V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Apr 8, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #20,102 of 23,366
  anyone know what kind of "screw driver the m100/ xs " uses? i'm using the ones that came with my xs and either the tool bent or the screws on my 100 got warped

which is odd because today was the first day i tried unscrewing the shields out on my m100s (tried to do the tap mod, on the vent) to see if it could lower the bass a bit--> guess i can't do it now

and the name of the screws as well? maybe i could replace it?

It is a hexagon Allen wrench screwdriver (1.5mm) http://v-moda.com/over-ear-shields/

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #20,103 of 23,366
  It is a hexagon Allen wrench screwdriver (1.5mm) http://v-moda.com/over-ear-shields/

thank you!

i figured id post this below is my review on the m-100s, the matte black is growing on me  i just started a new youtube channel not too long ago, still working on the kinks i would appreciate any comments and suggestions! I couldn't cover everything in the review otherwise it'd be too long, but i'll add to the comments and description

please like and subscribe =) and thanks for your time

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #20,104 of 23,366
Looking forward to my Matte Black M100s! I sold my Shadow M100s and bought the Matte black.
Shadow looks good, but it wears pretty easily and you have to clean it with microfiber cloth every so often, else it looks tacky instead of lethal cool.

What do you all think? Shadow or Matte?

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #20,105 of 23,366
Looking forward to my Matte Black M100s! I sold my Shadow M100s and bought the Matte black.
Shadow looks good, but it wears pretty easily and you have to clean it with microfiber cloth every so often, else it looks tacky instead of lethal cool.

All my headphones are matte :frowning2:

I prefer matte though, simply because as you said; easier to keep clean. However, I own shadows because I like the shine :)

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #20,106 of 23,366
 Shadow is the only one that has the 'high end' alcanterra on the headband. I saw some interview with Val Kolton where he said this. 

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #20,107 of 23,366
 Shadow is the only one that has the 'high end' alcanterra on the headband. I saw some interview with Val Kolton where he said this. 

I always assumed it was velvet. I didn't like it, it showed signs of wear the more and more you used it, compared to the matte black ('leather') m100s.

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #20,108 of 23,366
I always assumed it was velvet. I didn't like it, it showed signs of wear the more and more you used it, compared to the matte black ('leather') m100s.

Alcantera is sorta like a mix between fabric and suede. It can show oils and fingerprints easily but is also fairly easy to clean if you know how. Google it. 

It's used in supercars a lot these days and is good stuff. 

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #20,109 of 23,366
When I went to buy mine at the Microsoft store,I wanted the shadow but they only had the Matte black.But I'm glad I bought the Matte black.I changed the shields to silver which looks sharp.But the originals also look great.The thing I wanted them to have is the words V Moda on red like the shadow.

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #20,110 of 23,366
I've got an issue where the cord leading from the headband to earcup is longer on one side than the other, likely from an accidental pulling. Anybody have a fix?

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #20,112 of 23,366
Having a nice day borrowing my friend's M50's. 
Seeing as the M-100 are as a good upgrade to the M-50.. Do cymbals on the M-100 sound as artificial as the M50? 

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #20,113 of 23,366

MATTE vs. SHADOW - A SALES # QUAGMIRE

PRE-PS- Sorry typos do not have much time!

Forum team - the sales data of Matte vs Shadow is AMAZING and a quagmire that we cannot solve.  When we first launched M-100, Matte Black destroyed Shadow in sales.  After New Years, Shadow beat Matte Black.  Since then, it is wildly neck to neck and has huge variations month to month that we cannot make sense of. I will ask my CFO if we can share a graph of Matte vs Shadow vs White sales, but it is quite amazing.  There is ZERO logical sense in the drastic sales patterns.  We just have to make black models equally.  

Perhaps it is customization and the adoption of M-100 as a standard for DJ use too?

Here is my theory variables:

1) Matte black is better for customization as it works with all color shields and cables (early adopters had time to customize but normal customers did not) 
2) Shadow is unique with the suede (our suede is durable as we coat it and we offer lifetime 50% off policies for extreme abuse)
3) Matte somehow is the weapon of choice for Musicians/DJs

It is sad as Shadow was the M-80 "launch color" and was inspired from Italian sports car interiors, Apple's retail team friends and even Deadmau5' manager who said we should make a mouse hair headphone. However, we chose not to make an XS in Shadow color right now as we are making more shields and cable colors to complement them.  

Many other brands pushed red/black too hard and it was copied by everybody. We moved our brand logo and everything to a dark red years ago from Pantone 186 to 188c to stay different.  The red we chose is deep and sexy compared to others. However, we still wanted to rocket ship to venus versus zag so we moved to black/white with a hint of orange as a brand that declares we are all about vintage virtues. (ROYGBIV? - no we'll skip yellow for sure) 

I admit, I love dark red, suede and stitching as it is like high-end cars so it will be a staple to the V-MODA collection forever.  However, we will be more seasonal in our CMF selections (Colors/Materials/Finish). 

#SOMEZIGSOMEZAGVMODAROCKETSTOVENUS

Future Shields or Ideas?
We made a lot of variations of M-100 in development including Avicii Headphones made from Ralph Lauren Denim & Supply denim  (that are in stores) and a 24k edition, but we never sold them.  What do you want in the future if we release a special color?  I made a matte green shield that is AMAZING with Matte Black, the best IMO... it'll be available in a few days. SURPRISE.

-V

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #20,115 of 23,366
If I had to guess, it might be related to the fact that Shadow doesn't seem to be available at many physical stores. I was at a Brookstone in NJ and AC Gears in NYC and both had Matte but no Shadow. I would have picked up a set of Shadow if I'd been able to find one in person (I didn't want to go test them out then NOT leave the store with them!). Then a while later, as momentum built, people started ordering them online and Shadow took over. I'd be curious to see that graph done if retailer is taken into account. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back