare the M100's soundstage against other closed competitors. Honestly, for me the soundstage of most closed headphones are about the same and nothing to really write home about. The only standout soundstage for a closed pair of headphones in my mind was the akg k550.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back