V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Apr 6, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #20,071 of 23,366
+1 The M100 does sound great out of my CEntrance hifi m8 and Schiit Asgard 2

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #20,073 of 23,366
Well I've joined the M100 club. Just got them last week and really digging them a lot so far. 

They sound great directly out of my iPhone in addition to out of my Centrance Hi-Fi M8 and my desktop Burson Conductor. The amps make 'em sound a bit better, but they certainly sound great even with out an amp. 

Congrats, Tristan...what took you so long?!? :)

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #20,074 of 23,366
I turn mine 90 degrees so it is perpendicular to the headphone cup, and pull--it comes right out.  Maybe a pair of needle nose pliers on the little tab would give a better grip if you have trouble grabbing it with two fingers.  It is a very small tab.

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #20,075 of 23,366
I've had these a few months now. Here are some more of my thoughts.

I'm no longer in the market for headphones. These are exactly what I was looking for. The frequency response curve and level of fidelity are both fantastic. I listen to a wide range of genres and the sound of these works great for all of it.

These certainly sound great right out of Galaxy S3, but the HRT Microstreamer really takes them to another level in every aspect. They have so much fidelity that the DAC makes quite an audible difference.

The XL pads make them really really comfortable. They should have been the original equipment. The only downside is that they no longer go in the case with the XL pads without smashing up. It probably won't hurt the memory foam, but I don't like to put them in the case like that. 

Apparently headphones are a fashion accessory now. I've never thought about headphones that way, but these are far more aesthetically pleasing than almost everything out there. They're like the Lambo Aventador of headphones. They make the beats studio look like a toy(mentioned those because they are the most commonly spotted can in the pricerange).

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #20,076 of 23,366
  I've had these a few months now. Here are some more of my thoughts.

I'm no longer in the market for headphones. These are exactly what I was looking for. The frequency response curve and level of fidelity are both fantastic. I listen to a wide range of genres and the sound of these works great for all of it.

These certainly sound great right out of Galaxy S3, but the HRT Microstreamer really takes them to another level in every aspect. They have so much fidelity that the DAC makes quite an audible difference.

The XL pads make them really really comfortable. They should have been the original equipment. The only downside is that they no longer go in the case with the XL pads without smashing up. It probably won't hurt the memory foam, but I don't like to put them in the case like that. 

Apparently headphones are a fashion accessory now. I've never thought about headphones that way, but these are far more aesthetically pleasing than almost everything out there. They're like the Lambo Aventador of headphones. They make the beats studio look like a toy(mentioned those because they are the most commonly spotted can in the pricerange).

I'm glad you're enjoying your headphones. If you love them, do yourself a favour, and leave headfi with your wallet still intact!

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #20,077 of 23,366

If you love them, do yourself a favour, and leave headfi with your wallet still intact!

That's the problem...if he loves them, he might try to find something he loves even more. 

That is how must of us get in trouble.

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #20,078 of 23,366

That's the problem...if he loves them, he might try to find something he loves even more. 

That is how must of us get in trouble.

Yeah. The biggest folly of Head-Fi browsing is "oh man, if I love what I already have this much, I can't even imagine how much I'll love an upgrade!!" and people start dumping money into products that cost three times their current when there's no need. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #20,079 of 23,366

Yeah. The biggest folly of Head-Fi browsing is "oh man, if I love what I already have this much, I can't even imagine how much I'll love an upgrade!!" and people start dumping money into products that cost three times their current when there's no need. 

You win some...and you lose some.

All the stuff I have right now came into my possession as a result of upgraditis.  I love all my headphones and I think they are worth the time and money I spent.   If I had to do it again I would buy every single headphone I own right now.   The second time around I would be able to skip all the crappy models I sold, traded or gifted to friends and family.

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #20,081 of 23,366
  I turn mine 90 degrees so it is perpendicular to the headphone cup, and pull--it comes right out.  Maybe a pair of needle nose pliers on the little tab would give a better grip if you have trouble grabbing it with two fingers.  It is a very small tab.

Yeah, I had to resort to needle nose pliers, and to test it out again, I still needed them. It's a shame getting the cap off can be such a pain.

Anyway, I wanted to remove the cap because I've run into a strange problem with my V-Moda's. I've had them for about a month now, and I'm not sure when this problem arose, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the beginning. On many things I listen to, I'll experience some kind of static-like feeling in the cup with the wire connected. The thing is is that I don't actually hear anything, it's a distortion that affects the feeling of my ear. I first thought something was caught in the inner cup, but there was nothing. It's really variable and can be mild at times and quite irritating others, and follows a variety of patterns. I had V-Moda send me another pair because I was concerned I had a defect in one of the hinges (turns out it's very common and the other pair has it "worse"- it's not a defect, so no worries), but I'm glad they sent it, because I experience just about the same with the other pair, and I experienced it almost outright. It's just about the same as my original pair, although I haven't tested those as much because they're not as broken in and less comfortable. And I mentioned it's on the headphone cup with the wire- at first I thought it might have just been that particular headphone, but changing wires merely makes the other headphone cup do the same.

To top it off, I think I've started hearing bits of distortion in the cup without the wire, and the even when I'm not listening to anything, the distortion can still be slightly present. It doesn't matter if I change wires either, but admittedly, I only have V-Moda wires right now.

I'm thinking it's either the V-Moda wires (which I don't like at all even beyond this issue) or something internal on my computer/sound settings. I've never run into anything like this before.

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #20,082 of 23,366

I'm glad you're enjoying your headphones. If you love them, do yourself a favour, and leave headfi with your wallet still intact!

I think these are the only headphones currently on the market that suit me exactly. So my wallet is safe... for now!

When some really good closed backs for mixing and mastering come to market I will be in trouble. The Focal Spirit Professional came dangerously close.

Apr 7, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #20,085 of 23,366
  Anyone tried running these balanced? Is it even possible?

The m100's come with a share cable, what I basically did was connect the 2nd cable with a sony cable off my mdr-mk2's and connect it to the righter earcup(because the speakeasy cable has some resistance for some odd reason). Honestly couldn't tell a difference, even when I was pumping bass through it, both drivers sounded the same balanced compared to single sided. There definitely wasn't any volume boost from what I could tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back